Ownership: Sudbury Platinum and Transition Metals
Mine or Prospect Status: Abandoned Mine under Exploration
Type of workings: Underground and Surface workings
Township Location: Denison Township
Closest City or Town: Sudbury, Ontario
Province and Country Ontario, Canada
Latitude: 46° 23' 51.34"
Longitude: 81° 25' 36.92"
District location: Sudbury District
Subprovince: Huronian Supergroup
Belt: Sudbury Igneous Complex
Tectonic Assemblage: Worthington Offset
Formation type: Mafic Intrusive,
Chemical Compositions: Quartz- Diorite, Brecciated, Norite, Metapelite
Production: 361,725 tonnes of ore milled.
Common names: MacDonald Open Pit, AER Mine, Robinson Mine, Kidd Copper
Lot, Concession, Lot. 12, Concession 3, Sudbury District
Deposit Status: Producing Mine
Primary Commodities: Copper-Nickel
Secondary Commodities: Gold, Cobalt, Platinum, Platinum Group Elements, Silver
Geological Events: Meteorite Impact Zone
Start Date: 1936
Close Date: 1939
Re-Open Date: 1956-1958-1966-1969
Total Diamond Drilling: 87,870.69 feet in length
Geological Age: Paleoproterozoic
Daniel O'Connor was commonly known as a prospector who had gained his interests in politics and became Sudbury's second mayor in 1894. Before this had happened he discovered a rich mineralization containing copper-nickel and PGE on what would become the AER-Kidd Nickel Project in 1891. It was also at this time when test pits were sunk on the ground before he had obtained a grant on the May, 1st, 1891. Most of the work was concentrated on an outcrop of ore that was discovered on the southeast part of Lot. 12, Concession, 3 of Denison Township. This development work had nearly costed between $500 to $600 to complete, and was situated 1 1/2 miles from Worthington Station, and three-quarters of a mile from the railway track. A vein was shortly opened on this section that would show 2-inches of ore at the surface, which would widen to two feet at a depth of four feet. From this development the project was also known to have found a new mineral in Canada, that became known as Gersdorffite, and had assayed 55% Nickel. Sampling at the time was on going which resulted in getting 20 European Samples analysed that gave off an average of 29.77% Ni, ranging from 19.59 to 40.97% Ni per ton. Test pits which were sunk on this vein would end up tracing it for a distance of 100 feet. The picture on the side shows an image of Dan O'Connor who was the second mayor of Sudbury, and the main developer of Temagami in 1898.
As the mine progress it was at this time when a name was officially made as it was called the MacDonald Nickel Property in 1892. Work had also been limited during this time period as a small pit was becoming developed and ore was being sent off to the smelters that were now in operation. Most of the mining was also done with a workforce of 12 men who became employed at this time period of operating the mine. It was by 1893, when the mine came to a close as the Nickel Markets had taken a tremendous down fall which resulted in the closure of several smaller nickel properties. The open-pit that was referred as the Howland Pit was actually apart of the Totten Mine and this pit was referred as the MacDonald Pit.
Denison Copper Mine, Limited. would end up taking over this property in 1928, which resulted in completing 12 diamond drill holes on the property. Results from this diamond drilling program had returned encouraging values to warrant further exploration on this site. Another change was made towards this property when a new name for this prospect was added and had now been referred as the AER Zone. A total of one mining zone had now been explored and the work was mainly commence on the AER Zone. Better results were taken on the new AER Zone, that resulted in extensive exploratory work at uncovering another zone known as the AER.. These were two zones that were being worked on Lot. 12, in the 3rd concession of Denison Township, Sudbury District, Ontario, Canada.
