Falconbridge would additionally acquire this property through it major company expansion that had taken place during the 1930’s. It was at this time when Falcobridge would go onto acquiring the property which is commonly referred as the Northbridge Prospect. It was prior to 1932, when the main sulphide showing was yet to be further exposed by trenching operations that took place. It was rather reported that much of these showings had ran anywhere from 0.18% to 9.50% Cu, and a trace to 3.35% Ni. Much of the exploration work that was being continued on the Northbridge Showing was generally being conduct adjacent to the Milnet Prospect Site. Statements made by Falconbridge had reported that the ground on strike of the quartz-diorite dike was geologically mapped during this field work. This resulted in also putting one diamond drill hole down at an angle of nearly 0.45 degrees to a depth of 225 feet under the main sulphide showing. It was also within this hole that would intersect quartz-diorite containing some disseminate mineralization. Other parts of the area were also being explored by a magnetometer survey that covered a length of nearly 5,600 feet on strike of the dike which was completed. This survey would additionally outline four magnetic anomalies, two of which had coincided with the surface showings, and two that occurred in the most overburden areas. One of the most latter of these anomalies was reported to had extend beyond the north property boundary of the former Falconbridge Claim Claim S-21893 into unexplored ground. It was also in view of their alignment on strike that it was assumed that the anomalies occur on overburden reflect the same condition as those directly associated with sulphides. The magnetometer survey was also followed by an electro-magnetic survey covering a length of 2,200 feet on strike of the dike. Other plans at this time were aimed at deciding the extent of the showing that would involve more extensive drilling and development work to be carried out in terms of it be economical valuable as a mine.
Geological statements rather refer this ground as dikes of quartz diorite which extend into the footwall rocks of the Sudbury Basin and are similar to the Parkin Offset structurally and mineralogically. Some of these major structure of similarity are commonly known to include the Foy, Copper Cliff, and Worthington Offset Dikes. These primitive mining operations have long exceed the life of normal mining projects and continue to provide economically high-grade Cu-Ni ore. It also the Northbridge Group of claims that covers the indicated strike of the Parkin Offset for a length of approximately a mile. About one half of this strike length had rather been tested geophysically with encouraging results, and the remainder of the claims had virtually been unexplored. Development work that was undertaken at the Milnet Mine which was about three-quarters of a mile north of the Northbridge Claim Group had shown the same quartz-diorite quartz dike, to enhance the prospect of successful exploration of the Northbridge Ground.
Northbridge Mines, Ltd., would additionally come to agreements with Falconbridge in order to further evaluate the Northbridge Prospect which is located about two miles north of north-east corner of the Sudbury Basin. Northbridge during the early 1950’s, was formed in order to further explore the ore-making possibilities of a mineralizaed dike of typical Sudbury Basin Offset Quartz Diorite which had been exposed at intervals on the claims by surface stripping and trenching. Estimates were also made on the strike of this dike that had appeared to strike at about N 0.40 degrees E, and would appear to traverse the claims from about the center of Parcel No. 42 in the Township of Norman to the north boundary of Claim S-57460 in the Township of Parkin, and also to extend to the north-east by at least as far as the exposures on the Milnet Mine Grounds. Access which was taken to this property was additionally taken by a gravel road which takes off from the Capreol-Milnet Highway five miles north of Capreol. Other expansions were also being done towards this main access road as it would become extended to service the mining operations being conducted by Milnet Mines, Limited. It was also this main roadway that had provide access into the Northbridge Claims that was being worked on by joint venture agreements with Northbridge and Falconbridge. Some of the main surface showings that were further explored had been done for nearly 1,100 feet strike of the dike, and would also be centered at approximately in line with the Norman-Parkin Township Line.
Within 1950 to 1952, when much of the old rock trenches on claim S-5265 and 542676, in the northern half of Lot 5, Concession 2, had revealed two zones of nickel bearing sulphides measuring 50 feet by 20 feet, and were 80 by 18 feet. These showings were additionally drilled by the main property holders known as Jonsmith Mines, Limited, which was also Jonsmith Gold Mines, Ltd. The company it self was never really an independent company but a subsidiary company to the Jonsmith Gold Mines, Ltd. Drilling on the property that was conducted by Jonsmith Mines, Ltd., would additionally show the presence and outline of two separate ore-bodies. To better define these major ore-bodies it was rather reported that Jonsmith Mines, Ltd., would lease out the property under joint venture condition to explore the quartz diorite dike. Agreements by this time were made with Milnet Mines, Ltd., in order to further evaluate the potential of this property. The company would additionally go onto leasing a block of ground surrounding these two ore-bodies from Jonsmith Mines in 1951. It was also at this time when the leased block had rather measured 1,000 feet by 500 feet to the depth of nearly 500 feet.
