The Drummond Fraction is know to be situated on the east side of Kerr Lake. It was also owned by a joint venture agreement between the Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited, and the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited. From all production the mine had produce a total of 356,643 ounces of Ag that came from the Drummond Mine. In 1914, the company was mainly focusing on extracting the rich ore-bearing material from the No. 1 Vein. This had gave an out put of 134,256 ounces of Ag. By 1916, the Drummond Property produce another large amount of silver that totalled 40,450 ounces. All production by the Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited had produce 67,112 ounces of silver in 1917. This was taken from the Smaltite vein that was known as the easterly extension of the Fleming Vein, while production also took place from the Drummond Vein that was the westerly extension of the Comet.
1905- Drummond Mines, Limited
The Drummond Silver-Cobalt Project was reported to have first been discovered on the northwest quarter of the north half of Lot. 2, in the fourth concession of Coleman Township. Cobalt, Ontario, Canada. At the time it was rather stated that the Drummond Silver-Cobalt Property was the second mine to have went into production within the Kerr Lake District. For the most part the mine site at the time was also owned and operated by the Drummond Mines, Limited.
Development at the time was mainly focus on opening up three vein systems, which two of the veins were parallel by about 7 to 12 feet apart. This was mainly opened up by a shaft with 5 by 9 timbers in which became sunken on these two veins. Other surface operations were also being confined to open cut methods that were taking place to the north of this shaft. At the time it was reported that the open-cut was 80 feet long by 12 feet wide, and 30 feet deep.
Other development during that year was taken place on what was known as the Blue Jay Vein, which is situated at about 100 feet northeast of the vein mention above. All of this expanding had also sunken a shaft that was driven for a distance 25 feet below the surface, which also became further examined by an open cut for a length of 50 feet. Some construction would also take place when the company had constructed the much needed mine buildings that included a boiler, and compressor house. At one point these structures became situated at distance of 60 feet to the east of the shaft. These two surface plans at the time had mainly consisted of an air compressor delivering 300 cubic feet of air per a minute, two 50 H.P Locomotive firing boilers, and not least a 15 H.P hoist. Explorations on the veins also became conducted when the company was testing them at depth.
1908- Drummond Mines, Limited
All mining operations at the Drummond Mine became ceased within 1908, with the exception of developing a crosscut section on the first level. It was at this point in time when the crosscut became driven south west from the first level for a distance of 200 feet from the shaft. At the time it was rather stated that the mine was full of water to the first level of the Drummond Silver-Cobalt Property. For the most part work was mainly confined to connecting the main workings with the No. 2 shaft, that was situated 300 feet away. Another drift section was also driven to the north under the lake on the second level before mining operations became confined to the first level. Besides development the company also establish a considerable amount of diamond drilling on the Drummond Silver-Cobalt Mine.
1909- Drummond Mines, Limited
It was in 1909, when most of the underground development work was being confined to crosscutting north on the 200 foot level of the main shaft under Kerr Lake. In addition to this, a crosscut had also been driven for a distance of 400 feet at the time of expanding these workings. Surface explorations during that time period had resulted in diamond drilling and trenching. As the mine continued to expand the company would also ship a large amount of ore from their property to the Trout Mill Concentration Plant.
1911- Drummond Mines, Limited
In addition to 1911, the Drummond Mine Site was rather being expanded when the company became confined to the No. 1 and No. 5 shafts. Development within the No. 1 shaft operation had consisted of 155 feet of drifting, 160 feet of crosscutting, and 30 feet of raising. Besides expanding the No. 1 shaft, the Drummond Mines, Limited also continued to develop the No. 5 shaft on the southern boundary. Lateral development within the No. 5 shaft at this time had consisted of 1,150 feet of drifting, 235 feet of crosscutting, and 45 feet of raising. Within this time period the company also went into a contract deal to concentrate all of its low grade ore with the Northern Custom Contractors, Limited.
1912- Drummond Mines, Limited
Drummonds Mines, Limited had additionally worked this project in 1912, before it was sold in the beginning of 1913. Almost all development during that year was confined to expanding the No. 5 shaft operation on the southern boundary. The No. 5 shaft at the time was stated to have been sunken to a depth of 150 feet below the surface. With the mine expanding the company was also operating this mine on two producing levels that became cut on the mines 75, and 150 foot sections. In addition to this, a connection also became made during this time period with the No. 5 and No. 1 shaft operations on the first mining level. This was rather establish at a 500 foot distance between each shaft in order to make this connection. Much of the second level at 150 feet had consisted of 700 feet of drifting, and crosscutting which was done prior to the sell off. All the low grade ore that came from the Drummond Mine was also being treated at a plant owned by the Northern Custom Concentrators.
