These impressive businessmen were commonly known to also own The Great Canadian Northern Railway. Besides just purchasing these block shares, they also establish them selves as the rolling interest in controlling it. In general these businessmen were extremely impress of how much iron moose mountain mine had held. Now with some sort of interest in this venture company officials had started to develop this mine further. At its own time moose mountain mine had a thriving workforce of 60 men. Mainly all ore extractions had became pile at its own mine site before William Mackenzie constructed a railway in 1908. Construction of its own railway had soon eliminated ore storage at the mine site as it was shipped to Key Harbour. This newly design refinery had soon produce several amounts of Iron. The arrival of the CNoR. in 1908 broke the community's isolation, and brought additional industry and employment to the town. The CNoR. had established terminal facilities, complete with roundhouses, stations, water tanks and coal chutes. Initially there we're two regular daily departures for Toronto. The following year, after the Warren Lumber Company established a lumber mill in Sellwood, a new influx of workers settled in town. Lumber camps were established in the area and lumberjacks and jobbers worked ten-hour days, six days a week.Around 1913, the CNoR, brought survey crews to the area and extended the line from Arnprior to Thunder Bay. However two years later, a divisional point, that contained much larger facilities, was established at Capreol. The main line bypassed Sellwood which was about 12 kilometres east. Sellwood was now the terminal of a spur that was linked to the main line at Sellwood Junction.
Although Sellwood was a company town, many residents owned their lots and/or buildings. Situated in complete isolation, 70 kilometres north of Sudbury, it had a peak population of 1,500 residents. During its heyday, it was able to support up to eight stores, two bake shops, four poolrooms, a bowling alley, two restaurants and a Chinese laundry. A schoolhouse with two rooms that doubled as a theatre and a Protestant church was built in 1913. A Protestant preacher, Rev. J.A.Godfrey, came to preach on occasion. A Catholic Church, which in reality was merely mission, received its spiritual enlightenment from Fathers William and Fawcett. Social activities often took the form of celebrations where residents would get together with music and dances. New residents were often welcomed to the community in this way
Within 1914, the Moose Mountain Limited would end up closing down their No. 1 mine at the Moose Mountain Mine Site due to low costs within the Iron Market. During this time period the No. 1 shaft was well reported to have been sunken down to 170 feet within the hard rock ground. In addition the company had other plans when two ore producing levels became opened up from this development. In addition the first of these levels was said to have been developed by drift section that traveled for a distance of 100 feet, while the other level was reported to have a drift of 150 feet. Nevertheless, most of the work within the second level came to a complete stop when company officials had reached the Ore Body it was following. When the mine had closed down the company still had operated their very own crushing plant through the months of June, July, and August. Most of the ore that was crushed during this time period had totalled 250 tons of ore on a daily basis, which became shipped to Sudbury for Ballast development. In 1914, the No. 2 Moose Mountain Mine Site was rather reported to have been out of commission within this year as the iron prices had drop significantly.
More so it was also reported that the ore from the No. 1 Moose Mountain Mine had been considered for averaging 45% iron. This was considered as another reason why the company did not commence mining operations at its No. 2 mine site. Ore that gets fed into the rock crusher is than crushed into one inch pellets that raises the value of the iron to 54% by Magnetic Concentrations within the No. 1 Mill.
The Old No. 2 Mill at the Moose Mountain Mine site is rather considered to have treated both ore from the No. 1 and 2 Moose Mountain Mine Sites. In addition the second milling facility was rather considered to have been used for processing the ore from the No. 2 Mine. Almost all the ore that came from the No, 2 mine was reported to have been less in grade than the No, 1 Moose Mountain Mine Site, and had also contained a lower percentage of phosphorus. Ore processing from the No. 2 mill is first started by feeding the ore into a Crusher that crushes this material into 3 or 4 inches, in a 34 by 48 inch Buchanan Jaw Crusher. Once the ore becomes crushed its than place on an incline skip where it becomes transported, and dumped into 2,500 ton Steel Bins. Once this becomes completed the ore than flows from the Ore Bins by the use of gravity, before its place into the No. 2 McCully Gyratory Crusher for the final phase of its processing.
.By 1916, as a result of the mine's erratic activity, some residents began leaving. That same year, Henry Bilborough (Plexman) moved his store brick-by-brick, re-establishing his business in Capreol, where he opened the first post office. Most had remained, to work in the bush or the lumber mill, while others gambled on the mine's reopening. The gamble paid off for some, but only for four years.
All development in 1918, soon started to commence further development on the main tunnel and the B zones when the company had started to establish a drift section This massive drift section was rather measured to be 10 by 11 feet, and had been driven for a distance of 151. Development on the A zone was open up by another drift that was reported to have gone for a distance of 350 feet. During this development phase company officials had also enlarge the A zone for a distance of 700 feet from its starting point. Most of this was establish because they wanted to make this section the same height as the B Zone Area. More development had also taken place that year when the company establish the a winze shaft that was drilled and blasted to about 93 feet. Some raising was also being developed during this time period that had totalled 9 feet. Most of these raises became identified to have been used as ore chutes that traveled for a distance of 182 feet within this operation. Many drifts also became establish within all mining levels of the Moose Mountain Mining project which totalled 509 feet. Company officials had also performed a whole new diamond drilling phase that had totalled 5,170 feet of underground core sampling.
Almost all of ore that was sent to the mill that year had consisted of 12,947 tons of fine grade material which came from the Moose Mountain Mining Operation. All extractions that became shipped had totalled 4,773 tons from the No. 1 dust pile and 5,500 tons of ore came from the whole entire development phase. Another extraction of 2,038 tons from the stopes. But production for the iron ore would not end here as the company had also extracted 636 tons from the No. 2 tunnel, and the No. 2 Pit.. These extractions of iron pellets had also became known as high-grade resources. When the ore had arrived at the mill it would then be burned in Kilns before being shipped of to the commercial industry. The company would also start to install new equipment which would included An 8 foot by 36 inch Hardinge Mill, a No.86 Marcy Mill, a ? foot by 6 foot Oliver Filter, and a 4 mould No.701 American Clay Machinery Briquette Press.
Almost all production is being taken from the main adit zone that's known to travel for a distance of 350 feet and is open up by a drift. At the end of this tunnel a series of two branches are know to have been developed. The first drift known as the A drift is located to the left of the mine and travels down for a distance of 590 feet.. In general the B drift that goes to the right of the mine is known to have been drilled and blasted for a total distance of 514 feet within this rock. Each of the stopeing procedures within this mine are being carried out along these two branches. Development of the main chutes are considered to be located within the main drift sections and travel for a short distance of 20 feet by 14 feet.
The mine finally closed in November 1920 after producing 472,000 tons of iron ore. In 1923 the property was officially abandoned. A few short years later the lumber mill also closed and the lumber camps soon grew silent. Only a few people remained and by 1926, the post office, the town's last institution, closed for good. By the 1930 not a soul was left in Sellwood. For the next two decades the town-site sat unused and completely abandoned. In April 1947 Lowphos Ore moved into the townsite and began to set up operations in some of the old buildings. From 1954-56 Lowphos Ore commenced explorations again. The National Steel Company erected a new mine and mill buildings in 1959. A pelletizing plant was added in 1963 with an annual output of 600,000 tons of processed iron pellets. Unfortunately in the process the old townsite was levelled to make way for the larger mining operation planned at Moose Mountain. In 1978 the mine closed again, this time for good. Today there is virtually no evidence that a large community even existed here. Since tailings and waste rock were bulldozed all over the townsite, no debris remains to tell the tales. The only evidence may be the cemetery which is rumoured to have survived.