Mining operations were continued during the year of 1914, when the Maidens Silver Mining Company was further operating the Maidens Silver Mine project. Work that was achieved at this time had been mainly done with a workforce of six men that were employed at this prospect site. Much of the development work had resulted in station cutting a level within the internal winze shaft that was reaching a depth of 60 feet below the 75-foot level. It was also at this time that another prospect shaft which obtained a depth of 85 feet was not worked in 1914. One of the main plants that had been added to this project had consisted of a 25-horsepower boiler, and two hoists that were a 6 by 8 and a 5 by 5. The naming of the prospect during this time was taken from one of the managing directors of the property known as Norman Maidens.
At the dump to the east of the shaft, it was noted that silver leaf was observed along with a black mineral in which W. K. McNeil had determined it to be a sulphantimonide of silver, but was not certain. Pieces of the vein that were observed on the dump had showed a width of six to eight inches of calcite and little quartz. Some of the blocks of this vein matter had additionally shown rock fragments cemented with calcite, suggesting a fault vein. Reports on this fault vein had also stated that a little bit of cobalt bloom was also observed within the fault breccia, and some pure smaltite. It was judging from the rock which had been seen on the dump that the Nipissing diabase was not encountered within the workings. However, a large amount of mine dump had also contained sections of lamprophyre that was noted.
Geological statements that were issued had also stated that it was in the southeast corner of H.R. 69, in which the Nipissing diabase had been exposed. Much of the area at points was largely exposed by a contact between the Nipissing diabase, and the Keewatin formations which area largely drift covered, so that its is not known whether the Nipissing diabase dips, so that some idea may be obtained as to how far the top of the diabase sill is below the surface in the vicinity of the veins. One of the nearest contacts of the Nipissing diabase and Keewatin is about one mile westward from the Maidens on historical claim R. L. 461, and H.S. 11. Here its determined that the contact is largely vertical, and had also been vertical at about half a mile to the north west on historical claim B.C. 105.
A total of four strong veins were additionally reported to have been discovered on the property, all of which had been opened up to a small extent by the development previously described. In addition to this, a large number of minor veins had also been located in the sub-surface workings, branching from the principal veins. The No. 1 vein which dips at an angle of about 75 degrees to the northeast, had also been opened up for 145 feet in the No. 1 level of the shaft, and for 120 feet in the No. 2 level. Much of the vein is known to consist of shattered country rock and calcite veining, in which it contains in places considerable amounts of smaltite, and native silver. Silver values that are found in the area are mainly associated with the vein and the adjoining country rock that occur over a greater length and are in general higher at the second than at the first level.
Some of the assays that were taken from the first level of the No. 1 shaft had reportedly contained 11 oz over 48 inches which were taken from 10 feet of the north face. This also included 8 ounces of silver over 54-inches that were taken from 15 feet of the North face. The last assay made had contained 56 ounces of silver over 25-inches that was taken from 20 feet of the North Face.
On the second level of the No,. 1 shaft its reported that 52.8 ounces of silver over 12-inches was recovered from 10 feet of the North wall of sump. Another sample had resulted in 5.2 ounces of silver over 18-inches taken from 15 feet of the North Wall of the sump. Further assaying resulted in 1.6 ounces of silver over 30-inches that was taken from 20 feet from the North wall of the sump. Sampling was continued on the North Wall of the sump, in which 1.8 ounces of silver over 16 inches was recovered from 20 feet.
As the mine was once again started it was reported that further construction work was done towards the property. Most of the work had included the erection of an office, and storehouse, Power House, Dry house, Blacksmith shop, and a headframe that was 35 feet in height. The major amount of development work at the time had also started on repairing the old shaft that was enlarge to a depth of 88 feet. and sinking had shortly after continued to a depth of 250 feet below the surface.
A contract at this time was additionally made with the Huronian Belt Syndicate who undertook a diamond drilling campaign on the Lorrain Trout Lake Property. Diamond drilling that was conducted by the company resulted in completing six hundred feet of drilling, in which 280 feet was completed on the Canadian Lorrain Ground.
Canadian Lorrain Silver Mines continued its progress with the old Maidens Silver-Cobalt Project during the year of 1924. No additional changes were made towards the direction of the company that had remained the same as the previous year. The managing director of the mine site was Hugh MacMillan, and had employed between 30 to 50 men.