Further exploratory work was also being conducted throughout 1929 to 1935, when a decision was made to develop this property. Denison Copper Mine had also conducted further exploratory work that resulted in good ore grades. The company would additionally re-incorporate it self as the Denison Nickel Mines, Limited as it was about to work the Robinson and AER Zones. With this incorporation had came a total capitalization of 3,500,000 shares at $1 par value. Much of the new company was also place under direction of J. R. Rea as president, J. H. Greenberg as vice president, M. Campbell as Secretary Treasurer, H. L. Sheppard and L. B. Sheppard as directors. A company office at the time was also station at 217 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Operations at the Robinson-AER Zones was first commenced in January, 1937, which resulted in sinking a three compartment, vertical shaft, to a depth of 522 feet. Lateral development consisted of stationing and cutting levels on the mines 200, 350, and 500-foot horizons. Even extensive opening were made on each level that resulted in 468 feet of drifting, and 637 feet of crosscutting on the 200-foot level. Minor development was also progressing on the 350-foot level which resulted in 50 feet of drifting and 106 feet of crosscutting. The last level at 500-feet was also opened up by 348 feet of drifting, and 397 feet of crosscutting. Diamond drilling on the property was also carried out that resulted in completing 288 feet in two holes. Construction was also ongoing at the time which would end up constructing a plant to operate this project efficiently.
The mining plant which was built in 1937, had consisted of several machinery components to provide the much need power source of steam power. Some of these things that became added had consisted to the power plant consisted of a 437 cubic-foot Gardner-Denver Compressor driven by a 128- H.P. Caterpillar Diesel Engine, a 7 by 10-inch single drum steam hoist, a 24 H.P. Boiler, and a 27 H.P. Boiler. Some of the building which were erected at this time had included hoist compressor building, office, change house, and blacksmith shop. A total of 28 men were employed within the mine under the direction of W. Harmon and Carl. R. Bochm.
Mining operation were continued onward throughout 1938, which resulted in developing the much needed plant. Most of the work on this plant was started from January, 1st, to April, 16, and from July, 15th, to December, 24th, 1938. Even more construction was followed during 1938, that had consisted of erecting a power-house, and a power magazine. Power was also establish at this time when a transmission line was extended 6 3/4 miles, and was built to connect with the hydroelectrical plant at High-Falls.
In 1938, shaft development was also progressing when the No, 1 Shaft was sunk a further 358 feet, and had reached a depth of 880 feet below the surface. Openings were also made on the newly constructed levels that were cut and stationed on the 650, and 800-foot horizons. Lateral development was also confined to opening up the 650-foot level by 76 feet of drifting, and the 800-foot level 92 feet of drifting. Even further development had progress when the 350-foot level was extend by 351 feet of drifting, and 105 feet of crosscutting in total lateral complete. Lateral development was also confined to the 500-foot level that resulted in a total development footage of 725 feet of drifting and 397 feet of crosscutting. Diamond drilling had also commence at this time which resulted in completing 2 surface holes, totalling 328 feet, and 30 underground drill holes, totalling 2,446 feet in length.
With the new upgrades made a plant was also re-developed that resulted in installing the much needed machinery once again. This at the time had included a new 1,050 cubic-foot air compressor, that was directly connected to a 200 H.P. Canadian Westinghouse Motor, a 42 by 30-inch, double drum, Canadian Ingersoll Rand PE-1 electric hoist, driven by a 100-H.P. Canadian Westinghouse Motor. Employment within the mine had rather decreased at this time as their were 20 men employed by Carl. R. in 1938.
Other plans at the time were being made by Denison Nickel Mines, Limited, when it had decided to continue mining operations from March to August, 1939. The results of this had end up ceasing mining operations as the company was working on further exploring uranium occurrences in what became the Elliot Lake area. It was a new area that was progressing steadly as a copper-uranium area that was considered very economical. Denison Nickel Mines, had later became Denison Uranium Mines, Limited. The new discovery had also attracted a lot of attention to this area as it was just becoming explored. An investor by the name of Roman would later take the opportunity to develop this economical mine site by forming what would become Rio Algom Uranium Mines, Limited. At first these uranium occurrences were only grade 0.15% U3O8 per ton but as deeper drilling was commenced this gave of nearly over 2.00 pounds of uranium per ton after processing.