1913- Acquired by the Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited, and the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited under a joint venture.
The newly purchase claims became registered as the Drummond Fraction in which were easterly extensions to the Kerr Lake Mine Project. These claim blocks at the time had also provide an excess area that had a 33 foot wide strip in which was in a portion of the Kerr Lake Shoreline. All ownership at the time was taken up by a joint venture between the Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited, and the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited. Ownership at the time had also provided the company with all the mining, surface, and water rights with this purchase.
Mining operations at the time were mainly aiming at lowering Kerr Lake before a high-grade vein averaging 2inchs in width, with four or five feet of good milling ore, was opened up for a length of 60 feet. At the time, these two companies also had made arrangements with the Cobalt Comet Company, which were the present owners of the Drummond Property. Much of this was done in order to rent the Wright Shaft in order to develop a crosscut that was driven from this level to intersect a vein below the surface. Other major surface development also took place when the company added a shaft house, ore house, and other buildings to operate this project. As this be came establish the company had also commence production of the good mill ore that came from this project.
1914- Operated by the Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited, and the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited
Project operations that became reported by the Crown Reserves Mining Company, Limited had stated that mining was continuous except for 7 months prior to the outbreak of the war. For the most part exploration work was reported to have taken place on 100 foot level of the Drummond Fraction Property. In addition to this, the company reported that one vein was discovered but has yet prove to be ore-bearing. Production within 1914, was mainly focus on the No. 1 vein that had produce 134,256 ounces of silver. This recovery was reported to have been taken from the mill ore that totalled 96,771 ounce, and another38,485 ounces was taken from the high-grade ore. All development footage that year had consisted of 192 feet of drifting, 558 feet of crosscutting, and 38 feet of raising.
1915- Operated by the Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited, and the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited
The Drummond Fraction was worked for a short time period by the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited, and the Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited. All mining operations on the Drummond Fraction Cobalt Comet Property became ceased on August, 1915. As mining operations became ceased it was rather stated that the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited had acquired It was also during this time period when the Kerr Lake Mining Company had acquired control of the stocks which were owned by the Caribou Cobalt Mining, Company. For whatever reason this was rather re-named into the Cobalt Comet before being the Drummond Fraction Property once again. Some development work however did take place by a company who became known as the Cobalt Comet Mines, Ltd. All mining operations at the time were being chiefly carried out on the 100 foot level of the Drummond Fraction Silver Property.
1916- Operate by Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited
A small amount of work was reported to have taken place on the Drummond Fraction Property by the Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited. The re-opening of the Drummond Fraction property had resulted in the installation of a De Laval, 3 stage, 350 gallon centrifugal pump that was electrically driven, became installed in the main shaft of the 225 foot level. Much of this was done in order to keep the flow of water out from the underground workings.
1917- Operated by Kerr Lake Mining Company, Limited.
In addition to development in 1917, the company also had produce 67,112 ounces of silver that was taken from smaltite vein in which was an easterly extension to the Fleming Vein. It was also known as a westerly extension to the comet vein, and all mining operations on the Drummond Fraction became ceased January, 31, 1917..
1919- Taken over by the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited
Mining operations at the Drummond Fraction Mine became taken over by the Crown Reserve Mining Company, Limited. It was rather during this time period when the company did not commence operations on the property due to labour situations within the early part of the year. Almost all mining operations on the Drummond Property became resumed by November, and the company at the time was waiting for the results from this prospecting stage. A small amount of development work was also done on this property in 1920, before all mining operations became stop on January, 30, 1921.
