Gold prospecting prior to the discovery of the Vermilion Mine was rather being explored in the area of the Vermilion River waterway. Additionally, many places report that gold was only found at the Vermilion Mine, but it was also discovered in other areas. In fact two other historical mines came into operation prior to the development, and production that was taking place at the Vermilion Mine Site. These two gold mine which became discovered were known as the Creighton and Gordon Lake Gold Projects. The Creighton Gold Project was far more different from what was about to be developed into the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine.
The Creighton Gold Project was rather reported to have first been discovered on Lot 11, within the fifth, and fourth concession of Creighton Township of Algoma East district at the time. The Creighton Gold Mine Prospect at the time was rather only reached by a colonization road. Other plans were being aimed at expanding the Canadian Pacific Railway in order to make a connection with Larchwood. This was rather located on the main line of the Canadian Pacific Railway at Whitefish Station on Sault Ste, Marie Branch. Additionally, the whole entire railway line was mainly being aimed at expanding through the townships of Balfour, Creighton, Dention, and made its way to the bridge on the Vermilion River on Lot 12, concession 5 of Creighton Township, Upper Canada. A road which was made in Balfour is also considered to run through a very good land portion within the valley of the Vermilion River that flows to the right..
Much of the formation of Whitson Creek is considered to be within a Huronian schist which is known to come into view, and extends easterly and southerly for many miles on the sixth concession of Creighton Township. From the creek to the road-bridge, that crosses the Vermilion River, is commonly considered to skirt the foot of the range of hills that cut across lot 10 in the sixth concession, and Lot 11, within the fifth concession of Creighton Township.
The first gold mine to have been discovered was additionally located at a point not to far from the bridge that crosses the Vermilion River. It was during this time period when the Creighton Mining Company had opened up their own access into this claim by expanding a road southeastward. The company's main attention was aimed a building a roadway in order to get around the rocky hills to the line between the fourth and fifth concession, and along that line to the mining operation, which was two thirds of the way across lot 11. Generally, the hills are commonly known to have also form a circle towards the north, which encloses a beaver meadow, and sweeps around eastward, through lot 10, and south towards the Lake Emma, and Levy River. During this course its rather considered to also throw out low spurs on the southern portion of Lot 11, in concession 4 of Creighton Township. Much of the quartz which are associated with the spurs are also noted to be grey with splashes of quartz. Further examining of this area by the company had revealed that the quartz vein is in line with the north, and south veins. It was during this time period when the company shaft was also put down with no connections made with the two vein geological systems. The west of the portion of this area is also known to be occupied by two quartz outcroppings that have northeast-southwest course through low ranges of schist. Some opening were also made on these outcroppings but no distinct veins were noted to have been discovered. Generally, the land formation in this area is considered to be occupied by a hornblende schist which is closely mixed with the quartz. Other statements has stated that these hornblende-quartz mixtures were believe to have been partial fusion, which presents a molted appearance with white as the prevailing color.
Prospecting on the location was additionally commenced 1889, by J.R Gordon, who carried out explorations on the property. All of this exploratory work was mainly being done for a syndicate base out of Ottawa at the time. With impressing results from gold concentrations, the Syndicate had formed what would be come the Creighton Mining Company with a capitalization of $1,000,000. Shaft sinking programs by this newly formed company were being aimed at sinking it on the North-South Vein Zones, which were discovered where the fifth, and fourth concession had cross. The country rock which is within this area is known to be mainly a black hornblende slate in which has a north, and south course, and dip. Its rather reported to have been much broken at the surface, but also showed widths of well defined walls. Development of the shaft was now reaching its own depth of 160 feet, that had been kept close to the foot-wall without changing in dip. Much of the fool-wall within the underground workings, are mainly considered to be slate varying from 6 inches to 2 feet in width. Examinations of the hanging walls were not able to be explored as they weren't reached but indicated a width of 17 feet by boring. Openings at this time were made on the 80 foot level by a drift that expanded for a distance 12 feet. Another level was also developed on the mines 135 foot level in which was opened up by 25 feet of drifting. Additionally, the last 30 feet of shaft was stated to have been used as a sump in order to hold water. A large flow was also stated to have occurred within the first level of the shaft in which needed working water pumps.
