It was within 1936, when the Berens River Mines, Limited was incorporated within July of that year. The company it self had a capitalization of 1,000,000 shares of $1 par value, in which all had been issued. For the most part, the company at the time was under the direction of L. V. Sutton as president, F. M. Connell as Vice President, A. W. Burt as secretary treasurer, Carrol Searls as Assistant Secretary, H. E. Doge as Treasurer, Gus Mrkvicka as assistant treasurer, H. DeWitt Smith and Aileen Ritchie as directors. Most of the property that was acquired by the Berens River Mines, Ltd had included 33 claims within the Favourable Sandy Lake Area, within the Patricia portion of the Kenora District of Ontario, Canada. The prospect at the time was rather located 150 miles north or Red Lake, Ontario, Canada, and was reach by plane from this area or from Winnipeg, Canada.
Mining operations at the Berens River Prospect were first commenced on September, 1936, and camps were being built at the time. Development of the project was first achieved when a prospect shaft was sunk to a depth of 20 feet below the surface by hand methods on claim Pa. 113. This also had resulted in the erection of a mining plant in order to start exploratory work on the Berens River Claims. Much of the plant equipment at the time had included two 90 horsepower Forster. Wheeler Boilers, an Ingersoll Rand Class FR2 10 by 13-inch compressor, and an Ingersoll Rand 8 by 6-inch hoist.
By 1937, the Berens River Mines, Limited had staked a total of 39 claims which were situated 3 ½ miles east of South Trout Lake, which is 8 miles east of Favourable Lake. All freight during this time period of operating the Berens River Mine was rather transported to the mine during September, and October, 1937. Prior to this establishment a tractor road that was 3 ½ miles long had served the mine from the dock on South Trout Lake. Within this time period the company, and it's crew had officially completed the plant, and camp area, which resulted in the installation of mining equipment. Major construction at the time was focus on building the much need structures such as two frame bunk houses, a log cabin, cookery, office, and staff quarters, warehouse, shaft house, a power house, blacksmith shop, sample house, assay office, dry house, powder magazine, cap house, and supply shed. This was also followed by the building of a store house, and saw mill on South Trout Lake. Additions during this time period were also made towards the plant, in which consisted of a twin 200 horsepower Foster, and Wheeler water tube boiler, a 560-cubic foot Canadian Ingersoll Rand Steam Compressor, a 6 by 8-inch single drum steam hoist, and an Ingersoll Rand No. 34 Drill Sharpener.
Further shaft sinking had rather commenced on January, 15, 1937, which was aimed at doing follow ups from surface explorations by trenching, and diamond drilling. It was by April, 26, when the three-compartment vertical shaft was officially sunk to a depth of 400 feet. Some more problems had shortly escalated when a flow of water was encountered, and shaft sinking was discontinued. Within that time period the company had decided to cement the shaft in order to stop the flow of water. As this issue became resolved it was also reported that two levels became cut, and stationed on the mines 250, and 375-foot levels. Sinking at the time was also resumed on September, 17, and the three-compartment vertical shaft was deepened to 515 feet below the surface. A new level was shortly cut on the 500-foot section and lateral work was then commenced.
Level Drifting Crosscutting Raising
250 foot 777 feet 362 feet 84 feet
375 foot 1,370 feet 599 feet 130 feet
500 foot 715 feet 358 feet ----------
Diamond drilling during this time period had amounted to 16,055 feet of surface drilling, and 13,027 feet of underground drilling. It was predicted by the company’s geologists that the ore occur in quartz lenses arrange in porphyry and andesite. For the most part, the vein it self had dip 070 degrees and carried gold, silver, pyrite, and a lead-zinc complex.
Underground development on the Berens River Gold Mine was only accomplish during the first two weeks of January, in 1938. As development progress, a decision was made to prepare, and equip the property for a production of 225 tonnes per day. This would also be followed by the provision of two 1,000 H.P turbines instead of two 800 h.p turbines below the upper falls, and the addition of flotation equipment for the recovery of lead-silver concentrate from the cyanide tailings.
