This property at the time had rather consisted of 40 acres of land, and lies directly south of J B 7 on the Town-Site of Cobalt, Ontario, Canada. All ownership at the time was also under W .G. Trethewey and R. W. Leonard of St Catherines, Ontario, Canada. Prior to the major staking rush, the claim was first located in the spring of 1904, but due to a dispute of ownership it wasn't place under development till 1905. At the time, several veins containing silver values were rather uncovered on this property, which were lying parallel and cutting the ridge at right angles. Development was mainly concentrated on only two of the veins within the operating year of 1905. Both of these veins had rather lied south of the boundary between J B. 6 and J. B. 7, and were parallel to the main vein on the latter. Most of the development planing at the time was focus on open cut methods when the No. 1 vein was further exposed in a valley west of it for 75 feet on the vein. Drifting at the time had rather taken place when the 75-foot level was opened up for 90 feet to the east, and 60 feet to the west. At about 6 feet in from the shaft, a crosscut was driven south for 30 feet in order to cut the No. 2 Vein. It was rather at the junction of the vein when a raise was put through to the surface, in which had been well timbered, and was used as a permanent working shaft. Much of the inside of this raise had also measured 5 by 8 feet, with a hoist way that was 5 by 4 feet, and a ladder-way that was 5 by 3 1/2 feet. Drifting was rather done to the east, and west on the No. 2 vein and a crosscut on the easterly drift of the No. 1 vein became driven to explore a new vein discovered by the north boundary line. Construction of the much needed surface buildings had included an ore house, and shaft house, and hoisting was done by the means of a Duplex cylinder, 5 by 5 inche Jenches Hoist. Power supply to run this mining operation was obtained from the central power plant on historical claim J. B. 7.
Underground development was rather being done on two levels at 75-feet and 150-feet below the surface. Lateral development within this time period was mainly aimed at expanding the drifts on the veins, and cutting out the roof of these drifts. It was also at this point in time when a large section was being timbered in preparation for stoping, and breaking down the ore on the stope within the Northerly vein area. Most of this work was rather being done above the first level, and work was carried out on vein Nos. 8 and 9, which were the most southerly veins. Drifting on these veins was also carried on for 200 feet that was being done on the No. 8 and 9 veins at the time. At the time, an internal winze shaft was also being collared on the No. 9 vein zone. Drifting was also done on the 150 foot level when it became advanced to the west on a vein that now became the No. 6 vein. It was also currently known as the No. 3 vein zone as it was advanced by 200 feet of the total drifting done, and a raise was put through to the first level in the vein. The No. 6 vein is commonly known to have continued in an east-southeast from the shaft, and had been drifted on for about 300 feet. As development became advanced it was also reported that several off-shoot of the vein were also being widely explored. Even more changes were added when a crosscut was expanded north to the No. 2 vein at a distance of 200 feet, and drifting on it to the east was then commenced. Development on the Coniagas Mine Site had continued onward when a total of 2,100 feet of drifting was done.
Much of the main shaft house on the No. 6 vein at the time was rather 85 feet high, and hoisting of the ore was done by an automatic skip. Ore that becomes hoisted from the shaft is then dumped into a shoot leading to the mill, and the shaft was also equipped with pockets for filling the skip. Far more changes were also made when a new hoist with an increasing capacity was added to the No. 2 Shaft operation. Operations of this hoist are rather done in the engine house of the milling facility, in which was designed to have 30 stamps for concentration purposes. Ore is then fine grinded in a ball mill and a Huntingdon mill in order to be processed in much finer powder.Other installations had also followed suit when additional tables were place in the mill in order to handle the increasing capacity of 80 tonnes per day. Some stoping was however done but a lot of the mill tonnage had mainly came from development at the time.
Another Shaft known as the No. 4 was also sunken within the operating year of 1909, in which had reach a depth of 55 feet below the surface. Milling operations at the time were also roughly treating a total of 70 tonnes of ore on a daily basis. Most of the work within that time period was being achieved by thirty stamps in the latter part of 1909, with the use of tables to handle the product. An increase in power supply would also increase the production to 150 or 160 tonnes of ore daily.
At the time, Coniagas Mines, Limited had also owned capital stock of the Coniagas Reduction Company. Most of this newly developed plant was rather situated in Thorold, and had treated the whole entire production from the Coniagas Mine. Following this, it was also stated that a total of 315 tonnes of ore was also treated by purchasing it from other mining operations. Other extensions to the mill were also made in order to refine the nickel and cobalt, along with the silver and arsenic.