Statements which were made from the reports by Jonsmith Mines, Ltd., had rather reported that the grab sampling program was fairly satisfactory. It was commonly considered to have assayed well in nickel, copper, platinum, gold, and silver. Further exploration work was made under the hands of directors who undertook a diamond drilling campaign, and surface examination on their property in the Sudbury District. Exploration work was primarily aimed at corroborate the grab-sampling, and in order to provide data to estimate the extent and the nature of further work. A total of two areas were additionally being explored by means of diamond drilling as they were categorized as zones. These areas or zones were typically referred as Zone No. 1 and Zone No. 2.
Information on Zone No. 1 had rather consisted of two old rock trenches in the east central part of the patented claim S-5265. These were generally mineralized with heavy pyrite, pyrrhotite, pentlandite, and chalcopyrite mineralization that occurs in tongues of comparatively fresh diorite. The structure is very complex and it is apparent that the diorite is not a continuous dike, but rather occurs as a series of figures, which strikes in a generally northwesterly direction. It was also believe that the areas which were cut by diamond drill holes had been place at near vertical dips. These areas are largely intruded between the contaxct of a somewhat contorted band of limestones on the southwest, and a series of cherty quartzite to the northeast proximity. A zone that is nearly up to 30 feert thick of highly silicified breccia had been developed in the quartzite along the contact between it and the diorite, and locally, there are also inclusions of this breccia within the diorite. The breccias is also considered to be well mineralized with very finely disseminated, barren pyrite in places. It was also describe that the ore mineralization is rather known to occur in much solid masses and lacey networks in the massive, unsheared diorite, which is probably related in distribution to certain flat joining and two bands and irregularities in the form of the intrusives. In trench No. 1, the lenticular body of mineralization has a length of about 50 feet and a maximum width of about 20 feet. Three drill holes, some 30 feet vertical below this trench had given off the following results:
Hole No. 1 21.4 feet of core length assayed: Hole No. 2 – 24.2 feet of core length assayed
Nickel 1.76% Nickel 1.42%
Copper 1.68% Copper 1.44%
Platinum 0.13 oz./ton Platinum 0.12oz/ton
Gold 0.03 oz/ton. Gold 0.06 oz/ton
Trench No. 2 also had surface mineralization exposed in it that forms a tapering wedge which is some 80 feet long and 15 feet wide at the base of the wedge. The mineralization in certain holes had rather been concentrated with 3.2 feet of core and only low values were obtained by the necessity of including, in the composite sample, scattered mineraztion, which assay well in gold alone, in two place valued at $8.40 to $16.80 per ton. It was also at this time when Hole No. 6 had intersected with 7 ½ feet in length of mineralized diorite that was sampled with fairly good mineralization in the silicified breccias, separated by 10 feet of barren breccias. This whole section that was taken out from diamond drilling had given 32.2 feet of core length that assayed 0.78% Ni, 0.75% Cu, 0.06 ozs./Ton Pt, and 0.01 ozs./Ton in Au. It was also within all holes that the core which was taken would be fire assayed first for gold, and would also be resampled later in order to obtain accurate assays of the four metals taken, with composite samples that were made up from aliquot parts of each sample within the given zone.
There was also no attempt made towards channel sampling the area on the surface of this zone that was made since the surface oxidation would preclude the possibility of the representative sample. However, some grab samples were taken from the better looking material which gave values in nickel up to 1.40%, Copper 4.88%, Platinum 0.05 ozs./Ton, and 0.45 ozs Au per ton. Only a very minor amount of test pitting was also completed on the No. 3 trench located in historical claim S-42676, starting at about 100 feet southeast along the strike from the No. 2 Trench. Here the geology is entirely different as a number of barren quartz ladder veins out transversely across a highly carbonatized rock which lies between two horizons of limestone. A total of two diamond drill holes were put down under this trench and though one of them out nearly 30 feet of quartz carbonate, presumably a vein paralleling the hole with nothing of economical interest was found. Most areas that contain mineralized diorite are rather considered to be lacking an almost complete lack of quartz and carbonate. Its also on surface that this area rather consists of a small amount of old rock work and stripping in claim S-39838. An undulating contact is rather known to also strike west-northwesterly between the limestone on the northeast and highly silicified breccia on the southwest. Within the limestone and also near this contact, a very irregular strike vein of quartz is exposed for about 50 feet, with a maximum width of about 5 to 6 feet. Further off from the southeast end of two trenches, the showing of mineralization is either terminated or pinches to insignificant width. Its also on surface that the vein is rather opened to the northwest part of the property from where its observed. This also provides a large number of straight, parallel stringers which branch off the main vein in the southeasterly direction giving a half feathered pattern on the quartz. One of these is generally considered to be a little wider than the east, and apparently the trenching follows this, rather than the main leader vein. Some sections of this area are also considered to be associated with lenses of heavy galena sphalerite mineralization with minor amounts of pyrite and chalcopyrite are distributed within the quartz, and breccia, which is fairly well mineralized with finely disseminated pyrite with occasionally a little coarse pyrite, and arsenopyrite. The quantity of the galena and sphalerite present in the lenses is intriguing but not to the degree that mining of lead and zinc might be considered. Some of the grab sampling done had also yield as much as $8.05 worth of gold per ton with minor amount of silver as a substitute that was explored in hope of making this area economically worthy of mining.