Following this engineering plan, construction supplies, equipment, and operating supplies were purchase, and delivered to Berens River Landing on Lake Winnipeg. With the mining progressing, it was at this time when 275 tonnes of construction equipment, and supplies were flown to the power plant, and mine sites by November, 1, 1938. Much of the remainder of the freight at the time was warehouse at Berens River Landing to await transportation by tractor freight during the winter months. It was within this time period when the main mill building, warehouse, and machine shop became erected, and totally enclosed by 1 sheet of ply. Full completions of these buildings were rather made after the arrival of cement, and other items via tractor freight. Most of the lumber at the time was rather considered to have been sawn in the company's saw mill for the much need buildings.
Electrical power at the time was being done under contract when a dam at the outlet of Wind Lake was almost completed. Engineering plans of the dam had pretty much made it out of clay-fill construction, which was riprapped on the upstream side with rock, and had total volume of approximately 20,000 cubic yards. Other plans at the time were aimed at developing a shortage dam below the outlet of Cellist Lake, and would provide for the storage of 125 square mile feet of water. Some more construction had also followed suit when the major parts of the water cannel, and splitway became added, and the clearing of a transmission line to the mine was completed at a distance of 8.2 miles.
Other construction had also taken place when the Duck River Power plant consisted of two 1,000 H.P Leffel type vertical turbine operating under a 75-foot head, and was directly connect to two 750 K.V.A, 2,300-volt vertical generators. Intentions were also made towards stepping up the power supply by 13,200 volts for transmission of an 8.2-mile power supply to the mine substation. As the power reaches the substation it would then be stepped down to 575 volts for plant usage. Provisions had also been made during this time period for a third unit of 1,000 horsepower for additional power supply was added.
For the most part, underground mining operations would also be supplied by air from a 2,020-cubic foot compressor, and a 565-cubic foot compressor. Much of this air was rather provided by another steam compressor that had converted the air supply to the mine workings. Hoisting during this time period would also be done by a 42 by 30-inch double drum hoist adequate to handle ore from a depth of 1,500 feet. This was also followed by a crushing plant that was once adjacent to the headframe, and would be equipped by a 24 by 15-inch Blake type Jaw Crusher, and a three-foot short head cone crusher. All the ore that is crushed would than be delivered by a 275-foot conveyor belt to a 500-ton fine ore bin housed in a 103 by 155-foot mill building.
Engineering plans at the time had decided to construct the mill as a cyanide plant, followed by flotation of cyanide tailing, after a series of exhaustive tests by the division of ore dressing, and metallurgical works. Before milling, the fine ore would be grounded to 60% minus 200 mesh in a 7 by 8-foot ball mill. Much of the overflow from the Dorr type classifier that’s 5 by 21 feet 8 inches, would go to the two 30 by 12-foot balanced tray thickeners in a circuit with two 28 by22-foot Dorr agitators, and two 16 by 16-foot Wallace Agitators. In this case the pulp would be filtered through an 8 by 14-foot drum filter, and the primary thickener overflow solution would be clarified and precipitated in a Merrill Crowe unit of 1,000 tonnes. At present time, the company had also stated that the gold and silver would be shipped to an eastern refinery for the gold, and silver content. Prior to this, the cyanide tailings would be re-treated within four 56-inch flotation machines to recover a high-grade silver lead-product. No efforts at the time were being done in order to recover the zinc concentrates from the tailings, and ore.
A government aid program was also made by the Manitoba, and Dominion Governments in order to fund the development of a road from Berens River Landing, Lake Winnipeg to the mine site. For the most part, this road was nearly completed by October, and the remainder would be completed during the winter months.
