By 1914, Cliffton. W. Sherman decided to hire his own brother who became identified as Frank. A. Sherman. Most of this became establish when a new change was made prior to the out break of World War 1. Company officials would have to replace their own products that consisted of Clevises, Bridles, and Stirrups. In general this became replaced by the much needed Marine Forgings, Steel Plating, and processed iron for gun bullets. All of these things we're considered to have been reorganized in order to meet the demands for World War 1 supplies.
Within 1917, the company would also end up purchasing its very own plate mill and forging plant that was about to be used in the making of Shell Forgings. Another transformation was soon accomplished when the company was now known as the Dominion Foundries, and Steel, Limited However company officials had still represented them selves as Dofasco for short terms prior to the company's name change.
When the war had came to a close in 1918, the company was rather developing its massive foundry, which had included 11 open Hearth Furnace with a production rate of 750 tons of iron pellets a day. Much of this would end up expanding the massive plantation as it was now located on 26 acres, and had employed a serious number of employees that totalled a workforce of 2,280 men.
Company officials from the Dominion Foundries, and Steel, Limited. had face their own problems in 1920. Most of this was caused because World War 1 had came to a tragic ending, and had lowered the steel market industry completely. Matters within this industry soon had gotten worse when low tariffs would end up allowing U.S Steel Producers to control a fair share of the Canadian Steel Market. Nevertheless, the Dominion Foundries, and Steel, Limited still became recognized as Canada's only milling operation that was able to produce 6 to 42inchs of universal steel plating.
Milling operations at the new Hamilton Mill we're officials reported to have been completed by the year of 1922. During this time period the Canadian Steel Industry was considered to have put massive down falls towards production for more than a decade. All of this was caused because of taught freight competition within other steel plants that also operated within Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Another massive steel foundry was also reported to have been owned by the historical Steel Company of Canada Limited. Company officials from the Dominion Foundries, and Steel Limited, would soon go under pressure when the Steel Markets had once again increased in price. By 1929, the company was now commencing two shifts within its massive iron foundry as the iron market started to boom heavily in 1926. Much of this became establish because the Iron Steel Market was considered to have been very steady within three years of watching it.
By the following year of 1930, the milling operation was rather expanding in production when Dofasco was now producing 95,000 pounds of casting for a development project in Quebec, Canada. All of this development was considered to have constructed a hydro-electrical plantation, and was known to be Canada's largest producing foundry at the time. Within the great depression era, the steel market was rather going down and up in price. As the massive railway system had started to expand the company was now under tight deadlines in order to get the steel plating it had needed. This type of production had cause some dilemma when it was sometimes order out of no where.
In 1935, the company was now commencing further upgrade towards it massive foundry in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. Most of this had included a newly purchased Cold Reducing Mill that was able to process iron at a size of 20 inches Generally this whole entire purchase would end up making company officials producing the first evel Tin Can Plating in Canada. Much of the Tin Can Plating procedure was commonly known to have stamped Dofascolite in regards to the company's steel by-products. Another change towards the milling foundry was accomplished in 1937, when the company had engineered a Cold Milling Facility with a production rate of 100 tons of processed iron per a day.
Dofasco was rather transforming when World War 2 had escalated and the steel market became extremely high. Much of this change would end up making company officials spent a total of $5.8 million on new engineered facilities. Production from the foundry was reported to have produce three quarters of steel, and Tin Can Plating prior to the out break of World War 2. By 1941, Dofasco had also gotten the contracts to produce armoured plating for the Canadian Military, and was the only company supplying the product.at the time.
Company officials we're rather considered to have been in a steady production prior to the end of World War 2. During 1951, the Dominion Foundries and Steel Limited had soon expanded their operations at the Hamilton Mill Foundry by operating its first ever Blast Furnace. By 1955, the company was soon reported to have been the only company in North America who was in production for Oxygen Steel. This whole entire change was made because the company had found new ways to produce high quality of steel at low operating costs. The company would end up making another purchase in 1954, that included a new Galvanised Sheet division, which was owned by the Lysaght's Canada Limited Within this time period the newly developed 56 inch cold mill was in production, and had its own continues galvanizing line. From 1950 to 1959, the Dominion Foundries and Steel Limited. had spent a total of $120 million on this whole project alone.