Development was well advanced during the operating year of 1924, that resulted in station cutting of levels that were establish at 80 and 250 feet below the surface. Further work had involved the sinking of an internal winze shaft that was sunk on the vein to a depth of 100 feet on the incline from the 250-foot level. Lateral development was shortly after followed that resulted in completing 240 feet of drifting, and 120 feet of crosscutting on the 80-foot level. As lateral development continued it was reported that 1,548 feet of drifting, 375 feet of crosscutting, and 210 feet of slashing that was completed on the 250-foot level of the Canadian Lorrain Mine Project in South Lorrain Township. This also included completing development work on the internal winze level that comprised of 160 feet of drifting to the east, and 170 feet to the west of the No. 1 production shaft.
It had also been during 1924, when diamond drilling was commenced by the company in which this had totalled a length of 2,111 feet that was done in five holes. One of the very first diamond drill holes was driven horizontally from the 3rd level, which was the Winze level, and had consisted of 1,038 feet of drilling to the south. One of the second holes that was put done from the surface, at a distance of 878 feet south from the main-shaft, to a depth of 83 feet at an angle of 45 degrees bearing S. 4 degrees E. The third hole that was driven from surface, was additionally put down 773 feet south of the shaft at an angle of 45 degrees for 77 feet on the same bearing. It was the fourth hole that was put down vertically to a depth of 90 feet, from a point of 770 feet south of the shaft, Diamond drilling had also included the fifth hole that driven from the same point as the No. 4 diamond drill hole to a depth of 823 feet.
During the operating year of 1925, the Canadian Lorrain Silver Mines had continued their development and exploration campaign on the Canadian Lorrain Mine. With mining taking shape it was during the year when lateral development work had amounted to 2,224 feet of drifting, 909 feet of crosscutting, 188 feet of slashing, and 394 feet of raising, and a 5-foot winze. It was of this amount of work that 240 feet of drifting was done within the No. 1 tunnel. Work had also been confined to a total of 189 feet of drifting that was done on the No. 2 tunnel from the indicated amount of lateral development. Progress at the time was also made towards the 250-foot level that consisted of 719 feet of drifting, 819 feet of crosscuts, and 291 feet of raising. Another productive that was station cut had been the 350-foot level that was laterally developed by 1,099 feet of drifting, 76 feet of crosscutting, and a 108-foot raise was driven on this level. Some of the major development during the year was confined to the finding of an important high-grade ore-shoot on the 350-foot level, which was 109 feet long wit an average width of 11 inches containing 750 ounces of silver per ton.
With the mine expanding it was also in 1925, that commodious camp buildings were erected, and a plan was being drawn for the erection of a 50-ton concentrating mill. The main camp buildings that were developed had largely comprised of a cookery, quarters, and five 10 men huts, each being about 22 by 20 feet.
The main mine shaft that was used during the previous years of development had remained unchanged in 1926. It was from the point of the shaft that the working levels were station cut on the 80-, 150-, and the 240-foot horizon of the mine. As development progress this resulted in deepening the internal winze shaft to a depth of 410 feet. From this point of the workings it was reported that the lower levels within the internal winze were station cut on the 350- and 410-foot level.
Most important development work that was done during the year of `1926, was confined to the No. 5 vein at the 150-foot horizon. Mining operation that were carried out on this level had disclosed an ore shoot of milling ore that corresponded to the three shoots previously developed in the same vein at the 250-foot level. On the 150-foot level the C-shoot was additionally developed for a length of 67 feet, with an average of 105 ounces of silver per ton over 48-inches. Other development work was focus on the B shoot that had a total length of 66 feet, averaging 86 ounces per ton over 36-inches. As development progress on the 150-foot level it was stated that the A shoot was also developed for a length of 15 feet, averaging with it 41 ounces of silver per ton over 31-inches.
Productive development had also been focus on the E-ore shoot of the No. 17 vein that was opened up on the 350-foot level. The No. 17 vein was additionally followed downwards by a winze, which was sunk to the depth of 410 feet. Reports on this area had also stated that good milling ore was produced that average 80 ounces of silver per ton over a width of 20-inches with high-grade ore patches, which persisted for about 50 feet below the 350-foot level. Lateral development that was done during this time period had resulted in completing 64 feet of winze sinking, 5,271 feet of drifting, and crosscutting, 242 feet of raising, and drifting in conjunction with the Gilgreer mines, which had amounted to 665 feet.
