Another fascinating mining project that had soon sprung into action within Timmins of Northern Ontario was commonly identified as the Legendary Akernite Gold Mine. Historically this mine was another precious base metal mine that had extracted a medium size gold and silver deposit zone. Much of all of this deposit zone was first discovered in 1911 that was located 11 kilometers southeast of Timmins, in Tilsdale Township. As drill results soon indicated a profitable natural occurring resource zone, the company was now ready to start on a whole new development phase which included building the company shaft. In general the who acquired this claim was strongly known as the Armstrong Mcgibbon Syndicate. These impressive corporate owners soon started on a shaft sinking phase that had establish the Buffalo Akernite No.1 shaft to about 60 feet below ground levels, Some other exploratory work phases also became establish in this general zone as company officials put further development towards trenching and drilling operations. More then 6,528 feet of core sample was taken from 11 different drilling programs which became completed by the New York Porcupine Mines Ltd. All of this development and explorational work had taken company officials 1 year to fully complete Nevertheless this geological zone was also considered to be in a formation belt known as the Keewatin Basalt Strike zone. The company eventually became in charge of sinking four shafts to its own mining empire as the mine had exploded into production. All of these shafts were also known to have been located at different depths. For example the No.1 shaft was sunken down to 45 feet and consisted of 17 feet of drifting, while the No. 2 shaft operation was known to be sunken down to 55 feet with 32 feet of crosscutting, and the final shaft which became known as the Akernite Mine No. 4 shaft was sunken to 45 feet with 32 feet of crosscutting. Soon enough another change would occur on the Akernite as the Coniagas Mines Ltd. had purchase the company and all of it projects in 1915. After being in production for almost two years, the new company who bought all of these assets from the former mining company would end up transferring all of its files to a newly establish corporation that was identified as the Akernite Gold Mines Ltd. The company soon started to proceed with further development when another three compartment shaft was sunken down to 200 feet and had establish 65 feet of workings on the mines 200 foot level. All of this newly constructed shaft production was officially completed on January, 31st 1918.
Another expansion on the New York Porcupine Mine No. 1 shaft was also under construction as corporate owners had now drilled this shaft production to about 273 feet. Eventually all of this expanding would end up creating two ore producing levels that became situated on the mines 125 and 250 foot levels. The first level that was constructed became stationed at 125 feet and it had only contributed 325 feet of lateral development towards its very own production. As the first level became establish, the next level was found on the mines 250 foot section which had supported this operation far more then the first level. Much of all the reasoning for this was because there was over 4,000 feet of lateral development which had provided a seam of high grade resources towards their very own production. So all production was mainly being focus on this section of the mining operation as significant amount of ore was being produced from this geological area. As expansions to the company shaft and levels were nearly completed, another development procedure was being establish below the mine's 250 foot section so that more ore production could be taken from the Akernite mining zone. This massive development phase had triggered company owners to construct another sub shaft known as a winze shaft to about 90 feet below the 250 foot level. In general all of this development was strongly carried out by the New York Porcupine Mines Limited from 1926 to 1928. Beside putting development phases towards the Company's No.1 shaft that was commonly reffered as the Armstrong shaft, the company also commence further production on the other shafts as the Farish shaft was now sitting at 60 feet, while the Watson Shaft was constructed to 125 feet and the final shaft known as the Air Shaft had only rested at 53 feet. After steady production had occurred for several years, the mine became abandoned and soon lapsed due to financial reasons. As abundance took place the mine was shortly after re-claimed in 1923 by another mining firm known as the United States Smelting and Refinery Company that was under option by the North American Gold Corporation. Although the had also soon ceased mining productions as underground sampling wasn't considered to be that promising. Another attempt at getting this mine running was soon started that same year as the mine site became purchased by the Porcupine Goldfield and Finance Company Ltd. These corporate figures had started on a whole new shaft operation towards all these silver and gold veins that kept on being discovered on this claim. So the newly establish four compartment shaft No.2 shaft was sunken down to about 149 feet and included several of its own workings that establish 2,239 feet of drifting, 1,099 feet of crosscutting, and 157 feet of raising. Nevertheless the ore that came from this historical zoon was soon being transported to the Mabuana Mill for further processing so the gold and silver could be sold for commercial value. All of the ore transportation from the company mine shaft was mainly being done by spur lines that connected the mine with the mill.