A total of four diamond drill holes that were put down under the No. 2 Trench had met with discouraging results. Although it was however, reported that the quantity of quartz vein matter intersected corresponding with that on the surface, which the galena sphalerite mineralization was found in only two short sections. In hole No. 10 2.7 feet of quartz with galena, sphalerite, chalcopyrite, and pyrite assayed $3.50 in gold, and $2.30 ozs, in silver. Hole No. 11 cut 10 inches of quartz with other stringers containing a little arsenopyrite, chalcopyrite, galena, and pyrrhotite which assayed $5.25 in gold over 2.0 feet. Casual Channel sampling in this vein had also given off the following assay in gold:
Trace 8.0 ft
$0.70 8.0 ft
Trace 6.0 ft
$9.80 6.0 ft
Trace 5.0 ft
$1.40 6.0 ft
By going through this information and the information of the assays it quite evident that the greatest interest on this property lies within the No. 1 Zone, where two lenses of copper-nickel-platinum-gold mineralization are found. The surface exposure of these two lenses has a combined area which indicates roughly 100 tons per vertical foot. Of the six drill hole intended to intersect this one as nearly as possible at right angles to the strike, and dip, the four cut through mineralization of ore grade and width. Assays which were taken from this diamond drilling program had rather indicated encouraging results. Other exploratory work which was completed by Jonsmith Mines, Ltd., would include a magnetometer survey that rather pin pointed low to medium magnetic conductors which were possibly caused from iron. Almost all of this work that was undertaken by the company was officially completed by the end of 1947, and minor amount of grab sampling was done till about 1951.
Hole No. 1 had a mineralized core length of nearly 21.4 feet that assayed 1.76% Ni, 1,68% Cu, 0.13 ozs./Ton Pt, and 0.03 ozs. Ton Au.
Hole No. 2 had a mineralized core length of nearly 24.2 feet that assayed 1.42% Ni, 1.44% Cu, 0.12 ozs./Ton Pt, and 0.06 ozs./Ton Au.
Hole No. 6 had a mineralized core length of nearly 32.2 feet that assayed 0.78% Ni, 0.75% Cu, 0.06 Oz/Ton Pt, and 0.01 oz/Ton Au.
The Milnet Property would late be taken over by Milnet Mines, Ltd., under leasing agreements in 1952. This agreement at the time had additionally allowed the company to work with ground that was 1,000 by 500 feet, and had allowed them to develop it down to a depth 500 feet. Development work which was carried out had additionally been done on ground that had surrounded the two ore-bodies outlined by diamond drilling. At this point in time, Milnet Mines, was incorporated on November, 1951, with an authorized capitalization of 40,000 shares of no par value, all of which were issued. It was also at this time when the company was under its own direction by Dr. F. R. Burton as President, John Drybrough as Vice President, E. E Richie as Secretary Treasurer, A.W Burt, C. C. Calvin, and E. C. MacLeod as directors of the Milnet Mines, Ltd.
Milnet Mines, Ltd., had additionally prepared this site for development within the operating year of 1952. Almost all of this development work had been focus on the leased ground and to further understand the orebody within the quartz diorite rock. Property which was least to the Milnet Mines had included Lot 2, Concession V, of Parkin Township within the District of Sudbury. As predevelopment stages were progressing it was reported that much of equipment was already purchased for the operating year of 1952. Milnet Mines were nearly all set as sinking plants were being utilized for the preparation of a fairly deep shaft on the Jonsmith Ground.
Plans by the Milnet Mines were once again moving ahead as the company would sink a vertical three compartment shaft to a depth of 478 feet below the surface. As development of the shaft had moved forward this had called for the cutting and stationing of levels that was done by October, 30, 1952. Levels which were cut at this time had additionally been station as the 190-, 300, and the 465-foot horizon. All three of the shaft compartments used were also 5’0 x 6’0 feet, and compartment No. 1 which was the skip compartment was once serviced by a 2 ton automatic dumping slip. Compartment No. 2 was generally considered as the cage compartment in order to service the men and material going into the mine. Another Compartment known as No. 3 was mainly used as a manway compartment and as a power service way, with 6” compressed air, 2” water, two 3”pump discharges, two level drain lines, and the necessary power cables. Other underground stationing was also being designed for the loading pocket at the 465-foot level plus ore pass raises to the 190-foot level in order to service the broken ore. Mine water which had considerably entered the mine workings was pumped from the 465 pump station and average 100 gallons per minute. Most of this water was generally made from the top 100.00 feet of the main openings, with or no water made on the 465-foot horizon of the mine. This at the time would also result in establishing a spillway pocket which was stationed on the 428-foot level of the Milnet Mine. Lateral development which was completed at the time had included 152 feet of drifting, 209 feet of crosscutting, and 245 feet of raising was done in 1952. Diamond drilling during this time period had amounted to sixteen underground holes, totalling 1,414 feet in total length. The amount of ore that was hoisted during the year had also amounted to 1,917 tonnes.
