1910 - Discovered by the Crown Chartered Mining Company
Gold within the Porcupine Area of Northern Ontario, was also discovered in 1910, by Crown Chartered Mining Company. Most of this gold discovery was made prior to the major Porcupine Staking Rush in which resulted in many gold claims. One of these mine to become discovered was commonly known as the Crown Chartered Mine, which became opened up on the north-east quarter of the south half of Lot. 2, within the fifth concession of Tisdale Township. For the most part development within this time period had continued to escalate when a prospect shaft was sunk 60 feet below the surface. With the prospect shaft reaching a depth of 60 feet, the company would further open up the workings when a crosscut was driven north for a distance of 100 feet.
A minor amount of trenching was also reported to have taken place at unknown lengths, widths, and depths at the time. Power was rather taken from the company small plant which consisted of a 50 H.P. Boiler, 2 drill compressors, hoist, and saw mill. Prior to this staking the company at one point in time had also owned a claim that was adjoining the Vipond Gold Property. Most development on this property was first started during the winter season when a shaft was sunk to a depth of 50 feet below the surface.
1911 - Crown Chartered Gold Mining Company of Porcupine Lake, Limited
The Crown Chartered Gold Mining Company was rather re-organized as a subsidiary company of Porcupine Lake Mines Limited in 1911. Most of the work within this time period of operating was mainly confined to the Davidson Claim within the Township of Tisdale. After doing a minor amount of crosscutting the company had determined this claim to have been satisfactory for development at the time. Shaft sinking had rather continued when the No. 1 Shaft was now reaching a depth of 146 feet below the shaft collar. Another level shortly after became developed on the 100 foot section which resulted in opening this level up by a crosscut. Much of this development had expand the crosscut north-easterly for a distance of 125 feet. Some other opening also became made on the vein when drifts ran 75 feet east, and 100 feet to the west on this crosscut. Even more development had taken place when crosscuts became driven at the end of these drifts for a distance of 35 and 20 feet. Nothing else had take place prior to the mine becoming abandoned from any further development.
1916 - Acquired by the Davidson Gold Mines, Limited.
By 1916, the Davidson Gold Mines, Limited had started operations on the old Crown Charter Gold Property. It was rather by July, 1916, when the Davidson Gold Mines, Limited. had fully progress in starting mining operations. Prior to acquiring this property it was also stated that the whole Crown Charter Property, and the Davidson Claims would be joined together to form the Davidson Gold Mine Project.
Before any mining was started the Two Compartment Crown Charter Shaft was dewatered, and reconditioned for operations purposes. By this time it would also be followed by development when the shaft was deepened from 100 feet to the depth of 312 feet. With shaft sinking nearly complete the company had also stationed a new level at 300 feet. Total lateral development within 1916 had comprised of 350 feet of drifting, and crosscutting which was mainly done on the 300 foot level. A major raise was also driven from the 100 foot level in order to connect with the surface level for better ventilation into the mine workings
Even more development had taken place when the company's "South Shaft" was being sunk to a depth of 50 feet. No additional development was reported to have commence within this shaft operation at the time. Employment within the mine had comprised of 50 employees who became hired under the direction of D.R. Thomas. .
1917 - Davidson Gold Mines, Limited.
Much of the whole entire mining operation was rather reported to have closed from June, 1917 till January, 18, 1918. For the most part this was done in efforts to explore the first, and third level workings by conducting 500 feet of diamond drilling. In addition to this, it was also reported that a 10 stamp mill was purchase from the Eureka Mines in Wine Harbour, Nova Scotia. With the mill transported it was rather place near the shaft, and place into operation by the early part of 1918. More so it was also stated that the treatment for processing the ore was done by Straight amalgamation. Diamond drilling on the 300 foot level was rather stated to have intersected an ore-body which prompted more development.
1918 - Davidson Gold Mines, Limited.
It was in 1918, when extensive development was undertaken on the 300 foot level of the Crown Chartered Mine. (Davidson Gold Mine). More explorations were being done in order to explore the new ore-body which was intersected by diamond drilling below the 300 foot level. Before any development would start below this level the company had also extend the crosscut for distance of 410 feet. With this completed it was rather stated that an Internal Winze Shaft was collared to a depth 220 feet. By this time it was also stated that the company's new internal shaft operation had cut the ore-body which was previously indicated by diamond drilling.
Some more changes also became made when electrical power was being supplied under contract with the Northern Canada Power Company. For the most part the newly installed 10 stamp mill was rather also crushing 30 tonnes of ore on a daily basis. At the time it was also reported that much of this operation along with the company was owned by G.C. Crean who was the company president.
