This whole entire claim was reported to have been first staked on 18 claims within the township of Strathy, in the district of Nipissing, Ontario Canada. More so this whole entire property would comprise of 720 acres of continuous explorations. The mine can be reached by traveling south on highway 11, towards Goward. In general this whole entire discovery was first reported to have been made by a prospector known as R.G. Leckie in 1905. Production and development was also reported to have been start within the Leckie Gold Mine Project. As development continue the mine was now experiencing two shaft operations that became establish to the depth of 56, and 50 feet below ground levels. Generally this had created more than 130 feet of lateral development from both shaft operations. Almost all explorations we're mainly being confined to test pitting and trenching procedures. In addition the prospector and it's hardworking men would end up processing a total of 244 tons of ore. Most of this whole entire possessing stage was being done on-site by a newly developed 10 stamp mill operation. With little ore the company also decided to close this mine down for the first time in its own mine production life by 1908.
Another re-opening was reported to have taken place in 1909, when the mine was under new ownership. Historically the company who bought this mine was recognized as the Grey Siding Development Company Ltd. During this time period the company would go under investigation to see what really had been discovered within this claimed area. With more encouraging results it was now time to go into development with the Leckie Mining Operation. All of this became establish when company officials decided to do more test pitting procedures, and had eventually commenced production within this mining zone.
In 1933, the Leckie Gold mine was going under new ownership when all files became transferred to the Manitoba and Eastern Mines Limited. At the time, the old Leckie Gold Mine was being reorganized into the Manitoba and Eastern Gold Mines. Most of this would end up happening when the company had wanted to make a name for it's self. Company officials from the Manitoba and Eastern Mines Limited would also commence further explorations within this claimed area. Some of these historical procedures had included a massive diamond drilling phase that totaled 3,000 feet of core. A new discovery was soon noted to have occurred and would eventually lead into development of a new 2 compartment shaft operation. This whole entire discovery would make company officials sink the No. 4 shaft to about 525 feet on the No. 1 vein zone. Production from this magnitude shaft had came from the 200 and 300 foot levels. Development within this whole entire project had created 1,800 feet of lateral development from all extractions.
More changes soon had escalated when the main shaft operation was sunken from 325 feet to the mines 525 foot level. Much of this newly developed mining zone had soon constructed new levels that became stationed, and cut on the mines 100, 400, and 500 foot sections. As these newly developed levels became constructed the Manitoba and Eastern Mines Limited would undergo it's own diamond drilling phase that totalled 2,601 feet of core sample. Within this time period the mine was rapidly expanding when the company's miners had constructed 2,207 feet of drifting, 715 feet of crosscutting, and some 14,300 tonnes of waste was also hoisted in 1935.
In 1936, the Manitoba and Eastern Mines Limited had came to an optioning agreement with Bobjo Mines Limited who had paid $202,500 for these optioning mineral rights. Almost all the underground workings had became suspended when company officials would commence their own exploration procedures. Most of this was reported to have taken place on the west side of the mining property during the summer and fall months. Generally the Manitoba and Eastern Mines Limited was said to have been incorporated in March 1928.
By 1937, production from the Manitoba and Eastern Gold Mine was officially under way when company officials from the Bobjo Mines Limited would end up working this mine from January 1 to March 31, 1937. As the mine became suspended, most of it's working had also been allowed to completely flood. The main mining mill was also reported to have been sold within the month of November, 1937. Another huge change would be made when company officials had decided to lease this mine for one year. Within this lease company officials had allowed the unknown corporation or prospector to renew it. This also gave the Manitoba and Eastern Mines Limited a 10% gross from all the ore that was recovered from this mining operation. Development during 1937, had included another small scale diamond drilling program which had totalled 2,424 feet of core sampling to be assayed. Most of this was all taken from underground levels and had eventually constructed 57 feet of crosscutting, and 366 feet of Drifting.