Soon enough company officials were able to extract more then 3,000 tons of high grade ore that became shipped from the Akernite Mine dump to the milling location that was leased by the Buffalo Arkenite Mines Ltd in 1933. The Akernite Mine would end up changing it own name to the Buffalo Arkenite Gold Mine in 1932. As production was at a steady pace, the New York Porcupine Mines Limited would end up selling the mining zone to the Hollinger Gold Mines Ltd in 1937. As mine production continue within the Buffalo Akernite Mine Zone, the Hollinger Gold Mines Ltd had soon done some of their own work when they establish a massive diamond drilling program that estimated 14,000 feet of core sampling to be assayed at the lab. As new results became encouraging the company didn't resume further production on the mine as it was completely put on hold from 1938 to 1952.
In 1936, the property was later optioned by the Buffalo Ankerite Mines Limited who was in complete control of this mining operation. More so the company would end up expanding this mining zone when the claim now had comprised of 9 claim blocks, It was strongly reported that five of these claims had been purchased from the Marbuan Mines Limited. Another massive purchase was made when the company decided to acquire an 80% interest in all the claims that the McKay Lake Gold Mines Limited had owned.
The Buffalo Ankerite Gold Mine was rather transforming in 1936, when the company decided to put to massive mills into production. Each of these historical mills had been known to have treated a total of 271,736 tons of ore that came from the mining operation. Most of this whole entire processing phase had yield its very own gold production that had processed 53,876 ounces of gold from all the ore that was extracted. All of this production would also have its own recovery grade value of $6,951 per a ton of processed rock. In general the North Mill was rather experiencing its own upgrades when the company had increase its productivity. Generally the mill was known for processing a total of 500 tons of ore before being upgraded to process 600 tons of ore on a daily basis. Production from the South Mill was also being increased from 175 tons to 300 tons of ore per a day. Most of this whole entire upgrade was made in order to keep up with the stock piles of ore that was still being waited to be treated at the on-site milling facility. As upgrades were made the company face other problems when its came to installing the right type of machinery for the Crushers, and both milling facilities.
Almost all development during this time period was mainly being aimed towards connecting the North and South Mines from a drift section that was driven on the mines 1,050. As development continued the company would also install a receiving ore pocket that was situated on the mines 1,050 foot level. Much of this had then raised a total of 3,000 tons of ore from the 1,050 foot level to the mines 700 foot level. As production was becoming heavy the company would additionally purchase more locomotives, and heavier railway spurs that we're to be constructed within this section of the mining operation. Development within the mining operation had also included a sump section that was to discharge all the water from the mine. In general this whole project was establish just in case if the mine experience any of its own machinery breakdowns or power failures. Even a medium size water pump was installed to ensure that all of its workers we're in safe hands if any accidents were to happen. More so the company would also in large its stations that were located on the 400, and 1,050 foot levels of the South Mine Project. Soon enough another huge amount of lateral development was created when the company's employees had constructed 5,773 feet of drifting, and 2,825 feet of crosscutting. Generally this whole entire development phase was completed within the whole connection of the North and South Mine locations. Some expansions were also being made towards enlarging the 400 and 1,050 foot levels in order to make easier ore access for the company, and its very own workforce. Nevertheless, the company would also increase its very own ore reserves that now had comprised of 661,651 tons above the 1,050 foot level, and a smaller size of 40,294 tons below the 1,050 foot level.. No other development or production was reported to have commenced by the company during that year of operating the Buffalo Ankerite Gold Mine.
So nevertheless the Hollinger Gold Mines Ltd would soon construct two more levels from this massive expansion. Both of the mine levels were commonly known to be formed on the mines 1,500 foot and 2,500 foot levels. Additionally the Hollinger Gold Mines Ltd became very well known for constructing the mine further as 2,221 feet of drifting, 1,626 feet of crosscutting and 250 feet of raising was performed from all of this production by 1952. All mine development and production was also ceased that same year as the Hollinger Gold Mines Ltd had only extracted 2,236 ounces of gold from about 14,000 tons of milled ore that was produced by the end of 1952. Nevertheless the mine came to its own final closure and didn't see any openings ever since that time period.