1883 - Discovered by A.P Salter
The Creighton Mine was first discover in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada by a famous provincial land surveyor known as A.P Salter in 1856. The first discovery on this mining claim was known to be iron. But further into prospecting of this land, there was soon to be more discoveries of Nickel - Copper Ore, same as the Frood Stobie Mine. It wasn’t till 1883 when a railway was installed in the area where the mine was located by the Canadian Pacific Railway
1899 - Canadian Copper Company
The Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine was additionally also known as the Stobie Falls Mine, which is situated on Lot 10 of concession 6, in Creighton Township, within the Algoma District of Ontario, Canada. Another section known as the Stobie Falls Mine was also on the opposite side of the Creighton Mine, and was owned by Robert. G Leckie, and R.M Thompson. Much of the outcrop of the vein was also situated along the waters edge of the Vermilion River, and had dipped away from this waterway. Shaft sinking was rather continuing when it was sunken further from the 40 foot level to a depth of 115 feet, with a cross section of 6 by 8 feet. The mine shaft at this time was rather considered to have been a single compartment with a man-way, and was cribbed down to 30 feet in solid rock. At the bottom of this shaft the company had extended a crosscut in order to open the first level for a distance of 20 feet S.S.W, but had not intersect with the ore-body. All hoisting was rather considered to have been establish by a kibble with a 3/4 inch cable attach to it. Much of the shaft house at the time was constructed to be 18 by 36 feet, and was also adjacent to a boiler room. Hoisting with the Kibble was mainly considered to have also been done by a duplex derrick hoisting engine, which was also engineered with 5 1/2 inch by 8 inch cylinders. There was also a 3 drill Ingersoll Rand air compressor which was situated in the same room as the hoisting engine. Additionally. the boiler room was known to contain two 50 H.P boilers that were the locomotive type,which also became engineered by Waterous Engine Works of Branford. All pumping from the mining operation was mainly being done by a 12 in by 8 inch by 4 inch Northey Duplex Pump. For the most part dynamite was also reported to have been stored at a distance of 40 feet from the shaft house, which regulations had stated a distance of 600 feet at this time period. At about three eights of a mile there was a prospect tunnel, which was in copper ore for a distance of 35 feet. Generally, this location was also associated with copper pyrites, which occurred in a calcite gangue, and had quite a variance with its usual association in the region. Much of this prospect area was strongly stated to have been own by Frederick Hamilton, and other interests from Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.
1901 - Canadian Copper Company
The property which was owned by the Canadian Copper Company was known to be situated on the boundary lines in Snider, and Creighton Townships. This whole entire property was additionally situated on the fourth concession, and was reached by a 12 mile branch line of the Manitoulin and North Shore Railway from Sudbury. All work which required the usual procedures of stripping was also commenced in July, 1900, and the first ore became shipped in July, 1901. Construction of the much needed surfaces plants had also dramatically increased production to 500 to 600 tons of ore on a daily basis, which was shipped to the Copper Cliff roast yards. Explorations on the property that included surface trenching, test pits, and other surface explorations had indicated an area that was 1,100 feet long by 400 feet wide. Much of this sulphide zone was also associated with the occasional traversing dikes of trap. Mining operations within the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine were strongly reported to have been done in an opencast, which was 135 feet long to the east, and 40 feet wide to the west, and 60 feet in depth. For the most part it was stated that this section had vertical sides, and nothing was seen besides the clean ore of pyrrhotite with chalcopyrite. Assays at the time were reported to have been 2% less in copper, and at least 7% in Nickel Content. There is also reports of granite contact which lies within 30 feet of the open-pit, in which is a contact formation with the ore-body. Other statement had stated that the contact in the north side had displace the mineralization zone beyond several ranges of hills. Additionally, there was also a shaft which was sunken on 60 feet south of the wall that is known to descend through the granite contact, which dips 80 degrees north towards the Open Pit floor. It also appears again in the rear of 30 foot adit chamber in which tramcar loads were transported to the skip from this section.
Other development within 1901, had also constructed a double skip road, which had rise to the top of the rock house, which is 30 feet away from the shaft. From here the ore is commonly stated to have been dumped over grizzlys, that past through crushers, trommels, and sorting tables, which makes its way to the ore-bins below. Each of the bins at this time period were rather known to have a capacity of 1,000 tons of ore that came from this mine after going through the usual procedures. Much of this whole entire structure was also reported to have been designed with iron angle bracing, and measures 42 by 45 feet in plan, and 60 feet in height. Additionally, there was also three railroad tracks in which were considered to have passed beneath the building. Its main engineering at the time was known to have consisted of two black crusher of about 600 tons with a combined capacity on a daily basis. A smaller one which once used for the grizzlys, is consider to fine the usual sizing, and picking machines, with the engine located in the basement in which the steam to supply power is taken from the adjacent power house.