It had also been during the year of 1926, when the milling facility was completed and put into operation by the Canadian Lorrain Silver Mines Limited. As progress was being made on the surface it was also stated that a new head-frame was shortly after erected. The mill had additionally went in commission during December, 1926 for a tuning period, in which it was mainly fed with material of interior grade. With the commissioning of the milling facility it was stated that the installation of the flotation unit, which had greatly improved the extraction, but was not completed till March. Milling operations were largely done during the period of December 12 to February 28, 1927, that resulted in treating 3,481 tons of ore with an average head grade of 12.21 ounces of silver per ton had been process, from which a 63.55% extraction was obtained. Production in regards to recoveries for the period was largely considered to have been based on actual smelter returns that resulted in 14,985 pounds of picked ore, returning 27,567.47 ounces of silver, and 981 pounds of cobalt, and 123,626 pounds of concentrate amounting to returns of 27,020.35 ounces of silver. Other statements reported that it was prior to the commencement of milling operations that 31.11 tons of high-grade ore was treated, and had mainly been taken from development operations that produced 90,560 ounces of silver, and 3,579 pounds of cobalt. In combined net production it was stated that the total recoveries were 138,642.11 pounds of concentrate containing 145,147 ounces of silver, and 4,560 pounds of cobalt.
Major changes were made in 1927, when stoping operations were operantly ceased at the Canadian Lorrain Mine for the time being. Most of the work during the year was mainly being aimed at running the mill on-dump rock that was produced from previous mining operations. Exploration work was also largely undertaken during the year that resulted in unimportant discoveries and it was decided to close the mine. Production that was achieved during the year had been mainly operated from March, 1 to May 31, 1927, in which 77,707 ounces of silver were recovered. From all production it was stated that the Canadian Lorrain Mine had produced 222,858 ounces of silver and 9,120 pounds of cobalt from 200,824 pounds of concentrate.
By 1935, the property was being largely leased out to H. G. Miller of Silver Centre, who had mainly confined his own operations to the dumps at the Canadian Lorrain Property. Mr. Miller had additionally employed a total of three men during part of October, November, that resulted in picking over the dumps from previous mining operations. Shipments that were made from the property had recovered 812 ounces of silver, in which had valued at $357, that was obtained from 16 tons of ore.
The Canadian Lorrain at this time had been mainly under option to H. G. Miller and Associates during 1937. Work that was majorly confined to the old rock dumps had resulted in making silver ore shipments to the O'Brien Mill for treatment. The total production reported for the end of that year was 1,287 ounces of silver that was produce from concentrate. H. G. Miller and Associated would also acquire the mining, surface, lands, and mineral rights to the Canadian Lorrain Mine.
H. G. Miller and Associates had came to agreement with Millwights Mines, Limited., to conducted mining operations under joint ventures. Millwights Mines was also incorporated at this time in 1938, with an authorized capitalization of $3,000,000 shares of $1 par value, of which 265,000 shares were issued. The company was largely incorporated by M. Wight as president, and N. L. Wight as secretary treasurer. Management during this time period was also being done by H. G Miller.
Mining operations were being largely carried out from January 1 to March 10, 1939, at the Canadian Lorrain Property. Much of the work during this time period had resulted in dewatering the shaft and a total of 45 feet of raising was done on the second mine level. A minor amount of production was taken from the mine that would amount to 13 tons of ore which had been hosted through the main workings. From all recoveries it had been stated that Millwights Mines and H. G. Miller and Associates would recover 24,884 ounce of silver, and 2,448 pounds of cabalt.
