St. Chareles Iron Mine (AKA Coe Iron Mine, Aka Coe Mine, Aka Eldorado Copper Mine)
Much 0f this whole discovery was first taken by the Anglo- American Iron Company, who would end up giving a optional lease to Stephen Wellington, Almost all this engineering had taken place in 1901, when ten hard working men had become employed by Wellington. Before this had all happened, the Iron mine at the time had significant amount of work done for the extraction of hematite processing. Nevertheless, this whole operation was rather consisting of a 300 foot open-cut mining method to extract this rich hematite. All of this work had first started by the company in 1900, when the mine was owned and operated by Anglo-American Iron Company, who called this mine the St. Charles Iron Mine. Ore production from the mine during 1900, had shipped 3,000 tons of ore that had average 57 to 60% of Fe, and 0.5 to 1 % of S.
Stephen Wellington had obtained a lease from the Anglo-American Iron Company for a royalty of the processed silver. He him self would once again change the name of the mine to the Coe Hill Iron Mine. The workings at the time had become abandoned when Wellington had started developing another pit operation, which was located 25 feet to the west of the first open cut operation. This pit was known to have been engineered to about 10 feet at the time, that was known to have been 10 by 8 feet in length. All of this had happened when Stephen Wellington had continued the ore deposit further as it was known to have carried on further within the rock. Wellington was also developing another ore body which was 25 feet west from his original development. His new development had been mainly engineered to 40 feet long by 10 feet wide, and a shallow shaft was sunken to a depth of 10 feet, where massive hematite was reported to be mixed in with Diorite at the base of the floor in 1901. Further development of the Coe Iron Mine had continued 50 feet to the west where an open pit mining operation was being developed from a shallow 15 foot shaft, but no work was taking progress during this engineering plan. Stephen Wellington had also further developed this mine when another stripping procedure was done on an outcropping that was designed for future development. During this time period, the system of raising this ore from the pit was adapted by Derrick and Horse whim, that took this ore to the platform, where it was then taken 1 kilometer down the road to nearest railway for shipment. The Coe Iron Mine was also operated during the day time hours as this project wasn't operated on a 24/7 basis and all the ore was said to have been removed by hand-drilling. Wellington at the time had also not stored the dynamite properly, so a warning was given to Wellington to design a proper Dynamite Magazine, which was to be developed to commence safer thawing when the dynamite was frozen. Over 10,000 tons of Magnetite was said to have also been shipped by Mr. S. Wellington during his few months of operating the mine.
The Coe Iron Mine was commonly considered to have been located one-half miles west of the small mining settlement of Eldorado, Ontario, Canada. Another change would occur on the property when the mine was officially purchased by William Coe, of Madoc, Ontario Canada. Mr. Coe had soon other plans when he decided to incorporate a new mine name for the mine, which was to be the Coe Mine. As new ownership was taken, A.W Coe had now commence continuous operations in extracting and stock piling the ore without shipping it at the time.
Most of the working had also taken place on three different open cuts which had continued to the west on an empty lot at the time. This was reported to have been found on the claims boundary line that had cut across this deposit. Construction on the East Pit was also commenced when Mr. Coe, had started expanding this operation that had future plans of developing this pit to 45 feet and had also designed it to be 60 by 50 feet wide. Much of the Central working was also commencing further production when it was constructed to 46 by 25 feet wide, and 45 feet deep as originally planed by the owner in 1901. The second last pit that was to the west of the central working had been engineered to be 20 by 15 feet, and 10 feet deep. Another Pit known as the Empty Pit, was strongly known to have been 60 feet long by 8 feet wide, and 45 feet deep. Most of the work on the Empty Pit was said to have first started development during the winter season of 1900 to 1901, when the mine was closed after producing a huge amount of ore.
Another attempt at getting this mine operational was made in 1901, when the Medina Gold Mining Company had opened the previous mine workings again. The Coe or Moore mines soon had became re-named to the Eldorado Copper Mine, as the mine was being in production for the extraction of Copper. Further development had included the sinking of a shaft which was sunken to the bottom of the 75 pit, and a smelter was erected by the tailing piles, where slag was continuously dump from this facility that has stained the hard solid rock. All work by the Medina Gold Mining Company had ceased in 1903.
Ownership was once again change in 1907, when the mine was claimed under the Ontario Copper Company but was shortly after abandoned again. Further exploration on the mining zone was conducted by the Picton Uranium Mines Limited who had started dewatering the shaft to see what could be uncovered from this deposit zone. Some other explorations had soon taken place throughout the years but the mine was never re-opened again as it was proven to be unworthy in developing. The Eldorado Copper Mine was renamed four times before it was given the name, the Eldorado Copper Mine. All these changes had first started from the St. Charles Mine, to the Coe Iron Mine, to the Coe Mine, and then the Eldorado Copper Mine. The mine site is also known to contain several of the commodities that include Cobalt, Iron, Nickel, Silver, and Gold. While the Primary Commodity was mainly known for extracting a rich copper deposit from this location.
Private Property, No Trespassing, under watch by cams. To gain access you have to have special permission from Kim who charges $20 per person. The Richardson Farm House can be reached at 5 McCann Crescent, where permission is now granted to visitors who wish to explore the remains of the old gold mine.