Some of the major construction that was completed on surface had included a hoist and compressor house, a headframe and crusher house, a 600-ton ore bin, a machine shop, an office, and two residence. The main crusher which was attached to the shaft had also been used from December, 9, to December, 31, 1952. Contracts at this time had also been made with Falconbridge and their use of its massive Nickel Smelter for the treatment of ore. Contracts which were granted for treatment of the ore had additionally been commenced in mid December, in which 1,812 tonnes were shipped from the Milnet Mine Site. Some of the main equipment that became installed at this time would have also included a 1,000 cubic foot XVHE compressor unit and a used 48- by 36-inch PE-1 hoist, both which were made by Canadian Ingersoll Rand, and a used 36- by 24 inch Allis Chalmers crusher with a 24-inch belt conveyor, and a 750 kilovolt ampere transformer. Employment at this time had consisted of 7 men who were employed by R. C. Staveley the manager of Milnet Mines Ltd.
Mining operations had continued throughout the operating year of 1953, which was the second year that the Milnet Mine achieved production It was at this time when there was no changes made to the deepening of the vertical three compartment shaft as it had reached a depth of 478 feet below the surface. Other plans were also aimed at opening up a new level that was cut and stationed on the mines 465-foot horizon. Lateral development would also continue to progress as the 190-foot level had 205 feet of drifting done in accordance with 320 feet of crosscutting, and 220 feet of raising. From all lateral work done on the 190-foot level this had additionally expanded it by 299 feet of drifting, 437 feet of crosscutting, and 220 feet of raising. As development continued this would also bring the 300-foot level to further extending as 63 feet of drifting, 409 feet of crosscutting, and 57 feet of raising was done. It was also from all of this development work that drifting amount to 121 feet, while 495 feet of crosscutting, and 179 feet of raising was completed to date on the 300-foot level. Another level known as the 465-foot level was also laterally developed when 515 feet of crosscutting, and 100 feet of raising was accomplished. The Milnet Mine workings were become fairly extensive as mining progress in the opening of the new level and further extending levels on the 190- and 300-foot horizons. Diamond drilling which was also done had amounted to 57 underground holes, totalling a length of 2,383 feet. Hoisting during this time period was also achieving new records as 104,603 tonnes of ore had been taken out. It was also known as a mine without a smelter as contracts were granted between Falconbridge and Milnet Mines to conduct smelting operations at its Nickel Reduction Plant for treatment of the ore. Employment rates during the year of 1953, had amounted to nearly employing 60 men under the supervision of C. E. Bowker who was the mine manager.
Milnet Mines would continue it lease of a section of the Jonsmith Property that was located on Lot 5, concession II, in Parkin Township, District of Sudbury. Mining operations were additionally carried out by the company from October, 1952, to July, 18, 1954, when the lease was terminated. The main cause for terminating this lease was mainly because the company did not want to finically lease out more ground and its main area/footage was reported to have been mined out. With this becoming an issue it was deemed that the property would be reverted back to the present owners who were Jonsmith Mines, Ltd., which had also acquired a mining plant. It was during the company’s period of development when it had additionally sunken a vertical tree compartment shaft to a depth of 478 feet below the surface. Other plans resulted in cutting and stationing of mining levels that were being establish at depths of 190, 300, and 465 feet below the surface. No changes were additionally done to the 190-foot level as minor amount of lateral development was completed on the 300, and 465-foot level of the Milnet Mine Project. A total of ten diamond drill holes were collared at this time, totalling 636 feet in length from underground. Milnet Mines, Ltd., would also mine 52,352 tonnes of ore during its operating year in 1954, all of which was shipped to the Falcobridge Nickel Reduction Plant for treatment. Before the closure was officially made it was also reported that 21 men were employed at this site under the supervision of C. E. Bowker who was the mine manager for the Milnet Mine.
In 1955, the Milnet Mine was taken over by the previous owners after the lease was dropped by Milnet Mines, Ltd., in 1954. It was from this time period when Jonsmith Mines, Ltd., had taken over the Milnet Mine Property with an authorized capitalization of nearly 3,500,000 shares of no par value, in which 2,667,457 shares were issued. It was at this time when the company had owned a total of 29 claims in Lot 5, Concession II in Parkin Township, Sudbury District. Other claim stakes were also made in regards to the optioning of 19 claims adjacent to the old Whistle Mine in Norman Township, District of Sudbury.
