By 1914, Cliffton. W. Sherman decided to hire his own brother who became identified as Frank. A. Sherman. Most of this became establish when a new change was made prior to the out break of World War 1. Company officials would have to replace their own products that consisted of Clevises, Bridles, and Stirrups. In general this became replaced by the much needed Marine Forgings, Steel Plating, and processed iron for gun bullets. All of these things we're considered to have been reorganized in order to meet the demands for World War 1 supplies.
Within 1917, the company would also end up purchasing its very own plate mill and forging plant that was about to be used in the making of Shell Forgings. Another transformation was soon accomplished when the company was now known as the Dominion Foundries, and Steel, Limited However company officials had still represented them selves as Dofasco for short terms prior to the company's name change.
When the war had came to a close in 1918, the company was rather developing its massive foundry, which had included 11 open Hearth Furnace with a production rate of 750 tons of iron pellets a day. Much of this would end up expanding the massive plantation as it was now located on 26 acres, and had employed a serious number of employees that totalled a workforce of 2,280 men.
Company officials from the Dominion Foundries, and Steel, Limited. had face their own problems in 1920. Most of this was caused because World War 1 had came to a tragic ending, and had lowered the steel market industry completely. Matters within this industry soon had gotten worse when low tariffs would end up allowing U.S Steel Producers to control a fair share of the Canadian Steel Market. Nevertheless, the Dominion Foundries, and Steel, Limited still became recognized as Canada's only milling operation that was able to produce 6 to 42inchs of universal steel plating.
Milling operations at the new Hamilton Mill we're officials reported to have been completed by the year of 1922. During this time period the Canadian Steel Industry was considered to have put massive down falls towards production for more than a decade. All of this was caused because of taught freight competition within other steel plants that also operated within Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Another massive steel foundry was also reported to have been owned by the historical Steel Company of Canada Limited. Company officials from the Dominion Foundries, and Steel Limited, would soon go under pressure when the Steel Markets had once again increased in price. By 1929, the company was now commencing two shifts within its massive iron foundry as the iron market started to boom heavily in 1926. Much of this became establish because the Iron Steel Market was considered to have been very steady within three years of watching it.
By the following year of 1930, the milling operation was rather expanding in production when Dofasco was now producing 95,000 pounds of casting for a development project in Quebec, Canada. All of this development was considered to have constructed a hydro-electrical plantation, and was known to be Canada's largest producing foundry at the time. Within the great depression era, the steel market was rather going down and up in price. As the massive railway system had started to expand the company was now under tight deadlines in order to get the steel plating it had needed. This type of production had cause some dilemma when it was sometimes order out of no where.
In 1935, the company was now commencing further upgrade towards it massive foundry in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. Most of this had included a newly purchased Cold Reducing Mill that was able to process iron at a size of 20 inches Generally this whole entire purchase would end up making company officials producing the first evel Tin Can Plating in Canada. Much of the Tin Can Plating procedure was commonly known to have stamped Dofascolite in regards to the company's steel by-products. Another change towards the milling foundry was accomplished in 1937, when the company had engineered a Cold Milling Facility with a production rate of 100 tons of processed iron per a day.
Dofasco was rather transforming when World War 2 had escalated and the steel market became extremely high. Much of this change would end up making company officials spent a total of $5.8 million on new engineered facilities. Production from the foundry was reported to have produce three quarters of steel, and Tin Can Plating prior to the out break of World War 2. By 1941, Dofasco had also gotten the contracts to produce armoured plating for the Canadian Military, and was the only company supplying the product.at the time.
Company officials we're rather considered to have been in a steady production prior to the end of World War 2. During 1951, the Dominion Foundries and Steel Limited had soon expanded their operations at the Hamilton Mill Foundry by operating its first ever Blast Furnace. By 1955, the company was soon reported to have been the only company in North America who was in production for Oxygen Steel. This whole entire change was made because the company had found new ways to produce high quality of steel at low operating costs. The company would end up making another purchase in 1954, that included a new Galvanised Sheet division, which was owned by the Lysaght's Canada Limited Within this time period the newly developed 56 inch cold mill was in production, and had its own continues galvanizing line. From 1950 to 1959, the Dominion Foundries and Steel Limited. had spent a total of $120 million on this whole project alone.