Prior to this the company was also engaging in its very own explorations within the year of 1964. Most of this became establish when company officials decided to explore the previous workings of the Sherman Iron Mine Project. Most of theses exploratory procedures had included a series of eight diamond drill holes that totalled 4,312 feet of core sample to be assayed. With indication of high iron reserves the company decided to purchase this claim from the Strathagami Mines Inc. This whole entire claimed area had comprised of 112 claims, and was located within the townships of Strathy, Strathcona, Briggs, and Chamber Townships, within reach of the small settlement town of Temagami, Ontario, Canada.
Another historical change was made in March, of 1955, when the Dominion Foundries, and Steel Limited had incorporated them selves into the Cliffs of Canada Ltd. Much of this became establish when the company was rather getting involved with the production or Pig Iron at the Sherman Iron Mine Project. Before this name change had occurred the company was under a joint venture agreement with the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company who was from Cleveland, Ohio. Company officials from the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company, were mainly in charge of all mining and pelletizing operations. During this time period the company was rather making plans for the future milling facility that was able to handle an annual output of 1,000,000 tons of ore , and the processed material would total 67% of all Iron Pellets. Production from the on-site milling facility was said to commence within 1968, when all preparations to the mill we're officially completed.
Within 1965, the Sherman Iron Mine Project was rather being expanded when the company was now engineering it's very own road and spur line. In addition preparations we're also made in order to make room for the new on-sit milling facility. All of this preparation procedure was being done when the company was rather stripping away the overburden , and had finally set a foundation platform for the on-site mill. Most of this development phase had also been achieved by two contracted companies. These two companies became notice as Carter Construction and Frid Construction, who employed 32 men towards this iron mining operation.
The Sherman Iron Mine Property would also undergo its very own exploration procedures that took place on the surface. All of this exploratory phase had included once diamond drill hole that totalled 104 feet of core sampling. Another series of two diamond drill holes became driven within the hard-rock, and would obtain 810 feet of core samples in 1965. Company officials from the Cliffs of Canada Ltd. had also decided to bring in its very own equipment. Much of this equipment had consisted of three Crawler Tractors, one diesel shovel, and two air-trac drills In general a massive construction phase was also being achieved on the Company's Gate house and Floatation Plant.
By 1966, the spur line was officially completed, and had made it was to the plants in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. This whole entire project was mainly being done in order to provide faster transportation of Iron Pellets to the Company's Mill Foundry. During this year, the company would employee two new contracting firms towards the engineering project of its Concentrator, and Pellet Plant. These two company's became known as the Canadian Bechtel Limited, and the Canadian Allis-Chalmers Limited, who had employed a workforce of 650 men.
Development during this time period was mainly being confined to stripping phase of the North, West, and South Ore-Body's. Once the stripped waste rock had came from these ore-body's, it was than being used for construction purposes of Haulage Roads and Tailing Dams Company officials would also start to expand their explorations when a 600 foot trench that was 12 feet deep became completed A series of four diamond drill holes that totalled 625 feet were also establish to uncover any more potential iron reserves.
Company officials from the Dominion Foundries and Steel Limited had owned 90% of all mineral rights to this iron formation, while Tetapega Mining Company Limited had also owned a 10% share of all the ore production. Most of this whole entire project became controlled by a subsidiary company known as the Cliffs of Canada Limited.
In 1967, the company and its hardworking contractors had eventually finish the first stripping phase of the North, West and South Ore-Body's. Construction within the tailings dam was also known to have also been officially completed within this time period. Another huge project was soon undergoing construction phases when the company had started to dewater Vermillion Lake in order to make more room for the tailings pile. Most of this procedure was also done to prevent contamination from the Tailings entering the waterway. As production was pretty high the company also started on constructing Weirs in order to control the flow of water, in prevention of contamination entering Timagami Lake. Almost all construction phases of the Pellet and Concentrator plant we're official estimated to be in production by February, 1968. All construction was being done by the Canadian Bechtel Limited, who also we're granted a contract for the engineering phase of the company's crushing facility.
