The mine property is situated 26 miles south of Collins, a station on the main line of the Canadian National Railways, Thunder Bay district. The holdings include 12 patented claims and 35 unpatented claims, making a total area of about 1,900 acres.
The Chromium Mining and Smelting Corporation, Limited, was incorporated in 1934, succeeding the Chromium Alloy Company, Limited. It has an authorized capitalization of 3,000,000 shares of no par value, of which 1,500,000 have been issued. The officers and directors of the company are: A. R. Globe, president and managing director; R. O. Denman, secretary-treasurer; F. J. Maw, R. S. Hart, and Scott Misener, directors.
Surface work on the property started in the late fall of 1929, when 10 diamond-drill holes have were being put down from surface, and shaft has was also being sunken to depth of 100 feet and had also included some crosscutting on the first mine level that was stationed at the 100 foot level. Concentrating tests made on the ore from the deposit have shown that it will be possible to market a product in the neighbourhood of 55 per cent of Chrome Extractions.
Mr. Jubien states that some eighteen exposures of chromite have been found over a total length of 18,000 feet in a footwall zone about 600 feet wide. The chromite occurs in the form of wide segregations of low- and medium-grade material, in which occur presumably later injections of high-grade material. The widths of these occurrences are exceptional, as high-grade exposures have been found over widths as great as 17 feet with good and medium-grade exposures in widths up to nearly 50 feet. .Surface work on the property was started in the late fall of 1929, when camps for the accommodation of 40 men were erected.
The plant consists of two 85 h.p. boilers, one Ingersoll-Rand 300-foot compressor, one Jenckes 6- by 8-inch single-drum hoist. Steel is sharpened by hand. In March, 1930, a two-compartment shaft was started on claim T.B. 8,814. Company officials had soon expanded this project when 350 feet of sinking was completed and three levels were opened up. Early in September a total of 750 feet of lateral work had been done on the upper two levels. A second shaft was started on claim T.B. 8,422 on another high-grade section of the deposit, but in the late fall financial difficulties compelled the cessation of all operations. Camps on the property consist of the following: cookery, 22 by 23 feet; two bunk-houses, 18 by 32 feet and 16 by 23 feet; assay office, 15 by 18 feet; office, 12 by 20 feet; and residence, 22 by 28 feet. These are located on the shore of a small lake. The No. l shaft is about 1^ miles east, and the No. 2 about a quarter of a mile north of the camps. While operations were being carried on, 39 men were employed under the direction of A. R. Globe, manager, and C. Rutherford, superintendent.
Development work done on the property in 1935 had includes a large amount of surface-trenching, diamond-drilling, and underground development from a shaft which was 350 feet in depth. From the 100-foot level of this shaft 500 feet of cross cutting and 120 feet of drifting have been done. Stations have also been cut at the 225-foot and 325-foot levels. No underground work was done at the mine in 1935. Several ore zones have been found on the property. The largest and most extensively developed is known as the "E" zone, in which the 350-foot shaft has been sunk. In 1934, 12 diamond-drill holes, with total footage of 3,146 feet, were drilled in this zone. Officials of the company have stated that work done in this zone has indicated 225,000 tons of ore, 17 per cent. Cr? Os, in a section 770 feet in length and 300 feet in depth. The total amount of diamond drilling done on the property is 6,150 feet in 33 holes. Ten of these holes were drilled in 1929-30; the remainder in 1934. Work at the property in 1935 consisted chiefly of surface work and the making of a tractor road be tween the mine and Collins, a distance of 26 miles.
After alterations and repairs, silicon operations were started on June 23 1930, and chromium on August 23 1931. This plant was built in 1929 for the production of ferro-alloys, and a considerable amount of manganese ore was treated prior to the general slump in that year. In the fall of 1934, operations were again resumed in the production of silicon mainly for overseas markets. The building is of the usual steel construction which is used in furnace rooms for operations of this type, floor space being 60 by 160 feet. At the time this plant was taken over, there was in operation, one 3,000 k.w. electric furnace producing ferro-silicon, and transformers and other electrical equipment for a second furnace suitable for the smelting of chromium ore. From this equipment, together with the furnace from Niagara Falls, N.Y., a furnace for the chromium smelting has been assembled. In addition to the above, there is a considerable quantity of furnace parts which can be brought together later for more capacity. The plant having been originally designed for the production of ferro-alloys, extensions and additions may be added with a minimum amount of alterations. The capacity of this plant is 350 tons of ferro-silicon per month at the present time. This is being marketed through well-established channels. Dependent upon the type of alloy processed, from 60 to 200 tons of chromium alloy is being produced monthly during its opening. A third furnace is being made ready for chromium and will add to the capacity. In addition tp the purchase of the plant of Superior Alloys, Limited, the company also secured by lease, with option to purchase, the FitzGerald laboratory, which adjoins the furnace plant. The FitzGerald Testing Laboratory is fully equipped with chemical laboratory, two electrical furnaces, and the usual allied equipment for research work. The plant also includes one of the finest libraries of its kind in Canada.
Ore milled in 1935 amounted to 1,200 tons. Early in 1935, 750 tons of chromium ore was hauled to Collins from the mine by tractor. This was stock piled at Collins. Nine cars, a total of 400 tons, of this stock was drawn on during the year. The average number of men employed during 1935 at the mine was 20. During the last seven months of the year an average of 44 men was employed at the smelter. A. R. Globe was the general manager of the company's operations.