The Centre Hill (Potter) Copper-Zinc Mine is an abandoned underground mining operation located in Munro Township, of the Cochrane District. The Centre Hill (Potter) Mine was additionally first prospected in the 1920's, which was discovered by Paul E. Doal of Matheson. A small lens of banded massive chalcopyrite located in northcentral Munro Township was shortly after discovered. It was between 1926 and 1930, that diamond drilling amounting to 600 feet in four holes was completed. Other exploratory work resulted in completing an electromagnetic survey, shaft sinking, and mining operations that were commenced. The entire lens was additionally mined to a depth of 250 feet, which was referred as the Potterdoal Mine. Production resulted in 2,000 tonnes of ore that reportedly known to contain a grade of 0.48% Cu, and 0.029 oz. Au per ton.
The property was later explored by Quebec Asbestos Corp, who had diamond drilled, 1,208 feet in three holes within or near the leased mining claims numbered 52513, and 53951 in 1949. These holes had intersected ultramafic rocks, and included four foot sections of sheared and brecciated graphitic material. It was in this graphite zone that masses of disseminated seems of sulphides were encountered but had carried low grade values.
By 1952, R. S. Potter of Matheson had additionally completed diamond drilling on a Cu-Zn sulphide exposure that was immediately north of the Centre Hill. Banded massive sulphides were reportedly encountered within the drill core at this prospect site in 1952.
Quebec Asbestos Corp, had also diamond drilled seven surface holes, totalling a footage of 1,102 feet within the leased mining claims numbered 52513, and 53951 in 1953. This was mainly being done in response to the company's exploration program for asbestos in the area. Hole L-2 to L-7 had intersected serpentinized ultramafic rocks, and Hole L-1 is described to have intersected pyrrhotite, chalcopyrite, and pyrite bearing andesite that was adjacent to a graphitic shear zone.
Centre Hill Mines Limited, started exploration work on the Centre Hill Copper-Zinc Prospect in 1952. The company at this time had secured a total of 12 claims, which were Nos. 63946-57, in the Township of Munro, within the District of Cochrane. It was during the year of 1952, when the program of diamond drilling had taken place on August 20th, 1952, and completed on October 31st, 1952. This had included the completion of 9 surface holes, totalling a footage of 2,073 feet.
It was from the 1952, drilling program that encouraging results were obtained through the core that indicated copper-zinc ore. One of the very first holes that was driven to a depth of 162 feet had intersect 3.4 feet of ore grading 0.97% Cu (Copper), and 0.70% Zn. (Zinc) at 56 feet. Another intersection of 12.0 feet of ore had graded 2.23% Cu, and 0.12% Zn from a depth of 75 feet. One last intersection was made at a depth of 90 feet that resulted in ore grades of 3.44% Cu, and 1.89% Zn over a width of 8.3 feet.
On February, 1953, the Centre Hill Mines, Limited, was incorporated under the laws of Ontario. It was by 1956, that the Centre Hill Mines had increased it capitalization from $3,000,000 to $4,000,000 by creating an additional 1,000,000 shares of $1 each. Another increase to the authorized capitalization was made in 1957, when it was increased from $4,000,000 to $5,000,000 by creating an additional 1,000,000 shares of $1.00 each. The company was largely funded by the main president/director of the company known as Robert Stuart Potter. He had also employed Patrick Harrison as vice president and director, and Robert Alexander Cranston as Secretary Treasurer. Some of the main directors of the company were George Wakefield, John Harcourt, and John Godfrey Tatham.
Hole No 2 had also intersected ore grades of 0.33% Cu and 1.83% Zn over a width of 4.2 feet from the 85-foot horizon. This had also resulted in another intersection of 1.69% Cu, and 1.78% Zn over a width of 9.4 feet, and at a depth of 130 feet. This hole was officially ended at a core footage of 257 feet that was driven to explore this deposit further. A much deeper intersection was also made at a depth of 2,100 feet that average ore-grades of 0.31% Cu, and 7.01% Zn over a width of 5.4 feet. It would also included another section of ore grading 1,80% Cu, and 2.62% Zn over a width of 6.8 feet, and a depth of 2,300 feet below the surface. Drilling would additionally be continued down to the 2,350-foot horizon that had an average grade of 0.13% Cu, and 0.20% Zn over a width of 4.41 feet.