Company officials from Cliffs of Canada Limited, would also start to bring in more equipment that consisted of one electrical shovel, and a loader. A series of eight diamond drill holes that totalled 2,523 feet of core sampling were also driven within the surface. No other production or development was reported to have escalated within the year of 1967
Development and Production was rather making this project look like a mining operation at full force in 1968.Most of this was caused when the mine's concentrator and Pellet plans we're officially in operation by March, 1968. Generally this was also known to have been designed by modern day technology that included a single Centralized Control Room for both plants.
Within 1968, Production from the open pit operations was rather expanding this whole entire mining zone when a total of 3,500,000 tons of ore became hoisted annually. All this ore was considered to have been taken from the North, West, and South Workings. Milling within that year had process a total of 3,072,689 tons of ore that came from all three workings. Much of this whole entire milling phase would end up processing a total of 971,096 tons of concentrate. All of this concentrated ore had given the company a net profit of 859,741 tons of iron pellets that were to be shipped from the mine to the foundries in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and Cleveland, Ohio. U.S. During this time period the company would undergo another series of five diamond drill holes, which had ended up totalling 1,623 feet of core sampling.
1969, was rather known as a very productive year within the Sherman Iron Mine Project. Much of this was caused because the company had installed a floatation section within the concentrating facility. Generally this was installed in order to increase the recovery and to lower the Silica Content within the iron ore deposit. As production continued the company also decided to purchase its very own X-ray Spectrometer, which was able to provide the percentage of iron and silica content automatically from the core samples Company officials from the Cliffs of Canada Limited. had also taken extreme measure towards blasting procedures. Most of this became establish when the company decided to develop its very own Blast Control Plan. In nature this whole entire plan was engineered to minimize or eliminate damage to the ore content, and to also reframe from getting complaints filed against them.
Production from the mine workings had soon hoisted another 3,500,000 tons of ore within 1969. Milling within this mining zone was now processing a total of 4,382,072 tons of ore that produce 1,314,367 tons of concentrate. in general this concentrate had given a net profit of 1,183,026 tons of iron pellets that became shipped to the mill foundries. Further so the company also commence a series of five diamond drill holes that would end up totalling 2,952 feet of core sampling.
Some more problems had occurred in 1970, when equipment failure had place a down fall on the Sherman Iron Mine Project. The property during this time period of operating had belong to Cliffs of Canada, who continued mining the iron for pellet production. This iron mining project was rather known to have been worked under a joint venture agreement with Dominion Foundries and Steel, Limited. During this time period it was also reported that the Dominion Foundries and Steel capitalization was increased 25,000,000 common shares with no par value. For the most part it was also stated that Dominion Foundries and Steel, Limited. had owned 90% interest of this operation, and Tetapaga Mining Company had the remaining 10% interest. Further statements reported that the Sherman Iron Property had comprised of 200 claims located in Briggs, and Chambers Township, within the Nipissing District. At the time, the Sherman Mine was rather being further developed when open pit mining, concentrating, and pelletizing was continued. Most of the iron product that was shipped to the Steel Plant in Hamilton would undergo further processing in blast furnaces. Treatment which was undertaken on the iron pellets had amounted to a total production of 1,940,617 tons in 1970.
Some more issues had came upon the company when DEFASCO had experience the most substantial cost increase in the history of this company. Most of this was caused due to the rising coal prices that had increased by 35%, and Scrap metal costs went up to 47%. In addtion to this, it was also reported that tin and electric power had also rose by 10%, while wages and city taxes increased by 7%. For the most part this had resulted in lower contributions of earnings from the Sherman Mine than that of 1969. To top this off, it was also reported that gear failure had cause a reduction output by 15% in 1970. Even more changes were made to pricing when the company had increased its prices for al flat rolled products. Year production requirements at the time were initiated for 2,400,000 tons of pellets. A total of 914,000 tons of this material was reportedly supplied through daily unit car shipments of pelletized ore from the Sherman Mine in Northeastern Ontario.
