Iron Mountain Claims
According to Legar Mines, Limited, it was stated that Mackenzie, and Mann were the main contractors in building the Canadian National Railways, tested in 1900s. It was at this time when magnetic iron formations became discover on claim no. T.53552, which became known as Iron mountain. Diamond drilling had taken place when two drill holes became driven by Mackenzie, and Mann. Much of the core that came from this drilling was taken out by winter road in early spring. Before this could be assayed it became stated that the sleigh had broken through the ice, and the core samples were never recovered.
1935-1936- Property staked by Taylor
In 1935, and 1936, it was stated that some unreported exploration work had taken place on claim No.s T51862, in Clement Township, and S118303 in Afton Township. This whole entire exploratory work had taken place on the north end of the Leger Mines Property. Explorations within this time period had blasted several pits up to 30 feet into the side of a quartz outcropping at the base of a 60 to 100 foot diabase bluff. Reports on this area could not be uncovered due to the passing of a prospector by the name of Taylor in 1937 or 1938.
1955-1956 - Two claims staked by Noranda Mines, Limited on Iron Mountain. Claims Acquired by Pickel Crow Gold Mines, Limited
Other claims became shortly staked by the historical Noranda Mines, Limited in 1955-56. Explorations at the time were taking place on claims T53551, and T.53552, These claims were additionally located on Iron Mountain, and to the south of this range. It was during this time period when reconnaissance geological mapping was done, and a magnetometer, and electromagnetic survey were accomplished. Diamond drilling consisted of two short holes, one 185 feet, and the other 475 feet were conducted from the northwest, and northeast of Iron Mountain. Results from the electromagnetic survey had uncover conductors that were mapped on top of Iron Mountain.
Pickel Crow Gold Mines, Limited had conducted 13 surface diamond drill holes, totalling 6,197 feet in length. A small amount of Uranium was stated to have a total grade of 0.002 to 0.028%, and 0.05 ounces of gold per a ton. Nothing else had taken place at this time of abandoning explorations on this property.
1959-1960 - Another staking was made by Stan Welsh of Elk Lake, Ontario, Canada
He additionally had started prospecting the claim that once belong to C.Cook with the objective of exploiting the magnetite iron formation. Further examinations indicated that the magnetite was to banded, and contaminated to make development as an iron ore feasible.
Other discoveries were made on June, 1962, when Loyd Legar had discovered an outcrop of white quartz in the southwest corner of claim S118303, in Afton Township. He additionally had no choice but to obtain a quarrying license, and had shipped samples to the cermatic manufacture in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. As he continued to prospect the southeast corner of claim T.51862, of Clement Township, he soon discovered a large outcrop. This whole new discovery zone had resulted in more quarrying ground of the silica material. Further blasting to a depth of three to four feet had soon uncovered considerable disseminated chalcopyrite in quartz, which eliminated its economic scale of silica production.
1962 - Staked by A.S Bayne, and Mr, Legar- Incorporated MACS Syndicate
By this time Mr. Legar had notified Mr. A.S. Bayne, who was a mining engineer of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He additionally had examined this discovery on August, 1962, and grab samples were taken by Bayn from quartz containing gasson, and fresh chalcopyrite. Assays at the time were considered to have range from a trace to 3.90 ounces of gold, and 1.60 ounces of silver per a tonne. It was at this time when Bayne and Legar had decided to enter into a grubstake partnership, which became organized into the MACS Syndicate. This resulted in staking more claims to the area, and had now comprised of 27 claims, which were acquired by Legar Mines, Limited in 1963.
1963 - Claims became acquired by Legar Mines, Limited
A huge amount of explorations were now taking place when extensive rock trenches opened this area up further. Prospecting at the time was being done on the south end of claim T.51862, in Clement Township, during June, July, and August. of 1963. For the most part this was being done to cross-section with the quartz veins, and a geologist by the name of J.M Montgomery of Toronto, was engaged to carry out a systemic survey of the quartz veins, and an examination of the property. He stated that the quartz veins were considered to be very low to be mined at a mineable width. Grab samples also became taken from the mineralized quartz vein, and indicated the following below.
Sample No Gold Silver Copper
12-1 0.07 0.62 3.98%
12-2 0.04 trace 2.21%
12-3 0.03 2.01 8.90%
12-4 0.04 6.25 22.88%
1963 - MACS Syndicate acquired two claims on Iron Mountain.
Explorations by MACS Syndicate had all taken place on claims T.53551 and T.53522 in August, 1963, when they were allowed to lapse by the previous holders. Legar Mines, Limited had still held optioning rights to these claims. It was state by the company that this area had may be an important metal base discovery on the ranks of the iron formation that were partially unexplored.
J.A Mowat had also engaged in the exploration on September, 1963, in order to complete detailed geological mapping, geophysical and geochemical soil sampling. The whole entire exploration phase had indicated the results from previous explorations, and the possible existence of lead, and zine mineralizations in the overburden rock at the top of Iron Mountain. Prospecting by Legars associates had also taken place on the northeast section of the anomaly areas, which comprises of good mineralizations of lead, and zinc in the Timiskaming Quartz, Assaying from this area was reported to have given grades of 3.67% Zinc. A bulk sample across 25 feet of the quartize carries grades of 0.21% lead, and 0.39% Zinc.
1964 - Legar Mines Limited
Diamond drilling consisted of 6 surface holes, totalling 1,650 feet in length by Legar Mines, Limited. No other work had taken place on Iron Mountain at the time. Attempts were considered to have tried mining this area but it was stated that the ore material was below economical value.