1911 - Property Acquired by Porcupine Mining Company from G. Bruce.
One of these claims that was brought to attention was strongly determined as the Hunter Claim that was situated on the east shoreline of Porcupine Lake. The Hunter Gold Mine is also located on the south side of the Porcupine Town-site, within the Cochrane District of Timmins, Ontario, Canada. A small amount of diamond drilling had taken place prior to the company purchasing this mining operation in 1910. It wouldn't be till 1911, when extensive development was under taken by the Porcupine Lake Mining Company. Examinations of this area had started to have exposed a small amount of rock near the shoreline of Porcupine Lake that showed gold in places. For the most part it was rather stated by the company that this gold showing was discovered within a quartz and schist formation. Explorations at the time time were mainly focus on developing trenches, and several pits in order to conduct further prospecting of this gold showing. Other statements from the company had stated that the gold does not appear in a define vein, but rather in a disturbed zone, which has a well defined footwall. Prior to exploring this area further it also became reported that this zone had strike N.E, and S.W, while the dip was 60 degrees N.W. Diamond drilling on the disturbed zone was undertaken during the winter season, and had outline it to be 750 feet in total length by the end of 1911.
1912 - Porcupine Lake Mining Company
Further engineering was now being conducted when an incline shaft was sunk to a depth of 115 feet below the surface. It was within 1912, when development became suspended as the company was re-organizing it self, and the mine site.
1913 - Porcupine Lake Mining Company - Re-organized into Porcupine Lake Gold Mines, Ltd.
The No. 1 Porcupine Lake Shaft was continued to even further depths as it was now reaching 275 feet on the incline. Development during that time period of operating had cut, and stationed the first level at a depth of 275 below the surface. Power which was taken to this mining operation had been generated by a small plant that consist of one, 60 H.P. Boiler, a 4 drill compressor, and a hoisting system. Other major installations had included additional transformers if more power was needed to operate the machinery.
1914 - Porcupine Lake Gold Mines, Ltd
Mining operations at the Historical Porcupine Lake (Hunter) Gold Mine had continued to operate for the first part of 1914. Development at the time was mainly being focus on expanding the 275 foot level when 300 feet of drifting, and crosscutting was done. No additional development was taking place prior to the company ceasing mining operations for the time being.
1927 - Property acquired by Porcupine Lake Gold Mining Company, Ltd from Porcupine Gold Mines, Ltd.
It was in 1927, when the Porcupine Lake Gold Mine was being acquired by another company after being abandoned for several years. By this time the property was officially acquired by Porcupine Lake Gold Mining Company, Ltd, on October,1927. For the most part it was also stated that this property had included the area situated on the north-east shore of Porcupine Lake. This also included additional acreage that was located underneath the lake in Whitney Township, within the District of Cochrane.
Other statements from the company had stated that the mine had been known as the Hunter, which was named after H.F. Hunter. It was this propector who had additionally made the first discovery of gold within the Porcupine Area of Timmins, Ontario, Canada. Mining operations at this site were mainly worked from 1910 to 1914, when it was closed down and re-opened again in 1927. Prior to getting operations going the company had employed 8 miners to prepare the much needed building, and to get the plant into working order. By this time the mine was once again dewatered and sampling was undertaken by Duncan M. McPhail, who was the manager of the West Dome Lake Gold Mine.
A huge diamond drilling campaign was then undertaken when several holes were put down from the 275 foot level. With drilling taking place the company had also driven holes along the surface, and also through the ice of Porcupine Lake. Most of this diamond drilling campaign was also stated to had been done under the direction of A.P. McKenzie, when work was discontinued on June, 1928,
Much of the plant equipment had also included an air compressor made by the Blaisdel Machine Company of Bradford, PA, United States. It was rather engineered to be 22 by 14 by 16 inches, and driven by a 175 H.P. Induction Motor. This plant had also included a 10 by 12 inch Jenckes Straightline Air Compressor, a 12 by 12 by 71/2 inches, Vulcan Hoist, and a 8 by 10 inches, 80 H.P., HRT Boiler.