The power plant that was also constructed was stated to have included three 100 H.P return tabular boilers, and a double 6 foot drum duplex cylinder hoist engine winding one inch steel cables. This mainly considered to have also been done by the usage of two independent skips, two air compressor, a compound 5 drill, and a straight line 3 drill. Other buildings which became constructed during this time period were also known to included dry rooms, offices, warehouses, and a blacksmith shop. There was also once a village of private dwellings, and boarding houses for the 134 employees, and their families. Additionally, the company had also constructed a new dynamite magazine in which was at a distance of 600 feet from the workings, and 100 feet from the railway line.
1902 - Canadian Copper Company
Production within this time period was quite active except for two month, in which 550 tons of ore was produce on a daily basis. Employment within the mine had also totalled 140 miners/drillers, which were under the direction of Mine Captain F. Rodda. Ore production within 1902, was mainly being raised from the open-pit at a depth of 62 feet, and had increase in measurement, which was now 150 by 260 feet. For the most part the walls within the open pit were reported to have been steep, but kept in good and safe conditions. Ore extraction within this time period was mainly being done by six six-drill gangs, and are considered to be perched at different points, that break down the ore in huge masses. Other development within this time period was aimed at sinking a vertical internal winze shaft that became sunken to a depth of 80 feet, and was 6 by 8 feet in size. Much of the development from the bottom of the crosscut was also being upraised in order to not interfere with ore production above. Company officials from the Canadian Copper Company had also deployed two diamond drills, which were active in prospecting this deposit in June, 1901, and continued till December, 1902. This resulted in a number of holes which became driven within the ground, which became establish to the north, west, and east sides. Diamond drilling within these section was mainly done because the dip was slightly to the north, and the strike was known to run east and west. Drilling within these sections of the Creighton Mine had indicated a continuous ore body at depth, and along the strikes of the sulphides, which were occasionally contained intrusions of rock being chiefly separated as barren bands. Assaying from this area revealed that the copper-nickel content was stated to have average between 6.5 and 7%, in which a portion of copper to nickel had average 1 to 2.5%.
Additions were also made to the power house, when the three boilers became fitted with mechanical underfeed strokers. Other statements from the company had stated that the two original air-compressors became replace by another straight line Ingersoll Rand Compressor of double the capacity of 6 drills. More changes also occurred on the hoist engine, which became returned for reconstruction, and temporarily replace by the No. 3 Mine Hoist, in which had a similar size, and make.
1903 - Canadian Copper Company
Mining operations at the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine were rather considered to have been continuous, but not all the time was the ore reported to have been raised. For the most part stoping procedures within the open pit also became suspended prior to the company sinking the main No. 1 shaft to a depth of 140 feet from the 80 foot level. A uniform incline was reported to have also been maintained by 57 degrees from the top, and bottom of this shaft operation. Development which continued on the No. 1 shaft had opened up a chamber station, while completing the double skip road, and ladder way. Additional plans were also aimed at running a drift under the center part of the open pit operation. As this development continues the drift will than be upraised to the pit floor. Most of this was being done so that the ore could be milled down, and hoisted from either the first or second levels at 80, and 140 feet. With development escalating, the company was mainly aimed at processing the ore that came from the open pit operation from the north-east, and west sides. This would also increase the length of the opening by a length of 110 feet to the east and west, and the width by 60 feet to the north and south. Much of the internal winze shaft, which was sunken on the pit floor would also be expanded from the first level to the second mining level, in order to provide better ventilation to the workings below.
More upgrades would continue to take place in the rock house, when one of the two former 9 by 15 inch jaw crushers became replace by 15 by 24 inch Jaw Crusher. Even the grizzlys became altered in order to separate the small and large sizes of ore that came from this project. Other upgrades also continued to be made when the bump sorting tables became replace by traveling belts, which will do the sorting in the near future. There was also a machine shop which was adjoining the rock house, that had also became developed, and contained lathe, drills, and different accessories. Some more major changes also became made when the trestle rail way was now in operation, and carried the ore to the M. N. S sidings, which than transported them up to, and above the boiler room doors. The main purpose for installing these railway tracks was so that the cars can carry the coal, where it can be dump directly. A few more dwellings also became build which slowly started increasing the small village town of Creighton Mines
In efforts to determine the extent of the ore-body, the company also conducted 5,000 feet of diamond drilling on the ore-body. Additionally, this had all comprised of 3,500,000 tons of ore that became outlined in which was stated by the superintendent. Outlining of the ore-body resulted in the formation of lenticular chimney, with its width or strike running at about east, and west with its dip north of 50 degrees. This whole entire strike length was reported to have been within the contact of the foot-wall, which was all in granite. For the most part the greater width of this deposit, along with the assay were known to average at about 5.5% and was maintained with small amount of variations to the bottom of the holes at about 300 feet vertically. Some more statements stated that explorations also continued outside of the mine area which resulted in similar ore reserves at depth. Employment at the Creighton Nickel-Copper Mine was being done by a workforce of 35 miners, but would be increased in order to meet the maximum output of 600 tonnes daily.