1919 - Davidson Gold Mines, Limited
Other changes were also made in 1919, when the company had started to acquire several adjoining properties, which had comprised of 600 acres. Production was rather taken from a small 10 stamp mill operation with a daily capacity of 30 tonnes of ore. Most of the development within the six months of operating had totaled 1,136 feet of drifting, and 53 feet of raising. Other additions also became made when the company had installed Triplex Duplex Pump on the 600 foot level.
1920 - Property taken over by the new Davidson Consolidated Gold Mines, Limited.
It was in 1920, when a new company incorporation was announce as Davidson Consolidated Gold Mines, Limited was formed on July, 15, 1919. The company it self had rather came with a new capitalization of $5,000,000. Once this company became incorporated it had also taken over the assets of Davidson Gold Mines, Ltd, and had continued to work the Davidson Mine for the first five months in 1920.
During this time period much of the lateral development work within the mine had consisted of 380 feet of drifting, and 316 feet of crosscutting. Most of the development work within this time period had mainly been confined to the 500 foot level. It was on this level when 346 feet of drifting, and 271 feet of crosscutting was completed in 1920. Some more explorations would also continue when the company had underwent a diamond drilling program that totaled 1,188 feet in length. Within the first five months it was also stated that the mill had treated 3,003 tonnes of ore which gave the company a gross value of $11,210.30 in gold.
1921 - Acquisition made to take over the Davidson Consolidated Gold Mines by the Porcupine Davidson Gold Mines, Ltd.
The Porcupine Davidson Gold Mines, Ltd. had rather succeeded the Davidson Consolidated Gold Mines, Ltd. which it now owned 420 acres of the Davidson Gold Property. In addition to this, the company had also paid $50,000 to each of the directors in order to secure this gold property in 1921.
By this time the company had officially pumped dewatered the shaft in September, which resulted in a workforce of 45 mines. There was also another 10 diamond drillers that became employed between the months of October, and December, 12, 1921. More so this whole entire exploration phase had required 4,000 feet of diamond drilling that was undertaken on the 600 foot level. It soon became evident that this diamond drilling phase had outlined commercial grade ore at a vertical depth of 725 feet. With good indications of ore this had rather prompted further explorations within the area. It was by this time when the company had drilled one 500 foot whole, and another 1,000 foot hole from the surface. This was also followed by two more 1,000 foot holes in order to intersect the ore-body at a depth of 1,000 feet below the surface, which would test this ore for a length of 1,500 feet.
1922 - Porcupine Davidson Gold Mines, Ltd.
Another contract was shortly made with the Great Northern Power Company, Limited. Much of this delay was rather effect by the development of a new power plant on Indian Chutes which was located on the Montreal River. Even far more explorations were rather being carried out along the surface, that resulted in the completion of 12,000 feet of diamond drilling. By this time some more preparations were also being made to sink a new 72 degree incline shaft to a depth of 1,000 feet. Once this becomes complete it would then connect all the other workings within the No. 1 Shaft operation it was previously working out of.
1923 - Porcupine Davidson Gold Mines, Ltd.
Most of the Underground Working were rather confined to the northwest quarter of the south half of Lot. 2, within the fifth concession of Tisdale, Ontario, Canada. It also known to include three groups of claims which are the Crown Chartered, Davidson, and Smith claims, that comprises of 420 acres. For the most part the rocks are commonly known to be Keewatin Age. Some Fragmental material is considered to also occur on the top of the Lava flows. In some of the basic lavas, there are known to be shears zones that are indicated by a rusty, weathering surface due to oxidation of the ferruginous carbonate. In addition to this, its rather stated that the rock is impregnated in which carries quartz veinlets. Much of the main vein is also considered to strike N. 70 degrees S, and dips at about 65 degrees North-West. Upon examinations this vein is considered to also consist of altered lavas which carry the veins, and lenses of quartz running with the schist or across it at various angles, and dips. Surface exploration procedures had indicated that the vein on the surface has a strike of 300 feer, and also various up to 20 feet in width. All the gold is rather considered to occur along the contact of quartz, and altered rock, and also within fracture planes with the quartz. Some crystallized iron pyrite are also known to occur within the rocks, and along the contacts with the quartz/gold. Other indications had revealed that the ore-body on the surface has its own length of 50 feet, and averages $15 for a width of 12 feet.