Nevertheless, the Vertical, three-compartment shaft was continued onward as it would reach a depth of 972 feet below the surface. With this came a new level that was shortly after cut and stationed on the mines 950-foot level. An opening at this time was started which resulted in completing 106 feet of drifting and crosscutting during this time period. A total of 4 underground holes, totalling a length of 437 feet were also completed before the mine was place for Acquistion and optioning. Only 8 men at this time were also employed within the Robinson Mine project under the direction of Carl. R.
During 1955, the AER Nickel Corporation, Limited. was formed under a joint venture merge that was made between Pacoloud Mines, Limited, and the Arcadia Nickel Corporation, Limited. The assests of Pacolound Mines would also increase from this merge as the capitalization had went up from 3,000,000 shares to 5,000,000 shares. Stocks at the time were also distributed as it was known that this company had issued 4,000,015 shares. The AER Nickel Corporation was also under the direction of A. E. Rosen as president, Andrew Robertson as Vice President, J. M. Anderson as Secretary Treasurer, W. L. Hogarth, Jr. assistant secretary treasurer, V. H. Smith, J. D. Smith, and A. B. Shore as directors. A purchase deal at the time was also officialised by Arcadian Nickel Corporation, Limited, and Denison Nickel Mines, Limited.
Exploratory work in 1955, resulted in finding new zones that were adjacent to the AER Zone that became known as the Robinson and Rosen Zones. These foremost zones were rather known to have been named after the companies president and vice president of the AER Nickel Corporation, Limited. Most of the work was confined to sinking the No. 2 Shaft on these newly discovered zones that were adjacent to the AER Zone. Sinking of the new shaft was mainly done on what was known as the MacDonald Zone that was discovered in 1891. The new No. 2, Vertical, three-compartment shaft was only sunk to 47 feet, as the company progressed towards dewatering the No. 1 Shaft to a depth of 972 in 1956. Lateral development was then commenced on this section of the mining project as samples were collected from the workings. Extensive development on the workings had progressed towards further developing the 350, 500, 650, 800, and 950-foot levels of the No. 1 Shaft. Lateral development at the time continued to expand the 350-foot level by 1,815 feet of drifting, 226 feet of crosscutting, and 197 feet of raising. It was also at this time when the 650-foot level was continued for a total development footage of 1,436 feet of drifting, 60 feet of crosscutting, and 169 feet of raising. As development progressed the 800-foot level was also extend to a total development footage of 401 feet of drifting, 155 feet of crosscutting, and 62 feet of raising. The last level which was opened up at this time had consisted of 123 feet of drifting, and 112 feet of crosscutting. Further diamond drilling was done that consisted of 71 underground holes, totalling, 9,425 feet, and 63 surface drill holes, totalling 29,389 feet in length. Ore that was hoisted from the underground workings had amounted to 4,363 tonnes of nickel ore that was taken. Development at the time had also progress when a new head-frame and rock bin, hoist-house, combination dry-house, and machine shop, blacksmith shop, warehouse addition, office, assay office, three bunk-houses, cook-house, six 6-room houses, and a 10-room house was completed. Employment at the time had consisted of 48 men that were employed under the direction of J. H. Douglas as the mine manager. Other work was confined to developing an exploration adit that would be driven 66 feet by a crosscut section, and 55 feet of raising was done in order to conduct sampling.