It was rather stated by the company that a shear zone is known to occur on the shore, and is traceable by trenching for 750 feet in northeast direction. Far more statements from the company had also stated that the rock is a rusty weathering schist, which contained sercite, and carbonate. Other statements had also reported that the weather schist has a fine quartz vein that runs with the schist. Visible gold is also known to be formed in a finely divided state that's associate with the quartz, and iron pyrites. Extensive development was undertaken by the former operators when an incline shaft was sunk to a depth of 275 feet below the surface. A level at 275 feet was then opened up and stationed as it explored this shear zone further, and diamond drilling had then taken place. With drilling being done it was soon determined that this shear zone had dip 60 degrees N.E.
1935 - Optioned to Hollinger Consolidated Gold Mines, Ltd. from Porcupine Lake Gold Mines, Ltd.
An optioning agreement was also made in 1935, when Hollinger Consolidated Gold Mines, Ltd had optioned the Porcupine Lake (Hunter) Gold Property. Prior to this optioning it was also reported that the No. 1 Porcupine Mine Shaft was dewatered. Diamond drilling was undertaken when a total length of 1,764 feet was completed from eight holes driven underground.
1936 - Porcupine Lake Gold Mining Company, Ltd.
By 1936, the Porcupine Lake Gold Property was once again being put into production by the Porcupine Lake Gold Mining Company, Ltd. The No. 1 Incline shaft during this time period was stated to have been fully filled with water, which required pumping. Most of the work during this time of operating was mainly aimed at overhauling, and electrifying the mining plant. Additional repairs were also being made to the mining building, and the main head-frame. Prior to this the company had also repaired the incline shaft timber, and would install a skip with the much needed safety appliances. Some more construction would also take place when a powder magazine, blacksmith shop, and managers residence was made.
Development work was immediately being achieved when the 275 foot level was officially pumped dry. It was within this time period of operating when the company had made a station enlargement, which followed by the cutting of a 1,800 cubic foot sump. Other development during this time of operating had included 234 feet of drifitng, and 165 feet of crosscutting. Diamond drilling that was completed during 1938, had totaled 979 feet in length that year.
1937 - Porcupine Lake Gold Mining Company, Ltd.
Further shaft sinking was once again commenced when the three compartment shaft was once again deepened. For the most part this three compartment shaft was sunk on the northeast shoreline of Porcupine Lake, which also dips at an angle of 56 degrees underneath it. At this time the company had also deepened the No, 1 shaft to another 465 feet, which made it have a present depth of 748 feet below the surface. Even new stations were being cut on the mines 362, 482, 603, and 723 foot levels within this time of operating the Porcupine Lake Gold Mine. Development during this time period was continued at opening up the 275 foot level by 632 feet of crosscutting, 1,150 feet of drifting, and 32 feet of raising. Diamond drilling that was undertaken had also consisted of 26 underground holes, totalling 4,170 feet in total length.
1938 - Porcupine Lake Gold Mining Company, Ltd.
Shaft sinking at the Porcupine Lake Gold Mine had continued onward as it now had reach a depth of 855 feet below the surface. This had also resulted in establishing another level at a depth of 850 feet. Even more lateral development was once again commencing when 880 feet of drifting, 287 feet of crosscutting, and 140 feet of raising was completed. A small amount of waste that totaled 4,856 tonnes was also hoisted during this time period of operating the Porcupine Lake Gold Mine in 1938. Other major installations during 1938, had also included a 20 ton test mill that was operated from April, 16 to the end of 1938. Prior to this operation it also became stated that a total of 4,714 tonnes of ore was treated, and had graded 0.437 ounces of Au per ton. From this production the company was able to produce approximately 2,060.018 ounces of Gold (Au) that came from the Porcupine Lake Gold Mine. Some more major development had also occurred when the company had installed, and built a 1,650 foot Stave tailings pipeline
1939 - Porcupine Lake Gold Mining Company, Ltd.
