The Frood Mine became discovered by a prospector name Thomas Frood, who originally had work for the federal department of Crown Lands. In doing so he had prospected and stake many claims in an area known as Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. While out prospecting one day this man had came across a trapper known as William Nelson. This brilliant individual had tipped him off on some prospecting land in the late 1800's. Several claims within that geological area had developed some of Sudbury's famous Mine operations. In general these profitable claims we're strongly known to be located in McKim Township, which was located north of Sudbury. Before Thomas Frood had settle out to explore these discoveries, He located a partner by the name of A.J Cockburn to go with him. In general these two magnificent prospectors had soon staked some land in McKim Township; Frood's former partner A.J Cockburn had staked lot 6, on concession 6, while Frood himself had staked half of lot 7, on concession 6. After these two prospectors had staked their claims, They would later transfer their files to J.H Metcalf, and W.B McAllister in 1884. But soon after it had once again transfer its files to the Canadian Copper Company. (CCC). Generally the CCC was commonly known for its light explorations while The Frood Mine was a huge project.
In 1900, the Stobie Mining operation was rather well in operation during this time period, and was mainly extracting the ore from the stope sections. More so a whole mapping and surveying phase was made to truly reveal the size and shapes of these underground stopes. Even all mining conditions within 1900 had been proven to be very safe when it came to operations on these stoped sections. Almost all development work on the second level stope section was rather closed within this year. However, the Ventilation during this time period was pretty crucial and the company was given instruction to establish a ventilation shaft from the surface to the mine's fourth level. No furher production or development was being achieved during this time period by the Canadian Copper Company.
Massive stope sections became additionally mined from this area within wide sections as the ore-body was rather wide. It was rather described as stoping but others had referred these as massive chambers that were developed to mine the ore-body. Other statements had reported that the second level stope section was known to have a known length of 124 feet, with the width being 45 feet, and the height sitting at 75 feet. This was considered to have been an increase by 15 feet from its original height in 1899. Another stope section on the third mining level was considered to have a length of 108 feet, with the width at 80 feet, and was 70 feet in height. Development was also confined to extracting the ore-body on the 4th level stope that was 100 feet in length, 43 feet in width, and 75 feet in height. Even the workings within this time period were considered to be very well ventilated and drained to meet mining regulations. There was also a magazine built for explorsive that was situated at safe distance of 600 feet from the workings, and buildings. A small problem did however occur when a small explosive magazine was built near the rock crusher, and the first level stope sections.
However these two crazy individuals weren't the only ones to have succeeded in prospecting some land. There was also two other miners within the area of Sudbury, Ontario as well. These two famous prospectors became known by the names of James Stobie, and Rinaldo McConnel In history they both were known for designing and establishing the great Stobie Mine Project. In terms of its geological area, the Stobie Mine was officially claim on lot 5, of concession 1, in Blezard Township. Another prospector by the name of William Mcvitties had also staked a quarter of lot 7, on concession 6, in McKim Township. Nevertheless it soon became notice that many claims were starting to sell in the Blezard Township area. In general they were quickly purchased by the Canadian Copper Company who had open their Stobie Mine Project in 1886. A few years later after the Stobie Mine had officially open up, Mcvitties had sold his claim to Frank Cochrane in 1908. But by 1910 Frank Cochrane would give up his own claim after he had sold it to Mond Nickel Co for $100,000. By 1901 the former Stobie Mine would almost become abandon but Mond Nickel Co had soon re-staked this claim. Now with a new chance at finding profitable ore, the company had sent some of its own explorers to explore the #3 shaft. In historical terminology the #3 shaft was also commonly located on the Frood Mine property. It was here that the company eventually discovered some profitable ore resources. In addition to their discovery, the Mond Nickel Co had soon erected a new shaft to replace the old one. Soon enough buildings were also being majorly developed in the area, follow by a massive railway system. With new developments the stobie mine had soon became operational by the following year of 1902. But this massive corporation would soon run into several more problems as this ore was extremely hard to process.