Development in 1957. was continued on sinking the No. 2 Vertical, Three-Compartment Shaft on the Robinson and Rosen Zones. Shaft sinking was extensively continued onward as the No. 2 Shaft would reach a total depth of 1,078 feet below the surface. Station cutting was also done on the 200, 350, 500, 650, 800, and 950-foot horizons. At the same time it was lateral development that would end up making connections between the No. 1 and No. 2 Shaft Operations at the AER Nickel Mine Site. Lateral development at the time was concentrated on further progressing with the main connections between the two shaft operations. Almost all levels at this time had received further development that was undertaken in order to complete this major expansion. The 200-foot level at the time had a total development footage of 804 feet of drifting, 455 feet of crosscutting, and 427 feet of raising. Development at this time had also continued onward by contributing a total development footage of 2,463 feet of drifting, 281 feet of crosscutting, and 560 feet of raising on the 350-foot level. This was also followed by completing a total development footage of 988 feet of drifting, 369 feet of crosscutting, and 519 feet of raising on the 500-foot level. As development progress the 650-foot level would end up having a total development footage of 2,250 feet of drifting, 234 feet of crosscutting, and 843 feet of raising done. Expansions were also undertaken on the 800-foot level that amounted to a total development footage of 548 feet of drifting, 167 feet of crosscutting, and 385 feet of raising The last level to be worked at the time was the 950-foot level that consisted of a total development footage of 1,824 feet of drifting, 444 feet of crosscutting, and 513 feet of raising. A diamond drilling compaign was also undertaken that consisted of 104 underground holes, totalling 13,937 feet in length. Construction at the time had also progressed onward as a 100-foot timber headframe was place at the No. 2 Shaft, and a hoist room, crusher house, concentrator building, two warehouses, and a 75,000 gallon steel water tank was added.
It was at this time when the complete mill building from the Mindamer Metals Corporation's property in Nova Scotia was bought and had been nearly all installed the AER Property. Mining operations at the time were also suspended on November, 1957, and the equipment bought had consisted of two dryers, a 4- by 20-foot cone crusher, and two 5 by 12-foot screen compressor that were the Canadian Ingersoll Rand type, and a Jaw Crusher was added. From all production the mine site had produce a total of 30,609 tonnes of nickel ore that was stockpiled at the time. Employment at the time would also amount to 76 men who were employed under the direction of J. H. Douglas.
In 1964, Kidd Copper Mines, Limited was officially incorporated and in 1966, had a total capitalization of nearly 10,000,000 shares of $1 par value, in which 2,100,009 shares were issued. The company was also under the direction of J.P. Sheridan as president and director, C. S. Espeler, M. Juby, and J. Bruce as directors, and B. M. Young as the secretary Treasurer. Mining operations at the newly formed Kidd Copper Mine had progressed from September, to December, 1966, and was leased to the company by the Arcadia Nickel Corporation, Limited. It was at this time when the No. 1 Shaft was dewatered to a depth of 972 feet, and milling was undertaken from November, to December, 31, 1966. Lateral development at the time had consisted of 32 feet of drifting, 52 feet of crosscutting, and 45 feet of raising. This at the time had also given the mine a total development footage of 8,939 feet of drifting, 2,071 feet of crosscutting, and 3,446 feet of raising. Diamond drilling that was done had resulted in completing 43 underground holes, totalling 4,437 feet in length. It wads also at this time when equipment was brought in which included a hoist, jaw crusher, a secondary cone crusher, a short head- crusher, a rod mill, two ball mills, classifiers, flotation cells, a disk filter, a standby compressor, 10 conveyors of various sizes, and ore-bins. Production that was taken from the mine had amounted to hoisting 11,732 tonnes of ore, in which 11,047 tonnes was milled at a daily average of 828 tonnes of ore per day. Employment within the mining operation resulted in 40 employees that were under the management of W. Griffin.
Development in 1967, was progressing towards establishing the 200, 500, and 800-foot levels at depths of 197, 498, and 798 feet below the surface of the No. 2 Shaft. Lateral development which became completed at the time had amounted to 251 feet of drifting, 358 feet of crosscutting, and 517 feet of raising. This at the time had given the mine a total development footage of 9,190 feet of drifting, 2,429 feet of crosscutting, and 3,861 feet of raising. Underground diamond drilling totalling 41 holes, had comprised of a total length of 10,161 feet during the operating year of 1967. Surface drilling at the time was done in between the AER-KIDD and Totten Mine projects that amounted to 10 surface holes, totalling 451 feet in length. Production which was achieved during that year had amounted to far more nickel bearing ore than previous years as 218,547 tonnes was hoisted, and 350,678 tonnes was milled at a daily average of 687 tonnes. Employment within the mine had also rapidly increased to 121 men which were under the direction of W. Griffin within 1967.
