Cobalt, Ontario, Canada was rather transforming in the beginning of the early 1900's, when several silver discoveries became uncovered within this geological region. More so the area was overly populated by many prospectors and companies who we're on a mission to uncover the rich silver ore that was hidden beneath the solid hard rock. One of these famous companies became notice as the Buffalo Mines Limited who had owned and operated the newly discovered Buffalo Silver Mine Project of 1906. In terms of its discovery the company had went under its own exploration procedures that soon uncovered a rich silver ore-body. More so the Buffalo Mines Limited would end up constructing its very first shaft operation that was sunken to a depth of 120 feet below the shaft collar. As this had occurred the company would also develop two ore producing levels that became situated on the mines 80 foot section and its 140 foot section. In nature these sections had started to open up the first and second level with a whack of drifting and crosscutting procedures that took place. During this time period the company would also hoist a large amount of ore that was mainly being stock piled at the time. It was also notice that the main owner of this mining operation and company was strongly known as Mr. Chas L. Denison of New York City.
As mining operations had commenced the company would additionally start on development procedures of a newly developed milling facility. Much of this had taken place within 1907, when the Buffalo Silver Mine was experiencing its own production. Company officials from the Buffalo Mines Limited had also needed this plant to treat and process all the ore that was coming from the Buffalo Silver Mine Project. Never to say most of this ore was becoming overly stock piled as the company it self had not fully developed this mining operation. As mining continued the company would additionally establish more shaft operations towards this massive silver mining project, Each of these historical shafts became notice as the No. 4, 5, 6, 10, 11 and 12 shaft operations that became sunken to a depth of 165 feet below the surface at the time.
By the following year in 1908, the Buffalo Mines Ltd would additionally commence further drifting procedures in order to connect all the shaft together. It also became evident that all the ore was being trammed from underground and hoisted by the main No. 6 shaft operation. As the ore became hoisted from the underground workings it was then trammed to the on-site milling facility in order to be further treated and processed. More so the company and its hardworking miners had not commenced production within the No. 6 vein zone as the ore was being broken down from the stopes within the first level of the No. 6 shaft. Further development was also escalated when the miners had start another drift section that was driven to the east in order to connect with the No. 5 shaft operation. It was even reported that a small amount of ore was being extracted from the stope sections within the second level of the No. 6 shaft operation. Company officials from the Buffalo Mines Ltd would also commence development procedures within the main crosscut that was driven for a distance of 714 feet. More so this became establish because the company wanted to intersect the No. 3 vein zone that was located to the east side of this mining operation. At about 406 feet from the No. 6 vein a drift has been driven for a distance of 225 feet in order to connect with a much small vein zone. Another drift was then further expanded to the west from the No. 3 vein zone at a distance of 231 feet from the main crosscut mentioned earlier. During this time period the company was also further expanding the east drift at distance of 167 feet from the main crosscut section that started a whole new development of a crosscut that became driven for a for a distance of 46 feet. Most of this development became constructed because the company was following another vein zone that had its own strike to the east and to the west of this mining operation. Nevertheless, the Buffalo Mines Ltd would also engineer a new internal winze shaft that was sunken to about 75 feet to the east of this vein zone. More ground became opened up when a drift was driven northeast for a distance of 125 feet and had also continued to the east for 60 feet. Even further development was now commencing when a crosscut was being constructed to a distance of 170 feet within this level in order to connect with the No. 3 vein zone.
Production and development was also further escalated in 1908, when the company had started developing the first level of the No. 5 shaft operation. More so this level alone was strongly considered to be following the No. 5 vein zone as it became opened up by a long drift section. Besides further expanding the drift section the Buffalo Mines Ltd. had also created safer workings when timbers became place in preparation for stoping procedures. This method was also known for supporting the mine workings while also providing more working room for the miners who dedicated their lives towards this production. Nothing else became construct within the first level of the No. 5 shaft operation at this time. Never to say the company and its miners would further expand the second level when a drift was being expanded in correspondents with the first level that was achieving far more development. It also became evident that the company would further support these workings by placing timbers in order to extract the broken down ore from the stope section. Most of these stopes had also been measured to be 20 feet in height compared to most mining operation within Ontario, Canada that carry more large stope sections. Even mining was considered to be a challenging task as the drifts had only been 5 feet wide, and could not support heavy machinery as the veins were rather very fin. Not to mention the methods used in these operations had only consisted of overhand method in extracting the rich silver ore.
More development had soon taken place when the Buffalo Mines Limited and its team of miners had commence construction phase on the No. 4 shaft that was following the No. 4 vein zone. Within the first level it became notice that the drift was being further extended in order to connect with the No. 10 and 11 vein zones that were located within the No. 10 and 11 shaft operations. Much of this section is rather believed to have been opened up by the method of open cuts that are at a depth of 25 feet.
