1911 - Discovered by G. Bannerman - Acquired by Scottish Gold Mining Company
Prior to the staking rush in 1909, many different gold mine came into production within Timmins, Ontario, Canada. One of these claims which became place under development during the Porcupine Gold Rush was the Bannerman Group of claims. Much of the property at the time had also consisted of three claims that became situated one and a half miles north of Porcupine Lake near Timmins, Ontario, Canada. Development during this time period was mainly under taken by the Scottish Ontario Gold Mining Company. Most of this development had consisted of sinking a shaft to a depth of 20 feet below the surface, and the two veins were reported to have been stripped for a considerable strike length. Before the claims were taken up by the Scottish Gold Mining Company these three claims were first discovered by G Bannerman within the same year.
1910 - Scottish Gold Mining Company
It was in 1910, when the claims became registered as the Scottish Ontario Gold Property. Most of the development during this time period continued the shaft to a depth of 90 feet below the collar. This development phase resulted in opening up a level on the 90 foot section when a crosscut was driven 20 feet south, and 100 feet to the north. During this time period the North Crosscut had also intersected the vein which it became cut, and drifted on for 50 feet. Other installations during this time period had also included the 20 H.P. Boiler, and Hoist.
1911 - Scottish Gold Mining Company
Most of the development within 1911, was mainly focus on expanding the underground workings on the 80 foot level. For the most part lateral development that became completed had consisted of continuing the crosscut for a length of 160 feet. Drifting was also continued during this time period of operating which was conducted on a vein encountered 50 feet north of the shaft for a distance of 260 feet.
1927 - Leased and purchase by P.N.B Syndicate.
The Scottish Ontario Gold Property was shortly after leased to the P.N.B Syndicate which had consisted of three prospectors. By this time it became determined that these three prospectors were commonly known as Charles Peterson, John Nicholson, and George Bannerman. Much of these claims were rather purchase from another syndicate who had obtained them from a tax sale within the Township on October, 1927. At the time it was rather stated that these three claims became register under No. 12575, 12576, 12691, 12692, 12693, and 12694. Additionally it was also stated that these claims became situated on Lots. 11, and 12, within the fourth, and fifth concession of Whitney Township. A minor amount of diamond drilling was stated to have also take place in 1923, by another syndicate who purchase this property.
By this time the P.N.B Syndicate along with the leasers, and three other miners became engaged in developing this site.Work on what was known as the Scottish Ontario Gold Property had continued from October, 1927 to the end of that year. Another re-opening was made on February, 1928, and mining operation continued until its closure on May, 1928.
Most development during this time period was confined to an open cut which was being worked on the vein. An examination of the vein by this company had indicated that the vein had strike to the East, and West. It was also a vein which was previous developed by the former company who had first sunk the shaft on it in 1909. Other statements from the Syndicate had indicated that the vein had its own width of 2 to 6 feet. There was also a pit which was sunk at a distance of 200 feet west of the former shaft operation in order to open it up, and had measured 4 by 6 feet. In order to test this area further it became determined that the company had continued this open cut for a length of 80 feet, which range in widths from 20 inches to 4 feet. Much of the excavation which became completed had also range in depths from 12 feet at the west to 5 feet to the east. After completing examinations on this vein it was rather stated that the pit became filled with crushed quartz. More so the company also reported that there was a series of quartz near the shaft, and north of which had a width over 12 feet but became less explored. For the most part it was also stated that a dump from the development of the shaft is known to also cover the main vein zone.
Explorations on the Scottish Ontario Gold Property had resulted in a new gold bearing quartz stringer that was being developed. Development of the main vein zone within limits of the open pit was also discovered to the west of the workings. From this the company had also taken samples in order to determine the head-grade of the vein material in this section of the property. Most of the power within this time period was taken from a small plant that consisted of a 6 foot Hardinge Mill, two small crushers, two amalgamating plates, and 2 Wifley Tables. Most of this machinery was also driven by four engines, one being 22 H.P., two being 6 1/2 H.P., and one 3 1/2 H.P. All gold shipments from this property were rather being made to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada at the time. Some production had also escalated during the time period of operating in which a gross value of $5,893 in gold was taken from this property. Much of the mining operation was rather operated by a power plant that was equipped with a small mill.
1928 - P.N,B. Syndicate lease operation to the Canusa Gold Mines, Limited, which became Canusa Mining, and Explorations Company. Ltd.