Hole No. 3 would also intersect ore grades averaging 2.30% Cu and 0.58% Zn over a width of 4.4 feet, and a depth of 140 feet. This had also included another section of ore grade material grading in excess of 1.77% Cu, and 1.01% Zn at a depth of 150 feet. Copper grades of 1.06% were also intersected below this level at a depth of 160 feet below the surface.
Diamond drill Hole No. 4 was mainly aimed at follow up drilling that intersect ore-grades averaging 1.13% Cu, and 0.18% Zn over a width of 10.7 feet, and at a depth of 220 feet.
Diamond drill Hole No. 5 would continue to greater depths as ore-grades averaging 0.42% Cu, and 13.33% Zn over a width of 0.9 feet were intersected at a depth of 290 feet. Another intersection was made below the 300-foot horizon that resulted in ore grades averaging 1.47% Cu, and 3.75% Zn over a width of 4.5 feet. This would also result in another section grading 0.88% Cu, and 0.20% Zn over a width of 7.0 feet at a depth of 320 feet.
Diamond Drill Hole No. 6 was driven to test the ore-body below the 320-foot horizon that intersected 0.69% Cu, and 5.50% Zn over a true width of 9.9 feet, and at a depth of 360 feet. As drilling continued it was reported that another section of the ore-body had average a grade of 2.85% Cu, and 0.86% Zn over a width of 10.1 feet, and a depth of 375 feet. This had also included on intersection of ore grading in excess of 2.32% Cu, and 0.30% Zn over a width of 3.8 feet, and at a depth of 1,500 feet. Follow up drilling had also resulted in ore-grade averaging 0.60% Cu, and 0.25% Zn over a width of 8.8 feet, and at a depth of 1,600 feet. One final intersection had also included 0.47% Cu, and 0.20% Zn over a width of 8.7 feet, and at a depth of 1,700 feet below the surface.
Diamond Drill Hole No. 10 was aimed at testing the downward continuation of the ore-body below the 2,350 feet that intersected ore-grade of 1.75% Cu, and 1.20% Zn over a width of 4.0 feet. Another intersection had included ore grades of 0.38% Cu, and 0.25% Zn over a width of 4.6 feet. One final intersection included ore grades averaging 0.36% Cu, and 0.69% Zn over a width of 10.4 feet, and a depth of 2,400 feet.
The Company in 1954, had held a group of ten claims in the most southern part of lots 5, 6, and 7, of concession V, Munro Township. Diamond drilling to date had encountered sulphide base mineralization on historical claims L. 53954, and L53955. The Centre Hill Copper-Zinc Property was also reached by taking highway 101 for about 15 miles east of Matheson and then turning northward on a bush road through Gulboro and Munro Townships. It was also reported that the property had shown no exposure of sulphide bodies, and the only surface indication is some mineralized float. A total of seventeen diamond drill holes have been drilled on the property to the end of 1954.
Much of the surface plan and drilling sections had shown that the ore lens strikes east-west, and dips to the north at 70 degrees. The sulphides are largely hosted in rhyolite breccia that's adjacent to the contact with peridotite. The copper and zinc mineralization are largely associated with massive pyrrhotite, in which the pyrrhotite was estimated to contain more than 50% of the core in the mineralized sections.
