All development on the Worthington Mine had started to take place somewhere within the 1880s when several rich copper-Nickel deposits became uncovered. But due to low technology the mine was rather said to have officially closed down on September, 1894. But after being abandoned for a few years the mine was once again being examined by the Mineral Development Company. Before it was reported that the Worthington Mine was said to have been owned by the Dominion Mineral Company.
In 1899 the mine was reported to have been first developed by the Dominion Mineral Company who started developing two mining shafts. The first shaft that was determined as the No. 1 shaft operation was sunk down to 35 feet, while the No. 2 shaft was sunken to a depth of 95 feet. A skip and Man-way was rather believed to be the main method of transporting the miners and the ore from this operation before it closed in 1894. But after several years of being abandoned the mine was now being overlooked by the Mineral Development Company. Almost all this work was being first started in 1907, when the company deepened the No, 1 shaft to about 200 feet. As construction on the shaft was taking place the company also added to newly designed ore producing levels. Each of these small scaled level developments during this time period became establish on the 100 and 200 foot sections A small drifting phase than had connected these levels with the No. 2 Worthington Mine Shaft. Company officials had also opened up the first level with stoping methods that were 80 feet in length and 75 feet in height. The Mineral development Company then had start further developing the second level by adding 35 feet of drifting, and also started cutting out a cut that measured 25 feet by 25 feet. Most of the onsite equipment is rather old but restored to working order and is said to have consisted of a straight-line Air Compressor , 2 boilers, and its hoisting system. Production during this time period had also removed three cart loads of ore that was now being shipped to the Victoria Mines Smelting Complex. By 1909, the Worthington Mine was believed to have some work fully completed on it but the company it self had once again brought this mine to its second closure.
During 1913, the mine became purchased by the impressive Mond Nickel Company, and would immediately go into production. In addition the company started developing a newly designed three compartment shaft that was sunken to a depth of 200 feet. A new level was also started on this section and the Mond Nickel Company had now started dewatering the old shaft operations once again.to connect this level with the No. 1, and 2 shafts. Company officials from the Mond Nickel Company would also commence further expansions on the newly developed No. 3 shaft. Another level was then being engineered and opened up on the mines 80 foot section that consisted of small development phases. As the year was slowly coming to an end the company also erected its very own head-frame and rock house that was situated next to the No. 2 shaft operation. A Power House also became apart of this major development and would included the following components: 1,800 foot compressor, 2 double-drum hoists, and transformers also became installed. This company had even provided accommodation for their own skillful hard works by adding several cottage like homes. A team of 110 men also became employed during this time period of getting this production on the go.
Almost all the ore that was extracted from the mine in 1917, had totalled 172,000 tons of Nickel ore which would only ship 77,800 tons of ore to the Coniston Smelter. Almost all the ore that was hoisted from the mine became hand picked and commercially sold to the Canadian Pacific Railway for track ballasts. Stopeing on the mine was being establish on the first and second levels which would lead to the development of the third mine stopeing section. A considerable amount of drilling and blasting soon had taken place to further open up the third level. As the shaft went under another expansion the company would end up deepening it to 700 feet within the same year, and also developed a opened up the third level at 280 feet. Another level that was determined as the No. 4 station became establish on the mines 650 foot section with massive drifts being place to open this level up.
A huge amount of construction was about to begin in 1918, when the Mond Nickel Company started on further deepening the No. 3 shaft to about 750. Company officials of the Mond Nickel Company would also engineer two more levels during this development that became situated on the mines 600 and 750 foot sections. It also became evident that these levels started to become constructed by stopeing methods. Almost all ore that became shipped that years had totalled 69,793 tons towards the company's revenue. It was also reported that the Mond Nickel Company had its own workforce of 220 men during this year alone. Even the main vein zone was fully estimated to have so far followed on for a distance of 700 feet and had its own thickness between 20 to 60 feet. Much of the vein that was discovered is also reported to increase at depth and follows down for about 1,000 feet. Company officials from the Mond Nickel Company also designed this mine by the method of shrinkage stopeing, and dividing this ore body by a pillar which travels east and west.
By 1919, the Mond Nickel Company would end up shipping another huge amount of that totalled 33,299 tons of rock that became extracted from the Worthington Mine. In general most of this ore had came from shrinkage stopes on the mines third, four, and fifth levels that became extracted, and shipped to the Coniston Smelter. A new exploratory phase was also underway when the company started conducting a large scale diamond drilling program. Even the shaft was further being developed as it was now achieving over 1,000 feet of depth. The Mond Nickel Company even decided to move a 1,750 foot Rand Air Compressor from the Frood Extension Mine to its Worthington Mine Power House.
All extractions during 1919, had estimated that the mine had hoisted approximately 10,000 tons of ore from the Worthington Mine alone. In addition it was reported to have been extracted from the back of a stope section that traveled along the third and fourth level of this mine. Company officials soon came across another problem when the removal of this ore had cause cracks to form in a pillar which was located on the 340 foot section of this mining operation. In order to fix this issue the company would have to place timbers along the west and south side of the shaft to secure this problem. Nevertheless it did seem to have help in securing the pillars that were cracked from underground production. All mining was shortly stop and almost all the workers were to evacuate the mining operate as a violent ending took place. At around 6 am on Oct 4, 1927, the mine would experience a horrifying disaster when an underground collapse occurred and caused the surface subside. The Worthington Mine of the Mond Nickel Company caved in to the fifth level, a depth of 750 feet, at 6 o’clock Tuesday morning, taking with it 500 feet of the CPR tracks and the right-of-way on the Sault- Sudbury branch, an equal length of the station road paralleling the railway, the mine powerhouse and a workman’s home. There was no loss of life, 46 underground workers having been ordered to the surface at 11 o’clock.. Superintendent Mumford heard the grinding roar of the caving levels, then saw the powerhouse lurch and topple into a gaping void. The earth was rentasunder. At the south end of the mine a two story frame house occupied by Frank Stos, his two boys, and by Mr and Mrs Pisoskowski, dropped 30 feet before it finally came to rest upright. The home of Albert Dockerell, mine machinist, was left standing high on the extreme verge of a clay cliff...Two pigs which were in a pen in the backyard were precipitated into the pit but were later rescued amid great squealing." Almost 70 years later in 1995, freelance journalist Mick Lowe, in a column for Northern Life, interviewed Florence Henry, then 91 and the last living witness of the mine disaster. Henry (then Mrs Farenzena) recalled that miner Dave Ballantyne and mine superintendent Bill Mumford were credited with preventing the deaths of any of the miners. On day shift, they noticed the rock moving around the shaft pillar, ordered the 45 workers out of the mine and cancelled the night shift. Growling and booms emanated from the mine all night. The mine collapsed the next morning and the nearby creek quickly submerged the mine forever. For weeks after, Worthington became a Mecca for sightseers. A later report by the Bureau of Mines estimated the final dimensions of the cave-in as 300 feet in diameter and 45 feet in depth with 216,000 cu. ft. of rock and seven million cu. ft. of clay and sand displaced. At the time, Henry says Worthington’s population was around 800, had two general stores, post office, several boarding houses, a school, CPR station, and numerous tar paper shacks. The area was not attractive having been laid bare for logging and firewood. A part of the Worthington Mine was later renamed the Totten Mine by the great International Nickel Company who claimed this area in 1966. Inco soon became that main corporation to take this mine to the next step by calling it the Totten Mine. Now a days the Totten mine is rather known to be back in operation as its owned and operated by Vale who took over Inco.