Another shaft known as the No. 12 shaft operation is rather located on the southeast corner of the claim that has been sunken to a depth of 180 feet. It also became opened up by two producing levels that became cut and stationed on the mines 80 and 140 foot sections Drifting within the first level has been driven for a distance of 175 feet northwest and continues southwest for another 122 feet before coming to a stop. During this time period the company and its dedicated team of miners would additionally establish short drifts that acted as off shoots from the main vein zones. Much of this development had started to take place at a distance of 73 feet from the No. 12 shaft operation. More development would also occur when the company had started placing timbers in preparation for stoping procedures as little ore was being broken down during this time period. As this became establish the company would also focus on opening up the second level when a drift was extended northeast for a distance of 75 feet, and continued southwest for 50 feet. However. the company and its team of miners would not construct any stope section within this level at this time period.
Soon enough the mine was once again transforming when a series of surface development had taken place. Most of this development was aimed at expanding the main shaft house of the No. 6 shaft as it was now reaching its own height of 70 feet. It also became strengthened so that the ore could be easily delivered to the on-site milling facility directly for processing and treatment. This whole entire expansion would also enlarge the milling facility while also increasing its productivity as the silver ore was mainly being concentrated at the time. By 1908, the company and its team of hardworking miners would also fully complete the development of the cyanide plantion but it wasn't considered to be operational during this time of completion. By this time period the company had also started new engineering phases towards the stone boiler house.
By 1911, the whole entire mining operation was rather transforming when the newly engineered milling plantation was up and running. More so this whole entire milling facility had its own components that included a 500 H.P Boiler, and its very own 12 drill Compressor. Milling operations at the newly constructed plant were able to process a total of 145 tons of concentrate that was also being treated at its on-site Cyanide Plantation. By this time period the Buffalo Mines Limited had also engineered, and installed hoists on its No. 4, 6 and 12 shaft operations. Power was mainly taken from compressed air and had also been approved to install electrical power to the mine site by the Northern Ontario Light and Power Company. This huge change would also make technology even more greater for these large producing silver mining operations that were just becoming developed. Even the two vein zones became establish at about 550 feet apart from each other as they were known to have strike to east and to the west of this mining operation. During this time period the Buffalo Mines Ltd had also commence construction phase towards the No. 5 and 6 shaft operations that were located on the Northerly vein system. It became evident that the company and its crew had sunken these shafts to the second level of the Buffalo Mining Operation. More so a wide section of drifts had been extended to the easterly boundary line of this mining operation for a distance of 560 feet west of the No. 6 shaft operation
Within 1911, the company would also engineer further development on the No. 4 shaft operation when it was being expanded to the fourth mine level. Each of these levels became cut and stationed on the mines 80, 150, 225, and 300 foot sections. As this development had occurred the Buffalo Mines Ltd. had other ideas when it connected with the No. 4 and 6 shaft operation from the first and third levels. Much of the ore from the southerly vein zone was being trammed to the No. 6 shaft operation where it was then being hoisted to the surface tramline. From here the rich silver ore was then being trammed to the milling facility before going through the cyanide plantation procedures. Even development on the first level that was following the southerly vein zone was strongly considered to have been expanded for a distance of 700 feet.
Another series of underground development had occurred on the No. 12 shaft operation when It was sunken to the fourth mining level. Much of this location had extracted all of its ore from the open stopes that became broken down and exhausted during this time period. In addition the mining operation was well off within its development phases when a whack of lateral development was achieved. Much of this development would included 1,019 feet of sinking,10,185 feet of drifting, and 47,215 cubic yards of stoping procedures. Company officials from the Buffalo Mine Ltd had also added the much need upgrades towards the milling facility when it had added Dorr thickener, and additional slime tables. In addition the company would also install the much need equipment towards the Cyanide Plantation when it had added agitating tanks, and precipitating boxes, and the tailings from the slime tables are also re-treated within this phase. From about 45 tons of milled rock, about one ton of concentrate is produced within these procedures.
By 1912, the Buffalo Silver Mine was rather being expanded when more drifting, sinking, and stoping became accomplished. As this had occurred the mine managers had completed a full estimation of the lateral development completed within the No. 6 shaft operation. Much of this had included 86 feet of shaft sinking, 1,514 feet of drifting, and 56,931 cubic feet of stoping. By this time the company, and its employees had hoisted a total of 50,000 tons of ore that became treated and processed. All of this ore was rather being treated in the Buffalo Low Mill as the much larger mill was not quite finish yet. With new indication of high-grade ore the company decided to construct a much larger milling facility that was able to process the high-grade ore by November 1912. Much of tis method was also believed to have been similar to the processing method used by the Nipissing Mining Company. No other development or production had escalated during this time period as the mine was undergoing further examination to uncover more reserves.