Mr. W. Gerrie, who was a consulting geologist for the company, had not felt that he could workout any prove tonnage of ore with the present information obtained. However, he was able draw up one drill section of which had indicated the assumed outline of the main sulphide lens. No clear information was obtained from this but this had provided some idea that mining could be done at a rate of 344 cubic feet per ton. Some of the near surface diamond drill holes had also indicated the presence of sulphides for a strike length of 200 feet. However, the widths were also considered to be somewhat narrow and no assay results were obtained from these holes. The tonnage that was outline for a length of 100 feet at the same cross sectional area would amount to 34,400 tonnes of ore. It had been determined that the average grade of the ore resulted in 2.20% Cu and 1.40% Zn per tonne of ore mined. Inspections which were made of the core, and assay results had shown that there was a well developed tendency for either of these metals to be concentrated in a particular part of the sulphide lens.
In 1954, the Sulphides had been explored by drilling for a total strike length of 200 feet, and down the dip for 400 feet. On the central drilling station where a total of six holes had been located, the general average width of the sulphide lens is 7.8 feet. It was shortly after determined that the average assay of this lens had indicated 1.95% Cu, and 1.00% Zn. Most of the drilling had also shown to separate narrow sulphide lens, in which the average width of sulphide lens intersected on the central drilling section had been 15.6 feet. It was also at one point in time that these claims were largely referred as the Potter-Doal Property. Drilling and geomagnetic surveying were conducted on the property in order to investigate the possibility of an asbestos deposit. Since that time it was widely stated that short diamond drill holes have been conducted each year for a total of 10,756 feet. Most of the drilling done during this time period had largely been confined to a length of 200 feet along the strike. Other holes had also been 500 feet to the west of these, and another one at about 600 feet to the east.
Other construction work that was done by 1954, had included 16 by 24 foot frame cookery, a 14 by 16 foot core shack, and 24 by 30 foot garage. Preparations were also made towards providing hydroelectrical power that was obtained from the Johns-Manville Munro Mine, that was 3 miles to the southwest.
Some of the geophysical work that was carried out had been focus on a magnetometer survey of 25 acres covering the rhyolite at the west end of the hill. The work which was done at this time had resulted in establishing a 100-foot grid, and some readings were taken at 50-foot intervals. Other highs or contrasting anomalies are also considered to be largely associated with faults in the general area.
One of the very first prospect shafts to be sunk during the copper boom of 1920's, had been 250 feet deep, and had been sunk 600 feet from the northern boundary at the faulted contact of gabbro and rhyolite. Assays which were obtained from this shaft had indicated grades of 1% to 2% Cu, but had limited lengths to encourage further development. Trenches which were developed to the north and northeast were dug, and although bedrock was not reached several boulders were heavily mineralized with pyrrhotite, and chalcopyrite.
One of the deepest holes drilled was the No. 17, which had cut 2.31% Cu, and 0.49% Zn over a width of 7.4 feet core length. This also included another section that was driven 7 feet below the 525 foot vertical depth of drill Hole No. 17, that assayed 1.20% Cu, and 0.75% Zn over a true width of 3.9 feet. Both of these intersections had rather lined up with two wider lower grade bands that were indicated in previous drill holes.
During the year of 1956, it was reported that a diamond drilling campaign was undertaken on the newly outline zones. This at the time had resulted in completing 40,000 feet of diamond drilling that was carried out along 1,350-foot length of the rhyolitic band. A. C. Lees who was a consulting engineer had calculated a total ore reserve estimation of 164,487 tonnes of ore grading in excess of 2.09% Cu. This was largely being contained in six shoots over a length of 1,200 feet, and was establish to a depth of 600 feet. These ore shoots that were intersected through drilling had also been located at various horizons, as they weren't all situated in the same area. One of the longest and deepest shoots to be discovered through drilling was located at a depth of 550 feet below the surface.
Drilling that was done in 1956, had also disclosed a new ore shoot that was situated 600 feet west of the proposed shaft development area. It was also indicated that the copper-zinc mineralization within this section was considered to only carry low-grade values.