Ore stockpiling also had occurred at this time when 200 tons was already hoisted, and exceptions were aimed at running this operation at 25 tons per a day. All the vein matter which came from this operation was stated to have been a bluish in color quartz, which had also markings of flesh colored feldspar, and was banded in parts with the hornblende schist. Observations and examinations on this quartz had revealed they had not contained any free gold but assayed $4 to $20 per a ton. The gold which was discovered was stated to have also been very minute particles, which called for extreme care in order to treat it. It was in 1892, when the company had officially erected a mill which was once located not to far from the shaft operation. Its measurement at the time was stated to have been 25 feet square, and 54 feet for the plates, and was three stories high. An addition was also made in order to hold the hoisting engine, and machinery to treat the ore that came from the mine. Much of the second floor was known to be used for the automatic feeder, and the third floor was made for the Doge Crusher, which was manufactured by Fraser, and Chalmers of Chicago, and had its own capacity of 40 tons of ore which would produce the ore into a size of nut coal on daily basis. All the ore which comes from the shaft was also directly hoisted to the third floor by a friction drum made by Baldwin Iron Works of Ottawa. Water at the time was also stated to have been raised from a tank in the third story by a pulsometer pump. There was also an engine house which became attached to the milling facility, which consisted of a 100 H.P Boiler in order to work the engine capacity, along with drill, and machinery for crushing, and milling of the ore.
The mill which was approved for this site was commonly known as a Crawford Improved Gold Extractor It was highly invented in Colorado, which was classified in saving a high percentage of the gold within the ore. But one part of the Creighton Mine Mill was reported to have not realized expectations. Difficulty was met during the trial test of the mill which was believed to have been caused by faultiness in construction. It was rather stated that a small quantity of ore was finely milled, but the stoppage was caused due to hot journals, which were to frequent for economic work. After a few more trials the mill was officially closed down as improvements weren't being made, and the company was waiting on the arrival of the inventor, Mr Middleton Crawford. All the work, which became completed during this time period was all considered to have been done by a superintendent known as Mr. Gordon. Development of the property had also build a boarding house in order to occupy the miners, and workers at this gold project.
1894 - Creighton Gold Mining Company
The Creighton Gold Mine project was operated for a short time period in 1894, which resulted in the suspension of work. For the most part this became caused in order to test the borings which gave favorable results Mr. J.R Gordon who was the mine manager at the time had stated that mining would continue at a later date. Once the mine had came to a closure, there was an expert mining engineer who became hired by the company who advise them the explore some 400 yards from the shaft by diamond drilling. This diamond drilling program had shortly indicated another quartz vein structure that was at a depth of 200 feet below the surface. It was rather reported that this vein had its own width of 20 feet, and showed high amounts of free gold that became discovered. Action at the time was also taking place when a meeting was held by the directors of the Creighton Gold Mining Company in Ottawa, which was aimed at improving the extent of this ore-body. Other indications state that its predicted that the same vein which is within the Creighton Gold Mine is known to travel the whole Vermilion River Valley.
1895 - Creighton Gold Mining Company
For the most part the Creighton Gold Project was rather known to have been idle within 1895. Reports from J.R Gordon who was in charge of this mining operation had stated that drilling continued to the distance of 1,500 feet. This resulted in boring six to seven holes carrying depths of 300 and 400 feet below the surface, which uncovered an auriferous quartz vein in every hole. So in terms why this mine was called the Creighton Gold Mine is because it had help a large gold deposit which was found within the workings, and far beyond it, which proved to be satisfactory. Other areas state that the mine was examined in 1928-1931, but that was on different properties known as the Vermilion Lake, and Errington Mines sites. The MDI Report for that area is in the wrong section which indicates the grades for the Errington, and Vermilion Lake Mines, This mine was rather establish as gold deposits which was caused by formation of the Sudbury crater, and its meteorite impact that possibly decomposed higher gold values away from Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. The Vermilion Gold-Copper-Nickel Mine also has large tonnage of undeveloped ore as it was being worked on by the Canadian Copper Company, before it was shut down due to low labor within other mines. Information on this mine can be found under the Vermilion Lake Gold Mine Section. Theirs also another high-grade gold deposit that's found 3km underground in apart of the Vermillion River, and Wanapitei Lake systems, and stretches across towards Temagami, Ontario, Canada in an oval shape. This is the system I'm trying to determine right now as a possible extension to the Sudbury Basin ore-bodies that may have displace the gold away from the sulphides deposits. When you look at assaying of the gold content within the Sulphides, its considered to be really low in grade in several mine sites within Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. Other statements say that the Crater was discovered in 2010, but in reality its already been discovered from the start of mining operations. Only the news about the crater had developed prior to mining companies already knowing there was a crater that existed, which named the Creighton Copper-Nickel Mine, and the Creighton Gold Mine. Creighton, and Crater, the words describe what the Sudbury Basin really met back in the olden days of mining. There are several other gold mines along the Vermilion River Valley in which some people have never heard of. A lot of these mines also had expense issues when it came to their development, and for this company it was rather the mill that became a failure, and to expensive to repair it, which resulted in its closure.