Further explorations were begun in 1971, when the Dominion Foundries and Steel, Limited had started their own expansion program on the Sherman Mine. No other work was stated to have been completed during the 1971 expansion program of the Sherman Iron Project. Production of iron pellets was rather increased by the Dominion Foundaries and Steel, Limited during 1973. Mine production from the Sherman Mine was rather continued at a rapid scale in shipping iron pellets from their mining project from 1974 to 1980. For the most part it was also stated that production from the Sherman Mine was being achieved 3,300 tons of iron pellets on a daily basis.
During 1971, the Sherman Iron Mine was rather undergoing further expansion at its site in Temagami, Ontario, Canada. Production that was produce during this time period had amount to 1 million tonnes of Iron Pellets that were produce. Most of this was achiever from the North, South, and East Pit Loaction. These pits together make up for a very large scale mining operation at the Sherman Iron Property.
Mine production at the time was continued onward when the South and West Pits were still being productive in which had produce 1,135,000 tonnes of Iron Pellets. All the iron pellets that were recovered at the time had rather been shipped by railway to the Defasco Plant in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Development at within 1981, was confined to further expanding the West and South Pits in order to further deepen them to increase production at the Sherman Iron Mine Site. Diamond drilling that was aimed at delineating the Turtle Lake Deposit was concluded, and a haulage road was built across Turltle Lake in order to access future mining from the East Pit Location.
Another major down fall had occurred in 1982, when the mine and plant were closed down for 11 weeks during the summer time period due to a depression in the Steel Market. This resulted in a decrease in pellet production to 850,000 tonnes that was processed from 1,135,000 tonnes of ore that came from the mine workings. A total if 75% of all crude ore was also mined from the Central Portion of the West Pit, and 25% was mined from the South Pit location during the year. Development planing at the time was also being achieved towards expanding the open pit operations in order to continue deepening them. Trees at the time were also timber from the East Pit and further stripping of the area was being planned to continue in the operating year of 1983, for the purpose of developing the area.
Most of the vacation time allowance was mainly adapted due to the lack of demand for steel products during the operating year of 1983. Due to this down fall it was reported that production had gradually fallen by 12% from the previous year to 762,040 tonnes of Iron Pellets produce from 2.79 million tonnes of Crude ore. Waste rock that was removed during the time had also totalled amounted to 4.17 million tonnes that was taken from the Sherman Mine workings in Temagami, Ontario, Canada. Other downfalls had rather occurred when it was found that the ore in the South Pit was pitching out at depth, and a closure plan was in effect by the end of 1983. Development at the time was mainly focus on widening and deepening the West Pit operation at the Sherman Mine Project within that year of operating. Even more work was rather being achieved when the East Pit had become further stripped, and mining of the first bench was officially initiated at the time. A total of 47% of all crude ore was mined from the East Pit location, 33% was also mined from the West Pit and the remaining 20% had come from the South Pit Operation.
Production was rather being contious within the operating year of 1984, in which the Sherman Mine had shut down for 5 months due to vacation time allowance. The possibility to increase the production was also there as the mine provided 1,016,000 tonnes of Iron ore pellets from 3.76 million tonnes of ore taken from all three open pit operations. Prior to this, a huge amount of waste had also been removed in which had totalled 5.1 million tonnes that was stockpiled on site at the time. Most of all mining operations at the time were confined to the West Pit that provided 43% of all production and the East Pit that continued to be the main productive pit of 57% of all ore that was taken from the mine. Most of development work on the East Pit location had also included an extension to within 1,300 feet of the eastern end of the orebody and mining down to a third bench. Some experimental studies were also taken up in regards to further fluxing the iron pellets by the use of limestone at the site prior to shipments of the product to the DOFASCO Plant in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
In 1985, the historical Sherman Iron Mine had been effected by a 5 week shut down period for the fourth consecutive year during that time period of operating. Much of this shut down was mainly caused do to a 5 week vacation period from July to August as apart of the company's employment contract. Recovery of Iron pellets during that year had also amounted to 1,018,297 tonnes that was processed from 3.98 million tonnes of ore that was extracted from the three open pit operations. Mining operations at the time had also remained consistent throughout the operating year of 1985, in which mining waste was declined by 44% to 2.84 million tonnes of waste. Mining operations were also being achieved within three open pit operations during the operating year of 1985, in which the East Pit had produce 60% of all production. The pit was also described to have been developed in an enlongated shape, and was developed to the third productive bench within this project. The first bench within the East Zone was completed in 1985 to the eastern boundary, and the second bench extended three quarters of the way across this pit. A total of 30% of the ore was also mined from the western portion of the West Pit, and 10% of all production had been taken from the South Pit. Much of the mining within the South Pit was mainly being done for scavenging operations, with the remaining ore in the pit removed by a backhoe. It was also at this time when the new Turtle Lake Pit was being further stripped in order to have this operation productive for the operating year of 1987.