Development work at the time was mainly confined to the level in the No. 2 Shaft at a depth of 225 feet. Levels by 1911 were also being further extended on the mines 75, 150, and 225-foot level of the Coniagas Mine. Extensive development work that was done had been mainly confined to the second, and third level. Drifts at the time were rather driven on the vein with much of the ore being blocked out as mining operations continued onward. Upon examination it was also reported that these veins had mainly strike in an east, and west direction. Development had also revealed further vein discoveries which were widely being explored by drift south of the main shaft. It was also at this point in time when underground work was first commenced on the southern portion of the lot. Total lateral development work that was completed had consisted of 71 feet of shaft sinking, 3,335 feet of drifting, 811 feet of crosscutting, 20 feet of winzes, 184 feet of raises, and 40,304 tonnes of ore became stoped. Additions were also made towards the stamp mill when it was upgrade to 60 stamps, and capable of treating 180 tonnes of ore per day. It was also considered as the third largest mill within the camp, and much of the ore was largely being concentrated. The picture below shows the total work that was completed by the Coniagas Mines, Limited from the start of mining operations.
A considerable amount of development was under taken during 1913, when the company had continued to extend their underground workings. As this had taken place, a total of 2,160 feet of drifting, 1,655 feet of crosscutting, 77 feet of winzes, 104 feet of raising and 47,370 tonnes of stoping was completed. Milling that was done had rather been operated at 2.95 tons per stamp, in which the total prosessed ore had amounted 54.890 tonnes. Much of the mill-heads at the time were roughly processing 28.3 ounces per ton, and the average for the tailings was 4.23 ounces per ton. It was also within 1913, when Lot. No. 290 was purchased with the mining rights in order to accompany the employees by building houses. A total of 6 acres which had adjoined the companies westerly boundary was also leased at the time, in order to obtain suitable land for employees.
Total shipments of silver aggergate were now standing at 20,000,000 million ounces within the operating period of 1914. The Coniagas Mines, Limited had also calculated their ore reserves with the help of Mr. Rogers who estimated this mine to contain 11,904,000 ounces of silver. A large quantity of silver was also shipped from the mine site in which had a recovery of 2,497,394.68 ounces. All of this production had came from 484.88 tonnes of mined ore, and 688.44 tonnes of concentrated ore. Milling operations at the time had also ran at 98% of possible time, and would end up processing 54,522 tonnes of ore at an average of 2.93 per stamp. Mill-heads during 1914, were rather slightly down to 24 ounces of silver per tonne, with an average recovery of 4.21 ounces from tailings. High grade concentrate at the time had also consisted of shipping 496.4 tonnes of ore, and the lower grade slimes had amounted to 251.8 tonnes. Total production from this had also average 2,030 ounces per ton, and 151 ounces respectively.
Mining operations during the operating year of 1914, were now confined to further expanding the No. 4 Shaft operation that was on the opposite side of the Cobalt Post Office. Most of the major construction was aimed at erecting a shaft house, and hoist house, and the No. 4 Shaft was completed to the 4th level. A considerable amount of shaft sinking was also done that amounted 802 feet, compared to 610 feet that was done in 1913. Lateral development was also extensive during the year that had amounted to 15,982 feet of drifting, 6,805 feet of crosscutting, 519 feet of winzes, and 895 feet of raising. For the time being, a large amount of ore was also removed from the Coniagas Mining Operation by 1914. This large scale tonnage had amounted to 35,293 tonnes from crosscutting, and waste, 52,846 tonnes from drifting, 249,395 tonnes from stoping, 4,780 tonnes from open cutting, 2,554 tonnes from shaft sinking. and 4,151 tonnes from winzes, and raises.
Set backs were also made for the Coniagas Mines, Limited, when it had acquired the Agaunico Mine in Lot. 15, concession 1, Bucke Township. It had also consisted of historical claims C 1030, and C 1141 on the Gillie Limited properties at the time of operations in 1915. Other major construction was also followed suit when a Canvas Table Plant was constructed, and housed in a 60 by 70 foot building. The reasoning for constructing this plant was mainly aimed a processing 70 tonnes per day at 6 ounces of silver from the slim process. Other production was taken from the newly installed 6 ton cyanide plant that was equipped with Butters Filter, and Dorr Agitators. Most of the purpose for developing this plant was mainly aimed at treating the decomposed material which would be have been delivered to the head of the mill, and also the concentrates from the Canvas Table. Milling operations during 1915, had treated 55,437 tonnes of ore that average 3.02 tons per stamp, and had a mill-head of 24 ounces. Development at the time of operating in 1915, was also continued as 73 feet of shaft sinking was done, along with 626 feet of drifting, 1,910 feet of crosscutting, 17 feet of winzes, and 109 feet of raising.