Engineering plans at the time were being aimed at completing the mill, and equipment for production as it was proceeded within the first eight months of 1939. By this time the company had dewatered the shaft operation by the use of steam power. It was also at this point in time when hydro electrical power was delivered to the property on August, 20, 1939. Stoping operations at the time were commenced shortly after, and the mill had begun production on September, 1939. A new level had also been cut on the 125-foot section which was directly below the collar of the main shaft operation. Lateral development on this level had rather amounted to 517 feet of drifting, and crosscutting, and the ore developed was closely checked by preliminary diamond drilling. This exploratory stage had also resulted in substantial areas lying to the east, and west of present workings on this level. As expansions were made it was also reported that the remainder development of the mine consisted of drifting, crosscutting, or raising on ore exposures previously developed. Stoping within the underground working was mainly confined to the shrinkage and open stope methods of the Berens River Project. It was also proven that these methods had work very well on the relatively short ore blocks between the faults, and at the same time did not permit the broken ore to be extremely oxidized. Most of this was rather a concern as the metallurgical unit had necessitated to keep the oxidation of broken ore minimum. A diamond drill was also in use in order to prospect the stope wall for possible splits, parallel lenses, or faulted segments.
Possible ore reserves within the Berens River Mine had indicated 318,000 tonnes after dilution to the 560-foot horizon with a width of 7.8 feet, and containing 0.31 ounces of gold, and 10.4 ounces of silver per tonne. It was during the operating year of 1939, when 19,217 tonnes of ore were mined from known ore bodies, with an average assay grade of 0.33 ounces of gold, and 14.1 ounces of silver per ton. From this production, the company had indicated to the end of 1939, that the Berens River Mine had 300,000 tonnes of indicated ore reserves. Within this time period the company had well equipped its milling facility to handle a production of 225 to 250 tonnes of ore per day. There was also a 2,000-horsepower hydro electrical plant that became erected on the Duck River at the outlet of North Wind Lake. Operations of this newly developed plant had commenced on August, 29th, 1939, and had operated at satisfactory results without interruption.
Further statements stated that the mining plant had included a 42 by 30-inch double drum electric hoist, and a 2,020-cubic foot compressor, and a 556-cubic foot compressor that was electrically driven. Prior to this, the head-frame was 80 feet in height, and constructed of sawn timber that was reinforced by steel plates, and rods.
It was also at this point in time when crusher plant that was adjacent to the head-frame had consisted 23 by 15-inch Black Jaw Crusher, a 3-foot Symons Short head cone crusher, and auxiliary equipment. The crushed ore that became crush by the crusher plant was then delivered to a 500-ton fine ore bin at the head end of the milling facility. From here, the fine ore was then grounded in a 7 by 8-foot ball mill that was in closed with a circuit and an F Dorr Classifier, 5 by 25 feet 6-inches. Much of the classifier overflow is then agitated in two 16 by 16-foot Wallace agitators, then thickened in a 30 by 12-foot balanced tray thickener. All the primary overflow is then processed through a 1,000 tonne Merrill Crowe Precipitation plant, and the undeflow to a secondary agitator in two 28 by 22-foot Dorr Agitators. Its here that the pulp is well washed in a 30 by 12-foot tray thickener, and then filtered through an 8 by 14-foot drum filter. From here the filter tailings become retreated in four 56-inch flotation machines in order to recover a silver-lead concentrate. For the most part, the gold and silver that’s produce from the precipitation of the Merrill Crown Precipitation unit become shipped, and sold to the Eastern Refinery. Most of the operation supplies within this time period were also delivered by a water road that connected the mine site with the Berens River Landing in Manitoba. Passengers, cyanide precipitates, and express was rather handled by airplane between the mine site, and Red Lake, Ontario, Canada, or Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba, Canada.
Milling operations at the Berens River Property had started September, 8th, 1939, and 19,217 tonnes of ore became milled. Prior to milling the average assays of mill heads including low grade material used for tuning up the mill, was 0.33 ounces of gold, and 14.1 ounces of silver per tonne. There was also an average recovery from the cyanide section during November, and December which was 96% of gold, and 68.6% of silver. An average recovery within the flotation section, in addition to the above, was 0.9% of the gold, 10.8% of the silver, and 53% of the lead, making a combined gold recovery of 98.9%, and a combined silver recovery of 79.4%. It was also within this time period when the average mill heads of lead recovery had average 1.95%. From all recoveries made, the on-site milling facility had recovered 5,775 ounces of gold, and 172,388 ounces of silver. This had rather represented an average recovery of 0.301 ounces of gold, and 8.97 ounces of silver per tonne milled. In addition to this, a substantial amount of gold, and silver was also tied up within the mill circuit at the time. A total of 184 dry tonnes of concentrate was also recovered from the flotation section that average 0.34 ounces of gold, 142 ounces of silver, and 56.9% lead.
