The No. 1 Shaft is the most extensive shaft within the Bartlett Silver Property, and was sunken on Claim H.F.222. Much of the No, 1 shaft operation is within the lower part of the Nipissing Diabase Sill that's situated 500 feet west of an outcrop of underlying quartzite, which dips 45 degrees west. The whole entire No. 1 shaft operation is 300 feet deep with levels at 100, 200, and 300 feet, and has a total lateral development of 1,200 feet. Development was first started on a high-grade ore-shoot that was located on the 100 foot level of No. 1 shaft, and had only extended down to 25 feet. The ore within the underground workings was reported to have been massive smaltite with native silver in calcite that was 2 to 3 inches in width. Early surface explorations resulted in several open cuts that were developed southwestward from the No. 1 shaft, which exposed a number of lenses of ore for over distance of 300 feet. It was stated that the ore was also associated with calcite, but had occurred within mineral lenses occurring in aplite dikes along in which the open cut was made. Much of the Aplite and diabase walls are considered to be very well fractured in places which contain sheets and scales of native silver. In some places it was observed that the mine also contained copper-pyrites. All the high-grade ore that came from this mine was associated with Native Silver in Smaltite, and argentite. Almost all the ore which became shipped from the Bartlett Property was taken from open-cuts.
1908-1909- Bartlett Mining Company
The Bartlett Silver Mine was first discovered in 1908, following the discovery of a quartz calcite vein within the lower part of the Nipissing Diabase sill. Development on the property was first commenced in 1909, when the No. 1 shaft was sunken to a depth of 115 feet below the surface. This resulted in cutting a level on the 115 foot section of the Bartlett Silver Mine project. At the time it was rather stated that cross-cuts became driven for a distance of 135 feet to the north, and 135 feet to the south.
Other development during that time period was aimed at sinking the No. 2 shaft that was situated 1,000 feet southwest of the No. 1 shaft. In addition to this, the No. 2 shaft was also sunken to a depth of 115 feet below the surface, which resulted in some drifting. Mining operations were rather continued till the latter part of the year when they became ceased due to financial difficulties. Power at the time was taken from a plant that consist of two 80 H.P Boilers, a 12 drill compressor, and a hoist.
1912 - Scottish Nigeria, Limited
Mining operations were once again resumed at the Barrel Mine by a new company who became known as the Scottish Nigeria, Limited. It was at this time when the company had dewatered the shaft, and reconditioned the underground workings with a few miners at the time. But shortly after the company had also folded from this project by the end of that year.
1917 - Crews-McFarlen Mining Company, Limited
The Bartlett Silver Property became purchase by Crews-McFarlan Mining Company, Limited in 1917. Much of the Bartlett Mine Property was considered to be also located in Milner Township, and had comprised of 132 acres. Almost all the workforce from the Hewitt Lake Silver Property had became transferred in order to commence mining operations. It was by July, 15, 1917, when active development of the property had commence by dewatering both shafts, re-timbering them, and resuming further sinking phases on the No. 1 and 2 shafts.
1918- Crews-McFarlen Mining Company, Limited
Active development on this property had continued to take place throughout the year as the No. 1 shaft became sunken further. It was reported that the company had additionally continued sinking the shaft to a depth of 300 feet below the surface. The No. 2 shaft at the time was only 115 feet deep with on level establish on the mines 100 foot section. By this time period the company had completed a total of 500 feet of drifting and crosscutting on the 100 foot level of the No. 1 shaft. Some more lateral development also became completed on the newly developed 200 foot level, that consisted of 250 feet of drifting, and crosscutting. By this time, the company would also construct a new level on the mines 300 foot level that totalled 100 feet of drifting, and crosscutting. A raise was also reported to have been driven from the No. 1 shaft to the Open Pit operation. Besides developing the No. 1 shaft the company had also had extended the 100 foot level of the No. 2 shaft by 250 feet of drifting, and crosscutting. Mining operations were cease after that when much development was being focus on the Crews-McFarlan Silver Property. A total of 72 tonnes of ore was reported to have been shipped, in which produce 20,219 ounces of Ag and 18 Lb.'s of Co from the Bartlett Silver Property.