Besides Nickel, the Sudbury area of Northern Ontario had also other discoveries of many copper resources that became uncovered within 1901. One of these furious operations to come into production was known as the legendary Massey Copper Mine. In addition a Lode discovery was made on the southwest quarter of Section 14, in the Township of Salter. Two prospectors who started to examine this claim further would end up discovering that the Copper Vein had also traveled into the Township of Algoma. In general this whole entire claim had a huge amount of acreage which had comprised of 800 acres of continuous explorations. By 1901, two prospectors who became identified as Mr. R. M. Thompson of New York, and Major Robert G. Leckie of Sudbury became the main claim stakers. Much of this copper property at the time was going through several exploratory phase before a shaft was to be construct. These two prospectors would also commence shaft sinking phase on a promising vein that was located on the Southeast quarter of Section 14, in Salter and Algoma Townships. Nevertheless the first shaft to become rapidly developed during that year had went down to a scorching depth of 80 feet below the ground levels. A cross section also became apart of this whole engineering phase as it was about to be used as a Man-way and as a hoisting compartment. to transport the ore from all underground levels. During this time much of the hoisting was being conducted by a Horse Whim that operated a bucket on a skidway. Some other development included a small serious of temporary structures that became identified as a whim shed and a blacksmith shop. In geological terms the orebody was rather considered to be so extensive that test pitting method had traced the ore to continue for at least one mile. Further examinations from the laboratory had also reported that the mine contain 3 1/2 to 6 percent copper with little gold showings.
1902 - Massey Station Mining Company incorporated by the two prospectors
In 1902, the two prospectors decided to incorporated their own company into the Massey Station Mining Company Limited. and would also end up calling the Mine the Massey Station Mine. Much of this name came from the nearby settlement of Massey that wasn't located to far from the actual mine. Almost all development that year was aimed towards expanding the No. 1 shaft that was now reaching 255 feet. All production during this time period was being opened up by the first mine level that was developed on the mines 74 foot section. A drift section known as the West Drift was further opening up this level with 100 feet of drifting. These drifts all connect with the main Massey Station Mine shaft that soon created a massive pillar section which was 6 feet wide, and had ran north for a distance of 46 feet before it connected with another set of drift. These drift section all had different extensions like for example, the first drift was developed to about 65, and had ran west, while the second drift was drilled and blasted to the east for a distance of 25 feet.
Company officials of the Massey Station Mining Company Limited. had also opened up the mine with a second level that was found at the mines 150 foot section. This level was rather opened up by another west drift that became constructed to about 120 feet. As development continued on this section for a distance of 100 feet, the company also go into the method of creating crosscut sections. The first crosscut was driven for a distance of 20 feet to the north, and another 15 feet to the south. Eventually a passage way was soon formed around the main company shaft within this section. Further drilling and blasting procedures had soon started to form the third mining level that was being opened up on the mines 230 foot section Development to open the third level of the Massey Station Mine was first started by a west drift that traveled for a distance of 10 feet before it was continued by the east drift for another 14 feet.
A small scale tunnel was also being driven by the company during 1902, when it was reported to have been constructed on section 16, of Salter Township. This whole entire development was also considered to have commence about a mile west of the main mine workings. In general the Tunnel was rather being driven within a bluff section that went on for a distance of 120 feet and was measured to be 6 by 7 feet in size. Much of this whole entire development was being aimed towards following the ore body of the main mine showings. Soon enough this major development encountered the vein that was examined by a massive test pitting procedure to further expand this project.
Even the Massey Station Mining Company Limited had contracted a spur line to be built from Massey Station to the mine site in 1903. This whole engineering project was also rather known to be a big investment as the railway would be 3 miles long. In addition the Spur Line from Massey to the mine was rather developing fast as it was now reaching 1 mile of graded ground, and the main ties we're also being installed with the secureness of rails for at least 2 mile
All development during the time period was rather being confined to the main shaft workings and further deepening it. These shaft sinking phase soon made the Massey Station Mine shaft go to a depth of 330 feet below ground levels. Almost all construction on the first level was rather considered to have been at the same distance of 100 feet. However another 10 feet of drifting was being performed on the second mine level which made it expand to 130 feet within the hard rock. Another section known as the East drift was rather left unchanged during this expansion. Company officials of the Massey Station Mining Company Limited would also increase drifting methods on its third level. A total of 16 feet was constructed during this phase that went in both directions on this this level., and a station was now being officially cut during this expansion phase. As the mine slowly started to become deeper the company would eventually develop the fourth level on the mines 290 foot section. Further development within this level was opened up by a drifting procedure that traveled for a distance of 80 feet, and continued on for another 60 feet. These drifts alone we're being expanded as a lot of high-grade ore was coming from this area. Engineering plans on the shaft had also been reported to have additionally been planned to reach the 600 foot section of this copper project.