Prior to this the company was also engaging in its very own explorations within the year of 1964. Most of this became establish when company officials decided to explore the previous workings of the Sherman Iron Mine Project. Most of theses exploratory procedures had included a series of eight diamond drill holes that totalled 4,312 feet of core sample to be assayed. With indication of high iron reserves the company decided to purchase this claim from the Strathagami Mines Inc. This whole entire claimed area had comprised of 112 claims, and was located within the townships of Strathy, Strathcona, Briggs, and Chamber Townships, within reach of the small settlement town of Temagami, Ontario, Canada.
Another historical change was made in March, of 1955, when the Dominion Foundries, and Steel Limited had incorporated them selves into the Cliffs of Canada Ltd. Much of this became establish when the company was rather getting involved with the production or Pig Iron at the Sherman Iron Mine Project. Before this name change had occurred the company was under a joint venture agreement with the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company who was from Cleveland, Ohio. Company officials from the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company, were mainly in charge of all mining and pelletizing operations. During this time period the company was rather making plans for the future milling facility that was able to handle an annual output of 1,000,000 tons of ore , and the processed material would total 67% of all Iron Pellets. Production from the on-site milling facility was said to commence within 1968, when all preparations to the mill we're officially completed.
Within 1965, the Sherman Iron Mine Project was rather being expanded when the company was now engineering it's very own road and spur line. In addition preparations we're also made in order to make room for the new on-sit milling facility. All of this preparation procedure was being done when the company was rather stripping away the overburden , and had finally set a foundation platform for the on-site mill. Most of this development phase had also been achieved by two contracted companies. These two companies became notice as Carter Construction and Frid Construction, who employed 32 men towards this iron mining operation.
The Sherman Iron Mine Property would also undergo its very own exploration procedures that took place on the surface. All of this exploratory phase had included once diamond drill hole that totalled 104 feet of core sampling. Another series of two diamond drill holes became driven within the hard-rock, and would obtain 810 feet of core samples in 1965. Company officials from the Cliffs of Canada Ltd. had also decided to bring in its very own equipment. Much of this equipment had consisted of three Crawler Tractors, one diesel shovel, and two air-trac drills In general a massive construction phase was also being achieved on the Company's Gate house and Floatation Plant.
By 1966, the spur line was officially completed, and had made it was to the plants in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. This whole entire project was mainly being done in order to provide faster transportation of Iron Pellets to the Company's Mill Foundry. During this year, the company would employee two new contracting firms towards the engineering project of its Concentrator, and Pellet Plant. These two company's became known as the Canadian Bechtel Limited, and the Canadian Allis-Chalmers Limited, who had employed a workforce of 650 men.
Development during this time period was mainly being confined to stripping phase of the North, West, and South Ore-Body's. Once the stripped waste rock had came from these ore-body's, it was than being used for construction purposes of Haulage Roads and Tailing Dams Company officials would also start to expand their explorations when a 600 foot trench that was 12 feet deep became completed A series of four diamond drill holes that totalled 625 feet were also establish to uncover any more potential iron reserves.
Company officials from the Dominion Foundries and Steel Limited had owned 90% of all mineral rights to this iron formation, while Tetapega Mining Company Limited had also owned a 10% share of all the ore production. Most of this whole entire project became controlled by a subsidiary company known as the Cliffs of Canada Limited.
In 1967, the company and its hardworking contractors had eventually finish the first stripping phase of the North, West and South Ore-Body's. Construction within the tailings dam was also known to have also been officially completed within this time period. Another huge project was soon undergoing construction phases when the company had started to dewater Vermillion Lake in order to make more room for the tailings pile. Most of this procedure was also done to prevent contamination from the Tailings entering the waterway. As production was pretty high the company also started on constructing Weirs in order to control the flow of water, in prevention of contamination entering Timagami Lake. Almost all construction phases of the Pellet and Concentrator plant we're official estimated to be in production by February, 1968. All construction was being done by the Canadian Bechtel Limited, who also we're granted a contract for the engineering phase of the company's crushing facility.
Company officials from Cliffs of Canada Limited, would also start to bring in more equipment that consisted of one electrical shovel, and a loader. A series of eight diamond drill holes that totalled 2,523 feet of core sampling were also driven within the surface. No other production or development was reported to have escalated within the year of 1967
Development and Production was rather making this project look like a mining operation at full force in 1968.Most of this was caused when the mine's concentrator and Pellet plans we're officially in operation by March, 1968. Generally this was also known to have been designed by modern day technology that included a single Centralized Control Room for both plants.