No additional changes at this time were done towards the No. 1 Shaft operation which was a vertical three compartment shaft reaching a depth of 478 feet below the surface. Extensive drifting and cross cutting was mainly achieved on the Mines 300-foot horizon that included 1,676 feet of drifting, 486 feet of crosscutting, and 196 feet of raising. Other levels that were developed by minimal lateral development had included the 190- foot level that was extended by 299 feet of drifting, 432 feet of crosscutting, and 220 feet of raising. Another level that was stationed on the 465 foot horizon was also developed by minimal lateral development that included 742 feet of drifting, 2,286 feet of cross crosscutting, and 559 feet of raising that was completed. Diamond drilling at this time had rather amounted to 74 surface holes, totalling 36,725 feet, and 103 underground diamond drill holes, totalling 38,581 feet in length. Employment at this time was additionally known for consisting of 19 men that had been employed by E. J. Gauvreau who was the mine manager at the time.
The No. 1 Ore-body which was mined by Milnet Mines Ltd., had generally extended from the surface to 350 feet below the surface. This surface outcrop was also measured at 60 feet in length with the longest stoping length being 240 feet, and the average stoping length being 120 feet. It was also revealed that the surface outcrop of the No. 2 Ore-body was 50 feet in length with an average stoping length of 55 feet. This vein structure had rather persisted below the 465-foot horizon, while stoping was completed from the 400-foot horizon to the surface. It was also stated that below this section the ground was far more lower in grade that average around 1.00% Ni and 1.00% Cu. Total production which was achieved by Milnet Mines, Ltd., had amounted to 157,755.70 tonnes of nickel-copper-and precious metal ore. Upon assaying of this ore it was reported that the assay results gave off 1.49% Ni, 1.54% Cu, 0.027 oz. Au, 0.066 oz. Pt, 0.087 oz. Pd, and a combined iridium, rhodium, and ruthenium of 0.0032 oz to the tonne. The mine it self is commonly known for producing higher ends of Nickel-Copper ore compare to precious metals Overall n recoveries which came from the mine had been treated in order to recover 4,711,119.0 lbs. of Ni, 4,846,847.0 lbs. of Cu, 3,834.5 oz Au, 9,299.6 oz Pt, 12,234.4 oz. Pd, and 457.7 oz. Ru.
t was on July 19, 1954, when Jonsmith Mines Ltd., would additionally purchase the surface and underground plant with equipment from Milnet Mines. It was also on the same date when Jonsmith Mines had once again resumed lateral development work to the Northeast on the 300-foot level and to the southwest on the 465-foot level. Work during this time period was mainly being focus on the much favourable diorite areas and to further explore these sections. Statements from reports indicate that Jonsmith Mines had additionally carried out diamond drilling to probe the area at 50-foot intervals for the full width. It was also during this time period when Jonsmith Mines had additionally completed a surface geological magnetic, electromagnetic, and geochemical survey. The completion of these surveys had resulted in follow up diamond drilling that was started on the Burton Showing. Some more favorable areas were also to be diamond drilled upon the completion of drilling that was done on the Burton Showing. Estimations were also made in 1954, in regards to throughly prospecting favorable diorite along its strike length and to 1,000 feet plus in depth which would require $850,850.00. Jonsmith Mines would shortly after run into some other problems when the company did not have the proper funding to do this kind of work for the time being. The company would later decide to take its financial struggles for monetary assistance that was done with the Materials Division of Emergency Procurement Services in Washington D.C, United States. It was later determined after a discussion with the officials from this division that a more comprehensive report was needed, and to also break the above exploration and development program into projects. This entire break down would include deepening the shaft to the 1,000-foot horizon, which would also be aimed at cutting three levels at 175 foot intervals each. Lateral development with a minimum of 2,000 feet would also have to be completed by drifting on the most favourable diorite areas within the mine, and including the new levels cut after sinking the shaft. This would also be followed by completing diamond drilling on the newly stationed levels that would potentially be located on the 640, 815, and 990-foot horizons. By doing this type of lateral development work it would additionally cost the company a total of $133,350.00 in order to complete the mandatory development work on the Milnet Mine .
Ore grades within the Milnet Mine ore zones were quite erratic which also allowed for an estimation to be made on the No. 1 and No. 2 ore-bodies. The first calculation was mark as proven ore reserves within the old workings from No. 1 Orebody that contained 158,097 tonnes of copper-nickel ore that grade in excess of 2.89% Cu, 1.58% Ni, and 0.120 oz. Pt per ton. The whole entire calculation made had rather indicated a metal recovery of 316,331 lbs. Of copper, 218,685.9 lbs. Nickel, and 17,476 oz. of Pt. On the other hand the No. 2 orebody was fairly smaller which contained 34,800 tonnes of copper-nickel ore at an average grade of 1.32% Cu, 1.27% Ni, and 0.120 oz. Pt per ton. With this indication it had also given a total metal recovery of 45,686.5 lbs. of Copper, and 43,780.7 lbs. Ni.