The Manitoba and Eastern Mines, Limited had rather controlled 12 claims, and a licence of occupation on No. 2117 around arsenic lake in the central part of Strathy Township. Much of the area is rather described to be uncertain by Keewaton greenstone, that had additionally been cut by quartz porphyry, older diabase, and olivine diabase dikes. A much dioritic mass to the East of the main zone is describe by Savage to be pre-algoman diabase. Most of the underground work had also been done on the No. 1 Zone that is situated to the East of Arsenic Lake. This is also a well mineralized, silicified, altered in greenstone is known to have a strike N. 014 degrees W and is commonly considered to dip at 050 degrees. Upon examination this zone had also been traced along the surface for a distance of 400 feet, and is known to be made up of several veins instead of one presisten vein that appears to overlap. This vein zone is rather described to be cut by a lamprophyre dike, in which the mineralization consists of pyrite, arsenopyrite, pyrrhotite, and chalcopyrite. Much of the mineralization in many place is rather described as massive and a through examination of the dump material has also suggested considerable variability, in which a given specimen of any sulphide mention can dominate.
The No. 2 Zone which is known as the Little Dan Mine is also located to the south of Arsenic Lake, and on the surface it's a narrow band of solid arsenopyrite in platy schist, which strike north-south and to the east of North. A shaft that was approximately 56 feet deep was sunk on this showing which has also been explored by 90 feet of lateral development. This also followed by the No. 3 Showing that has been explored by trenching, and incline shaft by high-way 11, which was also known as the Ferguson Highway. Mineralization at the time was also reported to have been explored by trenching for about 400 feet, and gold values range from $20.67 were rather shown to range from 0.40 to $12.00 and the vein width is from 1 to 5 feet. Much of the underground work within the mid 1930's was sponsored by Bojo Mine, Limited, and had ran till March, 1937, when the plant had become dismantled. Good values in gold were obtained from this work but it was reported that the character of the deposit was rather lensy and erratic in value to continue with mining operations. Grab samples that were taken from the No. 1 and No. 2 Deposits had been assayed for gold, silver, Cobalt and nickel which yield assays from 0.30 to 0.87 ounces per tonne but contained no cobalt or nickel and traces of silver.
Within 1970, the claims were taken up by A. E Perron who had replace the Clenor Mining Company that reorganized it self from the Beanland Mining Company. It was also stated that the Canadian Charter of the Clenor Mining Company would be canceled in 1970. It was at this time that the main geological showing was mainly underlain by intermediate, and felsic volcanics, that locally displaced pillow structures, as well as amygdules, and variolitic texture. Narrow, apparently disconinous beds of cherty iron are found at about a few hundred feet northeast of the shaft. A peculiar or conglomerate occurs at about 200 feet northeast of the shaft. This breccia also consists of subrounded to angular fragments of mafic metavolcanics, felsic metavolcanics, and iron formation. It may also be a fault breccia or an intrusive breccia. The northeastern part of the claim group is also underlain by sheared, and ankeritized felsic metavolcanics
There was a total of three ore-shoots that had been outlined, one being on the 300-foot level averaging 0.23 ounces of Au per tonne over a width of 1.3 feet and had a length of 205 feet. There was also two ore-shoots on the 200-foot level, in which one average 0.274 ounces of gold per tonne over a width of 0.9 m, for a length of 24.7 m, and one that average 0.33 ounces per tonne over a width of 0.9 m, for a length of 15.9 m. Much of the gold arsenide deposits of Arsenic Lake are known to also occur in mafic to intermediate metavolcanics, in which display a well developed diabase texture. In association with the arsenide minerals is also bodies of quartz porphyry. A narrow dike of biotite lamprophry was also evident near the south end of this deposit zone.
The No. 1 Showing is rather located on the eastern end of Arsenic Lake on historical claim WS13. The main vein of this showing is also reported to strike N. 14 degrees W, and dips westward at an angle between 050 and 060 degrees. Much of the deposit is rather made up of fractured quartz, and silicified greenstone, well mineralized by arsenopyrites, chalcopyrites, and Iron Pyrites.
