Name of Mine/Occurrence:
Mine or Occurrence:
Ore Grade: 2.25 oz. Ag, 40.20% Pb
Geology: Granitized Diabase with calcite veining and galena stringers
it was in 1926, that became the initial period when the Conway Pb-Ag Prospect was discovered during logging operations in Township 22. Most of this discovery was additionally made by J. Conway, who was a former employee of the Hope Lumber Company. In addition to this, he would go onto staking this portion of land that totalled 9 claim units that were registered by November, 26, 1926. This principal showing had rather occurred on the shore and near the outlet of a lake draining south into the Little Garden River. Access to this property was mainly reached by the Glendale-Ranger Lake Road, at the point of departure being about 20 miles east of Glendale on the Algoma Central Railway Line. It was at this point where a logging road was constructed by the Hope Lumber Company to Camps No. 5 and 7 which runs northward for 5 miles to the workings.
By 1927, the property was optioned out as the Canadian Exploration Survey, which was represented by B. F. Hoyt, who took an option on the property. This resulted in staking out a number of claims in the area, and had commenced development of the original showings in the area. By doing so, this resulted in constructing a long dam at the outlet of the lake, and effective measures were made to follow the vein across the partly exposed, ooze-filled creek bed. Exploration work at this time was carried out under the supervision of W. H. Read until, August, 1927, when all work was discontinued. Prospecting at this time would result in uncovering several other occurrence of Galena that were discovered, in which a large quantity was found on historical claim No. 5,000.
The Conway Deposit is known to occur in an area of pre-Huronian gneiss and schists lying near the west margin of a batholithic mass of pink granite (Keweenawan) which underlies much of township 3H (now jolleteau) and 3G ( now Hughes). Upon geological examinations it was found that the intrusive contact is marked by a broad and poorly defined zone consisting of hybrid gneisses, lenses of schist, small offshoots of pink granite, and numerous narrow, pegmatite dikes. In the immediate area of the workings, the bed of rock is partially covered by a mantel of glacial drifts in places as much as 12 feet thick.
These principal showing are rather located in the northwest corner of historical claim No. 4751 and occurs along a shear zone which follows, in part, with the contact between chloritic schist and lamprophyre dike of 2 to 5 feet wide. The general zone in the area has a strike of N. 55 degrees W, and in places is as much as 12-inches thick in width. Tracing of this zone has been additionally traced by pits and trenches for approximately 150 feet. Its also at intervals, where the lenses and stringers of gneissitic galena, 1 to 4-inches wide and several feet long occur. Mineralization within the area consists of minor amounts of zinc blende, pyrite, and quartz that are usually present. Mineralization generally occurs between wall of brecciated, slickensided, iron staining chloritic schist. Stringers of calcite are commonly known to rather cut both ore and schist in places.
The map below shows where the deposits and geological areas of work were confined to mapping of the area in the shearing. One of the very first discoveries on this portion of the map was additionally discovered at the A section where a few stringers of galena and calcite were exposed near the shore of the lake. Its from this point that the shear zone has also been traced for 50 feet. At Section B, and C on the map, an open cut pit was sunk in schist, but shows no mineralization. At the D section of the map, an open cut through glacial drift had uncovered the shear zone on which a pit was sunk for 14 feet. Its reported that lens of galena that are 12-inches wide were encountered at the bottom of this pit. At section E, and F of the map, a pit was sunk in this area through 4 to 12 feet of drift without uncovering the shear zone in this area. On historical claim No. 5000 several scattered stringers of galena occur along a tight plane of shearing in granite gneiss were uncovered by stripping, but no where did they appear to be mineralized of interest.
A selected sample consisting largely of galena, was taken from this principal showing on claim No. 4751 and summited to the Provincial Assay Office. These results at the time had indicated 2.25 oz. Ag, and 40.20% Pb that was associated with the sampled galena ore. The mineralization in the area is so far unknown in regards to its importance as glacial drift covering covers much of the area where shearing is exposed
During 1955, Argoma Uranium Mines, Ltd, acquired this property to its assets in order to further conduct exploration work on the Conway Property area. The property at this time had generally consisted of 18 unpatented mining claims in Hughes Township. The company had mainly carried out surface exploration work and sampling on the main showing, in addition to geologically mapping the area. Bulk Sampling which was done on the property had returned assay values of 10.75 oz. Ag, 22.57% Pb, and 0.88% Zn. Another sample that was taken at this time had returned 17.20 oz. Ag, 60.53% Pb, 1.60% Zn, Nil in Ni, and a trace of Au.
The general area is largely covered by granitized diabase with shearing that occurs in the general area, The diabase in this general area is also lightly to heavily mineralized with galena and important silver that resulted in 2.25 oz. Ag and 40.20% Pb. Stingers of calcite are also largely distributed and diamond drilling by St. Regis Lead Mines had intersected this diabase dyke down to 46.0 feet in 1949. At depth it was largely reported that calcite had occurred in places that was fairly well mineralized with galena stringers. It was from 50.0 to 51.7 feet where drilling had intersected altered diabase, and from 51.8 to 52.0 feet, chloritic schist was observed before the hole was ended. Mineralization largely consists of galena stringers that are commonly associated to calcite and contain higher grade silver values. Extensive glacial covering within the area is also very common which allows little potential for surface sampling programs. The area is generally underlain by granitic gneiss which becomes intrude by diabase dykes. These dykes are considered to also vary in width, trend, that strikes in a northwest- southeast direction, and are from over a few hundred feet to 2 miles in length.
Silver-lead deposits that occur on this property are generally associated to areas of Pre-Huronian Gneiss and schists lying partially between to batholith masses. of intrusive granite. The contact within the area is also marked by a much broad zone of gneiss, schist, and small intrusions of pink granite with inclusions of quartz-calcite, cut in places by narrow pegmatite dykes. This principal showing is rather located within a much sheared zone that's associated with this formation of granitized gneiss and schist diabase dyke.