It was by 1891 when the present depth of the Blezard No. 1 shaft was reaching 172 feet below the crown of the hill. By this time the company would place mandatory development phases when a level became opened up by 60 feet of drifting to the north-east. Even some stoping had commenced when the Dominion Nickel Company had started raising procedures at the end of this drift section. Besides developing the first level this company would also remove the much need ore from an area that was being excavated at the time. At the time it was also reported that the pillars of the rock roof were not being removed as the much needed ore from this section would be extracted at a later time period.
With mining operations starting to expand the company would also engineer the No. 4 shaft that was once situated north-east of the old workings. It was rather reported that this shaft was not extensively developed as it became sunken to depth of 65 feet. In addition it was also reported that the shaft was sunken through a good amount of ore at it's full depth. As development continued to expand mining operations the company would also place it's very own smelter into production. At the time it was reported that the smelter was able to process a total of 125 tonnes of ore on a daily basis that came from the Blezard Mine. For the most part it was hauled away to the Stobie Copper-Nickel MIne by a tramway line that extended from this mining operation to the Stobie Mine Site. Nothing else would occur during this time period as the mine was kept in operating order that whole entire year.
Company officials from the Dominion Nickel Company had still operated this project through out the year of 1892. It was at this time when most of the development was being focus on the first level at 172 feet below the surface. Almost all development on the No. 1 shaft shaft was being aimed at removing the rock roof from the first level. This dangerous procedures would also remove some of the main crown pillars that supported the rock roof at the time.
As the mines continued to be constructed the company, and it's workforce of 170 miners had also further developed the newly engineered No. 4 shaft. Within this time period the whole entire shaft would be sunken to another additional 30 feet as it was now reaching a depth of 90 feet below the surface. More so the company would also open up a new level that became situated at the bottom of this shaft that was driven for a distance of 30 feet north-east. Production would also take place when the company was hauling away a total of 150 tonnes of ore on a daily basis that was crushed, screened, and sent away to the smelter.
By 1893, almost all mining operations that year became focus on developing the open-pit, and underground workings. For the most part the company had mainly focus on removing the remainder crown pillar while leaving the shaft pillar intact. From all preparations the company would end up drilling, and blasting off a total of 8,000 tonnes of ore that was lying on the ground. Almost all the standing walls within this expansion had also been well trimmed with mining operations being carried out safely. Further intentions also became made when the Dominion Nickel Company want to remove the mass of ore that was within the pillars section of the No. 1 shaft. Before this had all occurred the company would also hoist all the ore that was taken from the crown pillars of the workings by a steam Derrick.. At the time it became reported that the company would suspend mining operations as it would cover up the No.1 shaft for the time being.
Besides developing the No. 1 Shaft, the company also confined it's operations on the No. 4 shaft in 1893. It was within this time period when the No. 4 shaft had been fully timbered, and a good cage was installed for hoisting the ore from below. For the most part this company did not complete any sinking that year as it was confined to exploring the level in the No. 4 shaft. In addition to this expansion the company would also construct a crosscut that was driven on the west drift, and had a small amount of ore extracted from this location. By that time it became evident that a stope was now being developed within the newly constructed crosscut section. Nothing else became expanded during that time period of operating the Blezard Mine Project.
Production in 1893, was being done on a daily production rate of 140 and 150 tonnes of ore that became processed at the company's smelter. In all production there was a significant amount of ore that was taken from the Blezard Mine that ended up totalling 11,000 tonnes of ore from all extractions within that year. This whole entire ore production was crushed, and screen before being shipped off to the smelter at the Stobie Mine Site. At the time it was reported that the smelting yard had a total of 7,000 cords of wood in order to run this smelting operation that was done by roasting the ore. All mining operations at the Blezard Mine became suspended by the end of that year, and continued to be idle throughout 1894. This whole entire mine closure had occurred because the Dominion Nickel Company was experiencing some financial difficulties in getting operations going.
The whole entire Blezard Copper-Nickel Mine was taken over by the Mond Nickel Company who purchase this claim in 1903. He had also hired the previous geologist who also discovered the ore-bodies at the Cameron Mine that was located not to far from the Blezard Mine. This full-time mine manager had became identified as Robert McBride who had manage the Blezard Mine in 1892. At the time Mr. McBride had stated that much of the working were covered with waste rock, and buildings that it was hard to see the surroundings of the ore deposits. Even the open-pit was filled with water as the mine had already been abandoned for 9 years with no openings being made since that time period. The whole entire waste rock at this site was also mainly known to have consisted of norite, or gabbro, that was mixed in with greenstone ore-body, such as Hornblende Prophyrite, and fine grained hornblende schist, which had also contained quartzite. In addition it was also stated that the open pit wall had contained mostly greenstone, which was formed in massive quartzite that extended to the north where gabbro was known to have occurred. Further so it became noted that the Gabbro to the north was also determined to be the usual fine coarse grain type that extended to the shores of Whitson Lake. At the time it was reported that the open pit was very extensive as it had reach a depth of 60 feet, with the lower workings having gone down to 173 feet below the surface. After further examining this ore-body it was considered to have average 4 percent nickel, and 2 percent copper per a tonne of ore that was mined. The ore consists of a body of mixed chalcopyrite and nickeliferous pyrrhotite mingled with more or less rock matter, giving the whole appearance of a conglomerate.
During 1940, The Blezard Cu-Ni Mine was once again being explored by the International Nickel Company of Canada, Limited. It was at this time when low grade ore was intersected from this exploration program to warrent further work at the time. Much of this had rather resulted in suspending mining operations for the time being as it was found profitable to fully develop this project.
Geology of the Blezard Copper-Nickel Mine by OntarioExplorations101.
The contact sublayer is rather a fine to medium grained quartz dioritic to noritic unit which forms discontinuous, sheet like, bodies, more or less parallel to the lower contact of the Sudbury Igneous Complex. This foremost layer rather provides protrusions and embayments into the footwall rocks at the base of the complex. Its rather known to also be in a sharp contact with the overlying norites, and in sharp to grandational contact with the Footwall Breccia whick locally underlies the sublayer.
The gabbaroic quartz dioritic matrix of the contact sublayers phases commonly in fine to medium grained, and consists of hypersthene and augite in a ratio of 2:1 to 1:2 making up to 40 to 60% of the rock. This can largely be notice all along East Valley from the many outcrops that are observed in this area. Lath-shaped plagioclase, minor quartz, and potassic feldspar make upthe remainder of the matrix that's associated with this contact sublayer.
Field evidence rather indicates that the sublayer consists of at least 3 units subunits, defined by xenolith type and intrusive relationships. The foremost oldest subunit is the main, sulphide-bearing, sublayer subunit. The youngest being subunits containing little or no sulphide mineralization. Its also the sulphide-bearing, oldest sublayer subunit that is characterized by subrounded to rounded, mafic, ultramafic, sulphide and, in places, country rock inclusions. Sulphides are also formed from dissiminations or a massive matrix to the Igneous Eenoliths. The younger subunits of the sublayer are characturized by inclusions of footwall rocks and in places, contain xenoliths derived from the lower zone of the Sudbury Igneous Complex and the older, sulphide-rich sublayer. These units for the most part are rather post-norite in age and contain no ultramafic fragments, in which 50 to 90% of these inclusions are fined grained metavolcanic rock, that are possibly derived ftom the lower Huronian Supergroup.