No additional shaft sinking was done during that time period of operating as the shaft still had reach a depth of 875 feet. Most of the development work during 1939, was mainly confined to the first, second, third, and sixth levels. It was rather stated that the company had completed 20 feet of raising on the first mine level at 275 feet. Some more development was also undertaken on the second level at 362 feet, when 32 feet of drifting was done. Another 26 feet of drifting was also accomplish on the mines 482 foot level, while 68 feet of drifting was done on the 850 foot level. With the mine continuing to operate it was also stated that a total of 1,201 tonnes of was hoisted, and 1,191 tonnes was treated by the 20 ton test mill. This production had also resulted in a recovery grade of 0.437 ounces of gold (Au) per ton, which produce 520.467 ounces of gold (Au). All mining operations at the Porcupine Lake Mine had also ceased on March, 14, 1939. For the most part it was also stated that this gold project had ceased operations due to finacial difficulty, and wartime conditions in 1940. Before the mine came to another closure it was rather stated that diamond drilling had indicated ore-grade mineralization in mineable widths down to the fifth level. These drill results had indicated a mine able width of 5 feet on the first level that assayed 0.40 ounces of Gold (Au) per ton. Other indications had also indicated a mineable width of 15 feet on the second leve at 362 feet, grading 0.402 ounces of Gold (Au) per ton. Another mineable width of 10 feet, grading 0.29 ounces of Gold (Au), and 10 feet, grading 0.55 ounces of Gold (Au) per ton was reported on the third level at 482 feet. A 30 foot mineable width on the fourth level is also reported to contain values up to 0.14 ounces of gold (Au) per ton. It was also stated that drilling that was under taken in this section had also intersected 17 feet of quartz in one hole. and 22 feet in another, with assays up to 0.29 ounces of Gold (Au) per ton. For the most part it was rather stated that no active development was followed up on their true widths, grades, and distrubtion combined to indicate the presence of gold mineralization throughout the whole mine. Production at the time was also reported to have mainly came from the first, and second levels of the Porcupine Lake (Hunter) Gold Mine Site. Other statements stated that the mineable widths on all five levels were never developed in which could result in probable ore-bodies. Compared to most mining operations its also known that most mineable widths within the Timmin Gold Camp average less than 0.20 ounces of Gold (Au) per ton. For the most part its also probable that these undeveloped widths can constitue mineable grade ore, but could not do so in 1940.
For the most part this is rather known as a feature towwards the Timmins Gold Ore-bodies that adds a considerable amount of luster to the above indications. This shear zone is rather known as an extreamly erratic distribution, which results numerous sub-economic assays. Drilling that was conducted on this property had also intersected highly economic zone. Other sections may also produce lower assay values that may be to low in value to show an interest in this zone that's highly economic.
Anoth property acquitistion was made when Wabigoon Resources had taken control of the Hunter Mine Project. It was during this time period of taking over the property when stripping, mapping, and surface sampling of the veins had commence. Prior to exploring this area further, the company had also place a $2,000,000 budget in the evaluation of this mine site. Most of this evaluation would consist of dewatering the underground workings, and carrying out mapping, sampling, and a diamond drilling program.
After raising enough capital, Wabigoon Resources, Ltd. had started evaluating the old Hunter Mine Property workings. The company it self had also recently went through a new company organization, with finacing amounting to $400,000 for 1985, and $350,000 for 1986. It was by the end of 1985, when diamond drilling was commenced and had consisted of six surface holes, totalling 3,500 feet in length. Even much of the underground working were partially dewatered as the first (232 ft), and second (300 ft) levels were made accessible. Underground mapping and sampling was being carried out in December, and a total length of 2,000 feet of diamond drilling was also completed in 1985. Further testing of the test hole wall material was also being done by a jackleg percussion drill on two levels. A geophysics, and mapping program was also completed on the surface of this gold mining project.
1986 - Wabigoon Resources, Ltd goes through re-organization to form Wabigoon Resources, Incorporated
A winter time drilling program was undertaken through the ice of Porcupine Lake within 1986. It was proven that narrow gold intersections were obtain in altered ultramafic rocks to the north of the shaft at a depth of 500 feet. Much of the strike length was also increased as it now was 1,450 feet in total length. Diamond drilling that was conducted through the ice of Porcupine Lake had also amounted to 15,000 feet in total length that year.
For the most part Wabigoon Resources had also referred this vein to be continuous at strike, and had average 0.223 ounces of Gold (Au) per ton (7.65 g/t). For the most part this was also calculated for a mining width that expanded to 5 feet. It was at this point in time when a drill inferred tonnage was also estimated to contain 453,592 tonnes, grading 0.223 ounces of Gold (Au) Per ton.