Within the following year of 1913, the company was well off with its own production when anther series of lateral development became establish. Most of this had included 1,979 feet of drifting, 92 feet of raising, and 62,844 cubic feet of stoping that became estimated. Even production and development was taking place through out all shaft as it was being tremmed to the No. 6 shaft operation. From here the company would end up producing 71,042 tons of material that was being processed in the low grade mill. As this had occurred the company would also process and treat 11,744 tons of ore in the cyanide plantation, while also treating 1,116 tons of high-grade material, and concentrate. From this outcome the Buffalo Mines Ltd would additionally produce 1,668,763 ounces of silver from the high-grade mill, while also shipping 57 tons of concentrate that made this mine process 1,752,199 ounces of pure silver within this year alone.
A major shut down would occur in the year of 1914, when the Low-Grade and High-Grade Mills became closed down for three months. During this time period the company would also down size its own workforce from 260 men to only 70. As this had occurred much of all development was being focus towards all vein zones that were being extracted and trammed to the No. 6 shaft operation. By the end of 1914, the company would additionally add more employees that had totalled 200 men. No other development or production had occurred during this time period of shutting both milling facilities down.
The 1915's became a prosperous year for the Buffalo Mines Limited when the No. 6 shaft was sunken to the fifth mine level. As this all had occurred the company would additionally construct further lateral development towards this operation when 2,009 feet of shaft sinking, 18,486 feet of drifting, and 2,657,542 cubic feet of stoping became completed. The first level of the No. 6 shaft was also opened up by 128 feet of drifting, 80 feet of raising, and 30,152 cubic feet of stoping. Development was also being carried out on the second level that included 950 feet of drifting, 268 feet of raising, and 112,598 cubic feet of stoping. Even the third level was opened up by 480 feet of drifting, 300 feet of raising, and 123,271 cubic feet of stoping. All development on the fourth mine level was strongly considered to have been opened up by 140 feet of drifting, 30 feet of raising, and 25,615 cubic feet of stoping. The last level known as the fifth mine level was also being developed during this time period when 60 feet of drifting, and 30 feet of raising was completed. Never to say the company and its own workforce had not constructed any stopes within the fifth mine level at this time.
All milling operation within 1915, had treated and processed 37,152 tons of ore, and also had included 1,005 tons of sand and slime tailings. From this production the company would treat 30,079 tons of ore that average 19.5 ounces of silver per a ton, that was treated by wet concentration, and had yielded 431,512 ounces of pure silver, while 8,078 tons, averaging 25.46 ounces of silver per a ton were treated by combined concentration, and oil floatation with a recovery of 197,601 ounces of silver. The Cyanide plant during this time period would also treat 6,340 tons of slime averaging 10.54 ounces of silver per a ton, and 55,161 oz of silver became recovered. More so the company would add a new recovery grade from the mill and cyanide plant that totalled 684,274 ounces of silver. In general production the mill had treated a stunning recovery of 705,055 ounces of silver from all production that year. As processing and treating had taken place the company would also try a new experiment with the use of a 50 ton oil floation plant that used a new process called the Callow Process. More so this process had work for the Buffalo Mines Ltd to start a new plant that was determined as a 600 ton oil floatation plant. During this time period the main president who was in charge of this company was strongly known as Charles .L Denison of New York City.
More development was soon escalated in 1916, when the mine was once again transforming from all the development that took place. During this year the Buffalo Mines Ltd. and its hardworking miners had further expanded the first level when 60 feet of raising, 1,150 feet of drifting, and 120,800 cubic feet of stoping was establish.. Even more development was soon taking place on the second level when it was further opened up by 90 feet of raising, 455 feet of drifting, and 76,000 cubic feet of stoping. Another section known as the third mine level had also experience new expansions when it became further opened up by 90 feet of raising, 75 feet of drifting, and 27,100 cubic feet of stoping. During this year the Buffalo Mines Ltd had estimated the mine to contain 2,249 feet of shaft sinking, 20, 166 feet of drifting, and 2,881,442 cubic feet of stoping within all development.
More so the company would also hoist another massive tonnage of ore that had totalled 25,258 tons of broken ore from the stopes, which 3,108 tons was waste rock used for filling the stopes. As the ore became extracted it became evident that a total of 14, 452 tons was considered to have been hoisted to the mill, and 7,698 tons was added to the reserves of broken ore in the stopes. The mill alone had treated 14,452 tons of ore from the mine by combination of concentration, and oil floatation, and 35,507 tons of sand tailings by flotation methods. Most of the ore was then recovered by the use of jigs and table concentrates that produce 207,174 ounces of pure silver bullion, and in floatation concentrates it was known for producing 117,462 ounces, making a total of 324,636 ounces of silver. The Cyanide plant it self was considered to have treated 3,038 tons of slimes and middlings from the concentrator and floatation plant, with a recovery of 32,282 ounces. More so the tailings from the massive cyanide plant were then treated by flotation, and a further recovery was also made when 4,706 ounces were produced. Company officials from the Buffalo Mines Limited would also add their very own Holt-Dern Roasting furnace and the ercection of a newly engineering leeching plantation. At the time the company had already stock piled 275,000 tons of sand tailings that had contained 1,400,000 ounces of silver, and was also awaiting production of 3,000 tons of residues at its high-grade milling facility.