In 1900, the Gertrude Mine was rather booming with development as the prospector had sunken the No. 1 Gertrude Mine Shaft to 120 feet below the ground. Much of this was reported to have also been one of the deepest shafts in the Sudbury region during this time period. All production from the shaft was first opened up by the first station that was situated on the mine's 47 foot section. Most of this level is known to become opened up by a south drift that's driven for a distance of 50 feet. As development slowly occurred, Mr. McVittie had now commenced further development on a second level that was being stationed at 102 feet. This level was slowly being opened up by a south drift that continues for a distance of 70 feet before it travels towards a north drift which extends 20 feet into the second level. Below this level much of the shaft was rather considered as a sump at this time of its production.
When William McVittie had started developing the No. 1 shaft, he also had started constructing the No.2 shaft development project that was 3,300 feet to the west of the No, 1 shaft operation. However much of this development was closed during 1899 as the company was further planning its engineering plans. Nevertheless another exploration was also known to occur when the company was examining and developing the No. 3 drift Tunnel All of this is then opened up by a long drift that travels for distance of 65 feet below ground. Development of this mining zone was believe to have been blasted by Batter charge wires, and wasn't consider to be kept in good condition as water kept on flooding this tunnel. Almost all ore from this structure was being developed by the use of drilling, and an exhaust pipe was made from the surface to clear away the fumes from underground. Further development also included a log power house that ws considered to be temporary during this time period, and had consisted of the following things, a Duplex Single Drum Hoist, and a 60 horsepower boiler that was designed to be like the Locomotive type. Much of this was caused because the company did not quite engineer its own Power House yet, and the hoisting system follow by the Air Compressor wasn't set up. Even a dynamite Magazine was considered to developed during this time period that was located 1,000 feet to the west of the No, 1 shaft. More so the prospector and its crew would store 3 tons of dynamite within this year alone. Nevertheless the prospector also made sure to keep this mine safe by storing fuse and caps in a spate building that was located 600 feet from the camp. In addition the company also started to provide some type of accommodation for its own headworkers that made this mining operation boom. Besides developing the mine the Manitoulin and North Shore Railway was rather on another mission when it had graded a railway line to Sudbury. A contract was shortly made to provide a 12 mile long spur line to the Gertrude Mine Site by Mcvittie within this railway development phase. Before any mining had once again became active, the railway line would have to be first build, and would take till 1901 to complete.
By 1902, further expansions became made when the present claim owners had started constructing their very own on site smelter, and also had raised the ore from underground levels. Another huge challenge was soon came upon when the owners did not have enough power supply to run this operation. So nevertheless, a new power house was shortly after put under construction to fix this issue. No further sinking phases had been completed on the No. 1 Gertrude shaft during that year but it was rather widened out to measure the size of 50 by 60 feet, and had only been expanded for a depth of 50 feet. The reason for these expansions to occur was because Mr. McVittie had wanted to construct stope sections within the Westside of the underground workings. Further along this section a narrow trench is rather known to occur, and is commonly reported to have ran 75 feet to east of the mine, where it becomes more narrow at the end by 50 to 20 feet. From this section a crosscut is than continued along the north side for 60 feet, where a stope had been cut out to further extract the rich ore material. Extraction procedures within the No. 1 shaft are being carefully scaled out in order to prevent any injuries or accidents from happening. Most of the ore is rather believed to be hoisted to the surface by a swing arm Derrick that was not considered to have posed any dangerous to the miners below.
Within 1902, the No.2 shaft was officially re-opened for production, and soon had included a wide section of Stope methods that became completed. As the shaft became re-opened, the Canadian Copper Company had now started on developing an open stope section that connected the second level with the surface. In addition this stope method alone was known to be 80 feet long, by 20 feet wide, by 20 to 40 feet in height, and had been driven towards an arched roof on the north portion of the mine. During this time period the Canadian Copper Company would also start to expand this shaft by adding a cage, which was about to be used as a way to transport ore. This whole new installation would soon included the construction of the Head frame, and the Ore Pocket. When production was firing up within the Gertrude Nickel Copper Mine, the Canadian Copper Company also developed their very own Hoist house which was situated 75 feet to east of the No. 2 Mine shaft. As this development was reaching its completion, the company would also install the following components to run this facility, which included a 40 H.P Return Tumbler Boiler, a double cylinder, and not least a single 3 foot Drum Engine Hoist. Once the ore becomes placed into bins, its than transported to the onsite Rock House for further crushing procedures by the new developed No.4 shaft
Nevertheless, another Shaft Operation known as the No. 4 shaft became establish within that same year. Company officials from the Canadian Copper Company would end up sinking this shaft to about 60 feet below the ground. Further so the shaft it self was first opened up by the first level that became stationed on the mines 45 foot section. Within 1902, the level was now being opened up by a west drift, which was driven for a distance of 100 feet within the rock. At about 50 feet insides a whack of stoping had been establish by this company which had measured to be 14 feet wide, and was mainly developed towards the roof of this mine, and its surface. Another east drift section travels for a distance of 60 feet before it continues on as it encounters a stope section that's 16 by 16 feet.
Much of this ore body is rather known to first start from the No. 1 shaft before making its way to the N0. 4 shaft at a distance of 750 feet to the west. During this time these two ore bodies became reported to have not been fully explored by the company in determining if these discovery zones have a connection between them. Much of the ore within the No, 1 shaft is considered to be very rich and comes in great masses like the No, 2 shaft operation. Further into exploring this section the Canadian Copper Company would also determine that the ore travels to greater depths. Within the same year the Canadian Copper Company would soon make other changes when it had added another 60 H.P boiler, and would also replace the old rock crusher with a 15 by 30 inch Black Jaw Crusher. Several upgrades became establish within the mine site as company officials and also private parties had constructed more dwelling towards this mining operation.
By this time the company was well in completion with it newly developed Smelting Complex Facility that was able to process 100 tons of roasted ore. Within this time period the company had already processed 1,700 tons of ore that was waiting to be shipped to the a newly developed Converter Plant in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada. Most of this material alone is known for averaging a high-grade value of 29% of Nickel-Copper Matte that's produced from the processing stage. In addition the newly developed Converter Plant will included one water-jacketed furnace with forehearths, a 50 H.P boiler, with a Connersville Blower that contains an engine, a Dynamo, and Engine, slag elevator, and not least the establishment of Ore snd Coke Bins. In addition the Canadian Copper Company also had other plans when it had also wanted to install two more Herreshoff furnaces, which we're known to be a greater capacity than the other ones,
In the Summer of 1903, most of the work and the smelting facility became closed down due to the cause of a financial embarrassment by the operators. Before this all had escalated a series of exploratory phases became establish within all shaft operations that resulted in more ore being uncovered. From this the Canadian Copper Company would end up making a huge change when it had started to raise the ore from the mine, and had also ran the smelter at full capacity. Nothing further with said to have commenced by the company prior to it having to close the Gertrude Nickel-Copper Mine down.
No more production or development on the mine was commenced until 1995, when INCO had claimed this mining area, and eventually started an open-pit operation from it. But all files became shortly after transferred to Vale in 2006. To this very day the whole entire mining operation is rather said to have been completely abandoned from any more explorations or extractions.