Underground development within its previous years was carried on by a shaft to 300 feet, where it continued to 600 feet by an internal winze shaft. Most of the production was taken from a 10 stamp mill, and amalgamation plant which had burnt down but produce $53,914 in gold value. Underground, and surface diamond driling would also continue in 1923, and the new incline shaft was officially sunk to a depth of 800 feet before mining was discontinued in October, 1924. Most of the shut down was cause due to issues between the Canadian Promoters, and the British financiers who were behind the project. This had rather tied the property up in court battles for nearly 10 years, and some surface work had occurred on the property from 1934 to 1982.
1934 - Property Acquired by Venture, Limited.
The property was once again acquired when Ventures, Limited had staked this property in 1933. It was during this time period when extensive diamond drilling was done, and geological mapping was completed. In total diamond drilling the company had drilled 11 surface holes, totalling 4.251 feet in length. For the most part it was stated that the drilling program had failed to intersect any economical gold values which left the site abandoned once again. Ventures, Limited. at the time had also held onto this property from 1933 to 1945.
1981 - Dome Mines, Ltd. had Optioned the property
Another option was also undertaken by the Dome Mines, Limited. who drilled 10 surface holes, totalling 3,895 feet in length, and had dropped their option by 1982. For the most part it was rather stated that Dome Mines, Ltd had additionally drop this option due to other corporate financial obligations. Dome for the most part was undergoing sever financial difficulties with its Dome Petroleum Projects.
1983 - Davidson Tisdale Mines, Ltd had Acquired the Davidson Gold Mine claims
By the early time period 1983, the property had rather went under the control of Davidson Tisdale Mines, Ltd. who raised $1.5 million. It was during this time period when the company had carried out extensive surface, and underground exploration program. Much of this work which was carried out had rather enhance the knowledge of the geometry of the mineralize vein zone, and had also increase the economical potential for this property. With drilling, and surface stripping taking place it was during this time period when the company exposed three gold bearing pyritic tuffs which were situated near the Main Shaft, and the South Shaft Zone. These tuffs were rather reported to have been highly prospective, untested exploration targets. Diamond drilling had also indicated that a major gold deposit did exist within this property from satisfactory drill results. Much attention was given to this area which resulted in three subparallel veins that occur between the surface. and the 750 foot level. Each of these zone also became determined to have varied in width from 10 to 60 feet, and had been trace down the dip to about 500 feet in 1983. One of these holes had rather intersected a down dip extent to at least 960 feet vertically, and has its own strike length of at least 1,500 feet to the southwest of the "Main Shaft". This indication had rather resulted in the potential of 3 to 5 million tonnes of ore to a vertical depth of 750 feet In each of the vein zones. For the most part this ore reserve indication is known to cover an area that's 2,500 to 1,000 feet in size.
1984 - Joint venture agreement between Getty Canadian Metals, Ltd, and the Davidson Tisdale Mines, Ltd.
Much of this agreement between the two companies was official by January, 1, 1984, which made Getty the operator of the Tisdale Project. on March, 1984. Before this agreement was made the Davidson Tisdale Mines, Ltd. was rather planning to further explore two veins by diamond drilling near the shaft area. Prior to Getty entering into an agreement it was also at this time when the became in charge of indicating the tonnage potential of the known quartz veins. The Getty Canadian Metals, Ltd had also became in charge of establishing the continuation of these veins to the southwest. This was also mainly done along a strike length of 700 meters, and to a depth of 230 m. Most of this was done in order access the potential property to host a medium size ore body from 1 to 3 million tonnes. Another project that was undertaken by Getty had included accessing for potential of existing auriferous vein zones, and outlining sufficient tonnage in order to justify a program of underground exploration, and development. Much of the 1984 exploration program had mainly consisted of detailed geological mapping, and diamond drilling in which a total of 84 cores holes for 17,134 meters were completed.
It soon became evident that this property was underlain by an overburden sequence of east-west striking, and steeply north dipping, south facing basaltic volcanic flows that were also associated with subordinate flow top breccias Much of the basalts exposed at the bottom of the sequence were also reported to have been magnesium tholelites, which had underlain two thirds of the property. These Magnisium Tholelites are also considered to be overlain by basaltic flows of iron tholelitic composition.
Much of the quartz veins that occurs along the surface within the main shaft, Smith Vet, T zones, and South Shaft Areas are all known to occur within a sequence of Magnisium Tholelitic basalts. For the most part these vein systems are considered to also be associated of zones of sericite-quartz-ferroan dolomite altercation.
Within the main shaft the upper vein zone was indicated to have a strike length of 100 m, and in plan had a "V" ore-body. It was also determined that southern end of this zone has its own strike of 30 degrees, and had dips ranging from 30 to 45 degrees to the N.W. Additionally, the northern zone also had a strike of 70 degrees, with dips ranging from 20 to 40 degrees, which was untested along the strike to the east. For the most part the down dip had rather been determined to have extended between 15 to 120 meters below the surface.