The Sherman Iron Mine at the time was also under the ownership of the Dominion Foundaries and Steel, Limited, and Tetapaga Mining company. Between the two companies, Dominion Foundaries and Steel, Limited had owned 90% of all interest in this property, and Tetapaga Mining had only owned 10% interest in this project.
In 1986, the Sherman Iron Mine project was experiencing some down falls within that time period. For the fifth consecutive year, the low grade iron mine had once again shut down for 5 weeks. Three pits at the time were again being utilized during that time period of operating this iron mine project. About 60% of the ore that came from the mine was being developed, and extracted from the East Pit workings in 1986. For the most part this fairly enlarged pit was now considered as the production pit for most of the iron ore. Other development had resulted in the completion of the second bench, and only one third of this bench was mined within the operating year of 1986. About 28% of the ore which was mined had also become developed, and produced from the central portion of the West Pit, and about 12% came from the South Pit. Much of the mining operation on the latter pit was rather being done as scavenging operation, with the remaining ore removed by the use of a backhoe. Within that year, the company was also focusing on further stripping the Turtle Lake Deposit, and mining was projected to commence in 1987. The only major new development was stated to be a firm commitment towards continuing fluxing all pellets at the mine site. Last year alone the Pilot Plant was establish, and had undergone testing to be used for the pellets produce at the Sherman Iron Mine. The only two mining operations that were producing iron pellets at the time were the Sherman, and Adam's Iron Mine Projects which weren't located to far away from each other. Production that was achieved had rather increased from previous years as 1,038,000 tonnes of iron pellets were recovered from 3.44 millions tonnes of crude ore. Mine waste at the time had also been decreased by 4% in which 2.7 million tonnes was discarded as waste.
Five week shut downs had continued onward during the operating year of 1987, in which the low grade iron mine was suspended from producing crude ore from the pits. It was during that time period when the fourth pit known as the Turtle Lake Deposit was place in production, and provided even more crude ore from the Sherman Iron Mine Site. By placing this pit into production the main east pit had shortly after declined to 47% of all production that came from the Sherman Mine during that year. Much of this had also face a declination towards the West Pit that had been reduce to 29% of Crude ore production. Most of the issues at the time bad rather rises due to the development of the Turtle Lake Pit that was being started at the time of operating this project in 1987. Production from the South Pit had also dropped by 5% due to this development as it was mainly used as a scavenging operation by the use of a backhoe. Much of the eastern part in the South Pit was already mined in which development and production was being done to the western margin of this pit. Mining and production at the eastern put was also extended down to the third productive bench at the time of operating this portion of the mine workings. Production from the first bench was also started at the Turtle Lake Pit, which was being done to the western portion of this open pit operation. Other development was also taking place on the surface when a new grinding mill was place under construction, and would cost the company nearly $1.5 million to fully complete it, which would be use for flux processing. Some more preparations were being done in regards to experimental purposes of using waste carbon with the processing of Pellets at the Sherman Mine. Production at the mine had also increased for the second conceive year by 5% to 1,087,120 tonnes of Iron pellets recovered from 3,780,000 tonnes of Crude ore. Mining waste at the time was also increased by 2% to 2,690,000 tonnes of waste that came from the four open pit operations at the Sherman Iron Mine Site. It was also reported that sufficient ore had also remained at current mining rate to last up to the operating year of 1995.
