Before Kaladar, Ontario, Canada became a settlement on its own, it was commonly known to be apart of Kaladar and Kennebec Townships. Kaladar, Ontario, Canada was first known to be also associated with the Bay of Quinte of Eastern, Ontario, from which section the first settlers resided in these township. It was in 1822 and 1824, when the boundaries of Kaladar and Kennebec Townships, had been first surveyed. Most of the first settlers to area were also known to have been accompanied by loggers of the forestry industry.
Flinton at the time was also the oldest community in Kaladar Township, that was developed around a mill built on the Skootamatta River by Hon. William Flint. During this time period the area was actually first known as Flint’s Mill that was first reached in the early days by a logging trail from Bridgewater. Bridgewater was actually the first of many settlements to become populated and it would later change to Actinolite, Ontario, Canada.
It was during the building of the Addington or Perry Road that had traveled through Kaladar Township into the hinterland to the north. The road way was rather a very important history of this area that was built and completed by E. Perry in 1856. Much of the township during this time period was mainly in habited by the lumberman who became the first residence to reside here. With the construction of this road complete it had marked the major movement of settlers who came to this area.
A small village known as North Brook was also originally known as Dunham’s Corners, which was later named to Kaladar. When the Toronto-Ottawa Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway was in built in 1884, Kaladar became the name of the station that was 7 miles south of the Village. It was rather known as Springbrook before being renamed into North Brook within the late 1800’s.
It was also the first settlers of Kennebec Township that had came up the Salmon River in boats before any roads were built. Much of the settlement was also known to have been in vicinity of Bull and Buck Lakes. At a later time period a grist mill was established at Big Clear Lake, that was a few miles to the east and became the nucleus of what is now the Village of Arden.
Logging operations were also continuous in the area of Kaladar-Kennebec Areas for a long period after settlement. Most of the logging operations had soon shortly after depleted much of the forests during the beginning of the present century, and farming was now the main secondary industry. It was at the time when the village of North Brook and Flinton In Kaladar Township and Arden in Kennebec Township became commercial centers for the farming communities. A small section of scattered areas became the only portion of land that was considered suitable for the agricultural industry. At the time, most of the sections which were fairly rocky had rather been the center of reforestation, which was unsuitable for farming. Kaladar, Ontario, Canada is known to have also play another important roll for the tourist industry that has also contributed to the towns economy. Tourism within Kaladar became a rapid growing economy that was increased notably since the completion of the Peterborough-Perth section of Highway 7.
Prospecting along with other mining activities was also considered to have been carried on from time to time in Kaladar and Kennebec Townships for more than half a century. The area is largely localized with scattered abandoned working in the form of pits and trenches, which are evidence of the pioneer miners and prospectors. The small town of Actinolite was actually given the name prior to mining of Actinolite in the western part of Kaladar Township and transported by wagon to Kaladar Station for shipment. Kaladar had later revived with small mining productions of quartz, feldspar, crystalline limestone, and later gold. Prospecting at the time had soon led to several gold discoveries in the northern parts of both Kaladar and Kennebec Townships. Most of the work on these showings was also considered to have been very limited and is still considered the least explored area in Ontario, Canada.
The only property at this time which received a lot of attention towards exploration and development was the Addington Gold Mine. Gold at the time was rather reported to have been discovered in outcroppings that warranted underground development. This resulted in building the Golden Fleece Mine before it was renamed to the Addington Mine and had been located between Flinton and North Brook in Kaladar Township. Much of the discovery of gold played an important roll in the economy of Kaladar that was first discovered in 1881, which was known as the Golden Fleece. It was during 1936, when another discovery of gold in the northern part of Kennebec Township had warranted a visit by the provincial geologist known as Mr. Richaby.
During 1939, another discovery of visible gold was made on Lot. 23, Concession V, of Kaladar Township, by Willfred Lessard, of Flinton, Ontario, Canada. It was reported that no work had been partially done on his property by 1939, as efforts were being made on another property in Kaladar Township. Most of the mining activity in Kennebec Township was largely confined to surface work on a gold showing carried out by Dome Mines, Limited and by the Gold Base Mining Corporation, Limited. This also resulted in a few prospectors that were largely active in Kaladar and Kennebec Townships during this time period. Prospecting in 1939, was also confined to claim staking in the norther part of each township. Other major downfalls would occur in 1939, when the outbreak of World War 2 had ensued lack of funding for exploration purposes, and prospecting activities that were dormant in 1940 and 1941.
Alexander Murray of the Geological Survey of Canada, was the first government geologist to work in the area. In the summer of 1852, Murray, under the direction of William Logan, then director of the Geological Survey of Canada, examined an area north of Lake Ontario, extending from Kingston to Lake Simcoe. His main duties at the time were carried out by making parallel traverses northward from Lake Ontario to the limit of the Township that had been surveyed.
In 1868, the Geological Survey of Canada had additionally published a geological map of part of Eastern, Ontario, Canada. This at the time had also included sections of both Kaladar and Kennebec Townships. It was also at this time when the work had been the first geological mapping to have commence in those townships and was base on geological surveys by H. G. Vennor.
Kaladar, Ontario, Canada to this day is known to mainly rely on the tourism, agricultural, and forestry with small lumber mills that are privately owned, No recent explorations have taken place in the area since the time of 1980, when E and B Explorations Incorporated was testing the Addington Gold Mine, which resulted in encouraging results. The Railway station is also known to an important history of the town that has been a major contribution towards the railway industry.
Resources: Feldspar, quartz, Actinolite, Gold, Silver, Copper, Iron
Economy: Agriculture, Tourism
Accommodation: Hotels, Motels, Campgrounds