Another shaft known as the No. 2 Prospect shaft was additionally sunk to a depth of 38 feet, with a cross-section that measured 17 by 6 feet. It was also at this point in time when the shaft was timbered to a depth of 11 feet just like the No. 1 Prospect Shaft. Most of the hoisting at the time was also arrange to be similar to the No. 1 Prospect shaft within the operating year of 1898. The No. 2 Shaft is rather located east south east of the No. 1 Shaft, and the No. 3 Shaft was 650 feet south-east of the No. 1. At the time, it was also reported that sinking of the No. 3 shaft was also just commenced within that year.
Other major construction had also followed suit when the company had completed the much needed surface structures. These surface structures that were put up had consisted of a blacksmith shop, a magazine for explosives, a rock house, and a pit head-frame was also being built. Construction at the time was also continued onward when an office, miners quarters. and stables built from logs. It was during that time period when mining operations at the Kirkwood Mine became ceased due to financial trouble.
The Kirkwood Mine property was later taken up by the Mond Nickel Company within the operating year of 1913. A pit at the time was also started as the old test pits were being turned into a mining operation at much lower costs. The Mond Nickel Company at that time had restarted mining operations at the Kirkwood Copper Nickel Project once again as ore was being mined from the pit. Ore that was hoisted from the pit was taken in buckets in order to be shipped by a tramway to Garson, Ontario, Canada. A new shaft was also started at the bottom of this pit at the time of commencing mining operations in 1913. There was also a 6-inch pipeline that rather had supplied the much needed compressed air to the mine site from Garson. For the most part, Kirkwood Copper-Nickel Project was rather situated 2 miles west of the historical Garson Mine Project. It was also within that time period of operating when the pit was now down to 60 feet, and was 30 feet in diameter.
Mining operation at the Kirkwood Mine were continued throughout the operating year of 1914, and has operated till December, 17, 1914, when the mine was closed down. The Mond Nickel Company had rather operated two shaft operations within that operating year. It was also at this point in time when the West or Main shaft was down to a depth of 110 feet below the surface. Much of the design of this shaft was made into three compartments down to the 70-foot level, and was also very well timbered. Below that point it was rather made into a two compartment shaft operation as it was mainly used to host a man-way and skip. Another shaft known as the East was also commenced to prospect a separate ore-body to a depth of 75-feet. It was also during that year when the West Main Shaft was continued to a depth of 130 feet below the surface. This resulted in opening up a level to mine the western ore-body as shipments within that time period were taken from it. A small amount of ore that was considered a medium tonnage at the time had totalled 32,760 tonnes of ore. Most of the ore shipments at the time were done by a Trenton Iron Works Aerial Tramway, that was 9,000 feet long, and had connected the mine site with the Garson Mine Rock House.
In 1915, mining operations at the Kirkwood Copper-Nickel Mine were operated for a short time period before all machinery was removed. Shaft sinking had also continued on the main ore body as it would reach a depth of 210 feet, which was also timbered to 130 feet. Much of the production that was taken from this shaft had came from the west side on the 210-foot level, and to the east on the same level. No additional ore was reported to have been recovered to the east of this shaft on the lower level workings to continue development, and production. Further prospecting was also completed when a small amount of tonnage was produce from two other ore-bodies for sampling. The first of these two ore-bodies is rather situated at a distance of 600 feet west of the main shaft, and was worked to a depth of 110 feet. Another ore-body was also situated at a distance of 500 feet east of the main shaft, and was worked to a depth of only 50 feet. In total ore shipments during that year it was reported that the mine had produce 38,448 tonnes of ore. No further mining was rather achieved at the Kirkwood Mine within the operating year of 1915.
After many years of being abandoned it was reported that the Kirkwood Copper-Nickel Project was once again re-opened. Only this time it was being operated by the International Nickel Company, Limited within the operating year of 1965. Some more changes were also being made when a new three compartment shaft was being collared, and had reach a depth of 49 feet. Most of the development work at the time was also under contract that was awarded to Dravo of Canada, Limited. Some of the surface work at the time was also being done under contract by Neil Smith Construction, Limited of Sudbury, Ontario. Almost all the surface contract work was rather being confined to engineering a steel building for the company`s operation.
Shaft sinking at the newly establish Kirkwood Copper-Nickel Property had continued onward by Dravo of Canada, Limited in 1966. It was rather at this point in time when the newly establish main shaft had reach a depth of 1,650 feet below the surface. Levels at the time were also being cut and stationed on the mines 200, 400, 600, 800, 1,200, 1400, and 1,600 foot horizons. Each of these newly establish levels had also been opened up at depths of 211, 400, 610, 799, 1,009, 1,219, 1,408,and 1,618 feet. Development within the operating year of 1966, had consisted of 673 feet of drifting, and crosscutting, 197 feet of raising.
