Another historical discovery was once again came upon by a prospector who was rather exploring the area of Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. He soon came up his own mineralization of Copper-and Nickel Ore that was rather being found all over the Sudbury Basin within the year of 1918. A small amount of diamond drilling would eventually uncover the Falconbridge Nickel Mine. During this time period the prospector was rather looking for some investors to get the new mining project started. Most of this became accomplish when the prospector had obtained $3,776,922 that was taken from 5,000,000 shares.
Within 1928, the prospector was once again on a move to uncover the rich material that was outlined from the diamond drilling results. In general he immediately commence his very own diamond drilling program to get more results on the reserves below ground levels. He immediately had notice a fair amount of copper-nickel ore that was found along the upper horizon. A small test hole was soon further drilled that determined the ore as a continues body that travelled for a distance of 7,000 feet. Most of the whole entire discovery zone was reported to have contained 43% Nickel.
As development started to escalate, company officials would under go their very own shaft sinking phase. Much of this procedure was done when the mine owner designed a three compartment shaft by September 17,1928. Within the same year the company had additionally sunken the shaft to about 350 feet. They also commence construction phases on the mines first level that became stationed at 225 feet. A crosscut was soon driven within this level that had obtained 73 feet of ore from the mine. Sinking procedures were strongly considered to have been establish by a portable gasoline compressor, and a 6 by 8 inch jencks hoist. Once the shaft had deepened the company would then move onto the installation of its very own head-frame. Much of this upgrade would also replace the old hoisting system by installing a 4 foot Ingersoll Rand Double Hoist with a General Motor, that had its own capacity of 100 H.P. Another 900 cubic foot compressor would end up taking over the old compressor when it was connected by a 150 H.P General Motor.
Company officials from the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited had also place construction phases on the much need structures. These things included cookeries, bunkhouses, Offices, a power magazine, and a thawing house. No other development or production was reported to have taken place during this time period of constructing the newly developed Falconbridge Nickel Mine.
In 1929, company officials would end up making a whole bunch of changes that took place within the underground levels and on the surface. Most of this was achieved when a drift was driven to the east and the west of the crosscut section on the 225 foot level. Two other levels became engineered when company officials would develop the 350 foot level and the 1,000 foot level. Shaft sinking phase also had commence when the shaft was reaching 1,040 feet below the surface. Both of the newly designed levels had intersected a profitable amount of ore by opening this section up by a whack of drifting procedures. These two levels also became constructed by a crosscut phase that encountered 16 to 20 feet of ore reserves.
Construction of the on-site rock was also commenced and had been nearly completed by the end of 1929. Further development within the mine site had included three newly developed bunkhouses, a dry house, a machine shop, and its very own warehouse facility. More changes soon had place this mine into production when the compressor had been increased by a new 1,900 cubic foot Bellis Se Morcom Compressor. Even smelting procedures soon had escalated but were rather slow as shipping could not be done due to the construction of a newly developed spur line. However, most of this development was reported to have actually commence by the end of the year, and the smelter had its own capacity of 350 tons of ore per a day.
Development on the 225 foot level was reported to have opened up this section of the mining operation by opening up the ore-body for a distance of 680 feet. A huge amount of ore was also taken from this location that had totalled 3,767 tons per a foot of development. Further assaying within this level alone had average 2.97% Nickel, and 1.02% Copper. Most of this soon had estimated that the level alone had contained 400,000 tons of ore that was to be mined. No other production or development was reported to have been achieved by the company.
Development on the mines 325 foot level was mainly aimed at expanding the main crosscut towards the ore body. This whole entire procedure soon encountered massive 5 foot sulphides, with another additional 15 feet of Dissemined Sulphides that had promising high-grade ore body's along the Northerly Contact zone. Company officials from the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited had rather found the calculation of the reserves within the 325 and 1,000 foot levels very hard to determine. Much of this was caused because these areas were not quite developed at the time. However, the company did guess that the 325 foot level and the 1,000 foot level had a total of 661,000 tons. In addition this whole entire mining operation it self would end up containing 1,367,000 tons of ore, at a grade of 2.97% Nickel, and 0.97% copper.
Development within 1929, was rather being confined towards the on-site plant, and the much needed structures that were needed. Much of this was however focused on developing the plant in order to keep the revenue flowing of scheduled production time. A huge massive accommodation complex was also engineered and became credited for housing 225 men who work within the mining operation. Some more structures included a cookery, a machine shop, its very own hall, and a school for the kids at the time of its development.
All smelting procedures within the Falconbridge Nickel Mine became establish 2,000 feet away from the mine, and on the North-East shoreline of Boucher Lake. Most of this engineering phase was accomplished by a guy who was known as J. R Gill. Production from the smelter will be able to process a total of 250 tons of ore per a day, but had a double capacity rate of 500 tons with a few additional adjustments. During 1929, most of the required structures, and external buildings were considered to be completed but the smelter was yet to be put into operation for the first time. Even most of the heavy pieces of machinery had been installed prior to the mine getting its own electrical power. Electrical power is strongly considered to be secured by the Wahnapitae Power Company's No. 3 Plant that transmits the power for a distance of 6 miles before it gets to the property. A huge amount of machinery was soon being transported by rail to the Garson Mine Site as the Railway Spur Line was not quite built yet. However things would end up changing as the Canadian National Railway Spur Line was officially completed.
In addition the company had constructed a series of 25 cottages in order to accommodate the permanent residence that work at the mine. As development started to rather transform the small scale Company Town, it was soon reported that schools and medical facilities were also being built.
