It was during this time period when a small amount of prospecting had occurred on this property. Much of this had only consisted of trenching, and sampling procedures before all mining operations became abandoned. Nothing else was reported to have taken place within this time period as the prospector never did put this operation into production.
1947 - Leased to the Newly Incorporated Ryan Lake Mines, Limited
The Ryan Lake Mine was rather being made when a staking was made within this time period of preparing mining operations. It was also at this time when the company was preparing it self finacially in order to develop this mining operation. This whole entire Copper-Molybdenum Project was reported to have consisted of 14 leased claims in Powell Township, Matachewan Area of Timiskaming District, Ontario, Canada.
1950 - Leased to Ryan Lake Mines, Limited
Mining operations were officially commencing when the company started sinking a two compartment vertical shaft to a depth of 105 feet on the ore-body. Much of this had soon resulted in satisfactory results that prompt the development of a level on the 92 foot horizon. Almost all of this development was reported to have only been accomplish by open-cut methods at the time. For the most part it was stated that the ore-body had its own width of 6 feet, and contained 300,000 tonnes of ore grading 3% Copper ore. Diamond drilling had also taken place when the company completed 4 surface holes, totalling a length of 2,500 feet.
With the mine being satisfactory the company had constructed a concentrator plant that had a capacity of 75 tonnes of ore per a day. Some more structures also became added to this project as it was place into operation by this time period. This had also resulted in a shipment of copper concentrate that became shipped to the Noranda Smelter in December, 1950.
1951 - Leased to Ryan Lake Mines, Limited. who reorganized it self to from the New Ryan Lake Mines, Limited.
It was at this time period when the company continued to extensively develop the first level at the 92 foot horizon. This resulted in expanding the workings by 875 feet of drifting that was done to the east and west of the shaft. As operations continued the company had also commence development phase of three stope sections on the west side of the shaft. Other development within this time period had resulted in developing two raises that were driven to the east, and to the west of the shaft. The West raise was rather turned into an escape way, and the East Raise was mainly used to store the ore. More explorations also continued when diamond drilling had consisted of 14 underground holes, totalling 993 feet in length.
Other changes were also being made when the company change to electrical power, in which the concentrator was converted to handle 60 tonnes of ore. Some more structures also became developed when the company installed a tramway from the shaft house to the milling facility. There was also compressor house that became completed, and additions were being made to extend the mill, and assay office. Milling operations during 1951 had end up treating a total of 10,271 tonnes of ore. This also resulted in the shipment of copper concentrates to the Noranda Smelter. Some more changes had also taken place when the company had reorganize it self to form the New Ryan Lake Mines, Limited on October 1951
1952 - Leased to New Ryan Lake Mines, Limited
A huge amount of expanding had occurred within this time period of sinking the two compartment vertical shaft to a depth of 209 feet. With the shaft continuing to be driven further the company had also cut a new level that was establish on 192 foot section. Lateral development within this time period had mainly consisted of 1,161 feet of drifting, 212 feet of crosscutting, and 2.036 feet of raising. . For the most part diamond drilling was being done underground and had consisted of 15 holes totalling a length of 2,215 feet. Much of this development also resulted in constructing far more surface structures that had included a hoist room, and compressor house, additions to the mill, a warehouse, boiler room, and dry house. It was also within this time period when the air hoist was converted into an electric drive.
Upgrades on the company's mill had also taken place when the capacity was increased, and the mill was shut down for two months. As it resume operation the mill had end up treating a total of 21,543 tonnes of ore that came from this copper operation. The whole entire concentrate was delivered to Elk Lake by truck, and had then been shipped by rail the Noranda Smelter in Quebec, Canada.