It wasn't till the summer of 1928, when the Syndicate had sold this property to the Canusa Gold Mines, Limited. From August, 1928, this company was rather extensively preparing to expand the workings when the old two compartment shaft was dewatered, conditioned, and sunk to the 100 foot level. All mining preparations were also being done under the direction of S. Monck of Timmins, who employed 10 miners.
Another company re-organization was undertaken in 1928, when the company had registered themselves under the Canusa Mining and Exploration Company, Limited. The company at this time had also a capitalization of $3,000,000 in which $1,350,000 became issued at $1 par value. Some more claims also became staked when the property consisted of 6 claims in Whitney Township, within the District of Cochrane, Ontario, Canada. By the summer of 1928, the company had option most of this property from the syndicate in order conduct more underground explorations, and examinations. Prior to this leasing agreement the company would end up building much of the needed structures to operate this project effectively. By this time the Canusa Mining, and Exploration Company, Limited had mainly constructed a head-frame that was 50 feet high, 36 by 25 foot Power House, 18 by 20 foot Change House, 18 by 20 foot Blacksmith Shop, 16 by 16 foot Tank and Store-room, a 16 by 30 foot assay office, a 16 by 16 foot Transformer House and a Thaw House, and Magazine
Most of the major plant equipment had mainly consisted of a locomotive type boiler for heating, a Sentinel Compressor with a capacity of 850 feet per a minute, which was driven by a 125 H.P. Motor, and a Jenckes Hoist driven by a 50. H.P. Motor.
Most of the development work within this time period had resulted in expanding the underground operations. Once the shaft became completely dewatered it was enlarge to a three compartment shaft on the 90 foot levels. This had also went through more expanding when the shaft was now sunk to the 320 foot level. Prior to deepening the shaft there was also a level cut on the 305 foot section, which became opened up by a crosscut for a length of 400 feet, and 160 feet south. Some more development would also occur on the 90 foot level when a crosscut was driven 135 feet south. it was rather stated that the company during this time period had also intersected a mineralized schist zone after completing 100 feet of lateral development.on the south Crosscut on the 400 foot level. Once this became encounter the company had drifted on this zone in both directions for a distance of 135 feet. Much of the property was also reported to have ceased operations by June, 17, 1929, due to the lack of funds but was expected to go back into operation by the winter season. No production was exceeded during this time period as the Test Mill was remodeled and enlarge in order process more ore.
1930 - Canusa Mining, and Exploration Company, Ltd.
The Scottish Ontario Gold Property was one of the first mining projects to have operated along side with the Hollinger, Dome, McIntyre, Vipond, and Jupiter Gold Mines. Prior to ceasing operations the company had not undertaken any more work till the shaft was dewatered on July, 1930. It was also during this time period when a small amount of development was reported to have been undertaken. Much of the lateral development within the main shaft had totalled 1,500 feet on the two levels at 80, and 305 feet. Another small shaft had also became developed in 1931, which was west of the main shaft operation. For the most part this development was undertaken on an open-cut which the Syndicate had obtained a gross recovery of $5,893 in gold extraction. The Scottish Ontario (Banner) Gold Property had rather came to another shut down due to the possibility of having difficulties in financing this gold project.
1953 - Claims staked by Banner Porcupine Mines, Ltd. - Contracted to the Broulan Reef Mines, Ltd.
Another staking on this property was made in 1953, when the Banner Porcupine Mines, Ltd. had prepared this site for development. Almost all the work within this time period was mainly being done under the management of the Broulan Reef Mines, Ltd. Prior to this agreement the company was mainly undertaking development work from the 650 foot level of the Reef Shaft. More so this development had mainly continued into the Banner Ground when a drift was driven for a distance of 517 feet, making a total length of 1,368 feet. No other development was under taken in the Canuse Shaft area prior to expanding the underground workings at the "Reef Shaft". Some more diamond drilling was also under taken by the company when it had consisted of six underground holes, totalling 4,224 feet in length. Other statements from the company had stated that operations became curtailed from July, 11 to September, 3, 1953. Most of this became cause because of a labor strike which had not reach normal basis till December of that year. Additionally there was also no production which was taken from the Banner Gold Property at the time. In addition to this development work the Broulan Reef Mines, Ltd. had also completed 788 tons of slashing for the company. No further development was reported to have been under taken on the Banner Gold Property in 1954.