Mining operations were officially commenced in 1957, when a vertical, three compartment shaft was sunk to a depth of 408 feet. Shaft sinking that had taken place at the time was done on the northeast quarter of the south half of lot 7, concession V, of Munro Township. A level at this time had also been station cut on the 350-foot horizon on which lateral development had amounted to 97 feet of crosscutting, and 42 feet of drifting that was done on the main zone. Drifting that was done for a short distance had been accomplish above plotted intersection that returned ore-grades of 2.20% Cu across 8.1 feet, and 2.24% Cu over 25 feet. It was also at this time that the limited amount of drifting, and slashing had also returned assays of 2.59% Cu over 5 feet, and 3.60% Cu over 5 feet that was taken from faces which were 7 feet apart. A wall sample that was taken from the north side, and between the faces mention had returned ore grades in excess of 4.00% Cu. A test hole that was done to the southwest of the drift in the same section had also returned 1.22% Cu over 12 feet. Diamond drilling amounted to two surface holes, totalling a footage of 800 feet. A minor amount of ore was also hoisted through the No. 1 Shaft that amounted to 100 tonnes of ore. Financial difficulties were shortly faced at this point that cause the cessation of work on November, 30, 1957.
During the year of 1957, it was also stated that much of the surface construction work had been aimed at erecting a few buildings. This had largely included a 70-foot head-frame, a hoist house, a power house, workshop, dry house, bunk house, and cook house.
A preliminary testing of a 250 pound sample was taken from the underground dump were sent for testing in 1958. The sample was additionally shipped to the Mines Branch of the Department of Mines, and technical surveys. Results from this sampling had indicated 3.65% Cu, 1.04% Zn, 0.056% Ni, 0.0075 oz. Au, 0.60 oz. Ag, 12.44% SiO2, and 32.98% Fe. Results which were taken from this test had showed that the ore minerals were amenable to concentration by flotation. However, it was because of the close association of sphalerite with the chalcopyrite in the pyrrhotite that made it quite difficult to get a clean copper concentration. This resulted in further metallurgical work that would be needed to produce a method that would improve the copper and zinc separation.
It was by 1959, when Zenmac Metal Mines, Limited., had carried out an electric magnetic survey over the property. Drilling had also been focus on a few new anomaly zones, and on rhyolite bands that had been further outline. The company had also carried out several magnetic surveys on the property that was owned by the Centre Hill Mines, Limited. These had largely acted in assistance in tracing out the favorable rhyolitic horizons of the mine property. This had also been followed by an electromagnetic survey that was carried out on the property by Zenmac Metal Mines, Ltd. Results from the electromagnetic survey had indicated 10 separate anomaly conductors. Three of these anomaly conductors were drilled, and a total of four holes that were 1,000 feet in length had been drilled in the main zone. A total ore reserve calculation was additionally made which resulted in 164,487 tonnes of ore grading 2.09% Cu that was indicated in surface diamond drilling along a 1,200-foot length, and to a depth of 600 feet.
Centre Hill Mines, Ltd., had continued it progressive exploration and development campaign in 1964. It was during this time that the mine would once again re-open after obtaining enough capital to work this ground. The re-opening of the Centre Hill Mine would result in dewatering the No. 1 shaft before further sinking it to a depth 634 feet below the surface. New level were had also been establish at depth of 476.6 and 602.4 feet below the shaft collar. Lateral development at this time had amounted to completing 1,032-feet of drifting, and 264 feet of crosscutting that was completed on the 600-foot level. This additionally had brought the total development footage to 1,074 feet of drifting, and 361 feet of crosscutting. A total of six underground diamond drill holes were driven within the underground workings that amounted to a total length of 534 feet.
Mining operation at the Centre Hill Mine would continued to operate throughout the year of 1965. It was at this time that no additional sinking was done as development work was mainly focus on further outlining ore-reserves. Lateral development had also amounted to 655 feet of drifting, and 525 feet of crosscutting. Upon completion of this work, it had brought the total development footage to 1,729 feet of drifting, and 613 feet of crosscutting with a minor amount of slashing. Diamond drilling resulted in completing 92 underground holes, totalling a length of 22,373 feet. Some of the main construction work had also been focus on erecting a power plant, a water tank building, and a hoist room.