1903 - Massey Station Mining Company
In 1903, the mine was rather being rapidly expanded and the main hoisting procedure was still being conducted by the skip method. Company officials would also install a square set of dividers on all four mining levels, while placing wall plates with a double track that had back runners. An underground spur line system was also being constructed to transport all the ore to the skip by ore cars. The Massey Station Mining Company Limited would also start on developing the much need structures to run this operation. In general the only building to be place under construction during this time period was the company's Rock House that was able to store 150 tons of ore on a daily basis. Another installation was soon underway when the company had bought a brand new Lidgerwood Hoist which was capable of handling 3 tons a per a load. In addition a 60 horsepower locomotive also became apart of this installation process during that year. A total of 30 employees became employed by the Massey Station Mining Company Limited that very same year.
1904- Massey Station Mining Company
During 1904, the main Canadian Pacific Railway spur line was officially graded but railway ties wouldn't be place until the spring season arrived. With rapid and steady progression the Massey Station Mine shaft was now reaching a depth of 550 feet within this year. Production was reported to have taken place on the first, second, and third levels but no changes to the drifts had been establish. All development during that year was mainly being confined to the four level when the east drift had now reached 133 feet, while the west drift was now driven to about 225 feet. In addition the company had also added a crosscut section towards the East Drift that became drilled and blasted to about 25 feet.
1905- Massey Station Mining Company
When the shaft started to expand rapidly the company who owned this operation would develop the fifth level on the mines 365 foot section. This newly designed level would also be opened up by a station chamber and expanded further with 12 feet of drifting to the east and the west. This whole entire expansion had also sent the company on another construction phase that was aimed towards developing the sixth mine level at 450 feet. A chamber was also cut like the previous level and a small amount of drifting soon occurred. The final level to become developed during the year of 1903, had included the seventh level at 450 feet. Company officials had only cut a small chamber as drifting did not take place at that time period. Most of this was caused because the company was rather working on the newly constructed fifth and sixth levels. Development and production within 1903 was confined to the fourth level as the Massey Station Mining Company Limited had wanted to expand the drifts so that an upraise could be made to the surface. Once the upraise becomes completed another outlet will be engineered to provide better ventilation for the mine site before stoping can take place. It was rather considered as an impressive engineering plan as an Auxiliary exit would be also construct during this phase of the project.
1906 - Massey Station Mining Company
An upgrade was eventually also taking place on the company's rock house when new equipment was being installed. All of this was reported to have taken place when the mine was rather being developed rapidly and had included two hoisting engines, the old one and the Lidgerwood Link- Motion Single drum hoist with a capacity of 20 Horsepower. When the mine started to become extremely profitable the Massey Station Mining Company decided to erect a mining camp for its employees. A massive amount of dwellings soon became located not to far from the Massey Station Copper Mine. Even a newly designed Powder thawing house became apart of this development and was heated by the use of steam. Further explorations on the mine soon indicated that the Orebody at the bottom level was considered to be the same characteristics as all of the levels above. No more production or development was escalated from the mine during that time period of it being in full force. This mine soon became closed down in 1906, when the ore was slowly becoming exhausted, Another exploratory phase soon uncovered rich surface showings that would once again re-open the mine for further examinations in 1906, but no work was being done. After examining this mining operation it soon proved to be to low in high-grade ore to fully keep on mine so the this project was shortly after ceased.
1916 - staked by Stable River Copper Mining Company
Mining operations at the Massey Copper-Gold Mine had continued to operate til July, 1916. It was mainly being suspended because the company wanted to re-organize it self in order to provide funds for the development of the mine. It was at this time when the No. 1 shaft was being baled out to the mines fourth level, and a small amount of ore was stoped out for the mill. Further installations to the mill had included a Callow Oil Flotation unit, and test runs were being made for several months in sucessfully concentrating the ore. Plans for the re-organization were stated to have changethe company's name into a whole new company called Kenyon Copper Mines, Limited. The newly incorporated company was fiancially ready when it had it's own capitalization of $1,400,000. No other development had taken place by this company after re-organizing it self into the Kenyon Copper Mines, LImited.
1968 - Staked by Hermina Copper, Limited
It was at this time period when the Hermina Copper, Limited had restaked two claim blocks, which surrounds the Masey Station Mine. One of these blocks is known to included the historical Hermina Copper Mine that comprised of eight claims. Another portion of 10 claims is known to included the Gutcher Raycraft Claim, where an adit was driven by the previous operators. Further development had also continued on this section when the adit became further extended to 90 feet, and 30 feet of raising became driven by the former company. A small amouint of ore that totalled 2,551 tonnes became removed, and 2,157 tonnes of ore was shipped to the Pronto Mill of Rio Algom Mines, Limied. Structural development within this time period had consisted of a tool shed, and a wood trestle with an ore-bin.
Stripping is said to have shown the vein to extend for a mile; but only one of the other workings appears to have been of much importance. Half a mile.west of the main shaft and 230 paces west of the line between sections 15 and 16, some stripping was done about 200 paces north of the road to Hermina mine. The rocks exposed on successive east and 'west ridges are alternating slate and quartzite with a nearly verti cal dip. The stripping, which is extensive, shows from 4 to 6 feet of ore, containing small quantities of chalcopyrite. Two hundred or 300 paces north, after an interruption of drift, the east and west range of granite hills rise much as was described near the main shaft.