(Falconbridge Nickel1953) It’s the foremost northern half of the claim which consists of massive greenstone, interbedded with a pure white quartzite. This is rather not possible to determine the dip or strike of the individual beds or flows of the greenstone, due to the scattered nature of the outcrops. Evidence of the quartzite mass, which is commonly very pure and contains fine pyrite cubes, that occurs as a ridge trending N. 30 degrees E across the claimed area. Its also the southern claims, that there is also one outcrop on the side of a high ridge, which also consists of a very basic looking rock, cut by a granite dyke. This basic type of rock may be of the greenstone, or may be a basic rim that surrounds the Algoma Granite, with the contact of which should pass through claims. However, more problems were encountered as this was not detected owing to the thick swamp, drift cover, and timber that place minimal means of accessing ground. Almost all the rock on this property are known to show a high degree of silicification, this being probably a consequence of the granite intrusion, and also displays a consistent, but very weak scattering or pyrite throughout. The Northbridge area was also described to have no extent of shearing or norite that’s found within the claims, and the mineralization, apart from the pyrite is absent.
In 1953, Falconbridge Nickel Mines, had conducted a Magnetometer and Electrometer Survey on the Northbridge Claims. The Magnetometer Survey consisted of approximately 68,000 ft. of line that ran through this area taking readings at 50 ft. intervals on lines 400 ft. apart with additional lines 100 ft. apart over areas of that hold most interest. With the main instrument used that was carried out by a Davidson Super Dip Magnetometer, with a sensitivity of 30 gammas scale division in the normal range. Several small magnetic anomalies were located on the claims which would under go further surveying by the means of using a Electrometer Survey. Most of the objective in this type of work was conducted with a transmitter that was set up at the points marked for exploratory work of anomalous targets. These anomalies were generally considered to have been caused from rich iron formations within the greenstones rather than sulphides.
It was in 1978, when IKE Burns Exploration Corp had flown an airborne magnetometer survey over the south central part of Parkin Township. The main objective towards this survey was aimed at outlining pyrrhotite sulphide in and around the area of the former Jonsmith Mines. Other reasons were also aimed at aiding geological work as well as general prospecting around the former Milnet Mine Site. Statements made by IKE Burns had also reported heavy swamp and overburden south of the Jonsmith Mine which had made surface prospecting difficult. Surveying within the general area had also consisted of flight lines that were taken south to north and north to south. This system was mainly used in order to cross the general east-west strike of the rock in the area being prospected. Flight lines were also generally spaced at 330 feet in order to try and correlate the known readings over the Jonsmith Mine with others obtained. Sensor altitude was also 250 feet in which a total of 50 miles was flown over the claims staked. Main objectives in conducting this survey were mainly aimed at defining pyrrhotite sulphide occurrence known in this area from previous exploration work. Several check passes over the past producing Milnet Mine, indicate an increase of 300 to 600 gammas. These are quite similar increases that were also noted on lines 8, South Lake Section of the Surveyed area, or on claim #483795, patented claim 5029, patented claim 5409, 483794, 481957, and 481956.
Work in 2004, was conducted by Wallbridge Mining as metallurgical testing and scoping study had been place on the Parkin Nickel-Copper-PGE mineralization. The work which was performed by Wallbridge Mining was done in preparation for a future production decision.
By 2009, Wallbridge Mining had came to joint venture agreements with Impala Platinum Holdings Limited. Work which was done by these two companies under joint venture agrements had consisted of 8,000 m of diamond drilling program in September on Wallbridge’s Parkin Offset Dike Properties. Predictions for this work were also made and scheduled to be completed by March 2009. Drilling was mainly being aimed at testing the down plunge extensions of both the past producing Milnet Mine, and the mineralization previously defined by Wallbridge on its Parkin Property.
Between 2008 and 2012, Wallbridge would go onto completing drilling on the Parkin Properties through the earlier joint venture funded largely by Impala Platinum. That work which had been done would also include drilling in 2008 and 2009 in the current target area which yielded significant mineralization to date. Drilling that was done from 2010 to 2012 was more directed towards the further north with a much deeper drilling beneath the Milnet Mine after the discovery in 2009 of the very high-grade Milnet 1500 Zone which remains open.