Even further expanding was once again started as the newly developed shaft was now reaching greater depths of 2,134 feet. As the shaft continued to expanded, it was also reported that new levels became cut and stationed at depth of 1,807, and 1,996 foot horizons. These newly establish levels were now commonly known as the 1,800, and 2,000 foot levels. Far more development within the operating year of 1967, was completed that totalled 3,701 feet of drifting, and crosscutting, and 724 feet of raising. From all development since 1965, this had shortly brought the total development footage to 4,374 feet of drifting and crosscutting, and 921 feet of raising. Some of the major construction that was completed within 1967, had included a cooling tower. a hoist house, head-frame, collar house, and bin.
There was no additional changes made within 1968, in regards to the depth of the new shaft that had now reach a depth of 2,134 feet. At the time, most of the work on the Kirkwood Copper-Nickel Mine was greatly increased within that year. It was at this point in time when the lateral development had amounted to 10,828 feet of drifting, and crosscutting, and 2,183 feet of raising. This had rather brought the total development footage of the mine to 15,202 feet of drifting, and crosscutting, and 3,104 feet of raising. Even more exploratory work at the time was done when 99 underground diamond drill holes became driven in which totalled 25,442 feet in length. Some more major construction was also being carried out in which resulted in the development of an office, change house, and warehouse shop building, to tie into the hoist house.
No shaft sinking was commenced on the vertical, three compartment shaft during the operating year of 1969. It was at this point in time when mining operations were continued onward, except due to lost time from a strike action from July, 10, to November, 14, 1969. Lateral development within the Kirkwood Copper-Nickel Mine was rather expanded further by 10,178 feet of drifting, and crosscutting, and 2,657 feet of raising. From all development completed this had brought the mine to a total development footage of 25,380 feet of drifting, and crosscutting, and 5 761 feet of raising. Diamond drilling that was done on the Kirkwood Property had amounted to 128 underground holes, totalling 63,798 feet in total length. Ore that was hoisted from the working during 1969, had resulted in 43,443 tonnes of ore, in which 40,117 tonnes of ore were shipped.
The Kirkwood Copper-Nickel Property is rather located towards the south-east end of the Sudbury Basin. Its rather situated at the contact between the SIC, and Paleoproterozoic Elsie Mountain Metavolcanic Rocks. In addition to this, the Kirkwood Copper-Nickel Property is known to comprise of 473 patend mining parcels in Garson Township. Much of the contact with the SIC and the country rock strikes east-west, and dips steeply to the south. Geologically, the hanging wall consists of a series Metamorphosed Sedimentary, and volcanic rocks that contain minor schist zones. An east trending quartz diorite dike known as the Kirkwood Offset occurs to the south of the Norite Contacts within a zone of Sudbury Breccia which parallels the norite contact. Much of the ore from past production was rather mined from massive to semi massive breccia sulphide lenses at the SIC Contact. For the most part, the footwall norite is rather medium grained, and generally sheared at, and adjacent to the SIC Contact.
Exploratory work done by FXN within the operating year of 2005, had rather identified two airborne electricalmagnetic anomalies within the hanging wall of the Sudbury Breccia. A follow up on geological mapping, airborne geophysical, beepmat prospecting, surface stripping, and channel sampling had rather resulted in the discovery of Cu, Ni, Pt, Pd, Au, bedrock of mineralization. Trenching that was done on the property had rather revealed a lens that was 3 feet long, and up to 18 feet wide of massive sulphides containing good grades of Cu. Ni, Pl, Pd, and Au mineralization. Channel samples that were collected from the this trench had gave off assays of 2.92% Cu, 0.67% Ni. 0.61 grams a ton of Pt, 0.671 grams per ton of Pd, and 0.57 grams per ton gold over 18.90 feet. The newly discovered showing was rather referred as the Segway Zone that had showed the highest precious metals to be within massive sulphide lens. Follow up diamond drilling that was undertaken had intersected significant mineralization consisting of pyrrhotite, in which contained less than 10% Chalcopyrite, and 2 to 5% pyrite. Chalcopyrite veins are also known to extend beyond the massive mineralization. Host rocks that are associated with the Segway Zone are known to chiefly be quartz diorite, and meta-breccia with some Sudbury Breccia. Much of the Sulphide Lens at the time was also discovered at a distance of 2,000 feet behind the past producing Kirkwood Mine, and was situated between the Garson, and Falconbridge Mines. During this exploration phase FNX had completed six shallow drill-holes, totalling 2,139 feet with significant Cu, Ni, Pt, Pd, and Au mineralization being intersected in three holes. These three drill holes that had intersected the sulphide lens have also tested the mineralizationn to 250 feet beneath the trench. A drill hole that was done 100 feet to the west and two drill-holes 100 feet to the east had intersected the much favorable breccia horizon. However, this did not intersect the massive sulphides or the associated quartz diorite, although the plunge of the mineralization remains open at depth, and its strike appears to also be limited near the surface.