Work at the time was progressed on the company’s gold showing in Kenogaming Township, of Sudbury District. The work which was completed in 1947, and in 1948, had resulted in completing a geological survey of an unpatented 29 claims in Kenogaming Township. The claim group that was staked at this time had extended northwestward across the southern end of Akweskwa Lake. A detailed description was also given by Hoodoo Gold Mines who had reported that the primary rocks are sericitized, carbonatized, pyritized tuffs and agglomerates. It had also been within this formation that the rocks types were intruded by serpentinite, feldspar porphyry dikes, and diabase dikes. Much of the schistosity of the sericitized tuffs and agglomerates are considered to also be finely crenulated by a second, close spaced flat dipping fracture cleavage. Mineralization which is also present in the area includes sphalerite and chalcopyrite that’s found one of the trenches. Visible gold is also distributed in some of the pyritic shear zones, and gold had also been panned by N. Elieff from oxidized surface material. Assays that were taken from the fresh trench rock had indicated minor values in gold. Work was officially stopped by the end of 1948, and reorganization was made in order to focus on exploring this ground further.
Diamond Drilling in 1947, had additionally confirmed the structure indicated on the few outcrops. Drilling would also show that the flows swing to the east again on the Hoodoo Lake Property. Hole No. 1 was driven under the surface exposure that returned assays as high as 0.09 oz. Au over 2 feet. This resulted in drilling Hole No. 4 that was aimed at further testing the zone had returned 0.18 oz. Au over 2 feet. The drilling under this exposure was, however, not encouraging as it had shown up the vein as a probable tension fracture with little continuity. Holes 2, 5 and 6, had all been drilled to intersect the same structure, but returned nothing better than 0.04 oz. Au per ton. Hole No. 7 had intersected a quartz carbonate vein that returned 0.20 oz. Au per ton over 2 feet. This intersection would also fall along the general strike of those in d.d.h 1 and 4. Holes 3, 10, and 13 were designed to intersect the same vein but had only returned low assay values.
One of the highest assays was taken from Hole No. 14 that returned 1.40 oz. Au over 1.5 feet from 36 to 37 feet. These values were also apparently derived from a white quartz vein that was 0.7-inches long in core, and mineralized with heavy pyrite, some chalcopyrite, and pyrrhotite. This would not represent the same vein which was exposed on the surface of the property. Further down the hole from 194 to 197 feet, an assay of 0.08 oz. Au over 3 feet was obtained from a section containing quartz stringers and light pyrite in sheared andesite. Hole No. 17 that was drilled in a favourable zone further to the northwest gave one assay of 0.11 oz. Au per tonne over 2 feet from 519 to 521 feet. The results of drilling would indicated that the most ground is comparable to the surface exposure, which contains a large number of widely scattered quartz carbonate veinlets and stringers with some pyrite. Results from diamond drilling indicate that they do not have sufficient width or continuity to be commercial, but the possibility has not been exhausted of finding better concentrations along the strike of the interbedded dacites and andesites.
It was on August, 1950, when Hoodoo Gold Mines, would change its name to the newly incorporated Dunvegan Mines, Limited. Work on the property was shortly after once again resumed in 1951, when an increase in price of zinc had encourage Dunvegan Mines to re-examine the property with regards to its combined gold-zinc potential. It had also been at the same time when Canadian Johns Manville Company, Limited, would prospect the Crawford Lake Area. Most of this was done in search for asbestos that was the company’s main primary target in Sewell Township. Other area that was picked up by Canadian Johns Manville had included claims to the west and northwest of the Crawford River, and a total of 126 claims were held by the company.
Canadian Johns Manville Company, Limited were mostly prospecting and exploring the serpentinites for asbestos. It was during this time period that N. Elieff had sent out samples for nickel analyses in the area that resulted in discovering two nickel showings. These showing would be later further explored by Falconbridge Nickel Mines, Limited, and Jonsmith Mines, Limited. One of the grab samples that was collected from the showing by N. Elieff had returned 2.5% Ni, and 0.01 ounces of Platinum per ton.