It was in 2012, when Wallbridge Continue it progressive exploration program on the Milnet Ni-Cu-PGE-Au Mine and area. This at the time would only result in expanding the area during an ongoing 5,000 m diamond drilling borehole geophysics program that was contracted. It was also at this time when Wallbridge Mining had continued its joint venture Parkin Projects with Impala Platinum. As exploration work had continued it was mainly being confined to the Parkin Offset Dike, which is a 9.4 km-area on the northeast margin of the Sudbury Basin. The unexplored area is rather known for hosting platinum, palladium, nickel, copper, and gold mineralization that quite similar to Vale’s Copper Cliff North and South Mine, and It’s Totten Mine Development. Drilling beneath the Milnet Mine in 2009, had achieved new zones being located that became referred as the Milnet 1500 Zone intersecting 14.24 m containing 0.78% Ni, 2.57% Cu, 1.50 g/t Pt, 2.52 g/t Pd and 3.99 g/t Au from 1,499 to 1,513.90 m down hole. More recent drilling that was undertaken had also intersect 4.11% Ni, 0.60% Cu, 1.40 g/t Pt, 2.68 g/t Pd, and 0.23 g/t Au from 1473.00 to 1481.00 m down hole.
Drilling which was conducted by Wallbridge in 2015, and early 2016, on the Parkin Properties had significantly expanded the extent of near surface mineralization. This was also mainly being done around the historic resource and aimed at identifying several area with significantly thicker mineralization than previously intersected. Other plans were made by Wallbridge Mining as in February, 2015, it would secure an option to re-purchase Impala Platinum Holdings Limited’s 49.6% interest in the Parkin Properties from an earlier joint venture at substantial discount to Impala’s 7.2 million prior expenditure. By doing this Wallbridge had attracted the current venture funding from Lomin in the fall of 2015, following the successful results of four drill holes, mechanical stripping, and channel sampling completed earlier in 2015.
On March 1, 2016, Wallbridge would go onto announcing positive results from thirteen drill holes that would also significantly expand the near surface mineralization below and adjacent to the historic resource at Parkin. Nine of the holes that were drilled had also intersected significant Ni-Cu-PGE mineralization with six of the holes intersecting semi-massive sulphides. It was also on April 4, 2016, when Wallbridge Mining had announced more positive results from drilling, including drill hole WMP-170 which intersected significantly thicker mineralization than was previously modelled including 24.25 m of 1.22% Ni, 1.50% Cu, 0.81 g/t Pt, 0.96 g/t Pd, and 0.38 g/t gold at very shallow depths from 35.60 to 59.85 m down hole. These indications would also expand the higher grade portions of the historic resource and demonstrates the potential for significant near surface tonnage. Another statement in regards to the Parkin Property was made on May 10, 2016, which indicated further positive results from drilling, including drill hole WMP-195, that indicated a new very shallow zone outside of the historic resource with 7.46 m of 1.36% Ni, 1.02% Cu, and 1.59 g/t TPM including 0.67 g/t Pl, 0.74 g/t Pd, and 0.18 g/t Au from 58.60 to 66.06 m down hole.
Statements on the geology part of the claim block had rather stated that the characteristics of these dikes of quartz-diorite are known to extend into the foot-wall rock of the Sudbury Basin. These also include very similar geological appearance like the Parkin Dike structurally and mineralogically. Some of the similar formative dikes can include projects like the Foy, Copper Cliff, and Worthington Offsets, which are known to be hosts to rich Cu-Ni ore occurrences, and have supported producing mines.
The Northbridge Group of claims rather cover the indicated strike of the Parkin Offset for nearly a length of approximately a mile. Its also at about one-half of this strike length that has been tested geophysically with encouraging results, and the remain is considered to be virtually unexplored. When development was first started at the Milnet Mine Site it was reported that the Northbridge Prospect was in the same proximity to the quartz diorite dike being worked. Some of these indications had made Northbridge Mines Believe that its own prospect under joint venture with Falconbridge was of successful exploration. Most of the area which surrounds the Crownbridge Prospect is also believed to be underlain by the Parkin Offset Dike. Some evidence was mainly taken from a trenched area containing rich mineralization that was explored for nearly 1,100 feet in strike length. Its also commonly observed that the foremost quart-diorite dikes are considered to extend into the footwall rocks of the Sudbury Basin. For the most part, its also the Parkin Quartz Diorite Offset Dike that generally trends across the center of the property at 0.33 degrees. The dike is also considered to be continuous across the property, and has its own width of nearly 45 to 135 m. Dips which are associated with this area are generally subvertical to steep to either the southeast or northwest. Some of the main rock types which are distributed with the mineralized grounds are known for containing both massive quartz diorite as well as inclusion quartz diorite.
Mineralization is also commonly considered to range from massive sulphide Cu/Ni mineralization consisting of massive to patchy pyrrhotite, and pyrite with minor chalcopyrite blebs, disseminations and fracture fillings, to disseminated Cu/PGE mineralization consisting of small lenses of massive chalcopyrite, and fine stockworks of chalcopyrite in siliceous fragments.