Other exploratory work had also continued when the mine was undergoing a gold exploration program on the tailing and pit locations at the time. Most of this had become encouraging due to the talk about the same ore that was found to the West as the Golden Rose Mine Site. This had prompted a serious exploration programs in regards to ongoing drilling that was taken place at the four open pit operations within the Sherman Mine Project in 1987.
Low production was rather a major set back for the mining operation due to a low labour workforce that had dramatically become increased in 1989, with a 9% rise in iron pellet production to nearly normal levels closes to 1 millions tons. Other down falls would also take place when a broken waterline had effected the milling operation, and a fire would also break out in the electrical panel of the concentrator. Neither of these drastic events had resulted in lay offs and the mine was also suspended from July and most of August due to the company's 5 week vacation period.
Production at the Sherman Iron Mine had recovered 970,318 tonnes of Iron Pellets that were produce from 4,013,358 tonnes of Crude ore that came from the Sherman Mine Project. This also resulted in a decrease of 25% towards the mining of waste rock which had only accounted to 1.52 million tonnes from all four open pit operations. A decrease was also made in the average stripping ratio of 0.41% compared to 0.59% of the previous year of operating this project. A total of 50% of all production was also extracted from the West Pit operation, in which several benches were removed for the deepening of the Central Portion of this open pit project.
Production that came from the East Pit had also remained consistent as the amount of Crude ore produce had been 40% at the time of operating the Sherman Mine in 1988. Development activities that were being carried out at the Turtle Lake Pit had been reduced, and a total of 10% of all production was taken from this location at the time. Most of this lack of development was mainly due to the announcement by Defasco, Inc. to close down both operations, the Sherman and the Adams Mine by March, 31 1990. Most of this cause was mainly due to the uneconomically low grade ores that were within these two separate mining operations at the time of falling market prices. Other statements had reported that the annual processing of ore would also continue to February, 1990, in which the mill would also be closed down. The last train load of Iron pellets was also being aimed at being shipped within the last two day of closing all operations down at the Sherman Mine Project and also the one at the Adams Mine Project.
This major closing would also effect 50 of the Sherman Mines workers that amounted to a workforce of 342 workers who were employed at the time. Much of the remaining work force of 292 men would be mainly engage in the decommissioning of the Sherman Iron Mine Project for several months on end. The Sherman iron Mine was officially closed down on March, 31, 1990, after being in production for nearly 22 contiguous years within the Temagami Area. Most of the contributions towards these factors were mainly caused due to low grade Ore, and unreverisable disadvantages that were rather a rising factor at the Sherman Mine Project. Within 3 months of operating this site the mine was credited for producing 705,258 long tonnes of Crude or that was mined and processed at the Sherman Mine Project. The concentrator had also produce a recovery of 958,584 tonnes of Crude feed and another 314,919 tonnes of fluxes concentrate during the operating year of 1990, in which the last shipment of Iron Pellets was made on May, 1990. During the life of this mine project, a total of 84,603,516 tonnes of ore was produce, and 77,328,905 tonnes of waste was extracted from this project. A total of 25,027,433 tonnes of concentrate was also produced, and 22,244,212 tonnes of pellets were produced and shipped by rail to the Defasco Plant in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Most of all pellet production since June, 1985, was mainly being fluxed at the time of making these changes to operations.
Other major changes would also take place when the Mine Assets were also officially sold to Park Corporation of Cleveland, Ohio. As the closure occurred it was also stated that a small group of men were kept at work following the site clean up of the old Sherman Iron Mine Project. In consultation with the local U.S.W.A a comprehensive deference package was agreed on in which provided severance allowance, improve pension benefits, añd a housing subsidy. Funding was also provided towards job retraining and location residing to those who had developed the Sherman Iron Mine Project. A decommissioning plans would also be establish in consultation with the Ministry of Northern Develonent and Mines, the Ministry of Environment, the Ministry of Labour, and the Ministry of Natural Resources. In terms, Pyrok North America was also conducting a feasibility study on a cemented board plant which would utilize some existing facilities. Another interest group at the time was also actively pursuing the idea of building an airport on the tailings basin. Defasco was not only great but had also provided funding for regional economic development within the area of Temagami, Ontario, Canada.
To be continued