1904 - Canadian Copper Company
A geologist by the name of A . Sprecher became in charge of mining operations with a workforce of 177 miners in June, and 100 in October, 1904. This resulted in mining the ore from the open pit which had now measured 250 by 300 feet in plans, and had maintained a depth of 60 feet. Development of the No. 1 shaft operation had officially reach a depth of 140 feet below the surface, in which a level was started, with a double skip road, and ladder-way in place. Drifting at the bottom of this shaft were considered to have opened up the workings by 70 feet to the south, and a raise was driven from the 140 foot level to the pit floor. This resulted in stoping a large amount of ore, and the latter working area was stated to have a diameter of 50 feet, and forms a pocket in which a large amounts of ore were ready to be hoisted. Ore extractions from the open pit to the second level were now reported to have average about 500 tons of ore with a maximum of 1,000 tons a day. Surface stripping also occurred to the S and S.E of the open pit in which preparations were being made as an extension to it. All mining operations were considered to have been the same prior to the new installation of double drum five ton hoist. More construction also occurred within the village, as a managers dwelling was made in addition to several other dwellings. The only mine in which belong to the company had produce the only nickel ore, as all the remaining working ones became closed in the summer, and allowed to fill with water. Most of this was caused because the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine had an immense ore reserve of high-grade, cheaply mined ore. Additionally, company statements had stated that none of the other mining operations may not be opened for many years to come due to this high-grade tonnage.
1905 - Canadian Copper Company
All mining operations within the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine were under the direction of Captain Thomas Travers, who was a superintendent of the mine with a workforce of 135 miners. Production within this time period was also being achieved at 800 tons on a daily basis. Ore extractions within the Creighton Mine was mainly being taken from the open pit operation, with the surface of the open pit now measuring 500 by 300 feet in plan, and had reach a depth of 141 feet. A huge amount of expanding would also take place when the No. 2 shaft was sunk within the granite formation at about 500 feet east of the present shaft operation. Diamond drilling within the open pit had indicated that the ore-body continues westward from the present pit. For the most part, the ore on the second level has been broken through which also had gave a stope section of 141 feet in height from the first to the second level. It was during this time period when the company had used an electrical search light in providing the required illumination for the pit at night.
1906- Canadian Copper Company
Further explorations had continued to take place within the open pit operation that was aimed at finding continuations of the ore-body. The open pit operation at this time was also developed to a depth of 140 feet below surface. Reports from the superintendents of the Canadian Copper Company had stated that the west, and northwesterly face was all in a continuous ore-body. Mining operations within the open-pit were mainly being conducted by the large overhand stope methods. All the ore which came from the open-pit was bring handled in order to maintain it prior to blasting, shoveling it into ore cars, and tramming it to the shaft. Ore extractions from the open pit operation had been hoisted on a daily average of 1,200 to 1,500 tons on a 24 hour basis.
Other development which became establish in 1905, was aimed at sinking the No. 2 shaft to a depth of 180 feet below the surface. The No. 2 shaft was rather situated 330 feet west of the No. 1 shaft operation of the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine. Development planning of the No. 2 shaft had made it into a three compartment hoisting shaft in which was concreted to a depth of 40 feet. An opening was also made on the 160 foot level when a crosscut was driven in order to connect with the ore-body. A raise was also put through to the surface prior to developing the 160 foot level of the Creighton No. 2 shaft operation. With the crosscut completed, the company's worker had than open up the underground workings by a drift that was put through to the open cut.
Underground water management was being handled by the use of a 100 gallon pump geared to a 15 H.P, 500 volt motor, in which had operated at 720 resolutions per a minute. Other major development was being aimed at erecting another rock house near the No. 2 shaft operation. Much of the ore that came from this hoisting shaft was place directly into grizzlys, than gone through a crushing procedure which was conducted by two 18 by 30 inch Blake Crushers. Once the material becomes crushed, it was then pass through revolving screens to rubber belts 3 feet wide, and 50 feet long. From here the rock becomes picked out from the ore, and after thrown into a rock pocket, while the ore-bearing material passes over the belts, and into ore-bins. After the ore becomes place into ore bins, it then became moved by a train to the roast yard at Copper Cliff in which two railway spurs were constructed beneath the rock crusher. The crusher along with the two belts had also been considered to have been operated by a 50 H.P, 3 phase, 550 volt induction motor each.