Another showing known as the No. 2 or Little Dan Mine is located near the southeastern Corner of Arsenic Lake on historical claim WS14. Vein material from this showing is known for consisting of quartz, and siliceous lava carrying a considerable amount of massive sulphide, in which arsenopyrite is the predominant mineral. Old assay plans are known to show the shaft to be 56 feet deep, and about 90 feet of drifting, and crosscutting. Gold valuse indicated from this zone were valued at $20.67 per ounce produce, in which had range from $0.40 to $84.30 per tonne in gold.
The Penrose Prospect is commonly known to be within an altered, and shear zone, striking 14 degrees North-West. and dipping 50 to 60 degree west. It's rather reported to be located next to a mafic Metavolcanics, which contain discontinuous arsenide bearing quartz vein for a distance of 2,000 feet. Much of the showings on claim WS13 and WS14 at the east end of Arsenic Lake are within the Little Dan Prospect. Sampling from the No. 1 showing on claim WS13 had assayed 1.14 ounces ounces of Au per a tonne, 1.16 ounces of Ag per a tonne, and 0.92% Cu. Some more assays were taken from the No. 2 showings in claim WS14, and range from 0.02 ounces of Au per a tonne, to 4.2 ounces of Au per a tonne over a width of 0.5 feet to 4 feet. Showing No. 3 in claim WD598 had assayed 0.02 ounces of Au per a tonne to 0.60 ounces of Au per a tonne over widths of 1 foot and 5 feet.
Some more testing procedure we're being conducted on the Penrose Prospect that was named after Penrose Gold Mines Limited in 1948. A small testing procedure of ground geophysics was the only exploration phase conducted by this company. Another staking was made when Stroud Resources Limited and Lacana Mining Limited had staked this claim in 1985. Another huge prospecting stage would occur when company officials had started commencing Sampling, Mapping, Trenching, Ground Geophysics, and geochemistry procedures. However nothing encourage was reported to have came from this area besides some small traces of gold. Nevertheless, company officials from Stroud Resources Limited and Lacana Mining Limited would end up abandoning mining operations by the end of 1985.
It was within 1986, when Stroud Resources,, and Lacana Mines had undertaken a major diamond drilling program at the Leckie Property in Strathy Township. Most of this had taken place following encouraging results surface stripping and a trenching program that was done by the two companies. This had rather resulted in the discoverer of three parallel zones that became identified, and provided assays up to 0.50 ounces of gold (Au) per ton over 6.3 feet. Some more drilling had taken place in order to test the continuity of two separate ore zones below the trench, which returned a best result of 0.1 ounces per ton gold over 30 feet. There was also significant silver values that were obtained in some of the holes drilled that year. A 10,000 foot diamond drilling program was initiated on March in order to follow up the best looking areas, and produce some of the widest intersections within the Temagami Area to date. Two holes on one section had returned values including 0.22 ounces of gold per ton, and 0.53 ounces silver per ton over a core length of 23.8 feet, and 0.145 ounces of gold per ton over a core length of 57.7 feet. With encouraging results it was also at this point in time when a third diamond drilling program was initiated in October, with intent of further testing this structure. Most of this drilling phase became accomplished by using a floating barge in order to drill under arsenic lake.
Inco Limited had rather commence their own explorations on adjoining claims to the north of the present Leckie Property that was owned by Lacana Mines and Stroud Resources. Explorations which were undertaken on the property had consisted of stripping, trenching, and sampling of a gold showing on a group of claims. Most of this was done in order to follow up on a linecutting program, and geological/geophysical surveys that were completed in 1985.
Manridge Exploration had also made optioning agreements with INCO to explore 9 claims in Strathy Township. One of these claims was also reportedly known to have adjoined INCO Limited Ground to the west, and host known gold occurrences. By this time it was also reported that a road was constructed to this area which allowed a limited stripping, and sampling program to be completed. A number of grab and chip samples were reported to have carried gold values to 1.50 ounce per ton
Major explorations had continued onward by Lacana Mining Corporation and Stroud Resources, Limited, who continued diamond drilling its Leckie Property. Diamond drilling that was commence had been aimed to further explore the encouraging results obtained from 1986. A new program of drilling was reportedly undertaken within March, and April to test the down dip exstentions below the 152 m level of the main zone. For the most part it was also reported that this diamond drilling program had intersect mineralization below this level. However, it was also stated that the location and gold values were not encouraging than previous drilling done higher above this level. The companies at the time had also continued on exploring this area when another drill program was initiated on January, 1988. More so this program was mainly aimed at further expanding the reserves at the main zone area, and to also trace the mineralization horizon further along the strike. A small diamond drilling program was also commenced at a second gold occurrance which was located to the southwest, and had intersected encouraging values.