By 1951, the old trenches were shortly after deepened and a new trench was excavated, and all were sampled for zinc by Dunvegan Mines. Further descriptions from this work had indicated that gold values had appeared to be present, and had occurred in stringers that carried no sulphides. Some of the best graded concentrations of sulphide values were obtained from narrow quartz-sericite schists. A large precentage of pyrite was the main chief sulphide mineral in a fine, powdery form, that was disseminated throughout and the oxidized material on top of them pans very well. However, further problems would be encountered as the exposed mineralization had not exceeded 2 feet in total width. Its also the remaining sheared and silicified volcanic rocks that carry coarser disseminated pyrite with some concentration along fractures. This material was also reported to have carried low gold values.
A few trenches on the property had disclosed dark brown sphalerite that occurs in stringers of quartz and carbonate, along with granular pyrite. This material had also carried significant low gold values that were present. Zinc generally occurs in the form of dark brown sphalerite, generally associated with quartz and sericite alteration. Distribution of zinc is erratically distributed and was commonly observed in four of the ten trenches that were put down along the mineralized zone. Some sections the sphalerite is generally considered to be massive in form of pods and branching veinlets, that are up to an inch in width. Some sphalerite may also occur as finely disseminated form with pyrite being associated with it.
Hollinger Exploration had carried out chip samples on the zone of mineralization that returned values of 0.50% Zn, and less than 0.1 ounces per ton in gold. Assay of more than 12% zinc over 2 feet or 2.5% over 20 feet, are reported from the trench showing that carried the most abundant sphalerite mineralization.
Some of the main outcrops in which nickel values were obtained by E. MacLeod and N. Elieff had been highly serpentinized and carbonatized peridotite, or dunite, that’s about 100 feet by 150 feet in size. Some of the main volcanic rocks in the area are less than 50 feet to the south, which indicate that the nickel values occur rather close to the peridotite lava contact. Upon examination it was revealed that the peridotite is rather a soft, pale green variety, that has been altered to serpentine carbonate and locally to talc. It also weathers to a smooth, dark surface, characterized by numerous joints and narrow shears. The area reveals no evidence of gossan or surface oxidization that’s greater than the normal weathering of a serpentine rock is present. Much of the freshly broken rock, generally contains dissemination of very fine sulphides that would not constitute more than 3 to 4%. Close to the surface, the joints and slips are coated with a powdery yellow mineral, and also a green mineral, which is probably nickel-bloom. The green mineral rather reacts to dimethyl glyoxime, indicating that it does contain nickel (Chrysoprase). It also seems probable that there is some concentration of nickel values within the upper six inches of rock, and that the importance of this occurrence will depend on the results of sampling the fresh rock below this zone.
Asbestos is also distributed through the Crawford River area that occurs in Chrysotile fibre that was located in the serpentine rocks in several place on the Dunvegan Property. A limited amount of work had also been done on an exposure of fibre that’s present within an outcrop on the Crawford River. A second occurrence is also located at about half a mile to the east of this point. In both cases, a few shallow holes had been blasted to expose the fresh fibre. The fibre is a pale amber colour, and of good quality, which occurs over narrow widths and the fibres are considered to be short. No individual fibre longer than 3/16-inch was observed in the outcrop area.
Exploration work in 1951, was mainly concentrated on the nickel potential of the property that was discovered. It was by 1952, when 57 claims covering the area between Akweskwa Lake and Crawford River was investigated by a ground magnetic survey. Results that were obtained from this survey had indicated that the area contains numerous anomalies that were tested. This resulted in completing 16 surface holes, totalling 4,800 feet in length that were drilled on the showing. One other hole, 270 feet in length was drilled on the gold-zinc showing. It was from this diamond drilling program that intersection of minor disseminated pyrite, and pyrrhotite were reported in most holes.
Dunvegan Mines had still retained these claims in 1953, and were adjoining the Norduna Mines, Limited Property. The company during this period had held a total of 18 claims and would option four others from Fallmac Nickel Mines, Limited. This was done in order to form a two-claim wide block extending from the southeastern shore of Hanrahan Lake to ½ miles beyond Bilbe Lake. The claim group had also enclosed a copper showing that was distributed within an iron formation just south of Crawford Lake. A ground magnetic and electromagnetic survey was completed in 1955, and had outlined a concordant magnetic and electromagnetic anomalies over the mineralized iron formation, and a number of magnetic anomalies of over ultramafic intrusions in the area.