Even more changes occurred when all the steam powered machinery became replaced by electrically driven ones. There was also a substation developed within the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine In which had also contained three transformers of 275 kw. capacity each. All of the development was mainly being aimed in order to bring down the voltage from 35,000 to only 550 volts. This also resulted in the placing of three hoisting engines that had carried three drums, which became arrange so that any two can be run in counterbalance, or had also made all three of them operate independently. Additionally, the hoisting engines were rather being operated by 150 H.P, 3 phase variable speed induction motors. Even the rope speed for the hoisting engines was known to have a rope speed of 500 feet per a minute, and a capacity of 3 tons for each skips. Two of these hoisting engines became reported to have been set at right angles to each other, and the new shaft was operated by a hoist that is parallel to the new rock house. The old rock house along with the shaft that was situated 500 feet to the east, became operated by a second hoisting engine.
All the drills within the Creighton Copper-Nickel became powered by the supply of air from a compound, which was directly driven by a compressor, running at 120 revolutions per a minute, and gave a speed of1,635 cubic feet of free air per a minute. It was stated to have also been operated by a constant speed 550-volt induction motor of 300 H.P, and the air regulation is provided by a automatic Corliss step valve. Other improvements were being made when fire protection equipment had consisted of a 1,000 gallon 6 inch 4 stage pump, directly connected to a 150 H.P, 3 phase 550 volt induction motor. A steel tank which had held 60,000 gallons was also installed in order to act as a supply.
1907 - Canadian Copper Company
Far more expanding had occurred when the No. 1 shaft was now reaching a depth of 250 feet on an incline of 57 degrees. Levels within this shaft operation were stated to have been opened up on the mines 75, 150, and 210 foot levels. The main floor of the open pit was also deepened to the 150 foot level of the shaft operation. It was during this time period when the No. 1 shaft became re-timbered, and a new level was establish at 210 feet. Development on the No. 1 shaft had still continued to take place when sinking was continued below the third mining level.
The No. 2 shaft which was situated 330 feet west of the No. 1 shaft was also sunken further as it was now reaching a depth of 340 feet. Levels during development of this shaft were opened up on the mines 190, and 275 foot sections. Development was mainly taking place at about 190 feet on the second level, when a crosscut became driven north for a distance of 90 feet. It was at this point when a drift became construct and traveled 110 feet to the north, and 175 feet to the east. This also resulted in developing a raise in which was put through to the surface. Some other stope sections also became construct on the drift section, and was at a distance of 50 feet from the crosscut. Stoping procedures on this level had resulted in stoped out area which measured 75 feet in length, and 60 feet in width. Much of this level was also considered to be under the open pit workings which became connected by crosscuts from the No. 1 and No. 2 shafts, in which became stoped out by overhand methods. The stoped out section had been extracted from an area that was 175 in width, and 275 feet in length.
A crosscut was also driven north for a distance of 164 feet within the third level of the No. 2 shaft which was at a depth of 275 feet. At about 95 feet from the shaft, it was rather stated that drifts were driven 111 feet to the east, and 94 feet to the west. Sinking of the No. 2 shaft was also reported to have continued in order to establish the third level underground workings. There was also no ore which became hoisted from the No. 1 shaft as it was being re-timbered within this time period of operating. Production from the No. 2 shaft was very well exceeding a production rate of 500 tons of ore on a daily basis. All superintending was mainly being done by Mr. William Hambly, who employed 150 miners to the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine.
1908 - Canadian Copper Company
Development and mining operations were rather being confined to the No. 1 and 2 shaft operations, and all the ore which became extracted was being raised from the open-cut. All the work within the open-pit was shortly after reported to have discontinued in the winther following major work being done on the third and fourth levels of the No. 2 shaft operation. Even more expanding continued when the No.1 shaft was now reaching a depth of 320 feet below the surface. This resulted in the development, and opening of the third and fourth levels at depths of 210, and 300 feet. Some more expanding within 1908, had continued to expand the No. 2 shaft which was driven on a lower angle, and had its own depth of 390 feet. Two more opening were also made on the third and fourth levels which became situated on the 265, and 370 foot levels. An open cut was also widen, and lengthen on the second level that measured 420 feet long on the level, and 520 feet on the surface. Its average width was 160 feet on the level, and 300 feet on the surface.