1953 - Leased to New Ryan Lake Mines, Limited
Shaft sinking had continued to expand the No. 1 vertical three compartment shaft to a depth of 459 feet. As the shaft was sunken deeper within the ground it also became opened up by two new levels that were developed on the 317 and 442 foot sections. Development, and sinking had also resulted in more diamond drilling when thirty-two holes totalling 2.868 feet in length became drilled from underground. Hoisting from the underground workings had also taken out a total of 27,177 tons that was mined from these levels. A small amount of miners also became employed when the company had it's own workforce of 44 miners.
Lateral development completed on all levels by 1953
Level drifting crosscutting raising
92 foot 1,105 feet 25 feet 326 feet
192 foot 1,809 feet 579 feet 500 feet
317 foot 639 feet 232 feet 190 feet
442 foot ---------------- 36 feet --------------
Much of the whole entire milling facility had operated from January, 1 to June, 27, when it was shut down prior to shaft sinking. It was by October, 12, 1953, when the mill was place back in operation, and had treated a total of 26,747 tonnes of ore that year.
1954 - Leased to New Ryan Lake Mines, Limited
Operations at the Ryan Lake Mine had continued to operate throughout 1954 with no schedule shaft sinking phases. Development within the shaft operation was mainly focus on extending the 317 and 442 foot levels. A significant amount of copper ore was also mine within this time period, and had totalled 49,416 tonnes. Diamond drilling had consisted of 8 holes totalling 2,801 feet from the surface, and 28 holes totalling 5,011 feet from underground.
Lateral development completed on all levels in 1954
Level drifting crosscutting raising
92 foot 1,105 feet 25 feet 326 feet
192 foot 1,809 feet 579 feet 590 feet
317 foot 705 feet 232 feet 639 feet
442 foot 548 feet 36 feet 658 feet
Production from the mill in 1954, had soon treated a total of 47,738 tonnes of ore that came from this mine. It was also stated that shipments of the concentrate were being made to the American Metal Company from January to Feburary. Some more shipments had also been made to the Smelter owned by Noranda in Quebec after Feburary. No other development had taken place on this property when the company decided to cease operations at the end of 1954.
1957 - Leased by Min-Ore Mines, Limited to G.S Welsh
A small amount of production was reported to have escalated within this time period of operating the Ryan Lake Copper-Molybdenum Mine. For the most part Mr. Welsh had mainly focus on extracting 5,000 tonnes of copper ore from a surface cut that was 350 feet long, and 20 feet deep. All the ore that came from the Ryan Lake Mine was additionally milled, and shipped to the smelter owned by Noranda in Quebec, Canada. Other statements had stated that the Min Ore Mines, Limited. had kept the workings dewatered prior to the prospector abandoning this site in September, 1957.
1958 - Min-Ore Mines, Limited leased to the International Ranwick, Limited
There was no additional underground development done on the New Ryan Lake Mine Site at the time. It was rather being explored for its potential within this time period as a small amount of ore was mined from an outcropping. Additionally the company had taken a total of 3,500 tonnes of ore in order to determine the actual grade of the Copper, and Molybdenum. More so it was strongly reported that the company had extracted this ore at a distance of a quarter mile north of the shaft. Diamond drilling had consisted of 4 surface holes, totalling 850 feet, and 14 holes totalling 1,790 feet in length. An upgrade was also made to the mill in order to treat the Molybdenum, and copper ores. In total production the altered mill was strongly stated to have process a total of 2,430 tonnes of ore that year
1959 - Min-Ore Mines, Limited Leased to International Ranwick, Limited who reorganize it self to form the International Molybdenum Mines, Limited.
Almost all mining operations were being confined to extending 317, and 442 foot levels in 1959. Even more diamond drilling had also taken place from underground, and had consisted of 15 holes, totalling 5,000 feet in length. In addition to this the company also installed a test mill in order to provide facilities for conducting experimental work on the ore. .
Lateral development completed on all level by 1959
:Level drifting crosscutting raising
91 foot 1,304 feet 195 feet 403 feet
192 foot 2,029 feet 579 feet 663 feet
317 foot 1,481 feet 904 feet 836 feet
442 foot 1,575 feet 602 feet 1,390 feet
1962 - Pax International Mines, Limited was officially organize when International Molybdenum Mines, Limited, and Athabasca Uranium Mines, Limited had consolidated. Property leased from the Min-Ore Mines, Limited.