1987 - Wabigoon Resources Incorporated enters into joint venture agreement with Master Resources, And Development, Ltd.
Another major event had taken place during this time period of exploring this ground further. With good indications of gold (Au) the Wabigoon Resources had entered into joint venture agreement with Master Resources, and Developments, Ltd. This had rather gaven the latter company a chance to earn 50% interest in the Hunter Mine Property. Most of this would only be achieved if the latter company had purchase shares of the former company, and entered it self into a work commitment agreement on the property. Further statements in this agreement had entitled the latter company to conduct underground lateral development, and diamond drilling. As the mine continued to expand it was also stated that a new head-frame was erected over the old incline shaft.
1988 - Wabigoon Resources Incorporated, and Master Resources, and Development, Ltd.
It was rather by 1988, when Wabigoon Resources Incorporated and Master Resources, and Development had formed a joint venture by which the latter company could earn a 50% interest in the Hunter Gold Mine. Wabigoon Resources was rather known as a company who had put in a total expenditure of $2,800,000. A short time period later, Master Resources and Development had only raised a total of $1,500,000, and could not come up with the remaining $1,300,000. Development at the time had mainly place the new head-frame over the old incline shaft, and the commissioning of a hoist was undertaken. This was also followed by the dewatering of the old incline shaft to a depth of 400 feet below the surface Diamond drilling had amounted to eight underground holes, totalling 3,881 feet in total length on the 275 foot level. As the mine was place under further explorations it was also geologically mapped down to 400 feet.
2005 - Staked by ValGold Resources, Ltd.
The Hunter Gold Property was later staked by Valgold Resources, Ltd, who undertook a 13 hole diamond drilling program on the Hunter Property. Most of this diamond drilling program was conducted to the south-east side, and under Porcupine Lake. Drilling at the time was also reported to have been completed from a barge. It was rather reported that all but one drill hole had intersected mineralization that assayed from 1.0 g/t up to 39.9 g/t gold over widths that average 1 m. For the most part this diamond drilling program had also expanded the known mineralization zone down to the 250 m level. Gold within this property was stated to have occurred as a series of high-grade shoots within a zone up to 15 m thick over a strike length of 470 m, and to a depth of 200 m.
The Geology of the General Area.
Most of the rocks which are in the immediate vinicity of the old mine are known to mainly consist of highly schistose Keewatin Metamorphic Rocks. These metamorphic rocks are also known to be partly derived from mafic, and ultramafic lavas. Diamond drilling which was under taken had indicated that the Keewatin MetaSedimentary .rocks are also present to the west of Porcupine Lake. Other examinations of this area had revealed that the strike of the Schistose is known to go in a northerly direction, with a dip of 60 degrees to the west. Two north northwestward diabase dikes are also considered to be situated on this property from surface indications. The first level at 275 feet is also known to be terminated through this diabase dike zone, whereby an extension may be present to this dike.
There's also a northwest-trending fault that's known to occur to the south of the Main Shaft Operation. The mine area is also known to be hosted by the Destor Porcupine Fault, which is a majpor fault zone. Several mines in eastern Ontario, and Western Quebec, Canada are known to be associated with this fault area. For the most part its rather stated that the Destor Procupine Fault is known to cut across the property to the north. Most of this was indicated by a high aeromagnetic contour, which represent peridotite rock in the fault plane. Its also known to be a complex zone that may also have associated faults, or fault systems. More so, the surface exposure from trenching had revealed this area to contain four vein systems. One of the first veins known as the No. 1 was branched and traced for a total distance of 1,200 feet in total length. Another vein known as the No. 2 was also traced for a total distance of 600 feet. Some more examinations revealed that the No. 3 vein was also traced for a total length of 800 feet, where it joins the No. 1 vein. One of the last veins on this property is known as the No. 4, which was traced for a total strike length of 1,000 feet, and also crosscuts through several other veins. Further examinations from underground had revealed that these veins have a width of 43 inches, which strike a little east of north, and dip steeply westward. Much of the vein systems within this property is also known disappear as it becomes overlain by overburden.