Levels Drifting Crosscutting Raising
125 foot 414 feet 103 feet 186 feet
250 foot 354 feet ------------------ 78 feet
375 foot 199 feet 75 feet 310 feet
500 foot ----------- ------------------ ------------
During the operating year of 1940, the company had continued to sink the main shaft to a depth of 973 feet below the surface. It was also within this time period that new levels became cut, and station on the mines 650, 800, and 950-foot horizons. Development at the time was also focus on cutting a loading pocket on the 875-foot horizon within the shaft, and connecting ore passes were driven to the 800- and 650-foot levels. Within this time period, shaft crosscuts were also completed on the 650, 800, and 950-foot level for a total of 632 feet, and 196 feet of drifting was done on these levels. No mineralization of commercial grade was cut within any of these crosscuts, and the eastward plunge of the ore lenses on the upper levels had indicated that the ore area was probably to the east of the shaft crosscuts. Further so the development and stoping that was completed within and above the 125-foot horizon was very disappointing as to tonnage. Most of this was cause due to the actual stoping of the west ore shoot that showed average stope widths of 6 feet as compared with the average width of 15 feet indicated by 8 drill holes, which cut the orebody 30 feet below the surface over a length of 340 feet. Upon examinations from the actual knowledge obtained from stoping operation of the irregularities and fault gaps in the Berens River ore-body. It was revealed that the total estimation of ore reserves to the end of December, 31, 1940, had estimated 110,000 tonnes, averaging 0.31 ounces gold, and 10.4 ounces of silver per tonne. There was also no estimation made by the year end in regards to ore reserves below the 560-foot horizon of the Berens River Sulphide Mine.
Exploratory work within 1940, was conducted to adjacent claims that were located north of the present main zone that was being mined. Further explorations were followed by significant trenching, and mapping within that year of operating. This whole entire exploration phase had additionally uncovered three zones known as the No. 2, 3, and 4 mineralized zones. In addition to this, it was also stated that significant encouragement was found to commence exploratory work on these zones. It was later stated that the company had decided to undergo follow up drilling on these newly discovered zones within 1941. Most of the drilling phase that was being planned at the time would consisted of drill core lengths ranging from 10,000 to 15,000 feet.
Within 1940, the Berens River Mines, Ltd had process a total of 82,446 tonnes of ore from their mining project. Milling at the time was exceeding an output of 225-tonnes per day, containing a mill head assay of 0.315 ounces of gold, 15.1 ounces of silver, and 1.34% Lead per tonne. During 1940, the average recovery within the cyanide section was reported to have an extraction of 94.64% of the gold, and 69.4% of all the silver bullion produce. It was also reported that the recoveries in the flotation section were 1.02% of gold, 12.76% of silver, and 46% of lead per tonne. From all production, this had rather given a combined mill recovery rate of 95.66% of the gold, 82.16% of the silver, and 46% of lead in mill heads. Prior to milling, it was also within this time period when starch was introduced to the cyanide section as a settling agent in combination with lime. This had rather gave encouraging improvements in the recovery of silver ore from the Berens River Mine Project. Additions were also being planned when another cell would be added to the flotation circuit in order to increase the lead concentrates, and to decrease the tailing losses. Production and recovery from the cyanide precipitation had produce 24,550 ounces of gold, and 864,628 ounces of silver. More recoveries were also made from the flotation Concentrates that produce 254 ounces of gold, 154,683 ounces of silver, and 969,110 lbs of lead. From all recoveries that year, the mine had produce 24,804 ounces of gold, 919,491 ounces of silver, and 969,110 lbs. of lead. Production that came from the flotation concentrates had consisted of 952 tonnes, assaying 0.28 ounces gold, 167 ounces of silver, and 54.3% Lead per tonne. There were also 142 tonnes of this production that became delivered to the smelter, and the remainder would be shipped in 1941.