It was in 1966, when Centre Hill Mines would change its name to Munro Copper Mines, Limited, as the company had an authorized capitalization of 5,000,000 shares at $1 par value, of which 3,276,640 shares were issued. The direction of the company was known to have change slightly as R. S. Potter, had remained president and director. He also had hired on Patrick Harrison as the vice president, and director, and R. A. Cranston had remained the Secretary treasurer. The managing director at this time was G. E. Smith, while J. E. Wallington and Steve Gabon, were both known as directors.
The Centre Hill Mine property was shortly after change to the Munro Copper-Zinc Mine that comprised of 24 claims in Munro Township, Cochrane District. Mining operations that were done on the Munro Mine were additionally carried out from January 1, to December, 31, 1966. It was during this time period that the No. 1 shaft was sunk a further 366 feet, and had now bottomed out at a depth of 970 feet below the shaft collar. As shaft sinking had progressed, this resulted in station cutting the 1st, 5th, and 6th levels at depths of 200-, 725-, and 850-feet below the shaft collar. Lateral development that was achieved at this time had resulted in completing 1,208 feet of drifting, 433 feet of crosscutting, and 898 feet of raising. This would bring the total lateral development footage of the workings to 2,937 feet of drifting, 1,045 feet of crosscutting, and 898 feet of raising. Some 36 underground diamond drill holes were also completed that totalled a length of 2,049 feet.
A major amount of construction work was also completed in 1966, that resulted in the raising of the head-frame from 65 to 100 feet. Other surface construction work was focus on erecting a 500 ton per day concentrator milling facility that would be 245 by 60 feet in measurement. This had also been followed by a crusher building, two transformer houses, four conveyor ways, a water tank, two bunk houses, an addition to the cookery house, office, and warehouse. A coarse ore bin had also been erected for the handling of 500 to 700 tonnes of ore that came from this mine. Most of the construction work at this time was nearly completed, as progress was made to get this mine into production stage.
Munro Copper Mines, Limited, continued to operate the Munro Copper-Zinc Mine Project in 1967. The No. 1, three compartment shaft by this time had reached its projected depth of 970 feet below the surface. Lateral development would amount to 3,842 feet of drifting, 96 feet of crosscutting, 3,466 feet of raising. With the completion of this work it had brought the total development footage within the mine to 6,779 feet of drifting, 1,142 feet of crosscutting, and 4,365 feet of raising. Diamond drilling that was carried out during the year had amounted to 123 underground drill holes, totalling a footage of 11.962 feet. Hoisting operations from the No. 1, three-compartment, Shaft had amounted to 117,512 tonnes of ore that was hoisted at a daily average rate of 427 tons. Milling which was done at this point in time had treated all the ore that came from the Munro Copper-Zinc Mine.
Mining and production was being widely achieved throughout the operating year of 1968, in which development was undertaken. The total lateral development that was accomplish throughout the operating year of 1968, resulted in 1,972 feet of drifting, and 554 feet of crosscutting. Upon completion of this development work it would bring the total development footage within the mine to 8,751 feet of drifting, 1,142 feet of crosscutting, and 4,918 feet of raising. Diamond drilling that was done from underground would result in completing a total footage of 4,615 feet, and a total of 4 surface diamond drill holes were driven, totalling a length of 1,613 feet. The total amount of ore that was hoisted from the No. 1 Shaft had resulted in 47,038 tonnes of ore that would be milled at a daily rate of 470 tons.
It was by April, 1968, when a take over was accomplish between Munro Copper Mines, Ltd., and the Clarkson and Company. Since this take over it was also stated that mining operations would lay idle, and the underground workings had been clear of water by pumps. The company had also conducted a fall diamond drilling program on surface and the underground works that was done under the direction Dr. R. Graham. Exploration work that was achieved throughout the years had been considered quite challenging in locating mineralized sections due to poor surface exposures. This eventually led to the sale of the Munro Copper Mine that was later purchased by Patrick Harrison, and Company, Limited.