Within 1968, Production from the open pit operations was rather expanding this whole entire mining zone when a total of 3,500,000 tons of ore became hoisted annually. All this ore was considered to have been taken from the North, West, and South Workings. Milling within that year had process a total of 3,072,689 tons of ore that came from all three workings. Much of this whole entire milling phase would end up processing a total of 971,096 tons of concentrate. All of this concentrated ore had given the company a net profit of 859,741 tons of iron pellets that were to be shipped from the mine to the foundries in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and Cleveland, Ohio. U.S. During this time period the company would undergo another series of five diamond drill holes, which had ended up totalling 1,623 feet of core sampling.
1969, was rather known as a very productive year within the Sherman Iron Mine Project. Much of this was caused because the company had installed a floatation section within the concentrating facility. Generally this was installed in order to increase the recovery and to lower the Silica Content within the iron ore deposit. As production continued the company also decided to purchase its very own X-ray Spectrometer, which was able to provide the percentage of iron and silica content automatically from the core samples Company officials from the Cliffs of Canada Limited. had also taken extreme measure towards blasting procedures. Most of this became establish when the company decided to develop its very own Blast Control Plan. In nature this whole entire plan was engineered to minimize or eliminate damage to the ore content, and to also reframe from getting complaints filed against them.
Production from the mine workings had soon hoisted another 3,500,000 tons of ore within 1969. Milling within this mining zone was now processing a total of 4,382,072 tons of ore that produce 1,314,367 tons of concentrate. in general this concentrate had given a net profit of 1,183,026 tons of iron pellets that became shipped to the mill foundries. Further so the company also commence a series of five diamond drill holes that would end up totalling 2,952 feet of core sampling.
Some more problems had occurred in 1970, when equipment failure had place a down fall on the Sherman Iron Mine Project. The property during this time period of operating had belong to Cliffs of Canada, who continued mining the iron for pellet production. This iron mining project was rather known to have been worked under a joint venture agreement with Dominion Foundries and Steel, Limited. During this time period it was also reported that the Dominion Foundries and Steel capitalization was increased 25,000,000 common shares with no par value. For the most part it was also stated that Dominion Foundries and Steel, Limited. had owned 90% interest of this operation, and Tetapaga Mining Company had the remaining 10% interest. Further statements reported that the Sherman Iron Property had comprised of 200 claims located in Briggs, and Chambers Township, within the Nipissing District. At the time, the Sherman Mine was rather being further developed when open pit mining, concentrating, and pelletizing was continued. Most of the iron product that was shipped to the Steel Plant in Hamilton would undergo further processing in blast furnaces. Treatment which was undertaken on the iron pellets had amounted to a total production of 1,940,617 tons in 1970.
Some more issues had came upon the company when DEFASCO had experience the most substainial cost increase in the history of this company. Most of this was caused due to the rising coal prices that had increased by 35%, and Scrap metal costs went up to 47%. In addtion to this, it was also reported that tin and electric power had also rose by 10%, while wages and city taxes increased by 7%. For the most part this had resulted in lower contributions of earnings from the Sherman Mine than that of 1969. To top this off, it was also reported that gear failure had cause a reduction output by 15% in 1970. Even more changes were made to pricing when the company had increased its prices for al flat rolled products. Year production requirements at the time were initiated for 2,400,000 tons of pellets. A total of 914,000 tons of this material was reportedly supplied through daily unit car shipments of pelletized ore from the Sherman Mine in Northeastern Ontario.
Further explorations were begun in 1971, when the Dominion Foundries and Steel, Limited had started their own expansion program on the Sherman Mine. No other work was stated to have been completed during the 1971 expansion program of the Sherman Iron Project. Production of iron pellets was rather increased by the Dominion Foundaries and Steel, Limited during 1973. Mine production from the Sherman Mine was rather continued at a rapid scale in shipping iron pellets from their mining project from 1974 to 1980. For the most part it was also stated that production from the Sherman Mine was being achieved 3,300 tons of iron pellets on a daily basis.
The Sherman Mine owned by Defasco in 1979, was rather the only produce of Iron in the region of Temagami, Ontario. Further statements had reported that the Sherman Iron Mine was one of the 5 producing mines in Ontario with the lowest grade iron formation, grading 20.5% recoverable magnetic iron content. and 25% Soluble Iron Content. The life of the mine in 1979, was projected to have a 25 year production life from four open pit operations that surround the old processing plant. Prediction on mining in the north Pit had schedule production till 1989, while stripping at the time was commenced on the North and South Pit. Mining was also being scheduled to commence on the East Pit location at the beginning of 1983. Much of the annual production that came from the Sherman Mine was also commonly known for producing 1 million tons of iron pellets throughout 1979 and 1980.
To be continued