Discoveries of different banded iron formations were commonly considered to have been discovered within Temagami, Ontario, Canada. Prospecting for iron formations within the Temagami area is commonly known to also date bay to the early 1890s. One of the most historical iron prospects within the area was first called the Cumming Lake Iron Mine. Iron explorations within the Temagami area, were being conducted by the historical Dominion Golf Company. It was during this time period when the company establish airomagnetic surveys procedures from 1947 to 1949. Company officials from the Dominion Gold Company had additionally staked two claim groups in Scholes Township in 1951. These stakings resulted in further explorations which included geological, and ground magnetometer surveying in 1952. Further prediction by J.H. Ratcliffe, who was a geophysicist for the Dominion Gulf Company, had stated that the iron was formed due to an anomalous condition. Mapping Procedures were also being establish by H. Reimer, while examinations were being done by Mr. Ratcliffe. Some more statements from the company's geophysicist had stated that the iron formation was located at a depth of 600 feet below the exposed upper surface of the flat lying diabase sill. After completing further testing it was soon apparent that the claims were not worthy enough, and Dominion Gulf Company had reverted them back to the crown.
1957 - Claims Acquired by North American Rare Metals, Limited - incorporated on June, 1955. Owned and operated by W.D McCoy.
Company officials from the North American Rare Metals, Limited had continued drilling this deposit further within this time period. Results from this drill program soon resulted in an iron formation to be overlain by a capping of diabase, and segments averaging close to 900 feet in thickness. Drilling within 1946 and 47 was also being done under contract by R.L Sagsworth. Drilling within this time period soon had uncovered three iron zones known as the North, South, and Rio formations. Diamond drilling had take place on the North, and South Zones at the time of these discoveries. Further examinations of the core had resulted in concentration of iron mineralizations, but the tonnage was never calculated.
Surface explorations of the future Tinto Iron Mine had been officially completed by the contractor within this time period. Another shaft sinking contract was now being granted to Barley, Geer, and Associates in Oct, 1959. The whole entire property at the time had also consisted of 80 claims, which were located in Scholes Township, and to the west of Temagami, in the District of Nipissing. Development during this time period had resulted in the shaft sinking phase of a vertical three compartment shaft operation on claim T.37963. Sinking of the No. 1 shaft had officially taken place when the companys contractors had completed the sinking phases to a depth of 621 feet below ground levels. Diamond drilling within this time period had resulted in the completion of one underground diamond drill hole. totalling 1,210 feet in length.
Structural development within this time period had consisted of a hoistroom, a powerhouse, a machine shop, a dry house, office, and warehouse, a cookery, a detonator storehouse, and a powder magazine. Even the whole entire plant had consisted of a Canadian Ingersoll Rand, 60 by 30 inch, hoist, 14,000 pound rope pull, 920 fpm, with a 200 H.P, 60 cycle, 550 volt, 3 phase motor, 3 diesel generators, and two air compressor. Operation at this site became temporarily suspended in October, due to not having the proper accommodation for the winter season.
1960 - Optioning rights were now given to the Rio Tinto Mining Company from the North American Rare Metals.
A susidairy company known as Tinto Iron Mines, Limited had became incorporated to take over optioning rights .It was also at this time when the company had named this operation the Tinto Iron Mine Project. All mining operations at the Tinto Iron Mine had resumed on June, 3rd, 1960. Shaft sinking within this time period had further sunk the shaft another 557 feet to a total depth of 1,178 feet below the surface. Development within the underground workings consisted of a 500 pump station, a 1,000 access, and the establishment of the 11 level. All of these things were considered to have been constructed on levels at 497, 1,001, and 1,099 feet below the shaft collar. Lateral development within 1960 had consisted of 1,303 feet of drifting, 681 feet of crosscutting, and 33 feet of raising that was completed. Diamond drilling within 1960, had consisted of 46 holes, totalling 19,391 feet from underground, and 7 surfaces holes, totalling 15,764 feet in length. Construction at the time was aimed at building four timber construction dormitories. Mining operation at the time were being operated by D.E. Howard Engineering Contractors. Crosscutting also continued when the 1,099 foot level was being opened up 650 feet of crosscutting to the northwest. Examinations of this level had indicated that this section was highly altered by Keewatin Lavas from the station to a distance of 160 feet from the shaft. From this section on it was also stated that lean iron formations could be seen followed by a diabase dike overlain with cobalt conglomerate from 310 to 380 feet. Much of the whole entire crosscut section is known to continue into the diabase to 470 feet, where it then enters the main zone of the iron formation. A horizontal drilling program to the northwest at the end of this crosscut had indicated that the iron formation has a width of 400 feet. This also had resulted in drifts being driven to northeast, and southwest, which establish diamond drill stations at 200 foot intervals. Company officials had also place two diamond drills to work within these drifts, and a third drill had been ordered to keep up with exploration programs. More so it became reported that this became achieved because the mine and surface buildings were not equipped to cold weather conditions, which resulted in suspension.
Some more drifting within this time period had amounted to 1,300 feet, and over 19,000 feet of diamond drilling was completed from stations underground. A small pilot plant was also set up which had tested a total of 650 tonnes of ore, which was done to evaluate possible metallurgical flow sheets. This also resulted in other testing procedures that included agglomeration and pelletizing tests. Rio Tinto at the time had also hired six different engineering firms to assist the company in engineering, and estimating studies.
W.A. Carter who was a consulting engineer for North American Rare Metals had stated that the evaluation of the Tinto Iron Project had indicated the feasibility of constructing a plant capable of producing 1,700,000 tonnes of high-grade iron pellets
Rio Algom, who was the successor to Rino Tinto, had decided to withdraw from active management of the affairs of Tinto Iron Mines. Most of this was caused because the company did not deem it practicable to bring the iron property to production in 1964. Almost all ownership of this property was then handed over back to the North American Rare Metals, Limited. The whole entire mine also had went through a change when it became re-named from Tinto Iron Mines, to Eagle Rock Iron Mines. It was done because Rio Tinto had decided to form into the Eagle Iron Mines, Limited.
Another staking on this property was made in 2007, when Temagami Iron Corporation had acquired this claim. Explorations continued when the company had conducted a ground magnetic survey over the Rio Zone, and some lines over the north zone. Surveying within these sections soon resulted in confirmed magnetic anomalies.
Temagami Iron Corporation continued to explore this area further when a gravity survey was run on selected lines over the Rio Zone. Another line was also conducted over the North Zone, which resulted in a new airborn megnetic survey that was flown over the whole entire property. This resulted in the evaluation of ore reserves that were indicated below the 650 foot level of the Eagle Rock Iron Mine Site. Survey results soon had gave a total ore reserve estimation of 380 million tonnes for the Rio Zone, and 520 million tonnes for the North Zone. Ore reserve indications from this mine site had indicated a total of 2500 million tonnes of iron ore, which graded 27.24%. Evaluation procedures at the time were not completed to the full extend as other reserve estimations could also be found on the 650 foot section.of all three zones. Iron formations from this area are very much considered to be like the Algoma type of ore-bodies. Other predictions reported that the Scholes Township area is rather known to be made up of an Archean rock formation, which is buried under the Cobalt sedimentary rocks, and the Nipissing Diabase Sill. Archean rock formations are considered to be caused by volcanic, and sedimentary rocks, which four facies of iron formations may be present. These four facies of Iron formations are determined as Sulphide, Oxide, silicate, and carbonated.