Further explorations at the time were also being conducted by Manridge Explorations, Ltd, who had option nine claims in 1986, in Strathy Township. This had rather resulted in additional stripping and trenching which was carried out on a single claim that was adjoining a group of claims held by INCO, Limited. to the east. Diamond drilling which was undertaken had resulted in 13 surface holes, totalling 1463 m in order to test the on-strike and down dip continuity of high, but erratic gold values obtained from surface showing. Most of the gold mineralization within this area is strongly associated with sulphides which occur in a narrow shear zone cutting mafic volcanics, and a complex of layered mafic intrusive body. Quartz feldspar porphyry dykes are also known to be strung out along a boarder deformation zone that occurs in this general area. From this driling program it was rather reported that the drill indicated good gold results, but the erratic nature of this mineralization had continued. Other areas which were option had also underwent further stripping and minor trenching in a group of claims that were adjoining the Net Lake Group.
Stroud Resources, Limited had rather completed 7827 m diamond drilling program on the Leckie Property which was formally known as the Penrose Mine in 1988. The company was also known to have went under joint venture agreements with two other company, which resulted in continuous drilling from 1986. One hole that was drilled had intersect 0.237 ounces of gold per ton over a 9.36 m interval at a depth of 213.4 m on the main zone. Drilling that was undertaken had resulted in a new reserve calculation of 193,000 tons grading 0.215 ounces of gold per ton. Much of the gold mineralization within this area was reported to have been associated with arsenopyrite, pyrite, and chalccopyrite which occurs within locally sheared mafic metavolcanic rocks.
Another joint agreement was made between Lacana Mining Corporation, Stroud Resources, and Xador Resource Incorporated in 1988. This agreement had allowed the company to earn up to 30% interest by expanding $1 million on exploration by June, 1989. Lacana Mining Corporation would than retain 40%, and Stroud Resources,Limited would get the remaining 30% interest. The company's intentions at the time were being planed out to expanded the reserves at the main zone, and continued exploration programs on the second gold occurrence, located southwest of the main zone.
Some more changes were made when Corona Corporation and Stroud Resources had continued exploring the Leckie Gold Property. By this time, the two companies had underwent further explorations by initiating a 3,109 m diamond drilling program on the Leckie Property in Strathy Township. Most of this was done in efforts to try and increase gold reserves, and to follow up on past drilling from other companies on this property. It was rather stated that the latest exploration drilling had outlined the mineralization length of the main zone to 305 m, down to the depth of 305 m. Assays which were undertaken from drilling had included 0.126 ounces of gold per ton over a width of 6 m, which had also included a section assaying 0.224 ounces gold per ton over 2 m. The company's objective at the time was aimed towards expanding the reserves at the Leckie Main Zone by future diamond drilling, and to continue explorations on a second gold occurrence (1989)
By 2000 it was reported that Corona Corporation and Stroud Resources had suspended their work on the Leckie Property. Most of this was mainly caused due to the Temagami Land Caution that prohibited further staking on any known mine or occurrence. . .
By 1992, it was rather stated that one third of the Temgami Greenstone belt was opened for staking in Strathy, and Cassle Townships. As the ban became lifted, it was rather stated that several staking were made in order to discover new lode gold zones, and volcanogenic massive sulphide base deposits. The Temagami Greenstone belt is rather known for hosting past producing iron, copper-gold, copper-nickle -PGE, and gold mining operations. Much of the Temagami Greenstone Belt is known for hosting three low angle, high deformation zones known as the North East Arm, the Link Lake, and the Vermilion Net Lake Deformation Zones. These geological structures have the potential for hosting significant lode gold, VMS Deposits, Deposits of Iron Formation, and magnetic copper-nickle PGE. .