Other construction at the time was also aimed at building a new plant, and township with a few additional house for employees. This was also followed by other technology changes when automatic controlled equipment was installed, and a splitway retaining was built at the Duck River Power Plant. Further installations also became made when a 300-gallon per minute turbine pump, and 100 k.v.a transformer was installed at the setting of Net Creek for domestic water supply. Prior to this, there was also a Sturtevant dust collector installed in the crushing plant, and a 10 by 7-inch compressor was added to the mill. Even more additions were made when power, and waterlines were connected with the town-site that consisted of a mangers residence, 8 sweet apartment houses, company store, and a refrigeration plant. Within this time period, the Duck River Power Plant had ran smoothly at a percentage rate of 80% of its rated 2,000 horsepower capacity.
Within 1941, the No. 1 three compartment Shaft operation was sunk to a total depth of 1,492 feet, and levels were cut and establish at depths of 1,100, 1,250, and the 1,400-foot horizon. As development progress, a loading pocket was the cut on the mines 1,450-foot level to continue mining operations at deeper levels. Ore reserves to the 950-foot horizon had rather estimated at 117,00 tonnes, containing 0.39 ounces of gold (Au), and 12.3 ounces of silver (Ag) per tonne of ore. At the time, there was rather not enough development work done in order to indicate accurate estimations on ore-reserves below the 950-foot level. Development work on the 950-foot level had rather indicated the downward continuation of the ore-body that was being further examined. Diamond Drilling amounted to 29 surface holes totalling 12,879 feet, and 183 underground holes, totalling 13,001 feet in length.
Explorations on the newly establish 2, 3 and 4 zones had continued within this year as 12,859 feet diamond drilling was done. It was rather stated that the eastern extension of Zone No. 3 had encountered a shear zone at a distance of 2,000 feet north of the No. 1 Main Zone. At the time, no commercial ore-shoots were uncovered from this drilling program, but this had warranted further exploratory work from underground. Most of this was caused due to the fact that the shear zone it self had a strong persistence of width, length, and depth.
It was also within this time period when the mill had process a total of 86.373 tonnes of ore from the Berens River Mine. Milling within this time period was achieved at a daily production rate of 236.3 tonnes of ore per day, in which contained 0.336 ounces of gold, 15.99 ounces of silver, and 1,4% of lead. During this time, the total recoveries of extraction within the cyanide were 95,23% gold, and 74.14% silver. Another recovery was also made from the flotation section that amounted to 95.72% gold, 11.80% silver, and 49.18% lead. Most of these improvements were made in regards to adding starch to the cyanide circuit, and by improving flotation equipment. Other installations of ore sorting equipment, and a second filter had also made improvements to the mill efficiency. Recoveries made from the mill had amounted to 27,606 ounces of gold, and 1,020,186 ounces of silver from the cyanide Precipitation. There was also another 175 ounces of gold, 161,811 ounces of silver, and 1,170,053 lbs of lead recovered from flotation concentrates.
Further expanding had commence in 1942, when the company had sunk the three-compartment vertical shaft to a depth of 1,502 feet. No additional levels were developed during this time period as the shaft deepening was completed by the end of December, 1942. Within 1942, the company, and its crew were well off with this project when favourable ore was encountered from developing the 1,100, and 1,250-foot levels. Within this time period there was also a slight increase in ore reserves down to the 1,400-foot level that indicated 124,700 tonnes containing 0.35 ounces of gold, and 10.1 ounces of silver. Exploratory work at the time was rather confined to further examining the claims in the district that resulted in no encouraging results. Diamond drilling within the operating year of 1942, had rather consisted of 116 underground holes, totalling 7,482 feet in length.