During 1916, the Coniagas Mines, Limited had rather operated its project in Cobalt, Ontario, Canada. From all production it was reported that the mine had processed a little over one million and three quarters of ounces in 1916. All of this had also became shipped and would end up bringing the total production of silver to 24,000,000 ounces produce from the mine. Production in 1915, had also amounted to 56,972 tonnes of ore that became milled during that year of operating the Coniagas Silver Mining operation. Lateral development that was completed had amounted to 875 feet of shaft sinking, 17,611 feet of drifting, 9,527 feet of crosscutting, 632 feet of winzes, and 1,067 feet of raising.
In 1917, the Coniagas Silver Mine was rather undergoing extensive exploration stages as most of the work was confined to exploring smaller vein areas. At the time, this had also resulted in extensive underground development on all levels, and exploring the easterly contact. Prior to this, it had also resulted in even more extensive lateral development when a number of crosscuts were drive for quite some distance at the time. Much of the development work that was completed had disclosed some patches of high-grade ore, and a considerable tonnage of low grade milling ore. Other statements had also reported that the further discovery of rich ore-shoots was more considered unlikely, in which the whole entire mine was prospected. A large amount of lateral work had also continued as 879 feet of shaft sinking was done, along with 18,834 feet of drifting, 10,295 feet of crosscutting, 632 feet of winzes, and 1,396 feet of raising.
A large amount of ore that was treated, and mine was also shipped to Thorold, in which had recovered 1,344,267.43 ounces of silver. Most of this had came from the concentrating mill when a total of 60,929 tonnes was processed. Other changes were also made when the Callow Flotation Plant was place into operation on February, 6, 1917. As to placing this plant into operation it had also effected a material reduction in the value pf the mill tailing at the time. Ore reserves to the end of 1917, were rather estimated at 4,487,590 ounces of silver that was still within the Coniagas Silver Mine Project.
Production for the year ending in 1918, had rather produce 974,264 ounces of silver from their mining operation in Cobalt, Ontario, Canada. By this time it was also reported that the total shipments of silver that came from the Coniagas Silver Mie Project had shipped 26,000,000 ounces of silver in total to Thorold. Silver prices at that time of operating where rather sky rocketing in prices as one ounce was well worth $94.14 at the time. Prices on silver were rather increasing at steady pace as one ounce of silver was worth $79.98 in 2017, and $63.11 in 1916. Much of the ore that was mined and concentrated during the year had been done at a net cost of 33.87 per ounce produced. A considerable amount of ore was also processed during that time period when the mill had concentrated 68,597 tonnes of mine ore. Concentrates that became shipped were rather high-grade, in which 529.51 tonnes, averaging 1,164.10 ounces per ton were produced. Processing of the ore had rather still continued when this had also contributed 866.77 tonnes, averaging 244.81 ounces per tonne. There was also a short decrease in mill heads during the year that had rather amounted out to 15.94 ounces of silver per ton. Other down falls were also made when the cyanide plant that was operating on the Canvas Tables concentrates had shut down on November, 20th, 1917. Most of this was done prior to adapting a new flotation method known as the Callow Flotation Process that became adapted. Prior to adapting this new process the Callow Flotation Plant was also increased by another unit, and treated all tailings from the Mill Concentrates. Assays that were made on the final tailing at the time had rather contained 1.75 ounces of silver compared to 2.98 ounces the previous year. Estimations were also made on the ore supply when it was considered that the mine had a total of 3 years in production still left within it.
For the most part, development was rather continued onward as the company had continued to operate its Coniagas Silver Mine Project. Lateral development for the year ending in 1918, had amounted to 879 feet of shaft sinking, 632 feet of winze sinking, 10,295 feet of crosscutting, 18,834 feet of drifting, and 1,296 feet of raising. Development at the time was mainly confined to levels below the 150-foot level of the Coniagas Silver Mine Project in 1918.
The year of 1919, was rather a big change for the mine as most development was being confined to following stringers of ore on all levels. Development work was also confined to driving cross-cuts through unexplored areas, and following known veins below the fault zone. As development continued onward a large tonnage of low grade mill ore was taken with occasional high grade patches of silver. Reserves on broken ore was also decreased by 8,153 tonnes during the operating year of 1919, in which contained 3,051.93 ounces of silver.