The property in 1969, was taken over by the Harrison Drilling and Exploration Company, Limited. This company was first incorporated on December, 1949, with an authorized capitalization of 800 shares of $50 par value, of which 135 shares were issued. A change to the ownership was also made as Patrick Harrison was the company's president, and director, with Gerald Ernest, and Edward H. Harrison as vice president. Patrick Harrison would also employ S. J. Gabon as secretary treasurer, and director of the company.
It was at this point in time that the former properties of Munro Copper Mines, Limited., had comprised of 24 claims, covering an area of 1,120 acres. Harrison Drilling and Exploration Company, Limited, had additionally acquired all the rights to the mining property, along with the mill and other assets. The mine would also become re-named as it was being referred as the Potter Mine Project. Lateral development that was completed from the underground workings had amounted to 2,162 feet of drifting, 300 feet of crosscutting, and 1,119 feet of raising. This would additionally bring the total development footage to 10,840 feet of drifting, 1,441 feet of crosscutting, and 6,529 feet of raising. Diamond drilling that was carried out from the underground workings had amounted to 11 holes, totalling a footage of 2,369 feet. Production that was being achieved from the mine had produced a daily tonnage of 592 tons of ore, that amounted to hoisting 101,225 tons of ore through the No. 1 Shaft. Milling that was taken place during the operating year of 1969, had also treated all the ore that was hoisted through the No. 1 Shaft operation. By the end of 1969, it was reported that the Potter Copper-Zinc Project was officially suspended by the company.
The property was taken over by Millstream Mines, Limited, who had contracted Card & Associates, Geosearch. The Potter Copper-Zinc Property was additionally explored and reported by K. D. Card. K. D. Card had indicated that the Potter Mine is a fairly massive sulphide deposit that's located between the western Abitibi Greenstone Belt, east of Matheson, Ontario. Ore grade mineralization is known to commonly exist in the area but rather has very poor surface exposures. Reports and recent diamond drilling that was done to a depth of 3,400 feet, has disclosed further mineralization below the present mine workings at the Potter Mine.
An east striking band of rhyolite, rhyolite breccia, and slate is enclosed in the basic and ultrabasic rocks. This also includes some small sulphide lens that are observed at the volcanic-intrusive contact on surface but rather passes into the intrusive going down the dip. The main part of the sulphide mineralization is known to commonly replace parts of the slate and breccia, and dips towards the north at 67 degrees.
The Centre Hill Complex which occupies the south half of the property is composed of differentiated basic and ultrabasic rocks, which are 1,700 feet wide, and one mile long. A sill that occupies the south limb of the McCool Hill Syncline is known to strike N 70 degrees W, and dips 70 degrees north. It widely reported that the Sill is bounded to the south by the Centre Hill Fault, and to the north by a 200 foot wide band of Rhyolite. This band is also commonly considered to thicken to more than twice that width to the west where the hill has been intercepted by many north trending cross-faults. Its also immediately south of the hill that's occupied by a mass of quartz diorite, which had been comparable to the size of the sill. The presence of this sill is largely suggested due to the number of exposures over a fairly wide area.
Cutting the foregoing rocks are known to consist of north-trending diabase dykes of Matachewan Age, which generally run for miles across the country. These diabase dykes are largely warped and offset by the later movements of faults. Mineralization in the general area has also been observed to have been notice along side of the diabase dykes.
The general rocks of this township are known to be intermediate to basic volcanic flows striking northwest. These are also widely intruded by basic sills which conform to the structure of the old flows. Some of the remnants of the old volcanic flows had also been preserved along with the less common rhyolite flows. The structure and shape of the rocks have also become more or less distorted, and folded by faults along the strike.
