Soon enough the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine became well recognized as one of the three producing mines to come into production within Timmins, Ontario Canada. The mine was first discovered in 1909, and it was said to have only been located two kilometers east of Timmins, in Tilsdale Township. Much of this historical mining operation also became staked on five lots that were identified as 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. The main company shaft was also reported to have been situated on half of lot 9, and 10, as surface drill results had encountered a pretty high-grade gold vein zone. So nevertheless, much of the mine development was mainly being focus within this section of the mining venture at the time. In general the very first shaft to come into production was commonly known as the Macintyre No. 6 shaft that was sunken to a depth of 673. As development continued the company was now commencing a whole bunch of underground lateral development that had totalled 2,863 feet. Most of the mine production, and development was rather being engineered by the Pearl Lake Gold Mines Ltd. in 1910. However company officials wouldn't have this mine in operation till about 1913. During the year of 1910, the company was rather engaged in further exploring the area by sinking exploration shafts on promising discovery zones. So the Pearl Lake Gold Mines Ltd had now place engineering phase on two other shaft operations. These historical shafts soon became identified as the McIntyre No. 9 and 10 shafts. Each of these shafts became blasted and drilled to about 200 feet below ground levels, and had connected with each other by a long drift section that was driven on the 200 foot level. As development was nearly completed, the main level had now consisted of 1000 feet of lateral development that was performed by the Plenaurum Mines Ltd who became contracted out.
By 1911, the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mines were expanding really quickly as two more shafts came into production. These two historical mining shafts became determined as the Jupiter No. 1 and 2 shaft operations that were added to this claimed area. In general the Jupiter No. 1 shaft was only known to have been sunken to a depth of 100 feet below ground levels, while the Jupiter No. 2 shaft was engineered to 400 feet. Unlike the Jupiter No. 1 shaft operation, the No. 2 shaft was rather more developed when three ore producing levels became opened up. Each of these levels were strongly recognized to be situated on the mines 100, 200, and 300 foot sections. As these levels became further opened up the mine had now consisted of 1,850 feet of lateral development within the three levels alone. Almost all engineering and development phases we're reported to have been done under contract by the Jupiter Mines Ltd. who was contracted out by Planurum Mines Ltd. Eventually the Jupiter No. 2 shaft became known as the McIntyre No. 7 shaft later within the year.
The McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine Property is rather located at the West end of Pearl Lake that's located on a larger portion of this waterway. Within the same year of 1911, the company was rather commencing further development stages on its three newly developed shaft operations. The No. 1 and 4 shafts became constructed on the south end of Pearl Lake, while the No. 5 shaft was located on the North side. All development was carried on the No. 1 shaft operation that was sunken 200 feet below ground levels. As this continued to take place the No. 1 shaft was now being opened up by two producing levels. Each of these historical levels became stationed and cut on the mines 100, and 200 foot sections. More so the first level of this mining operation was now being opened up by a whack of drifting, and Crosscutting procedures. In addition the second level that's station on the mines 200 foot section was rather being constructed by a crosscut that was driven underneath the lake. These newly developed expansions had soon encountered more loose gold that was yet to be mined from this location.
During this time period the company was also working its No. 4, and 5 shaft operations that we're drilled and blasted to a depth of 200 feet. Each of these shafts also became opened up by a series of drifts and crosscuts that were driven towards the ore-body. More so the company also had created more lateral development that soon had totalled 3,600 feet from all production within that year. Most of the first level that was located on the mines 100 foot section had also determined to contain quartz seams which were filled with other minerals, and had speckles of gold flakes all over the place. Generally this whole entire area was considered to have been made up from Schist and Quartz. but did not contain any Pyrite formations. As the ore became stockpiled it was now becoming to overwhelming for the company, so a small stamp mill was engineered, and had started production by March, 1911. Company officials decided to go with the much easier method of processing that involved Amalgamation and Concentrating the ore. Before the ore becomes processed, its first crushed into 10 by 12 inch's pieces by a Blake Jaw Crusher that places the ore onto a conveyor system, which later transports this material to 60 ton bins. From here the ore is than taken through the stamp milling procedure before being crushed once again through 20 mesh screens. Once the ore goes through the mesh, its than taken to the Amalgamation Plant for further processing methods.