A total of 8,094 feet of diamond drilling was reported to have been taken from 13 holes (C.S 103 to C.S 115). This whole entire diamond drilling programs was also completed on the Hargraves, Drummond, and North Drummond Claims. Diamond drilling on these properties was mainly done in order to follow up on previous diamond drilling, and also to test the previously unexplored area for silver mineralization. Additionally, the company reported that ore-grade material was not recovered from this program besides pockets of low grade silver arsenide. In addition to this, the company was mainly aiming at testing the north, and south limbs of the Kerr Lake Diabase Arch. Other statements form the company reported that these areas have their own potential for holding ore-grade silver veins. But more problems soon had taken place prior to this drilling that reported it to be very difficult to test the Nipissing-Keewatin Contact
1946 - Comet Leasing Company
By 1946 it was stated that this company had leased the Kerr Lake and Drummond Properties. It was rather reported that the company was incorporated by James. H. Price from Cobalt, Bruce Williams from Kirkland Lake, and J.A Price from Cobalt. All mine ownership during 1946, was still in the hands of the Kerr Lake Mines, Limited. By this time the mine was once again undergoing further explorations when the company had conducted 250 feet of surface trenching. In addition to this, other development had also take place when the company had mined the remaining pillars, and floors.
Much of the geology in this area is known to consist of steeply dipping Keewatin Volcanics, and sediments, which are partially overlain by flat lying Huronian Sediments. Both of these areas are also considered to be intruded by, and underlie a gently undulating Nipissing Diabase sheet like dyke. In addition to this, the Keewatin, and huronia rocks are also exposed along the surface within the central part of the area where the lower Nipissing Contact formed an arch that since became eroded.
Generally, the Keewatin rocks which were exposed had also consisted of cherts, and tuffs striking northwesterly. Prior to surface drilling it had also indicated various types of volcanics and sediments which strike to the north-south on both sides of the Diabase Arch. The rocks of Keewatin series are known to also be establish from the youngest rocks to the oldest rocks, that included Mafic Flows, Pyeclastic Tuff Breccia, Black Argillite, and Chert/tuff, In addition to this, flat lying lamprophyre is known to also range from 1 to 100 feet in thickness, in which cuts across the Keewatin Rocks. Much of the Dykes are also dark green, massive, coarse grained, with either conspicuous biotite or amphibole grains.
The Huronian Sediments within this geological formation are considered to overlie the Keewatin, which is known to occur under the Kerr Lake diabase arch. All the beds within this section are know to have their own strikes slightly to the north of east, and dip gently to the north. Much of the surface exposure are known to also indicate basal conglomerate with 80% pebbles in a greywacke matrix, which is overlain by massive to well bedded, light grey, medium grained quartzite. Generally , the Keewatin diabase along with the Huronian is known to be a dark green, massive, coarse grained, and somewhat differentiated dyke of about 1,000 feet thick. Above the 100 foot level of the lower contact is known to be 5 to 15% coarse, honey-brown coloured, hypersthene phenocrysts. Below this section much of the diabase is considered to be slightly finer grained and darker in colour. At the lower contact of the dyke an arch is known to be formed, which is called the Kerr Lake Arch, having a strike of 70 degrees. The whole entire contact close the arch is considered to be relatively steep, and about 40 degrees, before it becomes about 15 to 20 degrees.
A total of 53,700,000 ounces of Ag was also reported to have been produce within the immediate area that covers Kerr Lake, Silver Leaf, Crown Reserve, Drummond, and Hargrave Claims. This whole entire silver production was rather produce within a steeply dipping carbonated veins in which occur in Huronian Sediments. One exception to this is known to be within the Kerr Lake No. 3 vein, in which it had produce 3,000,000 Oz's of Ag from the Nipissing Diabase Vein. Most of the veins within this area are also known to strike north-easterly or south-north. Drilling that was conducted by Canadian Mines, Limited, was aimed at testing the veins to the south-north that indicated a weak mineralization.
1978 - Staked by the Canadaka Mines, Ltd.
Further explorations, along with mining were being done on the Drummond, Deer Horn, Bursary, Lawson, and Cleopatra Silver-Cobalt Properties. Some ore was also taken from the Kerr Lake Property dumps, as the Kerr Lake Mill was place into production. Explorations on the Drummond Silver-Cobalt Property had mainly comprised of geological mapping, and diamond drilling. Diamond drilling had consisted of 14 surface holes, totalling 8,094 feet in total length. This diamond drilling campaign was mainly completed on the Drummond, and North Drummond during 1978. Most of this program was done in order to follow up with previous drilling, and to explore new areas for silver mineralization. It was rather stated that ore-grade silver veins were not encountered within this diamond drilling program. Diamond drilling on this property had intersected a low grading silver-arsenide mineralization, while undergoing explorations on the Drummond Property. For the most part the company was mainly aiming exploratory stages by testing the South, and North Limbs of the Kerr Lake Diabase Arch. Further statements from the company had also stated that these areas have the potential for hosting ore-grade silver veins.