Gold was discovered on Lot. 25, within Concession V, of Madoc Township, and would become known as the St Joe Gold Mine. The main vein here is known to strike east-west, and a shaft at one point in time had reach a depth of 30 feet on the vein. Further prospecting had also taken place when an open-cut was put down on the vein and some 300 tonnes of ore became mined. Assays which were taken in 1898, had ranged from $2 to $60 in gold per tonne of ore that was mined.