Mining operations in 1968, would progress from January, 1st to December, 21, 1968, before the mine was closed down. Milling was also done from January, 1st to December, 21, as a decision was made to completely close the AER_KIDD Project. Explorations however, were still continued onward as the AER_KIDD Project was becoming re-evaluated, and the concentrator was being contract to process the ore from another mining operation. Development at the time was also confined to expanding the 950-foot level when 2,606 feet of drifting, 118 feet of crosscutting, and 217 feet of raising was done. A minor amount of raising was also done on the 800-foot level that would amount to 138 feet, and the 200-foot level had also been place in production when 224 feet of raising was completed.
in 2004, Crownflight Minerals had control nearly 2km of Worthington Offset Dike, which had a land position covering 280 ha. It had also included the AER-KIDD Property and the first diamond hole drilled had intersected sulphide mineralization on the Worthington Offset Dike. The whole was additionally drilled between the AER-KIDD and Totten Boundary Lines, which was aimed at targeting previous known mineralization in the 1960's. The bore-hole that was done had intersected the Worthington Offset Dike and 40 m of mineralized quartz-diorite. Almost all the mineralization that was intersected had mainly occurred within the quartz-diorite zone, which is a massive lens of rich Nickel-Sulphide that's surrounded by copper rich stringers within a wider sulphide zone. Much of the program had consisted of a 13,000 m diamond drilling program, geophysical survey, and geological mapping. Geological mapping on that was done had also revealed heavy chalcopyrite that was adjacent to INCO's Totten Property. The best intersections from this exploration program returned values of 1.46% Ni, 0.56% Cu, and 1.30 G/T PGE over 8.8 m in IQD
In 2014, Sudbury Platinum had completed a $2,000,000 private placement deal on further commencing drilling on their 100% owned AER-KIDD Property. Target programing and planning was aimed at completing 4,500 m diamond drilling program in order to test high-conductance Electromagnetic targets that are located within the AER-KIDD Property. These targets were aimed at defining the ore-body below the 700m and 1,200 m depth at the AER-KIDD Property. Other plans which were done between Sudbury Platinum and Transistion Metals were aimed at hole cleaning and resurveying of three historic bore-holes in order to evaluate the down plundge of the Past Producing Rosen and Robinson Mine Zones.
Sudbury Platinum and Transition Metals Corp had continued to conduct explorations on the AER-KIDD Mine Site in 2015. DIamond drilling was rather ongoing by the two companies that resulted in discovering sulfide base mineralization. It was hole AK-14-1A that intersected 8.1 meters containing results of 1.04% Ni, 0.75% Cu, 0.69 G/T Pt, 1.52 G/T Pd. 0.19 G/T Au, 3.81 G/T Ag and 2.40 G/T PGE. These intersections were made at a depth ranging between 900.8 m to 908.9 m, which included higher grade sections of 2.47% Ni, 2.47% Cu, and 10.18 G/T PGE. Another hole known as AK-14-001 had returned 1.75 m zone of 1.37% Ni, 0.50% Cu, 0.32 G/T Pl, 1.21 G/T Pd, 0.11 G/T Au, 2.37 G/T Ag, and 1.64 G/T PGE. These assays were intersect at depths ranging between 960.1 to 961.85 meters, which included a high-grade zone of 2.34% Ni, 0.50% Cu, and 2.43 G/T PGE. It had also included an intersection of 1.39% Ni, 0.43% Cu, 0.35 G/T Pt, 0.25 G/T Pd, 0.05 G/T Au, 2.88 G/T Ag, and 2.65 G/T PGM for a length of 3.00 m.