Milnet Mine Geology
The Jonsmith Mines, Limited., property is located in Parkin Township which is approximately four miles north of the northeast corner of the Sudbury Basin. Work which was completed had taken place on a mineralized quartz diorite dyke, which is known as the Norman-Parkin Offset that intrudes the property for more than a mile, and it’s along this dyke that ore deposits have been discovered. This Dyke rather provides similar geological and mineralogical features to several others which radiate outwar from the rim of the Sudbury Basin, and are mainly the host rocks for several producing mines. Some examples of these mines are the typical Nickel Offset on the north side of the Basin, the Copper Cliff No. 1 and No. 2, and the Evans Mines Offset. The Frood mine generally also occur along a quartz diorite dyke which is parallel to the rim of the Sudbury Basin. The Whistle Mine, which is two miles south of Jonsmith Mines is also considered a deposit along the Norman Parkin Offset and was formerly a producer of Nickel-Copper ores. The mine which once belong to another company is not formerly under the Ownership of Vale which was once known to be apart of properties owned by the International Nickel Company.
The Norman-Parkin Offset on the historical Jonsmith Mines property is rather distributed as a quartz diorite dyke from forty feet to nearly five hundred feet in width, and strikes in a northeasterly direction for about 4,000 feet where it bends to the northwest. Its also along this northwest limb that the two ore-bodies were discovered and had been developed by minimal amount of lateral development. At present times it was concluded that the surface survey taken had only extended a few hundred feet northwest of the main mine workings. Its also believe that there is a suggestion that the main dyke resumes its original course and continues for three claims to the northern boundary of the company’s property. As in other mines within the Sudbury area the ore rather occurs in breccia zones which are the result of either faulting or folding in the area. Breccia zones which are typically found on the Jonsmith Mines Property are caused by northwest trending faults which shattered the quartz diorite host rock sufficiently to provide a much favourable receptacles for nickel bearing sulphides. The breccia is also generally found in the Burton Showing near the south boundary of the property where diamond drilling has revealed a narrow but high-grade nickel-copper zone by Jonsmith Mines, and further deeper drilling was done on this showing. Much of the area that’s located north of the shaft also requires a complete investigation to determine whether the northwest trending faults intersect the intrusive along the assumed northerly extension and produce favourable breccia zones. One of the deepest levels of the mine which is the 465-foot horizon has a geological pattern that’s quite similar to that found on surface, and its highly probable that this will continue with depth. Other possibilities of locating a new ore-body is considered to also be quite favourable below the 465-foot horizon that was left unexplored. From a much geological point of view it was deemed that the length of the dyke is prolific for prospecting ground for nickel-copper deposits. At present time since the mine was shut down in 1956, a length of 5,200 feet has also been mapped and there are further indications that its continues for another 5,000 feet to the north boundary of the property. Its also along the mapped portion of the area that the dyke has several undetermined anomalous zones that were indicated by a magnetic survey, and theses corresponded to an area which was outlined by a geochemical survey. These anomalies are probably caused by significant indications of sulphide zones which could be untested and had also warrant detailed investigation.
Sulphide bodies generally occur within a quartz diorite dyke which had been traced southward across the property, and the adjacent Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited property towards the Sudbury Irruptive. This foremost dyke is rather commonly referred as the Parkin offset of the Sudbury irruptive. However, there is a considerable gap between the southern extremity of the Parkin Offset on Falconbridge ground, and the outer boundary of the Sudbury Irruptive. There has also been no current information available as to the possible extension of the Parkin Offset through this gap which may be faulted off or overlain by country rock. The Ni-Cu-PGE mineralization on the Wallbridge Parkin Properties is also considered to be typical of that which is hosted by quartz diorite offset dykes in the Sudbury Mining Camp.
The Huronian Rocks in the vicinity of the mine have also been greatly deformed and have been folded to an overturned position. In some cases formations of conglomerate and limestone dip at about 80 degrees to the southwest. Its also on the surface near the mine, that the quartzite beds near the base of the Huronian face northeast. Data from drilling below the 465-foot level indicates a fault which had displaced a conglomerate marker horizon by about 400 feet. Breccias are also developed in the vicinity of the faults and locally around the contacts between intrusions and older rocks.
Sulphide mineralization is quite similar to that of the Sudbury Mining Camp, and consists of massive to disseminated pyrrhotite, pyrite, and chalcopyrite. In some cases Pink Nickeloan Pyrite has also been reported from the Jonsmith Mines, Ltd. A total of two sulphide ore-bodies were found in the quartz diorite dike, in which these had been mined in accordance to leasing, and not necessarily because of them being mined out. No. 1 Ore-Body is located at about 200 feet northwest of the No. 2 Ore-body. The No. 1 Ore-body rather occurs in a much brecciated and shattered zone in both the quartz diorite, and the adjoining sedimentary rocks. It also extends from the surface to a depth of 350 feet as indicated by historical diamond drilling done in the 1950’s, and has now been traced down to nearly 1,500 m below the surface by Wallbridge Mining.