The Canadian Copper Company would soon put a closure to its Creighton Mine Project after producing 110,549 ounces of ore. The main reason for this closure was because new resources were found at their Frood Mine Project in 1913. It was at this time period when the Mond Nickel Company had close their Frood Mine. . In nature this historical closure was done when Mond had put full upgrades to its Frood Mine. In transaction to this, Mond had even deepen their own shaft while constructing a shaft house over it. Besides constructing this shaft, Mond had made other changes to. Some of these changes were noted when Mond added a large hoist that included a rock crush, follow by the many supporting buildings. Eventually the International Nickel Company had also developed their own town site which was call The Town Of Frood MInes. In the same year this impressive extracting company had also built 8 house, 4 Rooming Houses, which also included its very own post office. In history this post office was commonly known to operate for 3 days before it was close down. About 1 year later several corporate owners had decided to construct a school for the miners kids. Nevertheless the Frood mine became operational by 1914 when all these changes were made. However this opening may have happen but the mine became once again close after extracting 174,354 tonnes of ore. The main reason for this typical closure to have happen was because new discoveries were made at INCO's Creighton Mine. Nevertheless this operation had its own problems when it came to ore processing.
At its own peak, The Mond Nickel Company soon staked several claims within Sudbury, Ontario as world war 1 had started. However nickel wasn't really consider as an important element when it came to war related products. The reason for this was because it wasn't use in the making of rifles, machines guns, or even Bayonet Steel. Regardless of its poor support company officials started to get worry as their nickel resources we're low. This major company issue had trigger a rapid growth towards its employment as drillers and shaft sinkers we're needed. In nature this became establish when the company needed to find more profitable ore resources, The company nevertheless had provided a camp for its own workers. However, later in history Mond Nickel Co would have to shut down its project as ore was disclose at depths they couldn't reach, In general this had cause its work area to cease production when the mine reach 1000 feet. At this time Mond Nickel Co was properly shut down along with its townsite.
But soon in 1929 the legendary Frood Mine had re-open, and had re-done another exploration thoroughly for any more ore deposits, It soon became indicated that another profitable ore discovery was found within this mining operation. in general this massive ore discovery had also contain two other metals known as Nickel and Copper ore. In historical terminology ore is form when two ore deposits are found and extracted in the same location. With new news of this mines opening, corporate owners had soon re-open the town site of Frood Mines, which consisted of 100 pilgrims. Nevertheless a company post office was also re-erected the same year. The Frood & Stobie Mine We're well known to be continuous underground exploration for quite some time. Soon enough the Canadian copper company had became apart of the newly form INCO on January, 1st, 1929. Eventually these two massive corporation had a first time ever meeting. Here Alfred Mond who represented Mond Nickel Co, and Robert C Stanley who was commonly known as the president of The CCC, Had discuss their issues. With new beginnings INCO would start constructing a new town site for its own employees. In addition this major development had consisted of 27 houses, a three story bunkhouse, and cookery. They had also re-developed the company store and school for the miners children. Although soon the town of Frood Mines had accommodated 400 residents who once live here. In 1929 their was another ore discovery when researchers experience this mine to be one continuous ore body. .In transaction to this, INCO was commonly know for sinking its first ever five compartment shaft which went down 3,040 feet. Nevertheless, in the same year the CCC had sunken the four compartment shaft down to 3,345 feet. In terminology this had made the Stobie Mine consist of ten underground levels. All these levels became located at 400, 750, 900, 1200, 1400, 1700, 2000, 2400, 2800, and another level at 2,300 feet. In historical terminology the last level was considered to be extremely profitable in ore resource.
Once this company merge had came to its own completion, company officials had soon taken their own mine productions to a rapid work level. However resources within this mine operation had soon proven to be lower then they we're suppose to be. In general this massive claim was suppose to contain more then 91 million tons of ore, but had only estimated 43.5 million tonnes of high grade ore. When the Frood mine was first explore by this company it was noted that ore resources had continue towards the massive Stobie Mine Operation. Nevertheless there was also a great discovery of ore which became found in this typical mine area. In general production this massive company had produce more then 14 million tonnes of ore within this location alone. The newly establish INCO had soon made anther change to its smelter because mine productions were becoming heavy. Nevertheless this newly built smelting complex was able to supply corporate owners with 10,000 tonnes of crushed ore resource.
