General Information on the mine
Mine or Prospect Status: Abandoned Mine Site
Type of workings: Underground and Surface workings
Township Location: Blezard Township
Closest City or Town: Sudbury, Ontario
Province and Country Ontario, Canada
Latitude: 46° 33' 3.71"
Longitude: -80° 59' 30.7"
District location: Sudbury District
Subprovince: Sudbury Structure
Belt: Sudbury Igneous Complex
Tectonic Assemblage: South Range/Murray Granite
Formation type: Mafic Intrusive, Ultramafic, intrusive igneous
Chemical Compositions: Quartz, Diorite, Argillite, Gabbro, Granite,
Common names: Mount Nickel
Deposit Status: Producing Mine
Primary Commodities: Copper-Nickel
Secondary Commodities: Cobalt, Gold, iridium, palladium, platinum, iron, Rhodium, Ruthenium, Silver,
Geological Events: Meteorite Impact Zone
Start Date: 1891
Close Date: 1892
Re-Open Date: 1915-1915 - 1952 -1959
History of the Mount Copper-Nickel Mine Property
Another copper-nickel property known as the Mount Nickel Mine was first discovered within the mid 1890's. Most of this resulted in further exploring this area when copper staining was discovered on the surface of the future Mount Nickel Mine Project. This had additionally led to further stripping the ground that had exposed this copper staining further. Grab samples that were taken by two prospectors had also returned 1.52% Cu and 2.05% Nickel with minor PGE. Upon taking grab samples and further stripping the land it was also reported that a prospect shaft was sunk to a depth of 76 feet below the surface before exploration work was discontinued in 1900.
It was from March to December, 1915, when another company took possession of this property by leasing its from the Mond Nickel Company. Agreements at the time were also made towards mining this area with the ore being purchased by the Mond Nickel Mining Company. The Mount Nickel Property at the time had also been taken up for further exploration work by the Sudbury Leasing and Development Company. Most of the whole entire property was also known to be situated on Lot. , within concession 6, of Blezard Township. Most of the work at the time was mainly being aimed at dewatering the No. 1 Shaft to a depth of 76 feet below the surface.
Prior to dewatering the shaft, the Sudbury Leasing and Development Company had also rehabilitated it. Work at the time was focus on straightening the main shaft and also further sinking it to a depth of 158 feet at an angle of 40 degrees. Lateral development had also followed when levels had become cut and station on the mines 78 and 142 foot horizons. Much of the ore that was located on the first mining level had become stoped out to the east and west side of the main No. 1 Shaft Operation. Stoping on the second level at 142 feet had also just commenced during this time period of opening up this newly developed level. Most the work that was done by the Leasees would only continue till the end of December, when the Mond Nickel Company had decided not to purchase the ore. Other statements reported that the section of the ore-body within the Mount Nickel Mine was anywhere between 30 to 40 feet wide and had assayed 1.04% Cu and 1.99% Ni. Diamond drilling that was done at the time had proven the continuity of the main ore-body that had calculated a reserve estimation of 270,000 tonnes grading 1.02% Cu and 1.80% Ni. Production for the time period resulted in hoisting a total of 13,000 tonnes of ore that was transported to the Stobie Branch Line by horses and sent to the Coniston Smelter. Much of the need mining machinery at the time had also consisted of a Lombert 125-H.P boiler, a 5-drill compressor and a 7-inch by 10-inch hoist. Not much capitalization at the time was also gained by the company as it had only been worth $40,000, with the president being J. A Holmes and Vice President and Manage being Thos Travers.
Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited had once again resumed exploratory work that confirmed the downward plunge of the ore-body to a depth of 700 feet in 1950. It was by 1952 when the company had progressed towards dewatering the Mount Nickel Mine Shaft in 1952. With dewatering complete the company had rehabilitated the shaft and started on deepening it to a depth of 372 feet below the surface. This resulted in opening up another level at 240 feet as lateral development would continue to define the ore-body. Production was first achieved in 1953, when ore was taken out from the stope sections on the 142 and 240 -foot horizons of the Mount Nickel Mine. Hoisting was also being done as the ore became hoisted from the underground workings and would additionally be shipped to the smelter owned by the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited. It was also at this point in time when production was rather on going and the mine would officially close down by 1959. Most of this closure was mainly due to not being able to find good mining lengths in order to keep production going at the Mount Nickel Mine Site. Much of the mineralization is know to be mainly made up of pyrrhotite, chalcopyrite, pentlandite, granite, and gabbro and is apart of the South Range Deposits. 46° 33' 3.71"
Much of these deposits are strongly known to straddle the contact between the Sudbury Igneous Complex and the footwall rocks, which are supracrustal rocks of the Huronian Supergroup and granite from the Murray Pluton Contacts between the footwall rocks and the norite of the Main Mass of the complex are also well defined and sharp. Sudbury Ore bodies are quite unique in characturistics and are among the largest Copper-Nickel Sulphides on Earth with over a net-worth of 1 billion produce in the Sudbury Mining Camp. Most of these deposits are known to commonly occur along the lower contact of the Sudbury Igneous Complex, that is, in the contact Sublayer, the footwall Breccia, and/or the footwall rocks themselves, and in offset dikes. Some of them are known to also be formed within the Murray Granite which produce quartz-diorite deposits that are similar to most deposits in the Sudbury Igneous Complex and Sudbury Structure. Offset Dike deposits are formerly known to host some of the biggest and deepest mines in the Sudbury Mining Camp, which included Copper-Cliff, Frood-Stobie, Totten-Howland Mine, Whistle Mine, Foy, Blue Lake Sulphide Prospect, etc. South Range Deposits are mainly known to be underlain by a sublayer and contacts between the Norite bodies. For the most part, these are rather related to contact sublayer deposits that have minimal extent as mining operations to be deemed economical.
Base Metal deposits which are formed within the Sudbury Structure are known to be derived from rich molten magmas. With this had also accumulated a flow rich Copper-Nickel Deposits that carried other metals with it to the near surface. Massive inclusion bearing-sulphides are known to also be overlain by a contact sublayer quartz-diorite which contains up to 60% disseminated sulphide. The inclusions which are observed are known to also be exotic mafic and ultramafic rocks, and even footwall rocks. Most sulphide content is also known to decrease upward within the quartz-diorite to about 20% in the South Range. Some of the common metals that are found included nickel, platinum, palladium, rhodium, niccolite, chalcopyrite, silver, gold, lead, zinc, cobalt. Ore Bodies which are formed within the Mount Nickel Property are quite small inside due to the fact that they are near norite contacts to east and west. Most of the work was done towards the west and had been; laterally developed to about 500-feet on two levels. Ore lengths within this section of the property could not be obtained in order to keep the mine going from 1952 to 1959, before it had closed down.