The lower quartz vein within the shaft area is known to be located approximately 35 meters below the "Upper Vein Zone". Most of the "lower vein zone" is strongly considered to also have a strike of 40 degrees along a total strike length of 220 meters, and dips between 30 and 60 degrees N.W. For the most part this zone is considered to be approximately 100 m below the surface, and had been traced to a depth of 265 feet. Another auriferous zone known as the S zone became discovered in the 1984 exploration program. This was rather uncovered within the Vicinity of the Smith Vett-T Zone area Further examinations of the geological structure had indicated that the "S" vein had a total strike length of 550 meters between depths of 30 to 150 meters below the surface. At this point in time it was rather stated that the zone was untested along the strike, down dip, and up-dip. In addition to this, the Auriferous structure is commonly known to have its own strike of approxiamatly 90 degrees, and dips 20 to 25 degrees to the north.
It was rather in 1984, when significant drilling was done to permit a reserve calculation on the main shaft, and Smith Vett-T Zone Area. By this time it was rather indicated that the Davidson Gold Mine had a total reserve calculation of 748,054 tonnes of ore having an average, un-cut, in place grade of 12.33 Gm AU/tonne. Much of this also had an average width of 2.97 meters along a strike length of 800 meters, and to a depth of 200 meters. Other statements had stated that potential exist in increasing the ore reserves along the strike, down dip, and within other subparallel vein zones at depth.
The area is underlain by a thick sequence of Archean volcanic and sedimentary rocks that have been intruded by synvolcanic and post tectonic felsic rocks. The structural geology of the area is complex. At least three major periods of deformation are recognized which have resulted in a series of doubly plunging, upright, isoclinal folds offset by major fault structures and related secondary faults. As illustrated in the legend on Figure l and in Table l the volcanic sedimentary sequence in the area has been subdivided into three major groups, the Deloro, Tisdale and Porcupine Groups. The Deloro Group is characterized by a poorly developed Lower Formation made up of ultramafic volcanic flows overlain by a Middle Formation made up of calc alkalic and tholeiitic, basaltic and andesitic flows in turn overlain by an Upper Formation made up of calc alkalic, dacitic flows and pyroclastic rocks with a well developed regional iron formation at or near the top of the Upper Formation. No significant gold production is associated with the Deloro Group in the Timmins area. The base of the Tisdale Group is marked by the Goose Lake Formation, a regionally well developed sequence of ultramafic volcanic flows, overlain by the Schumacher Formation made up of a sequence of tholeiitic, high iron basaltic flows containing a number of regionally developed carbonate chemical sedimentary units. The Schumacher Formation is overlain by felsic pyroclastic rocks of the Krist Formation.
Major gold production in the Timmins Camp is all associated with the Tisdale Group, and in particular, with the portion of the stratigraphy below the V8-V10B Volcanic Marker of the Schumacher Formation down section to and including the upper part of the Goose Lake Formation. The Porcupine Group is made up of clastic sedimentary rocks, primarily shales and greywackes with minor polymictic conglomerate. The sedimentary rocks of the Porcupine Group dominantly appear to overlie the volcanic rocks of the Tisdale and Deloro Groups, however, the sedimentary rocks may be the stratigraphic equivalent of the volcanic rocks away from the major centres of volcanism. The Porcupine Group has been subdivided into Older and Younger Sediments, the Younger Sediments (locally called Timiskaming) unconformably overlying the Older Sediments and the Tisdale Group.
Completed diamond drilling by Davidson Tisdale Mines, Ltd.
Diamond Drill hole # From To Description of core taken/overburden
DT - 307 5 feet 101 feet Mafic Volcanics: Much of the rock is known to be a
fine to medium grained, non magnetic, H-6, weakly
locally reacts to HLC, within a sheared, broken,
faulted with minor gouge throughout. It also
represents a locally strong pervasive rusting, pitting,
and leaching along the shear, and fault plane. It also
can be often associated with an altercation halo
that's up to 4" wide on each side.
5 feet 13 feet Consists of a pitted, broken, sheared, faulted, 0.5%
euhedral up to 0,5 feet across.
32 feet 37 feet Intersected a quartz vein with 15% wall rock fragments.
71 feet 83 feet Had intersected a broken, sheared, faulted with
numerous quartz veins, and irregular quartz
masses, which were locally rusted with traces to !%
euhedral pyrite up to 1" in size. It had also
indicated a brecciated interval filled with a quartz
83 feet 94.5 feet Indicated a strong prevastive rusting, and leaching in carbonate, with an extensive faulting gouge.