The third level of the No. 1 shaft was also opened up by a drift which was in line with the shaft and had became driven for a distance of 170 to the north. Additionally, this drift is strongly considered to also be connected with the crosscut from the No. 2 shaft operation by a drift 320 feet in length. At about 70 feet from the shaft on this drift, a section also became cut out on the ore-body which measured 260 and 75 feet. There was also a station that was cut out on the fourth level of the No. 1 shaft with no drifting being done yet. The third level of the No. 2 shaft was also opened up by a crosscut which was driven for a distance of 80 feet to the ore-body. As this development continued to take place a section was also cut out that measured 140 feet by 60 feet. Mining methods on the third and fourth levels were rather reported to have used the dry wall filling system, and the wall within this section were entirely in ore. Preparations were being made in order to recover the ore from these walls by the caving of the floor below. Within this system the company reported that all the miners were away from a short distance of the roof of the stope, and the muckers were also protected in the tramways.
1909 - Canadian Copper Company
Open pit mining operations at the Creighton Nickel-Copper Mine became resumed in the summer of 1909. Almost all raising procedures were reported to have been carried on from the second, fourth, fifth, and sixth levels. Even more expanding had occurred when the work on the second and third level was being done from the Open Pit operation. Other plans were aimed at carrying down the open pit to the size of the second level.
Development in the No. 1 shaft was mainly confined to the fourth level, when a drift was now expanded for a distance of 150 feet to cut the ore-body. This was also done in efforts of making a connection with the No. 1 and 2 shaft operations of the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine Project. Much of the ore from the third level of the No. 1 shaft was stated to have been drawn off from the open pit operation. The east end of the stope section within the No. 2 shaft was also being developed in order to be apart of this open pit operation. For the most part the shaft sections were also being filled, while ore extractions were being broken down by overhand stoping, with the stopes filled from the surplus ore drawn off the chutes. It was also reported that the same method of procedures had occurred within the fourth level of the No. 2 shaft operation.
1910 - Canadian Copper Company
Much of the east end of the ore-body was reported to have been open-cut down to the third level during this time period of operating. It was rather stated that the deposit had dipped to the north in which a considerable amount of ore was left within the third level hanging wall. The reason for this to have happen was because the wall became rather hard for scaling operations to commence on this section. With this taking place the company had decided to take down much of the overhanging rock on the hanging wall. In order for the company to handle this waste rock it was stated that cable was stretch across the open-pit. From here the waste rock would be taken out by the means of buckets which were operated by the cableway. Almost all the west side of the ore-body was also stated to have been not removed, and a stope was also reported to have been all in ore.
Other major development had also taken place when the fourth level of the No. 1 and 2 shafts became connect with each other. Ore from this section of the mine was reported to have been mine by overhand methods and no filling had occurred on this level. The whole entire mining operation within 1910 were mainly being confined to the easterly portion of the underground workings. It also became report that large pillars became left within this section at different intervals Much of the westerly part of the stope section on the fourth level also being done by the filling system which was first adapted to the Crean Hill Mine. Drifts within the fourth level were also driven through the ore-body, while widening to the walls where pillars became necessary. Mining within this section was mainly aimed at taking slices from the roof in order to make a height to develop the dry walls. Each of these walls at the time became build by masons and became covered with heavy lagging in order to maintain the tramway lines. This development and expanding procedures resulted in the development of ore chutes, and man-ways along different intervals of the walls. Ore from this section was mainly taken down by back stoping methods, and the surplus drawn off the main chutes became needed. All the filling which was used on these sections was mainly all in ore, which also has the advantage of maintaining a large broken ore reserve in the mine. All the flow of the ore that came from the chutes was maintained by an air operated gate, which became designed by Capt Lawson.
There was also more installations added to the second level of No. 2 shaft, when a new electrically driven compressor was added. For the most part this newly installed electrically driven air compressor was a new departure in Ontario at the time. An intake pipe was also stated to have been carried down the ladderway of the No. 2 shaft operation.
1911 - Canadian Copper Company
The Creighton Copper Nickel Mine was rather being worked by two incline shaft which were at a distance of 325 feet from each other. Much of the No. 1 shaft operation was reported to have a dip of 59 degrees, and was sunken to a depth of 300 feet in 1911. For the most part the ore within this shaft operation was mainly stated to have been worked by an open-cut. In addition to this, the Open Cut along the surface was also stated to have been 650 feet, with a maximum width of 400 feet. Additionally, this open cut was also narrowed down to the third level of the No. 1 shaft operation within the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine Site. As the open cut became developed down to the third level it had a different measurement, which was 300 feet in length by 125 feet in width. It became rather stated that all mining operations, and production was mainly being taking by cutting down the floor of the third level. From here the ore-body within the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine was stated to have dipped to the north, which resulted in the removal of a large tonnage of rock from the hanging wall.