Production from the Berens River Mine Project had amounted to 86,850 tonnes of ore, grading 0.357 ounces of gold (Au), and 10.96-ounce silver (Ag) per tonne. Extraction recoveries within the cyanide circuit were 96.49% gold, and 74% Silver. This was also followed by extraction recoveries in the flotation circuit that amounted to 96.32% gold (Au), and 11.69% silver (Ag). Further additions had also included a new filter, and reagents that had rather improved control, and milling improvements. Total recoveries from the cyanide precipitation were 29,592 ounces of gold, and 702,910 ounces of silver. This had also included flotation concentrates that produce 72 ounces of gold, and 121,593 ounces of silver. From all recoveries, the on-site mill had recovered 29,688 ounces of gold, and 824,504 ounces of silver.
Construction at the time was followed by the erection of a new canteen, and the former canteen became converted into a dormitory. Other installations had included a 60 by 54-inch double drum Norburg Hoist, and a 1,000-cubic foot Canadian Ingersoll Rand Compressor. A contract was also granted to Metals Reserve Company for the production of zinc concentrates, and a Zinc Flotation Plant was officially started.
As development had progressed the three compartment vertical shaft was sunk to further depths of 1,989 feet below the surface. New levels within 1943, became establish at depths of 1,550, 1,700, and 1,850-foot sections of the Berens River Project. Within that year development was undertaken on the 1,400-foot level of the No. 1 Zone, which proved disappointing. It was rather stoping operation that were done above the 1,400-foot level in which had proved better ore, and grades then previously mined. Further development which was completed on the 1,550-foot level had also showed better ore, and improvements then that on the 1,400-foot horizon. Most of this ore was taken from the same section that had two shoots which average 0.29 ounces gold, and 10.60 ounces of silver per tonne. Development in 1943, had proven that these two ore shoots had an average width of 8.1 feet for length of 168 feet.
The company within this time period had also focus on driving a crosscut for approximately 1,700 feet north from the shaft to develop the No. 3 Zone on the 1,550-foot level. Most of the whole entire zone was rather explored by surface drilling in 1942 to a depth of 850 feet. Much of the heading to the crosscut at the years end had advanced 900 feet, and cut two narrow veins which carried low gold, and silver values at the time.
It was also during that time period when ore reserves had majorly decreased as mined out ore was not replace. Most of this was caused due to the lack of development caused by manpower shortage, and partly to disappointing development results on the 1,400-foot level. By the end of December, 1943, the Berens River Mine had an estimated ore reserve at 53,030 tonnes, containing 0.31 ounces gold(Au), and 10.65 ounces of silver (Ag).
The on-site concentration mill at the time had process 53,255 tonnes of ore, at an average of 145.9 tonnes per day. Within this time period it was rather reported that mill head assays had ran at 0.313 ounces of gold (Au), and 9.97 ounces of silver (Ag). Metal recoveries within the cyanide precipitates had rather average 97.02% gold, and 80.16% Silver Much of the flotation concentrates had also a recovery of 97.30% gold, and 8.35% silver bullion. Total recoveries from the cyanide precipitates had recovered 16,080 ounces of gold, and 429,565 ounces of silver. This was also followed by flotation concentrates which produce 22 ounces of gold, and 39,002 ounces of silver.
Construction during the operating year of 1943 had enlarge the compressor and hoist room, a tractor garage was built, and isolation ward was added to the hospital. It also within 1943, when the zinc plant was completed, and place into operation on May, 1943. Additional equipment was also added that included a 10 by 10-foot Denver Wallace Low Head Super agitator, a 10-cell Denver Sub A Flotation Machine, with a capacity of 200 to 250 tons per day, a 9 by 11-foot Denver Thickener, with a tank and 2-inch diaphragm pump, and a 6 by 4-foot Eimco Drum Filter.