In the fall of 1929 there was a huge stock market crash but it had no effects on the Frood-Stobie Mine Operations. However this massive corporation had to soon deal with another economical problem when the economy went down. In general this had eventually turn into a deep depression that had no effects on the Nickel Market what so ever. As it was reported, between 1929 and 1930 that nickel was at a high rate, and production became establish at a steady level. Generally there we're several claims being stake within the Sudbury region at this time period. Nevertheless it was also confirm that Sudbury had an outstanding metal mine progress throughout any Canadian mine operation. During the Great Depression, Mond Nickel Co, and the Falconbridge Nickel Company would start developing several mine operations throughout Sudbury, Ontario. These massive projects were commonly known to employ several people when the economy was down. it was said that just the expansion of Copper Cliff had brought twelve hundred jobs to its underground plant. In nature this was done because company officials had bought a gigantic concentrator and smelter complex from INCO. With new expansions these massive constructed plants had needed several more people to operate them. But by the following year Mond Nickel Co would have to get rid of some of its employees. This massive corporation had a rapid employment rate of 8,839 people who work within INCO. Although with several thousand people lay off, this company was only down to 2000 employees who we're either fulltime or part-time.
In 1939 the Royal Couple King George, and Queen Elizabeth had made their arrival in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada after stopping 44 times across this country. The Royal Couple were known to make several stops across Ontario, Some of these stops included a visit Bradford, Guelph, Kingston, North Bay, and Ottawa. When the Royal Couple had stop in Sudbury they had several plans upon their arrival. In additions to this, the Royal Couple had a huge gathering at Athletic Park once they had arrive. In nature this park was later change to queens Athletic Park after their visit. They were also the only Royal Couple to have ever gotten a full tour of The Frood & Stobie Mine Operations. Soon the Royal Couple would fine them selves in appropriate gear for the poor mine conditions. Once these famous individual's were all ready to go on their tour, they had plunge deep into the surface at the mines 1500 level. It was also considered to be bad luck to bring a woman underground at this time. So in addition to this, the company had decided to close their mine down for a couple of days prior to the Royal Couples visit. This was done because such a myth was believe at this very time period. The reason why the Queen had visited Sudbury, Ontario, Canada is because this city had provided a lot of effort towards World War 2. Nevertheless the invasion of Poland had such a dramatic effect on this soon to be city. There was also known to be several communities within Canada, United States, and Britain who had provided their own supported towards this war in many ways. One particular mining community that had provided several war related efforts was strongly known as The Frood & Stobie Mine in North America. The International Nickel Company at the time was able to produce 95% of all allied demanded nickel resources.
World War 2 was commonly known as mechanized war which brought several changes towards mining equipment. In order for any allies to win this battle, they would need guns, tanks, planes, battleships, and a lot of other types of weaponry. These important tools of fighting were commonly known to be made from nickel plating, and other types of nickel alloys. One example of this equipment that was a major contributor towards the war goes by its flying name the B-28 Superfortresser. This massive flying object is commonly identify to be constructed from thousands of pounds of nickel. Some of its own gear was also made from this metal, this includes the cooling system, and the many engine parts which were also developed from this metal. They had even developed the controlling assembly for the built-in guns from nickel resources. It was during the Pacific war when nickel prices had strongly increase, and mine activities became extremely productional. In general this war strongly needed to build engines from nickel alloys as it protect them from salt erosion. it was also reported that landing invasion crafts, submarines, and aircraft carries had also contain this metal. Nickel was also use to harden armoured plates on tanks, and even nickel alloys were use in constructing aircraft guns. They had even developed portable bridges for the invasion attack on Germany from nickel.