Under joint venture agreements Millwights Mines and H. G. Miller had continued mining operations at the Canadian Consolidated Property at a small scale in 1940. During that year it was stated that Millwight Mines had additionally added one more director by the name of Robert E. Cleaver. Mining operations that were being conducted at the Canadian Consolidated Mine had been done from May 1 to October 26, 1940. Major changes were followed as a trestle which had been 90 feet long, was installed from the shaft-house to the crusher-house, and a building to house the Diesel equipment was erected. Much of the surface work had also been followed by the completion of a 50 to 60 ton per day milling facility. Some of the main milling machinery that was added had additonally included a Hardinge Ball Mill, two Jaw Crushers, 3 tables, conveyors, and a screen classifier. With development taking place the three-compartment, vertical, shaft on the property was 259 feet deep, with levels establish at 80, 250, 350, and 450 feet. The levels at 350- and 415-feet were considered to have been accessed through an internal winze shaft that was collared from the 250-foot level to a depth of 165 feet, that was now reaching 415 feet below the surface. No work was additionally done on the two lower levels as they were flooded, and most of the mining operations were being done on the second level. Lateral development which had been undertaken in 1940, resulted in driving two raises, each being 121 feet in length, that were driven from the second level to the first level. Mining that was being done on this level hadf additionally been used for testing the new 5o to 60 ton milling facility on the property. Total recoveries that were made for that year had amounted to 10,484 ounces of silver, 393 pounds of cobalt, and 53 pounds of nickel. From all production the mine was creditted for producing 276,825 ounces of silver at grades between 800 to 1,200 ounces of Ag per ton, and 16,678 pounds of cobalt that was recovered at grades between 0.041% to 2.67% Co.
In 1953, the property was largely known to have went under three different names as it was referred as the Canadian Lorrain, Miller-Elliot, and Millwights Mines. Another ownership change was also made when Gilgreer Mines, Limited., had acquired the former Canadian Lorrain Property. Work that was largely done by Gilgreer Mines would consist of dewatering the shaft to the 415-foot level of the main working shaft. Lateral development by the former operators had additionally amounted to 12,880 feet of lateral work, and 262 feet of raising was done. In 1952, Gilgreer Mines, had continued to expand the working when 95 feet of drifting and 140 feet of raising was done on the 250-foot level. Production during the year had amounted to hoisting 700 tons of silver-cobalt ore from the workings. As development continued it was also reported that construction work had been commenced on the surface that was largely confined to the erection of a frame bunk house, a cookery, and a compressor house. Other work consisted of building a much shorter road from the mine to the Cobalt-Silver Centre Road.
Lateral development work was largely confined to drifting on a calcite vein that has a width of 1 to 3-inches, extending north for 28 feet, and for five feet adjoining the shaft. On this section it was reported that the floor and the back of the workings contained a cobalt lens of 2 1/2-inches wide, and it was beyond that point that only calcite was observed. It was on south side of the main workings where a drift extends southward for 15 feet following a calcite vein, which is largely cut by another one trending N 75 degrees E before being followed by another drift for 17 feet. Reports on cobalt had also stated that it was largely seen to the back of the shaft between the cribbing at the collar, and the back of the drift, at distance of 20 feet. Cobalt is largely known to be shown for an average length of 15 feet, and has a width of about 3-inches. To the north side of the shaft another calcite vein was observed to have average between 3 to 4 inches. Ore is also reportedly stated to extend for some distance below the 50-foot level on the north side of the shaft, but could not be observed due to flooding. One of the main Geo Engineers at this time was Reid, who had stated that the impression of the showing was that it was too small to be of interest except for the possibility of two men leasing it.
Cobalt Consolidated Mining Corporation would shortly acquired the Canadian Lorrain Property in 1953. It had also been at this time that the company was incorporated with a total capitalization of 3,500,000 shares of $1 par value, of which 2,429,026 shares were issued. The main company was also founded by Leslie Blackwell, who was the president of his own incorporation under the laws of Ontario, Canada. He additionally had hired on J. T. Symons, as the secretary treasurer, with G. E. Buchanan as the second secretary treasurer. Some of the main directors of the company were P. H. Hershey, Dalton Dean, Martial Dumulon, Andrew Robertson, and E. G. James. In addition to the acquision of the Canadian Lorrain, the company had also acquired properties held by Silanco Mining and Refining Company, Cobalt Lode Silver Mines, Pen-Cobalt Silver Mines, Gilgreen Mine, Keylode Cobalt Silver Mines, Hellens Mining and Reduction Company, and others in the Cobalt, South Lorrain, and Gowganda Areas. The mines that had been acquired by the company included the Agaunico Mine, Cobalt Lode Mine, Colonial Mine, Crown Reserve-Kerr Lake-Penn-Canadian-Foster Group, Gilgreer Mines, formerly known as Canadian Consolidated, McKinely-Darragh Mine, Right of Way and Cobalt Lake Mines, the Colonial Mill, the 104 mill, and the tailings reclaimation plant of the McKinely Darragh Mine Property.