Some of the main sulphide minerals are predominately pyrrhotite with minor amounts of pyrite, chalcopyrite, and zincblende. Most of the pyrite content is considered to also be magnetic, and sphalerite is known to occur in the pyrrhotite, which are generally parallel to the main contacts. Chalcopyrite is also considered to commonly occur as irregular stringers, and streaks that are commonly observed through core. A number of samples had also been treated for gold, silver, and nickel but the values were considered to be quite low. The general area also has considerable graphite in some of the gangue material, and a suggestion of faulting is adapted to this. Quartz are largely considered to be non-prominent within the mineralized sections but was common in other parts of the rhyolite breccia as a replacement of the matrix. In both Holes, C-24 and 25, graphite is generally considered to be plentiful on both sides of the heavy mineralization, and through it. Much of the graphite is polished, in which shows effects of considerable movement in the area.
The mineralization is largely composed of 50 to 55% Sulphides, which is more heavier at the center of the drilled section, and apparently was known to tapper off at both ends. The average values that were obtained from these sulphides had indicated a grade of 1.70% Cu, and 1.56% Zn over a true width of 9.6 feet, and had a down dip length of 400 feet.
The Potter Mine property is situated in the eastern most part of the Kidd-Munro Assemblage of the Abitibi Greenstone Belt. The Kidd Munro-assemblage is an East to South striking assemblage, which is bounded to the north by the Duff Coulson-Rand assemblage, to the west by Mattagami Fault, and the south by metasedimentary Hoyle Assemblage. Its also to the east, that the assemblage terminates against the Porcupine -Destor deformation zone, and the Stoughton-Roquemaure Assemblage. The Kidd-Munro Assemblage commonly consists of ultramafic, pyroxenitic,, and basaltic komatiite, tholeiitic picrate, magnesium rich tholeiite, high alumina basalt, iron rich tholeiite, icelandite, and thin units of high silica rhyolite. Massive to pillowed basalt units are also known to occur in the area of the Kidd-Munro Assemblage. Geochemical data rather suggests that four main types of basalts are present, the first being a light-rare earth element (LREE)-depleted, and heavy rare earth elements (HREE), with low abundance of incompatible elements. The second of these is known to included a flat rare earth element (REE), enriched in incompatible element. This also includes a third type known to consist of tholeiitic flow basalts, which are strongly enriched in incompatible elements, that slightly have an enriched LREE pattern, and fractionated HREE. The fourth type includes the Warden Township Basalts, having trace element characteristic which are similar in some respects to the type 2 basalts.
Rhyolite and high silica rhyolite, are dated at 2715 Ma in the western part of the Assemblage, and near the Kidd Creek Mine, which have relatively flat REE patterns . These have negative europium abundance, that average 0.20 to 0.61% Eu, and contain low Zr/Y, with high abundances of high field strength elements, and low abundance of scandium and strontium. Felsic metavolcanic rocks are known for dating 2714 Ma from Beatty Township in the eastern part of the Kidd Munro Assemblage. Its also considered that these are largely similar to rhyolites in the western part of Munro Township that are largely associated with Komatiites, This rather suggests that the Komatiite within the Kidd Munro Assemblage is also at about 2714 Ma.
Its also in the eastern part of the Kidd Munro Assemblage, in Munro Township, that copper-zinc mineralization is noted at the Potter Mine which occurs in fragmental mafic rocks, associated with tholeiitic olivine basalts, and picritic and peridotitic komatiites. The metavolcanic rocks are known to also occur above, and adjacent to the differentiated peridotite, and gabbro of the Tholeiitic Centre Hill Complex. Much of the contact between the Centre Hill Complex, and the Komatiitic flows to the west is a zone of shearing presumed to be a fault. Sulphide mineralization thats noted on this shearing consists massive matrix pyrrhotite, sphalerite, chalcopyrite, and minor pyrite, Stringers of sulphide mineralization is largely associated with a chlorite alteration zone.