The No. 2 shaft was rather reported to have a dip of 46 degrees, and was 500 feet in depth, or a vertical depth of 350 feet to the fifth level. At the time it was rather stated to have been the deepest level within the Creighton Copper-Nickel Property at the time. For the most part, mining operations within each level of the No. 2 shaft were mainly being done by the filling system. It was also stated that the No. 2 shaft had served for hoisting a considerable amount of tonnage from the open-cut. For the most part the main mine workings of this shaft were stated to have been confined to the third, fourth, and fifth levels of the this Copper-Nickel Project. Development of the third level workings was stated to have been developed in 2 separate stope sections, one being 225 feet long, and the other being 150 feet long. Each of these stope sections became reported to have been 75 feet apart from each other, and along the strike of the ore-body. Much of the longer part of the stope section is also considered to be apart of the ore-body which became worked on by open cutting. Similar size stopes also became developed on the fourth level but were larger in size from the ones on the third level of the No. 2 shaft. Each of these stope sections were considered to be developed by the back stoping and filling system. A station on the fifth level was also considered to have been cut which resulted in blocking out the ore-body on this level. Other major development would also take place on this level when an ore-pocket became constructed. There was also an accidental explosion that took place, and had destroy the thawing house. After this had occurred the company eventually developed a new thawing house to replace the old ones. Most of this accidental explosion was reported to have been caused from heating pipes, which were used for the cold northern Ontario winter seasons. It was rather stated that this was probably the source of danger but it was also hard to avoid during the winter seasons at the time. The mine was being operated under the direction R.M McAuley, who employed a workforce of 300 men. Mining was rather stated to have been a bad curse to employ woman underground at the time. .
Soon prospectors had made their own way around the mining area to stake out many different mining claim. That same year there was also a village name after the mine that was known as The Village of Creighton Mine. The village was design and developed by the Canadian Copper Company known as Vale today. The Creighton mine was a lot different from any other mining towns in the northern parts of Ontario, Canada. The mine is still known to be kept alive today as it supports the memory of all the miners that had once live there. The first residence of the mine were the employees that became hired by the Canadian Copper Company to work on the mining project. The history of Creighton Mine is consider to be so unique as if it wasn’t for this primary mining industry to exist, there would be no village that occupied tons of employees or even the creation of Sudbury. In 1901 the mine had soon developed an open pit after 13 years since the company had bought the former mine off of A.P Salter. It was said that the living conditions in this village were very challenging and difficult to compete with.
By the end of the following year the Creighton mine had soon finish the developments of its log cabins that would house families and employees. After three years when the village was developed, classes had started to take progress in this small mining village, that were considered to be held in a 2 room log cabin that was built in 1903. The one room was use as a class while the other was use as a play area for the children. A few years later this cabin became the home of Joseph Nicholas, that had also serve as a church for the protestants and roman catholic religious categories that had live in the village.
The School was considered very important for the miners to have in the village, as it had educated their children. It was also reported that the children would learn how to read and write in English which most of the miner did not know the language properly as they had came from many different countries around the world. The school had also been a major importance to the company as the transportation to other schools had become very difficult, especially in the winter seasons. The company had even hired their own train workers to teach English to the immigrants that work at the mining site who did't how to speak the language. It was very important that the company had offer the support of schooling as it was needed for many immigrants that came to Canada, and especially their children.
The first principle to be employed at the school was Miss. Lewis. As her own school wasn’t just use as a school area as it had also hosted by two categories of religious background churches, the Roman Catholic Church that would provide its services till 1908 and The Fraternity Methodist Church that had also provide service till 1915.
The health care Building was also an important history of the mine for many years. The development of this building by the Canadian Copper Company which would later be known as The international nickel company, had huge responsibilities to ensure that their own employees had gotten everything they needed to support them. As mining back then and today was known as a dangerous hazardous primary industry. Eventually The community of the Sudbury region had started to support Creighton Mine in providing a fully licensed health care center to the village, which had also employed well trained doctors and nurses.
This type of service was not always found in the northern communities. In the early century’s there was known to be a high infant morality rate, which needed a health care center to treat this problem. It was also reported in 1936 that a third of Ontario’s population was known to have live in areas where medical centers were established. Creighton Mine was considered to be one of these place that had supply the service of medical care.
No one really knows when The Canadian Copper Company had first been involve with the establishment of a medical services for their employees to this day. The only way they could tell this is by a piece of evidence that they had found in 1890, that was the employment of a doctor by the name of Robert .H Arthur who was also the doctor for the Canadian Pacific Railway service.
It was in 1892 when the general manager of the Canadian Copper company, John .D Evans had attended a meeting with the Sudbury Hospital Committee, which later that year had resolve in building a new hospital located on Elm Street.
Then a few years later another change would be made to the medical facility as a doctor by the name of Theobald Coleman had made the arrival to Copper Cliff and would obtain the position as the company’s physician. It was in 1903 when the new medical center was build and would have started to serve the Copper Cliff town Employees and families. They also made an agreement to support any employees who had work or lived in the Township of Creighton Mines.
