The very first copper discovery in this area was reported to have been made in 1876, when a prospectors were already at work to determine the size of this deposit. One of the very discoveries of copper occurrence became reported by James Grant in 1976. He was rather known as an experience prospector who was from Nova Scotia as he settled down on his own, and soon discovered a big copper deposit zone. After this discovery was made another prospector by the name of Edward Couch from Massachusetts, had staked some potential claims a few year later. After coming upon one of the bigger copper discoveries he soon had optioned the mine to some business owners who started developing the Dorchester Copper Mine. These newly discovered copper bearing zones soon had the business owners forming their own company into the Westmorland Mining Company in 1881. Almost all mining was commenced in the fall of that year when the mine was officially being place under development phases. At the time their was a small prospect shaft designed by the company before it had to abandoned this mining zone due to falling Copper Prices,
Another mine staking was made in 1884, and 1885, when the historical Colonial Copper Company had now owned this production business. There was also some rich grading copper taken from this mining operation within these time periods of sinking a 30 meter shaft. After not succeeding at this development project the company was also force to abandoned mining operations at this site. Most of this was being done because the copper prices had kept on falling dramatically within the late 1800's.
From 1885 to 1898, the mine was left to become abandoned before it was staked by the Intercolonial Copper Company of Arizona, United States. By this time the newly staked mine was once again place into production when the company started to mine the ore. It would also develop a newly designed mill for processing the copper-bearing ore with the method grinding, roasting, leaching, and Electrolytic Precipitation. With the mill under construction the company continued to mine this deposit as it wasn't till 1901, when the mill produce the first copper plating. Milling was rather continued till about 1903, when it was found that the mill was to expensive to operate it.
However mining at the Dorchester Copper Mine was a continuous industry as another re-opening was made somewhere in the early 1900s. It would provide a continuous shipment of ore that was being made to New York for the use as converting linings in Copper Smelters. Assaying from this locations was reported to have contained grades of 1.3 to 3% copper along with some silver. After comining to a close by 1915, the mine would not be re-opened till about 1916.
By 1916, another company known as the Chemical Copper Company had token full ownership of this claim. Within this year the company place mandatory development towards sinking three shafts that were all reaching different depths at 9 m, 12 m, and 38 m deep. This development phase also included the engineering of two adits that were driven within the outcroppings. The first of these adits was known to have been drilled for length of 122 m, while the second one travelled for a distance of 427 m. Some more ore was also taken from this location that was not reported at the time of this opening. Dorchester Copper Mine continued to be in operation till about 1917, when this mine site was once again abandoned.
Another re-opening was made in 1951, when Kennco Exploration (Canada), Limited had staked this claim. The company at this time had re-opened the main-adit zone that allowed access to the ore-body. It was within this time period that the company would only sample the showings before deciding to abandoned mining operation. Some more explorations continued to take place within the next few years that included drilling, geochemical surveying, geophysical surveying. The last company to investigate this mining zone further was known as the Gorde Investments, Limited, who undertook this claim in 1992.