Even more expanding had taken place within this time period when a three compartment, vertical winze was collared on the 1,700-foot level. It was at this point in time when the internal winze was sunk down to the depth of 475 feet, and had reach a total depth of 2,175-feet below the surface. This resulted in the cutting of new levels that were establish at 2,000 and 2,150 feet below the surface. It had rather resulted in the cutting of an ore and waste pocket on he mines 1,700-foot level of the Berens Rive Sulphide Mine. A huge development program was also taking place when the company had wanted to increase ore reserves within the Berens River Project. Development at the time had constituted 23.5% of the total underground lateral work, and 22% of the total diamond drilling footage. Most of this became cause due to a labour shortage and precautions were taken to maintain production. This included motor haulage which was substituted for hand tramming, an additional shovel loader was purchased, two small air double drum slusher hoists became used for sub-level mucking, and a diamond drill blast hole method was establish for benching narrow ore widths of 6 feet
It was by 1943, when the crosscut that was previously driven became completed, and a limited amount of drifting was done on the 1,550-foot horizon. Each of the vein zones which were cut had a width of 20 feet that carried spotty values below ore grade. Other development at the time was also focus on the No. 1 Zone that was opened up on two levels, the 1,700 and the 1,850-foot level. For the most part, the 1,700-foot level had rather showed a grade of 0.25 ounces of gold, and 10.0 ounces of silver over an ore area almost equal to that of the 250-foot level. Development work that was performed on the 1,850-foot level was rather discouraging in gold values due to the ore zone diminishing in size against a vertical strike fault. Exploratory work within 1944, had rather continued eastward on the 1,850-foot level of the Berens River Mine. Diamond drilling within 1944, had amounted to 181 underground holes, totalling 23,090 feet in length.
Ore reserves within the Berens River Project had rather increased to 112,500 tonnes containing 0.25 ounces of gold (Au), and 10.0 ounces of silver (Ag) per tonne. About 80,000 tonnes of this ore was rather in blocks between the 1,400, and the 1,850-foot level, with stope development partially completed.
Milling within this time period had process 40,436 tonnes of ore for an average daily capacity of 110 tonnes. Mill heads within during 1944, had an average grade of 0.25 ounces of gold (Au), and 8.43 ounces of silver (Ag) per tonne of ore. A total of 10,000 tonnes of ore was rather from development, and stope development that was very low in grade. It was also within that year when the extraction recoveries of gold were at 98.28%, and the silver recovered was at 91.18%. From all processing, the milling facility had produce 10,031 ounces of gold (Au), 316,600 ounces of silver (Ag), 506,231 lbs of lead(Pd), and 460,610 lbs of zine (Zn).
Mining operation within 1945, had continued onward when the internal winze shaft collared on the 1,700-foot level was sunk to even greater depths of 2,324 feet. This sinking phase had resulted in the establishment of new mining level that was cut on the 2,300-foot level. Lateral development that was achieved had consisted of 2,306 feet of drifting, 1,768 feet of crosscutting, and 595 feet of raising. The total development footage by the end of December, 1945, was 17,214 feet of drifting, 11,317 feet of crosscutting, and 7,196 feet of raising. Within this time period the company had rather hoisted a total of 72,880 tonnes, which had an average of 6,073 tonnes per month. From this tonnage a total of 29,500 tonnes was mined by diamond drilling blast hole benching methods at considerable saving in man power, and cost. It had rather resulted in 39,834 feet of blast hole drilling that was done within the Berens River Mine Project. No additional ore reserves were discovered within this time period, and the total ore reserves to date were 39,000 tonnes containing 0.25 ounces of gold, and 10.0 ounces of silver per tonne. Diamond drilling had consisted of 20 surface holes, totalling 7,648 feet, and 119 underground holes, totalling 13,639 feet in length.
Metal recoveries within the Berens River Mine Project were rather down by 97.40% gold, and 90.23% silver. From all recoveries, the mill had additionally recovered 17,805 ounces of gold, 684,134 ounces of silver, 668,762 lbs of lead, and 237,790 lbs of zinc. Milling within this time period had rather processed a total of 72,880 tonnes of ore containing 0.25 ounces of gold, and 10.5 ounces of silver per tonne.