Geology of the AER-KIDD Property
Sudbury Breccias are know to occur peripheral to the Sudbury Igneous Complex within rocks of the Southern and Superior Provinces, and up to a distance of about 50 m from the Sudbury Igneous Complex. It was also previously referred as the Sudbury Ore Breccia, in which the rocks have been studied extensively from 1942 to 2018. For the most part, Sudbury Breccia Bodies are known to also occur within the footwall rocks that prentrade the Sudbury Event, and are known to be most abundant in zones of nearly 5 to 10 km wide at the contact of the Sudbury Igneous Complex. Field mapping has also defined the presence of 2 or more discontinuous zones of increased brecciation of about 20 to 25 km, and 80 km, from the Sudbury Igneous Complex. These foremost breccias are commonly considered to form irregularly and tubular bodies that range from a few milometers thick to breccia zones which are 0.5 to 11 km in size. These foremost breccias are also known to be exposed in rocks of the Huronian Supergroup south of the complex. Its also north of the complex where the breccias are also known to be less plentiful and have breccia bodies of 100 to 200 m by 30 to 50 m in areal extent. Most of the breccia dikes are known to also dip vertically or sometimes steeply and have no obvious preferred orientations with respect to the present shape of the Sudbury Structure. Sudbury Breccia Dikes are commonly known to cut other breccia dikes which have also been observed in the Sudbury Mining Camp.
The offset dikes of the sublayers are known to extend from the Sudbury Igneous Complex and are within the country rocks. Several dikes in the Sudbury Mining District are known to also have become injected into pre-existing dikes, just like the bodies of Sudbury Breccia. These consist of quartz-diorite which is the dominant rock type within the Sudbury Mining Camp and correlates with the Sudbury Contact Sublayers, which is formed through inclusion and sulphide mineralization. These offset dikes are known to subdivided the quartz-diorite offsets in three types, which the first of these types are radial offsets that extend from the embayment of Contact Sublayer, and extend to the surrounding footwall rocks. Some of these are known to be related to Copper Cliff, Whistle, Foy, Ministic, and Worthington offsets which are apart of the AER-KIdd Mine Property.
The second of these are known as Concentric DIkes that are typically associated with Frood-Stobie and Manchester Offsets, which strike parallel to the contact of the Sudbury Igneous Complex. A third dike known as Continous Dikes, are the third type of offsets, which are found in MacLennan and Creighton Townships. There is also three different types of quartz-diorite that occur within these dikes and are known to included the following:
- The Hypersthene Quartz Diorite which is decomposed to a medium to coarse grained, and consists of acicular hypersthene, plagioclase laths, with intersitional quartz, potassium, feldspar, and granophyric intergrowth of feldspar, and quartz. Biotite, apatite, titanite, ilmenite, and leucoxene are known as accessory minerals, while hypersthene commonly has hornblende rims.
- The two pyroxene quartz-diorite is much finer grained than the hypersthene quartz-diorite, and contains blocky clinopyroxene in addition to hypersthene.
- The third kind is amthibolite-biotite quartz-diorite which is characturized by amphibole and biotite pseudomorphs after pyroxene. that suggests that it is an alteration product of the two other quartz-diorite types. The most common type of quartz-diorite is known to commonly also be the third type and also the principal one in radial dikes.
All three of these quartz-diorite are known to also contain inclusions which maybe similar to those within the Contact of the sublayer. There also several different phase of sublayers that are found within the Sudbury Mining Camp which have also been observed. In some cases, inclusion of footwall breccias and norite that derived from the main mass of the Sudbury Igneous Complex are also present in places across the area. Some footwall breccia are commonly known for filling the Foy Offset from margin to margin. Geochemistry is known to commonly contribute to the formation of deposits and land formations that are made up through a chemical process. Geology also plays an important roll in fully understanding these concepts that take place a chemical processes within the earth's atmosphere. Different chemical processes can also be correlated to the making of ore-deposits as scientifically and chemical base theories.
Norite commonly is known for overlying the footwall breccia body at the bottom of the Sudbury Igneous Complex, Gabbro, and granophyrete magmatic body. A clastic magmatic event known as granitic plutonium had rather effected the south of the Sudbury Basin at one point in time. This would have happen at around +1450 Ma, when the Sudbury Basin would have potentially underwent a south-east to north-west ductile thrust faulting, which resulted in the formation of the South Range Shear Zone. The Worthington Offset Dike commonly intrudes middle pre-Cambrian pelitic metasediments of the Huronian McKim Formation and post Huronian Metagabbraric rocks.