It was in 1953, when Nordun Mines, Limited, which was a subsidiary of Falconbridge Nickel Mines, Limited., had acquired 135 claims from Dunvegan Mines, Limited. This resulted in carrying further exploration work that was proceeded on what was now referred as the Norduna Showing. A total of nine surface holes, were diamond drilled, and had totalled a length of 2,065 feet. Eight of these holes were reported to have been located along the strike of the iron formation over a distance of about 1,000 feet. Most of the northerly holes were reported to have been driven northeast of a large diabase dike cutting the Nat River Iron Formation. The ninth hole was located at about 1,600 feet to the east of the northern end of the iron formation in agglomerate and tuff. The best hole which was drilled had consisted of 4.75 feet of mineralized iron formation containing 0.37% Cu per ton. No further work was done since the completion of this work.
The iron formation to the south of Crawford Lake consists of two bands striking N45E, at about 250 feet apart, and dipping northwest at 45. It was also this trend that had cut sharply across the local country rock foliation of the area. The true thickness of either band probably does not exceed 35 feet and to the northeast the iron formation thins to 6 feet or less. It also within the iron formation that chloritic mafic metavolcanics occur to the northwest and agglomerates to the southeast. These bands are also composed of magnetite layers that are up to 5-inches wide, and green ferruginous amphibolite and chlorite layers are also present. Minor drag folding is also common in the iron formation and intense folding has caused brecciation of the chert layers and mobilization of the magnetite to fill fissures and interstices, and causing thickening of the magnetite in the nose of folds. Sulphide minerals are also generally present in almost all outcrops and commonly consist of sub-massive pyrrhotite containing small blebs of chlorite and amphibole. Its also within two exposures that subordinate chalcopyrite occurs within the pyrrhotite and is especially noticeable close to thin diabase dikes cutting the iron formation. All the pyrrhotite veins also exhibit crosscutting relationships and the spatial relationship of the chalcopyrite to the diabase dikes suggests that the sulphide minerals are of replacement origin. Drill hole information indicates that the pyrrhotite generally occurs in mafic metavolcanics northwest of the iron formation where these are in contact with diabase.
By 1954, Fallmac Nickel Mines, Limited., had staked a total of 31 claims in Kenogaming Township in the area south of Crawford Lake. It was by the following year in 1955, that seven unpatented claims were retained and four of these, S65262 to S65263, and S65266 to S6567, were optioned to Dunvegan Mines. Two of these claims, S65267, and S65263 had laid between Crawford Lake and Bilbe Lake, and claim S65267 tied to the west side of claim S65263 covered the central part of the mineralized iron formation south of Crawford Lake.
By 1956, Dunvegan Mines, Limited., had diamond drilled six surface holes, totalling approximately 1,500 feet in length. Most of the drilling was confined to a magnetic anomaly which was located on the western shore of Akweska Lake, in 1952. Drilling resulted in intersections of alter peridotite over most of the length, and had only carried minor disseminated sulphide minerals.
It was by the following year of 1957, when Dunvegan Mines had dropped all of it claims except for nine which were patented. Dunvegan Mines, Limited., would re-stake some of the open ground, and drilled six surface holes, totalling approximately 450 feet, in serpentinite at about ¼ miles south of the No. 2 post of patented claim S49025. Dunvegan Mines would also hold a total of 13 claims, extending from Akweskwa Lake east to the Mindedo Creek, and drilling was commenced. About 1,200 feet of core, in 15 holes, were drilled in serpentinite at about half-way between Akweskwa Lake and Mindedo Creek. This resulted in intersecting minor disseminated sulphide mineralization that were encounter. Dunvegan Mine has been inactive in the area since 1957, and has held no claims since 1965.