In 1912. the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited had taken full control when it was incorporated by the four producing mining firms. Most of this had occurred when the company wanted to fully expand this mining zone even further. Generally this whole entire expansion would also lead to new discovery zones as new diamond drill core samples indicated profitable gold veins. During this time period the company was rather commencing development stages on the west end of Pearl Lake. This whole entire claim was also situated on a continuous 40 acre lot that was in its prime development period. Company officials from the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited had additionally open up the No. 1 shaft operation that was reaching a depth of 200 feet. More so the company would end up constructing another level that was driven on the mines 100 foot section. As development was nearly completed the No. 1 shaft was now thriving with two of its own producing levels. Development on the first level was soon taking place when a huge amount of drifting that totalled 140 feet was completed. Additionally the company would also further expand this mining operation when another 140 feet of crosscutting was establish. As the mine started to become more productive the company was now on another move when it had sunken the No. 4 shaft operation to a depth of 200 feet. This had also created one ore producing level that was opened up on the mines 200 foot section. Much of the first level was strongly opened up by 250 feet of drifting, and 120 feet of crosscutting.
In 1913, the company was well underway with its own McIntyre Porcupine Mine Site when it was rather transforming the land that surrounded Pearl Lake. Much of this development was being achieved on the company's No. 1 and 4 shaft operations. In general the No. 1 shaft was now reaching a total depth of 300 feet below ground levels, and included three producing levels. Each of these production zones became station and cut on the mines 100, 200, and 300 foot section. All development during that year was mainly being aimed at further expanding the newly developed 300 foot section. Most of this became establish when 300 feet of drifting, and 200 feet of crosscutting had now transformed this section of the mining operation. It was also said that the company was engineering its own stope sections that became constructed on the No. 1 vein zone within the first level of the No. 1 shaft operation.
Production within the year of 1913, was mainly being taken from the 10 stamp mill operation before it was upgraded to a 300 ton per a day milling facility. Much of the first unit was reported to have been fully developed and in production by April 1913. Milling procedures we're being conducted by crushing the ore with the use of rolls, and chilians, before cyaniding the whole entire product for commercial value.
within the year 1913, the McIntyre No. 7 shaft operation was rather experiencing more expansions when it was driven to a depth of 450 feet below the ground. This massive expanding phase would also add several feet of lateral development that was estimated at 1,312 feet. Most of the work was also done by another contracted mining firm who had option rights in buying this claimed area. This historical company became commonly known as the McKinley Darragh Savage Mines Ltd. All production and lateral development was mainly being focus on the mines 300 and 400 foot sections. However the company would only work this operation till about 1914, when the Pearl Lake Gold Mines Ltd had taken over this section of the mining operation. Nevertheless, the whole entire claimed area was soon closed down for the remainder of that year.
By 1914, the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited had now renamed this mining operation into the McIntyre Porcupine Mines. Development within this time period was mainly being focus on further expanding the No. 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 shaft. Production from the No. 1 shaft was strongly taken from the 200, and 300 foot sections as no sinking was commenced. Further development would also be achieved on the newly developed No. 2 and 3 shaft operations, which were sunken to a depth of 90 feet. Company officials from the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited had also commence shaft sinking phase on the No.4 shaft. Most of this development became completed when the shaft it self was reaching a depth of 600 feet. Another shaft operation known as the No. 5 shaft also became expanded when the company had sunken this shaft to about 500 feet below ground levels. Within that year alone the company had established 4,059 feet of drifting, 1,420 feet of crosscutting, and 1,079 feet of raising. Hoisting within all five shafts had soon taken place when the company was now removing 70,896 tons of ore from all extraction and development within that year. During this time period the company would also process a total 62,209 tons of ore at the newly developed 300 ton milling facility. Soon enough the company would also add more equipment towards the cyanide plant that included a 150 ton unit.
By the following year of 1915, the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited had commence further development on its No. 5 shaft operation. Most of this included sinking the shaft to about 1,000 feet while developing levels at 100 foot intervals. This whole entire engineering phase had included new stationed and cut levels that we're located on the miens 600, 700, 800, 900, and 1,000 foot sections. More so the company and its dedicated team of hardworking miners had also establish 44,997 feet of lateral development within the whole entire mining operation.
Another shaft known as the McIntyre Extension Shaft is commonly known to be the former Pearl Lake mine shaft. Much of this section of the mining operation is connected with the No. 5 workings on the mines 1,000 foot section. As this had occurred the company was also expanding this section of the mining operation when it was performing a series of drifting to connect with the Jupiter shaft at a distance of 2,300 feet. During the time period of 1917, the Jupiter Shaft was also experiencing more sinking phase when it was drilled and blasted to about 680 feet. More so the company had other ideas when it decided to engineer this shaft to a depth of 1,000 feet by the year of 1917. Once this development becomes completed the company and its dedicated workers will than deliver the ore the McIntyre Extension Shaft, where it will become the Main Hoisting shaft operation for the workings north of Pearl Lake. Company officials would also start the much needed installation of a Jenckes Hoist system that will play an important roll in hoisting the ore from the mine site. Besides adding the hoisting system, the company was yet again ready to install the No. 7 1/2 Gate Crusher, with a set of 54inch by 20 inch rolls,. Once the ore becomes transported from the rolls its then taken by a belt conveyor system that transports the ore to the on-site milling facility that has a capacity rate of 75 tons of ore per an hour. .All the ore from the Jupiter shaft is strongly considered to be transported by a narrow gauge track that transports the ore to the Rock House of the No. 5 Shaft Operation.