The hospital was considered to only serve its own employees as it was known to be privately owned by the Canadian Copper Company. The hospital could only accommodate up to 26 people that were mostly miner that we're injured in the mine while working. But by 1913 the hospital would be demolished as a huge fire had broken out and burnt it down to the ground. While a new hospital was being built the company had made a temporary medical center that was located in the company’s Ontario Club, untill 1914 when a new one was finally made, and would start to put a service charge of $1.00 per month to cover the medical expenses as they had known to be a huge amount of money at this time.
Some other business in the village that I did not included:
A boarding house that was located on, 48 George street, ( it was burnt down in 1975)
Mr. Furlongs Lively stable that was located on, 1 Victor Street
Kelly’s store located, 1 Marry Street (1908 - 1962)
Belle and Nelle’s general store (1913 - 1916)
Gimpoli’s Butcher Shop located, 36 George Street
Sedlock Tailor Shop (1926 - 1972)
Stephanie’s hair dressing
George Dunsmore’s restaurant
Movie theatres (1915 - 1928)
Laundry Facility Located at, 6 Copper Cliff Rd (1916 - 1946)
In the 1901 there was letter written by a guy name H.P McIntosh from Cleveland Ohio to The Canadian Copper Company. In the letter it had said the following:
We write to ask you about your ideas of the name for the Creighton Mine. We have so far been calling it Creighton on our books, and now that construction is about to begun, we wish to know whether we shall call it a number, which in the regular order it should be called 7 or do you think it preferably should still be called Creighton.
Yours Truly A.P. Turner
At this time the Canadian Copper Company had brought in 6 other mining production to life, and were very anxious to built a 7th production towards their Primary industry. This new mining zone was soon considered to be the greatest production yet for the company. Do you think that the mine would be called number 7? Or by the name of the township it settle in where the riches lands were known to be laid here. The final decision for the name of the mine would be made at the head office of The Canadian Copper Company in Cleveland, Ohio, where soon the mine would be Called Creighton Mine.
In 1909 the travel to Creighton Mine was very difficult, usually only accessed by either foot or horse wagons compare to today technology as its only located a few km from copper cliff by car. Even in those day the mine heavily depended on additional work just to create it. As vegetation became one of the problem that many workers had to face due to a massive bug population in the area. A.P. Turner had noted that it was extremely hard to work in the Creighton mine area due to these bugs.
About the 1900 the Manitoulin and North Shore Railroads, which is now known as Algoma Eastern had set a railway link from the Creighton Mine and the roasting smelting complex at Copper Cliff. The link would soon be consider to allow stripping of the surface overburden. A.P. Salter had more things in mind then the mining area. In the summer of 1856 when the Provincial Government of Canada had strict rules regarding land surveying in Canada. Before A.P. Salter could continue any work on the mine he was instructed to do a complete land survey of the whole area of the surrounding mine claim. But this was going to be an easy task for Salter as he was known as an excellent surveyor, and would first start his first survey at the mouth of the Sturgeon River where it enters Lake Nippising, and follow the base line westward. After Salter had follow the base line for 65 straight kilometres, he had finally reach the town of Whitefish where his surveying would continue 8 km northward, eventually coming to an end after a strange mystery occurred.
After completing the whole entire survey, this was known to be the part where all the fun had taken place for the former Surveyor and miner. It was said that mother nature was screwing with his compass as he noted in his own personal journal: Between the fifth and eighth mile on this line… considerable local attractions, the needle varying from four degrees to fourteen degrees westerly.
After his weirdest experience yet he had directed a former provincial Geologist by the name of Alexander Murray to the spot where he had experienced this weird mischief. Alexander Murray would soon settle out where this weird mischief outcrop had happen to the former surveyor. He had eventually found the spot where Salter had experience it, and came up on a discovery of Metallic and Non metallic minerals that where known as 2-3% of Copper, and 1% nickel.
This deposit was never fully understood till a decade later, as a result of a hold due to pressing matter that was commonly located south of the border, due to the conflict of the civil war as many Canadians watched.
On January 24 1887 the Creighton Mine would soon go under a new ownership as it was turn over to the Canadian copper Company (CCC). But the Canadian Copper company would not do any more explorations on the Creighton Mine until the 1900s. But the shipment of ore wasn’t reported to happen till a year later, when the first ore deposit was taken by train.