Development within 1962, was mainly focus to extracting ore material from an open pit that was located north of the main mine area. Production for the first half of 1962, had totalled 2,000 tonnes of ore that came from this open pit operation. Much of the ore was reported to have been extracted for mill testing procedures at the time. It was later stated that the New Ryan Lake Mine Mill was mainly being used to treat the copper ore that came from the Ethel Copper Mine owned by St. Lucie Syndicate. For the time being it was stated that Min-Ore Mines, Limited had kept the No. 1 shaft from flooding in with water. This whole entire procedure was mainly being done in order to allow easy access into the mine workings.
2005 - Optioned to Pacific Comox Resources, Limited
Diamond drilling within this time period had consisted of 5 surface holes totalling 10,000 feet in length. for the most part these explorations procedures were being aimed at testing three different zones known as the North, South, and East. The results from these diamond drill holes are indicated below:
Hole P.C-05-02 on section 10088E had intersected 52 feet from 96 feet grading 0.44% copper and 0.030% Molybdenum.
Hole P.C -05-03 on section 10098E had intersected 47 feet from 181 feet grading 0/45% copper, and 0.047% Molybdenum before intersecting underground workings.
Hole P.C-05-05 on section 10196E had intersected 88 feet from 170 feet grading 0/44% copper, and 0.043% Molybdenum.
Fourteen of the previous holes had also tested the North Zone, the area of the former producing molybdenum open pit at about 1,000 feet north of the former underground copper-Molybdenum Mine. Additionally it was stated that six of the holes had intersected near the surface mineralizations that graded 0.10% Molybdenum, and 0.14% copper per a tonne of ore mined. Two additional holes known as PC-5-15-16 had intersect an average of 0.32% Molybdenum, and 0.22% copper per a tonne over 59 feet.
Geology of New Ryan Lake Mine
Much of the geology rock structure in this area is considered to be precambrain in age. These rock structures are known to consist of fractured, and acid to a basic volcanic complex that's cut out by irregular shapped intrusive bodies of syenite, and diabase. There are also several scattered occurrence of sedimentary rock that are present in some areas.
Keewatin Volcanics: This rock type is mainly considered to be majorly associated with Andesite. Much of this rock type is known to be determined by a mssive, dense, grey-coloured rock. In some places its also known to occur in fracturing, joining, and faulting areas, Other structural formations that are present are know to included Epidote and chloritic alterations that are found in some locations. Grading of the Andesite is known to mainly be formed into acid daetic, and rhyolitic lavas, and are sometimes more basaltic rock types. Some volcanic fragments are also known to be within this property, and geological formation.
Timiskaming Sediments: This rock type is mainly made up of several different occurrances of sedimentary rocks that are present on this property. These geological rock formations are strongly made up of chert, greywacke, and quartsite. A lot of folding, and subsequent igneous activities are known to alter these original sedimentary formations.
Haileyburian Rock: A greenish black diorite is known to form a relatively homogenous mass of igneous rocks that are located on the south western claims of the property. Additionally this rock type had undergone considerable metamorphism that's shown by the chloritication of Ferro magnesian minerals, and also by the presents of epidote along the fracture surfaces.
Algoman Rocks: These acid intrusives are considered to range in composition from syenite, to basic syenite, to syenite porphyry, through to Feldspar Porphyry. Several places are known to be similar to the nearby Algoman exposures that have appearance of a granodiorite
Matachewan Intrusive Rocks: The north-south trending diabase dykes are considered to intrude all other formations on the property. In most cases this rock type is known to be dark greenish black in color, and varies in crystal size from intermediate to very finely crystaline. There is also a considerable amount of Magnetite that is known to be found within this intrusive.