Further development within the year of 1917, had included the much needed structures to run this operation. Most of this construction phase soon commenced when the company was yet again ready to add more buildings towards the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine. This whole entire constructing phase had included a brand new Transformer house with the much needed installation of three 600 K.V.A Transformers. During this time period it was also reported that the McIntyre Porcupine Mines LTD. had further engineering plans in adding a dry house, a warehouse, and its very own on-site shops. Much of these engineering phase were commonly considered to have taken place near the No. 5 and Main Shaft operations. All production from the mill during 1916, and 1917, had soon processed a total of 195,327 tons of ore.
All sinking phase of the Jupiter No. 1 shaft became officially completed when the company had drilled and blasted this shaft to 1,000 feet. From here the Jupiter No. 1 shaft was officially connected with the main McIntyre Extension shaft by a long 1,300 foot drift section. At this point the company soon had to abandoned production when they encountered heavy water within quartz-porphyry formation. Much of this was rather done for safety reason so that a newly installed pump could make the workings safer for its workforce. Company officials had also acquired new mining grounds when it was the proud owner of the Plenaurum Property. Generally this whole entire purchase would make company officials extended the Jupiter Mine shaft into these workings by crosscut sections that we're driven on the mines 475 and 1,000 foot sections. All development was rather commenced on the 1,000 foot level of the Jupiter Mine shaft that had driven a crosscut for a distance of 250 feet into the Plenaurum Grounds. More so the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Ltd also decided to conduct their own drilling programs within the Jupiter Mine's 475, and 1,000 foot level. As expansions and explorations became completed the company also had installed brand new hoisting gears in order to keep up with production. Much of this included a Nordberg Hoist that was installed on the No. 5 shaft operation, and a large Welster Camp and Lane hoist that was place on the Jupiter Mine Shaft. Production from the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine was also experiencing its own steady pace of processing when the mill had treated anther 178,327 tons of ore. Within this time period the company and its hardworking crew had also completed the much needed dry house that was able to accommodate 250 men. However, the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited had employed a major workforce of 332 men who made this production historical to this day. All development and production was officially completed by the end of 1918, when the mine was rather being further developed.
By the following year in 1919, the company was well underway with the new installation of the Nordberg Hoist that was operated by three cables. The first steel cable was being used for lowering the cage down to the lowering workings, and the second steel cable acted as a way to hold all the weight of the ore. More so this whole entire hoisting system was mainly aimed at lowering the 3,500 LB cage to all the workings. During this time period the maximum cage speed was reported to have been 750 feet per a minute compared to the speed now a days. The cage it self was considered to have been mainly driven by a 125 H.P Motor, with 485 RPM, 500 volts, and 25 cycles.
Development still continued as the No. 5 shaft was being sunken down to further depths when the shaft was now reaching 1,250 feet. More so the company and its team of dedicated workers would end up constructing this operation further when they commence development of a winze shaft. All of this construction phase was now taking place on the 200 foot level when the internal shaft was reaching its own depth of 42 feet. It was also reported that the company it self would end up conducting another diamond drilling program that totalled 1,414 feet of core sample from the 200 foot section of the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine. Company officials from the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Ltd. would also establish a 6 foot station on the mines 300 foot section. As development continued the company also commenced more lateral development within the mines 400 foot section. Most of this had added 72 feet of drifting and 23 feet of raising towards all production that came from this portion of the mine. Generally the 400 foot level was now exceeding great amount of drifting that totalled 870 feet within this section of the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine. As production continued the 500 foot level was also expanding when the company had further driven the drift section as it was now reaching 1,240 feet. Almost all development on the mines 600 foot section was aimed at further expanding the drift section that had opened up this portion of the mine by 1,300 feet. Another level that was located on the mines 700 foot section was also being explored when the company conducted another diamond drilling program that totalled 936 feet of core sampling. Generally the company was also confined to the 800 foot level when 955 feet of drifting, 35 feet of crosscutting, and 217 feet of raising was done. In addition another exploration was made within the 800 foot level as the company obtained 699 feet of core sample. All development within the 900 foot level had included further expanding the drift sections, and adding more crosscutting, and raising. Drifting within the 900 foot level was now expanding this mining operation as it was reaching 1,125 feet of drifting, and 640 feet of crosscutting. Further so the company also place more drifting procedures on its 1,000 foot level when it became expanded to 2,800 feet. A winze shaft was also sunken from this section of the mining operation when it had went down to a depth 81 feet.