No mining or development was carried out by the Cobalt Consolidated Mining Corporate in 1953, but 2,396 tons of previously broken ore had been hoisted and sent to the Colonial Mill for treatment. Exploration work consisted of completing seven diamond drill holes from underground, totalling 1,230 feet in length. Operations that were being conducted by Cobalt Consolidated Mining Corporation had been suspened by September of that year.
In 1963, the property was held by Agnico Mines, Limited, that consisted of claims H.R. 14, 66, 67, 69, 70, 77, 509, 520, and 521. By this time the property was largely being leased by the Kirkland Townsite Mines, who had rebuilted the main 60-foot headframe. It was at this time that the main shaft had reached a total depth of 250 feet, and was completely dewatered by Kirkland Townsite. This would resul in further installations when a 43-inch air hoist and cage was installed at the Canadian Lorrain Mine. A portable compress which was used had also supplied the main motive power to the mine sites. Exploration work had consisted of five surface diamond drill holes, totalling 3,111 feet in total length. This had also resulted in completing six underground diamond drill holes, totalling a length of 2,043 feet. The work that was done by KIrkland Townsite was officially stop on August 22, 1963, and all machinery including equipment was removed from the property.
Reports on the workings had stated that they largely are known to consist of steeply dipping, fine grained Archean basalts with bands of coarse-grained diorite. Cutting these rocks is narrow dikes of micro-lamprophyre. Some of the older rocks in the area are intruded by dykes, and sills of Granophyre, and diabase. These rocks that are mention are more so older than that of the Nipissing Diabase in the area. On claim H.R. 69, it had also been stated that the Nipissing DIabase had been removed by erosion, except near the south boundary of the claim where the bottom contact dips at 5 to 10 degrees to the south-east. Many of the veins, and fault within the area had rather been complex to work with, and were in parts known as branches to faults in the area.The granophyre sill is considered to be best exposed on the 250-foot level of the mine workings. On this level it had appeared to be more flat, with a gently undulating body that was 40 to 70 feet thick, striking 75 degrees E, and dipping to approximately 35 degree S.
The Maidens Bay area is largely associated with intermediate to mafic volcanic rocks with assciated mafic intrusive rocks. These rocks are fine to medium grained and dark greenish grey on the fresh surface with a brown to grey weathered surface. In some sections the rocks of the general area are seem to be composed of altered amphibole and feldspar, which also contains minor quartz, chlorite, and opaque oxides. These coarser grain facies of gabbroic flows are also considered to be intrusive in part, but much of its largely coarse grained volcanic rocks. Some of the few pillows that are observed in the area are located to the top face slight west of south. The silver-cobalt deposits in the area are considered to be mainly deposited within the Nipissing Diabase, with minor occurrence in lamprophyre.
The silver-cobalt deposits at the Canadian Lorrain Mine are largely consided to be within metavolcanics which had been covered by Nipissing diabase at one point in time. Geological, evidence of the Silver-Cobalt deposits shows that they are associated with the lower contact of the Nipissing Diabase. Schistosity in the area is considered to be generally weak, and pillows are quite rare in the area of the Canadian Lorrain Silver-Cobalt Property.
Two of the main ore-shoots within the Canadian Lorrain Mine are commonly known to have largely been the No. 5 and No. 10 veins. The area is largely hosted of ore-shoots that were predominantly mill-rock which were found on the No. 5 vein, over a length of 400 feet measured along the vein to the northwest from the juction with the No. 10 vein. On the No. 10 vein a small but high-grade ore-shoot was found to have a length over 150 feet from the juction with the No. 5 vein. Other importantanc's that were not concluded had been that the Granophyre that was still in doubt as ore, but had been found above, below, and within the sill. Many of the veins are found within fault zone, for example the No. 5 vein is in a northwest striking fault with a much parallel fault being 250 feet to the north. Between the two faults are considered to be numerous cross-faults with veins in them being Nos. 3, 7, 28, and 32 being the main one. These faults had largely been known for constituting the main ore that was mine in previous years of working the property.