A sample that was taken from a small nickel showing south of patented claim S49025 by M. Gouvreau of Norduna Mines, had reported assays of 1% Cu, and 0.90% Ni. A total of two surface diamond drill holes were drilled in order to test the showing on the property. Both of these holes that were drilled had reportedly passed through about 30 feet of dark serpentinite into felsic metavolcanics containing disseminated pyrite, and pyrrhotite. Another hole was additionally drilled in serpentinite at about 600 feet north of the showing. The remaining holes were driven at scattered points throughout the property to test magnetic highs associated with ultramafic and mafic intrusive rocks in the area. Norduna Mines did not continue any further work on the property, and in 1957, the nine claims listed were patented and the remaining claims would be dropped.
Jonsmith Mines, Limited., had also held 12 claims covering the old Hoodoo Lake Mines, Limited., property. During 1960, some diamond drilling was done in the later part of that year, and these holes were located on historical claim S114788. Each hole was just over 100 feet long and the total length was 306 feet. These holes are located on the western side of a diabase dike just over 1,000 feet east-northeast of the original gold-zinc showing. Results from drilling had intersected sericitized tuff cut by thin veins of lightly pyritized quartz. Gold mineralization was also associated with the heavier pyrite mineralization and the highest gold values were obtained from a drill core sample containing some chalcopyrite, and galena in addition to pyrite. The best intersection was cut in hole No. 1 and consisted of 5 feet of sericitized, well pyritized tuff cut by an 8-inch wide quartz vein mineralization with pyrite, chalcopyrite, and galena. This section had assayed 0.92 oz. Au per ton. One other five foot section in the same hole had assayed 0.16 oz Au per ton. All other holes in the three holes registered had intersected below 0.10 oz. Au per ton.
In 1966, Falconbridge Nickel Mines had optioned apart of the property, and examined it by magnetic and electromagnetic methods. This resulted in not disclosing any significant encouraging anomalies on the property, and had only indicated ultramafic intrusive bodies. It was also observed that fairly thing sphalerite stringers were cut in holes 3, 7, and 8, and disseminated pyritic sections were indicated in all holes. In hole No. 7, one section between 305- and 306.7 feet had assayed 1.21% Zn, 0.51 oz. Ag, and 0.03 oz. Au per tonne. Another hole between 407 and 421.2 feet had returned assays of 1.03% Zn, 0.55 oz. Ag, and 0.01 oz. Au per tonne. In general, all assays had indicated gold content less than 0.05 oz. Au per ton, with minor silver values, and high zinc content.
Mineralization is quite similar in appearance to the Joburke Gold Mine that was discovered in 1946. From 1985 to 1989, GK. Stanford, Gail Resources, Limited., and Marshall Minerals Corporation conducted airborne and ground magnetometer, EM surveys, an IP survey, geological mapping, stripping, trenching, and diamond drilling. A programme of extensive overburden removal and limited surface mining for bulk sampling was undertaken in vicinity of the Hoodoo, and Patricia Showings. The stripping had also uncovered a fairly large area of outcrop around the showing which was mapped in detail by Siragusa.
During 1987, Gail Resources had conducted an airborne Geophysical Survey on the property. The survey area had comprised of a block of ground in the Porcupine Mining Division, and was situated 15 km east of Foleyet. A total of five flights were required to complete the survey with flight lines oriented at azimuths of 000-180 degrees and flown at a nominal spacing of 100 metres. The purpose of completing this survey was to record airborne geophysical data over and around ground that is of interest at the time. This resulted in outline a number of conductive bands that are associated with mafic metavolcanics stratigraphy. Some weak, low conductors were also mapped during this time period within the felsic (i.e. rhyolite, as opposed to dacitic) stratigraphy.
Results from this work had indicated that gold mineralization is widely distributed in a south-southeast trending shear zone within carbonatized mafic volcanic rocks cut by abundant intermediate porphyry dikes. The Patricia Zone is known to occur at the northeast end of the outcrop area exposed by the stripping programme undertaken. Significant gold values were also intersected in a mineralized zone which pinches and swells from 3 to 49 m over a strike length of 158 feet m and to a depth of 184 m. The mineralized zone consists of quartz-carbonate veining with disseminated pyrite, and rarely chalcopyrite and galena. Erratic gold values as high as 0.528 oz. Au per ton over 1.2 m occur over narrow lenses of pyritic quartz carbonate vein, separated by non-auriferous, less altered host rock.