By 1902 the Canadian Copper Company was ready to employ its first 94 employees, and set out special accommodations for them in in small tents, and log cabins that they had built. During this time there was a lot of discrimination between the company as it only was considered to employ married man. The reason for this was that these individuals were a lot more reliable for work and show no loss of productive working time
Right when the mine had started up, the employees would stand in a line in front of the paymasters office, where then they would sign the payroll book and receive their monthly earning in cash. The main reason for this kind of situation to happen is because there was't any banks operating in the mining village at the time. The chart below gives out the miners average monthly salary that they would earn:
It was finally in 1903 when the first mine shaft was sunk, which would eventually would lead to another sinking phase of the Creighton Mine # 2 shaft. In 1905 this shaft operations had went to the depth of 350 feet. Mine shaft #2 was also located 350 feet from the first mine shaft that was sunk by this company
In 1905 The Canadian Copper Company would soon give away their claim to The International Nickel Company, but was known to have still retain its name till 1919, when Captain Hembley had made his way to the mine site as one of their employees. He also had live in the Village of Creighton, in the log cabins that were located by the main head frames, which was also known as a township at this time.
In 1906 the mine would see new technology to its site as hydro electrical power was added to the village. The way that this electrical power was made came from a 25 line cycle that went 29 km from High Falls to Copper Cliff.
The development to enlarge the Open Pit would start to take place in 1913, when the pit was known to be 650 feet long, to 400 feet wide, and would be known to go down to 350 feet. Once the First World War had hit there was a huge demand for Nickel, which had eventually led to the sinking of a 3rd shaft. The good part of developing the 3rd shaft was that company officials would soon need to increase its workforce. In 1915 the company had started to hire more employees to work in the mine. At this time the company was known to have 550 employees, that would rise to 1300. Their was one disadvantage to hiring that many employees, the village could not accommodate all the employees, which led to the construction of 55 new homes in the Village of Creighton Mine. After the First World War had hit, there was a great depression towards the stock markets that went town by a few cents in the nickel industry. Due to this problem the company had to close down its other mines, where Creighton Mine was the only known mine to have been in operation in the Sudbury District at the time. This major type of event would lead to many lay offs from the mine. Some of the men we're still kept working in the mines, but these workers were considered to have many skills.
In 1917, the production of create mine was rather exploding when the Canadian Copper Company had shipped 1,003,816 tons of ore to be processed. Almost all extractions on the mine had started from the second level and carried onto the fourteenth level. But it was reported that Creighton was well in production on its tenth and twelfth mining levels at the time. A newly engineered level that became determined as the fourtheen level was rather opened up by the development of cross-cuts and stoping had also been started. Company officials had also fully completed the engineering construction project of the No. 3 shaft operation that was no being put into production. The Canadian Copper Company had also used the No. 2 shaft to transport the miners and the ore by installing two cages. But most of the ore was reported to have been hauled from the No. 3 shaft operation. In addition the Creighton Mine was rather exploding when the company had hired 1,200 employees to work this.
It was in 1924 when the number 3 mine shaft went to a depth of 1,900 feet. It was also reported in the following year that the company was about to sink another shaft known as the No.4 shaft. In general this magnitude shaft operation that would be constructed to the depth of 1,240 feet, where eventually the shaft had end up going to the depth of 2,600 feet. By 1936, the company was now on their way towards developing another mine shaft to the mine. This shaft was Called Shaft number 5, that had went do to the depth of 4,075 feet, and was strongly considered to be the largest shaft to be reported at the time. By 1940, another development stage on shaft No. 6 would be reported to have been sunk from 3,800 feet to 5,400 feet.
Soon, in 1942 - 43, there we're more homes added to the village that were strictly meant for the supervisory family of the mines. This had also included names towards these homes like McNaughton, Wavell, and Church Hill.
In the early 1950s the company had finally finish building it 's 7th shaft operation that would go to a scorching depth of 1,900 feet. Right after its completion the shaft would soon go into production where 14,000 tons of ore was produce there daily. A couple of years later, the internal number 8 mine shaft was deepened from 4,800 to 6,600 feet. The deepest mine shaft to have ever been reported at the Creighton min was known as the number 9 shaft that went down to 7,600 feet, which would also be the worlds biggest mine at depth at the time.
In the 1960s the Village of Creighton would soon start to decline in its population. It was by 1964 that the population was now at 2000 residents that were living in the village. Soon the former company Inco would not want to spend any more money on upgrades to the village, which would eventually lead the residence of Creighton mine to vacant there lots by 1986, as the company was going to tare down the Village. Inco had soon started to demolish the village as the upgrades to the water systems were very high in cost at this time. This had original mark the end of Creighton as its own small town settlement. But in our own eye we all know that this town has been long forgotten but only history can continues its life. Today the mine its self has come to a complete stall as stobie still continues to rise in 2013. This mine was known to be formed into two mine names known as the Creighton-Stobie Mine. With almost a 130 year record ,this long lasting mine continues to expand as its ore bodies are newly discovered