Other upgrades were also following suit when the Callow Flotation Plant, had a third unit added in 1919. The main purposes for adding a third unit was mainly aimed a treating all tailing from the concentrating mill, and all re-ground sand from the tailings pile. This had rather effect an extraction of 65.99%, in which had left a tailing of 1.38 ounces of silver to go to waste. At the time, shipments of the flotation concentrate had amounted to 630.55 tonnes of dry weight, averaging 335.27 ounces per ton.This had also became followed by Re-treatment of sand tailings from the tailings pile that was carried on during the year with the exception of the month of January, February, March, and April. A large amount of tailings re-ground and re-treatment had also accumulated to a total amount of 20,683 tonnes, from which an average of 1.89 ounces of silver per ton was recovered. From this production, the Coniagas Mines, Limited had rather estimated that a total of 42,569.9 tons, and 134,430 tonnes containing 436,897 ounces of silver had still remained. Additionally there was also 40,000 tonnes of slime tailings which had rather contained further ore reserves of 240,000 ounces of silver. Some production concentrates, along with mine ore, and half of the slime had also been shipped to the Coniagas Reduction Company's mill in Thorold, Ontario, Canada. Further reports from the general managers had stated that the remaining slime tailings were also purchase and shipped to the American Smelting & Refining Company of Denver, Colorado, United States.
Much of the ore that became concentrated during that time period of operating had produce 994,235 ounces of silver. It was also within this time period when the Concentrating Mill, and Flotation Plant had operated continuously throughout the year of 1920. A large amount of ore at the time was also milled in which the mill had treated 97,634.3 tonnes. Signifcant decreases in mill heads had also caused factors to the production of silver as the ore that was treated had contained 10.22 ounces of silver per ton. High-Grade concentrate shipments within the operating year of 1920, had amounted to388.60 tones, and contained1,754.6 ounces of silver per ton.
Re-treatments of old sand tailing were also continued onward, and had only stop during the winter months in 1920. This had produce a total reclaimed tonnage of 37,695 tonnes, which was re-grounded and re-treated, and an average of 1.94 ounces of silver per ton was recovered. Since the start of re-treating, and re-grounding sand tailings, it was reported that 80,624.9 tonnes was re-treated, and 96,735.1 tons, containing 314,389 ounces of silver remained to be treated.
Other ways of recovering silver was also made when a system of reclaiming old slime tailings was put in use. Reclaiming procedures had rather kept on operating till October, 15, 1919 when the lack of air power had rather place a temporary shut down on this method. A total of 6,440 tonnes of slime, averaging tailings of 1.0 ounces of silver per ton was treated with an average extraction of 83.87%, and an average tailing of 1.0 ounces. The total production from the Coniagas Mine to date was rather known for recovering 28,188,763 ounces since the starting of operations. Milling that was done had also been rather extensive since the starting of operations that had processed 693,440.1 tonnes at the time. Flotation methods at the plant had also continued to treat all tailing produce from the concentrating mill, and all re-ground sand from the tailing piles. It would also resulted in a total extraction percentage of 62.75%, in which had left a tailing of 1.43 ounces of silver that was left as waste.
Exploratory development work was continued in 1921, as it was mainly aimed at exploring further small blocks of undeveloped ground. As development proceeded the company had also place production on small stringer veins and stoping operations on these newly discovered veins. Prior to this, the company, and it's workforce would also develop a low grade tonnage of ore to be milled from this location. It was also within that year when the main underground electric hualage system was completed. Lateral development that was done during the operating year of 1921, had resulted in 595 feet of drifting, 112 feet of crosscutting, 23 feet of winze sinking, and the stoping of 110,840 tonnes of ore. Shipments of high-grade ore had also amounted to 25.46 tonnes of dry weight, averaging 4,406.63 ounces per ton.
Conentrating and flotation was also continued onward throughout the operating year of 1921, and a considerable amount of ore was milled. From all production the mill concentrator had process 113,279 tonnes of ore. There was also a short increase in mill-heads that had produce 11.3 ounces per ton, and the total shipments of high-grade concentrate had amounted to 402.47 tons, averaging 1,950.26 ounces of silver. Much of the flotation plant that had treated the mill concentrate tailings, and re-ground sand from the tailings had made an extraction of 68.29%, in which left a tailing of 1.62 ounces of silver. All flotation concentrates that were produce had also amounted to 536.88 tonnes, averaging 655.24 ounces of silver per tonne.
At the time, old sand tailings were also being treated during 1921, in which had amounted to 19,125 tons, and an average of two ounces per ton was recovered. Other processes of cyanitation from old slime tailings was also carried on from May, 17 to October, 31, 1921, in which had yield 50,000 ounces of silver from 14,931.6 tonnes. Total production for the year ending in 1921, had resulted in a shipment of 1,301,514.91 ounces of silver to the Coniagas Reduction Company's Mill in Thorold, Ontario, Canada.