During 1946, the company and its crew of workers had continued sinking the three-compartment vertical winze to a depth of 2,761 feet below the surface. As development, and sinking had progressed the winze had new levels establish at depths of 2,500 and 2,700 feet below the surface. Lateral development completed within the underground working amounted to 1,835 feet of drifting, 1,986 feet of crosscutting, and 1,163 feet of raising. The total development footage for the year ending on December, 1946, was 19,049 feet of drifting, 13,303 feet of crosscutting, and 8,359 feet of raising. Ore reserves within that year had average 75,430 tonnes of ore containing 0.25 ounces of gold, and 12.1 ounces of silver. Most of the ore reserves within the Berens River Project were establish from the 1,850-foot level down to the 2,700 feet foot level. A considerable amount of ore reserves that totalled 50,730 tonnes was within the 2,700-foot level of the Berens River Project.
Milling that was done within 1946, had amounted to 41,925 tonnes of ore, in which the mill was shut down on December, 1st, 1946, due to the lack of development feed. Mill heads within this time period of operating had average 0.23 ounces of gold, and 12.3 ounces of silver per tonne. In total recoveries, the mine had produce 9,708 ounces of gold (Au), 471,575 ounces of silver (Ag), 261,956 lbs of lead (Pb), and 42,625 lbs of zinc (Zn).
Mining operations at the Berens River Project continued throughout the year, and the mill had operated from June, 1st to December, 31st, 1947. It was also within this time period when the three-compartment internal winze shaft was further sunk to a depth of 3,246 feet below the surface. From this development, the internal winze rather had three new levels cut, and stationed at depth of 2,850, 3,025, and 3,200-foot horizons. Other plans at the time were aimed at sinking a new vertical three-compartment shaft to the depth of 511 feet on the No. 3 Zone by the end of 1947. Lateral development within the mine consisted of 2,106 feet of drifting, 2,040 feet of crosscutting, and 1,167 feet of raising. The total development footage had amounted to 21.155 feet of drifting, 15,343 feet of crosscutting, and 9,526 feet of raising. Diamond drilling within that year had amounted to 21 surface holes, totalling 5,430 feet, and 91 underground holes, totalling 6,759 feet in length. Ore reserves by the end of 1947, were mainly base on diamond drilling below the 2,700-foot level, that had been estimated at 50,730 feet containing 0.28 ounces gold, and 15.5 ounces of silver. Drill results within this time period were not verified, and after mining 10,660 tonnes of ore containing 0.22 ounces of (Au), and 10.0 ounces of (Ag), the remaining ore reserve was estimated at 30,000 tonnes, grading 0.22 ounces of gold, and 10.0 ounces of silver. Development that was done on the No. 3 Zone did not add to the ore reserve calculation as it wasn’t sufficiently advanced. Even further development work on the 3,025-foot level was rather discouraging, and stope development or grade were not like anticipated by this company.
Milling operations that took place from June, 1st, to December, 1st, 1947, had treated 27,305 tonnes with mill heads averaging 0.20 ounces Au, and 9.7 ounces Ag. Metal recoveries within this time period were 96.27% of gold, and 89.77% of silver recoveries. From all production, the mill had recovered 5,385 ounces of gold, 242,245 ounces of silver, and 195,862 lbs of lead in 1947.
It was in 1948, when mining and milling operations were rather carried out from January, 1st to August, 31st, and all operations were suspended, and the complete plant was dismantled. Lateral development that became completed had amounted to 1,332 feet of drifting, 323 feet of crosscutting, and 628 feet of raising. This had given the mine a total development footage of 22,487 feet of drifting, 15,666 feet of crosscutting, and 10,154 feet of raising. Diamond drilling within this time period had amounted to 33 underground holes, totalling 3,369 feet in length. A total of 49,930 tonnes was milled within 1947, which recovered 10,274 ounces of gold, and 402,859 ounces of silver. This resulted in a total reserve calculation of 50,640 tonnes of ore grading 0.21 ounces of gold, and 10.2 ounces of silver per tonne.