during 1929 to 1941, nickel was strictly known to be under government control, and had sold for 35 cents a pound. in nature this was strongly known to be harsh as it had dramatically by a stunning 31 1/2 cents. Prior to world war 2, nickel was commonly known to go anywhere from 40 to 50 cents a pound. it was also noted that any exporting sales of nickel, copper, and platinum we're also being control by the Canadian government. Eventually these crooked individuals had also team up with the British government, It was in 1943 when the Canadian victory nickel became constructed. But soon enough this would change from its nickel alloys, to a copper zinc alloy. Nevertheless it was also reported that the United States had also made a coin to, but their coin was constructed from silver. For quite sometime nickel ore became well known to be roasted in a big open area. In general the main concentrating plant became constructed on railway tracks which were known to be 7,500 feet long. The ore was then put in between these tracks where it became roasted right then and there. In terminology this massive plant became well known for processing millions tonnes of ore from it's operation. The way company officials had roasted this ore was mainly done by 4 foot long cordwoods of excellent quality. It wa then built in a rectangular shape where the ore would be place for processing. This rectangular area became commonly known to be not more then 100 feet long, and about 60 feet wide. once this roasting phase came to its complete finish, this was strongly consider to have produce 5000 tonnes of ore per day. Over periods of days this cordwood had started to burn which cause it to crack. This was known to be one of the most critical things in any ore processing stage which had employees on high alert. After a few days the plant became commonly identify not to contain these major disasters. In nature this mill was reported to have burnt ore from anywhere between 6-7 months. Then it became set for loading by steam shovels which drop this ore into carts. Nevertheless it was also noted that roasting ore in open areas had cause the creation of sulphur dioxide gas. This type of gas became strongly known to produce a ground choking gas of thick black smoke which kill off vegetation. Although in 1929 this type of practice had became illegal as new technology smelters were made for processing ore. In nature this ore train was commonly known for exporting more then 10,000 tons of ore every day. However this would be taken from the main mine to the Carabelle mill plant for finishing.
A small electrical fire occurred in the 2,800-foot-level crusher station at the Frood-Stobie mine, about 11.30 P.M. on June 9. The crusher became plugged with ore, and friction developed between the motor pulley and the rubber drive belt- The belt caught fire, and three motor resisters were also overheated and damaged. The fire was reported to surface at once by the crusherman. The mine power supply was cut off, and water was applied to the burning belt and hot equipment.
A short circuit caused a fire in the motor-generator set supplying power to the large cage hoist at No. 3 shaft of the Frood-Stobie mine about 10.30 P.M. on July 3. The fire was extinguished at 11.05 P.M. following the use of fire extinguishers and a fire-hose equipped with a fog nozzle. The rotor and stator coils of the A.C. motor were damaged and had to be rewound. The hoist was out of service for four days.
In December, the oxidation of sulphides in the rock used to backfill a block of square-set stopes at the Frood-Stobie mine caused sufficient heat to start a series of small fires in the timbering of No. IB drift through this block on the 2,600-foot level. These small fires were extinguished with water, and the immediate area was cooled down by piping in about 3,000 tons of water-borne sand fill.
In 1951 the Town of Frood Mines would once again reopen because there was a majority of activity happening within this region. Soon company officials had also added more additional homes to it's own company town. Besides being a major producer, this company was well known for adding 10 more homes, making this mine site host up to 21 dwellings. The reason for this company to have establish several accommodations was because it was needed for their supervisory and employees. They didn't want any of their employees to be far from the mine as transportation was extremely harsh. The only way to have access this mine was by taking a train which didn't operate on a daily basis. It was also reported that the population had grown significantly to 106 residents. Nevertheless this population would once again rise to another additional 23 residents by 1956.
However it was in 1959 when the city of Sudbury had eventually apllied to the provincial government to prospect the remainder parts of McKim Township. By 1960 the provincial government had eventually approve this amalgamation which disappointed INCO. In return for revenge INCO would soon close down its townsite. It became witness that this historical company town had dramatically decrease in population to only 19 resident, before it became truly a ghost-town. Then in the 1970's the former International Nickel Company would completely demolish this townsite in revenge against Sudbury, Ontario. Even with this townsite demolish, INCO was well in production with its three shaft operations. In 1968, shaft #3 was commonly known to contain two more underground shafts which we're known to be call shafts 4 and 5. In general the #4 shaft had reach a quite significant depth of up to 2,783 feet below ground levels. Eventually this massive shaft became sunk down to 3,100 feet. The other four shafts that we're located at this mine had all sunk to the indicated depths below.
Eventually in 1969 there was another mine shaft completed which was commonly determine as the #9 shaft. This impressive mining shaft had soon went into production where it was known to take over all of its other shaft operations. It was also discover that shafts 6 through 9 we're all located on the Stobie Mine property. While shafts 1 to 5 we're commonly located on the Frood Mine property. However it soon became quite clear that all these operational shafts we're known to be just one continues mine operation. The following year they had also deepen the 7 & 8 shafts to 3,892 feet, and 2,774 feet. To this very day the Stobie Mine shaft 3 is still in production and producing heavy ore bodies.