In general the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited would also place full development on two other levels that became station on the mine 1,125, and 1,250 foot sections. All development within the 1,125 foot level was now being opened up by 1,308 feet of drifting, 363 feet of crosscutting, and 329 feet of raising. This whole entire development phase would also end up being further explored when company officials had driven 769 diamond drill holes. Generally a station was also cut that had been developed to about 79 feet within the solid hard rock of the 1,125 foot level. The last level that was stationed on the mines 1,250 foot section was considered to have only been opened up by 20 feet of crosscutting, and had its very own 25 foot station.
Company officials from the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited had once again started on further developing the mining zone in 1920. All of this development occurred when the shaft was additionally sunken from the 1,400 foot level to the mines 1,560 foot level. In addition the mine owners had its own workforce of over 300 men who started extracting the rich gold material that came from the 1,125, 1,250, and the newly developed 1,375, and 1,560 foot levels. During this time period of development the company was also installing ore/waste pockets on the mines 1,375 foot level. This gave the company an opportunity to create an ore pass that was raised from the 1,250 foot level, and continued to the 1,125 foot level. Much of this became establish so that the company's employees could directly drop the ore into the buckets that we're engineered on the 1,375 foot level. Within this expansion the company was yet again in luck when it had encountered another promising vein zone that made the shaft go deeper. Much of this became opened up by a drift section to determine the actual grade of the gold that was discovered within the mines 1,500 foot section. In addition diamond drilling phase during this time period soon estimated that the new discovery zone had assayed at $10.20. Soon enough the area of the newly discovered vein zone was being further prospected by crosscuts on the mines 1,375, and 1,500 foot sections.
In 1935, the company yet again had hired another contracted mining firm to establish the second extension phase of this claimed mining zone. The company who took on this challenge was commonly referred as the Central Porcupine Mines Ltd., and had soon started to extend the 1,000 foot level of the Coniaurum Mine Zone into the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine. Much of this development was done because company officials had intersected more profitable gold to be mined from diamond drilling phase. All of this contracted work was mostly completed by 1937, when the Caniaurum Mine was officially connected with the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine Property. Some other exploration phases also became conducted when company officials wanted to make sure that this section of the mine would be worthy enough for development. So the same company had started on a whole new drilling phase that included 6 underground diamond drill holes, totalling 6,139 feet of core sample. All production from this mine was also being focus on this mining venture as it had now consisted of three mines in one heavy ore extraction business
The McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited was soon ready to develop the Coniaurum Mine further as it was now being extended from the 5,500 foot level of the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine Project. This whole entire expansion would end up creating 20,000 feet of lateral development between both mining operations. As production was underway the company also designed their very own Central Porcupine Sub shaft that was sunken to a depth of 1,348 feet. They would also included further development when much of this shaft became open up by 963 feet of lateral development. In addition the company was also in charge of performing 14 underground diamond drill holes, that totalled 14,701 feet of core sample..
The company was also known for constructing many other shaft operations that became engineered by the McIntyre Porcupine Mines Limited. The No. 5 shaft operation was now experiencing its own production when it was sunken to 2,000 feet. Another shaft known as the No. 6 shaft operation became drilled and blasted to about 1,315 feet. Soon enough this whole entire claim would be once again transformed when company officials had also started on a whole new vein zone known as the No. 11 vein area. As new potential discoveries became uncovered within this vein zone, the company was now commencing more development phases on the soon to be No. 11 shaft. In history the No. 11 shaft was also considered to be the main company shaft that took over all the other shaft operations. As production continued the company had yet again encountered another promising vein that was determined as the No. 12 vein. More so the company was once again achieving development stages when it had sunken the No. 12 shaft from the mines 3,875 foot level to the mines 8,094 foot section. The No. 12 internal shaft was said to have been one of the deepest shafts to have ever gone into production within the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine Property.
As the 1960's had came upon this project, the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine was now looking like a heavy ore producing mine as lateral development had totalled 85,130 feet. Additionally the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine was considered to have been developed by 627,600 feet of drifting, and 309,971 feet of crosscutting. From 1912, to 1968, the mine had produce significant amounts of resources as 9,950,691 ounces of gold was extracted from this operation, that included 1,455,979 ounces of silver. Another copper ore discovery was also came upon in 1963, that had produce 48,538,272 pounds of copper ore from this mining venture. Nevertheless, the McIntyre Porcupine Gold Mine was also considered to have only milled 32,153,379 tons of ore within its own legacy.
To be continued