Production in 1930 was mainly being confined to the three producing levels that were rather extracting a large quantity of ore. As development continued that year, the mine was experiencing another huge amount of drifting that totalled 3,918 feet was driven to the east and west of all three levels. Another expansion was made when the company decided to establish a huge amount of crosscutting that ended up totalling 2,200 feet. Much of the raising within 1930, had included a total of 306 feet, while slashing the ore had comprised of 190 feet. All underground development was mainly said to have been constructed in hopes of improving the reserve estimation. Smelting procedures within 1930, became shut down as the main shaft was experiencing its very own expansion. Company officials and its engineering team would decided to cut two more stations that became constructed on the mines 500, and 740 foot sections. Even explorations within the Falconbridge Nickel Mine were becoming extremely heavy as the company had obtained 8,889 feet of core sampling from a massive diamond drilling program. Hoisting from the mine was mainly being accomplished by the means of a skip that was known for hauling a total of 83,931 tons of ore to the on-site rock crusher. More than 14,000 tons of ore was then place into the waste dumps as the bad ore was sorted from the rock crusher. In addition this would leave the company with 72,027 tons of ore that had consisted of 2,147% Nickel content, and 1.07% copper. Ore that came from the crushing facility was than place into railway cars and shipped to the bins at the Falconbridge Smelter. Smelting within in that year had processed a total of 71,626 tons of ore that produce 2,630 tons of Matte. Once the ore became smelted it was than shipped to the refinery in Norway for the last processing phase. Much of this included the Matter, Nickel, and other metals that became extracted from this rich deposit zone.
By the following year in 1931, company officials had other problems to face when they additionally needed more buildings to house all of their workers. Construction within that year was now being confined to adding three more cottages in order to accommodate these hardworking men. They even had started hiring Married man as the company it self wanted to make more progress towards production. More so the company also decided to construct a five foot extension to the Blast furnace in order to increase production by 40%.
Development within 1931, was rather expanding the whole entire mining operation when 2,696 feet of drifting, 237 feet of crosscutting, and 190 feet of raising was done. During this time period the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Ltd was rather expanding its accommodation area when ten standard 5 bedroom cottages became constructed. In addition the company would also add three small cottages later on within the year of operating the Falconbridge Nickel Mine. As production became steady it was soon realized that the company would also install a second converter, and its very own pan conveyor that was used to handle the slag from smelting procedures.
Diamond drilling within 1931, was soon escalated from the surface, and its underground workings that estimated this mine to contain a reserve of 2,279,453 tons of ore. Much of this whole estimation was said to have taken from above the 100 foot level that encountered more profitable mining zones. Almost all the reserve estimations below the 100 foot section became establish by the use of diamond drilling. Some of these diamond drilling phase would also uncover new production ground for the company and its employees. Not to mention this would also expand the production life for the mine as it was in a steady production at the time. Within this time period the company was rather expanding its mining operations when another huge amount of ore was hoisted and hauled to the crushing plant. In general this whole entire hoisting procedure would end up hoisting 83,931 tons of ore from the Falconbridge Nickel Mine. All smelting procedures within that same year would end up processing 71,626 tons of ore that produce 2,630 tons of nickel matte. Generally the company it self was rather considered to have shipped this processed matte to Norway for further treatment. More so this whole entire shipment had contained 1,514.75 short tons of Nickel, and 655.97 tons of copper resources.
By 1935, the whole entire Falconbridge Nickel Mine was rather transforming when the company, and its miners had commence more lateral development. Much of this expansion was considered to have taken place within the No. 5 shaft operation. As development continued the company's hardworking miners had establish 1,813 feet of raising, and 5,708 feet of drifting, and crosscutting. Most of this construction phase was mainly being driven within the 500 and 1,200 foot levels. All of this section of the mining operation had now started to experience its own expansions when a drift was driven 986 feet within the ore-body. Development within this section was rather reported to have been started on the mines 500 foot level, as it expanded this drift for a distance of 1,600 feet within the solid hard-rock. Company officials from the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Ltd would also commence production and development on the mines 1,200 foot section. Further development was soon added when company officials commence more drifting methods. Drifting within 1935 was said to have additionally expanded this mining operation by adding two more sections of drifting on the 1,200 foot level. The first drift to be driven was said to have been engineered to 153 feet, and continued east, while another drift extension was expanded 807 feet to the west of the ore-body.
The No. 5 shaft operation at the time was now being depended as it was reaching a scorching depth of 1,400 feet. Much of this shaft development would establish many stations that became situated on the mines 200, 325, 1,200, and the 1,400 foot station level. As this continued to take place the company was now adding loading pockets that became constructed on the mines 1,350 foot section. Soon enough the company face another issue when it now had to create a sump station in order to pump all the water from the workings.
More so the company would also decided to abandoned the shrinkage stope methods as the stopes became converted to the cut, and fill method of mining. Generally this whole entire process was considered to be aimed at backfilling the stope as they started to become exhausted. Stoping within the Falconbridge Nickel Mine was rather a continuous battle as they we're always extracting the ore from these locations. Even ore passes became completed when the company had well constructed them from the 350 to the 700 foot level. As ore became extract from the mine it soon had hoisted a total of 337,537 tons to the surface. Most of this ore was later transported to the on-site rock-house that had further crushed this material before sending it to the milling facility. Before the ore was transported to the milling facility the company would additionally have to sort a total of 35,206 tons of waste rock. More changes became added when the company decided to construct a whole new Head-frame, hoisting and compressor equipment, a new change room, its very own office, an accommodation area for its staff, a combined drill steel, and repair shop, and central heating plant. Further into development the company also had the Hydro Electric Power Commission install a sub-station that would produce 24,000 volts of power throughout the whole mine site.
Another huge expansion was rather taking place in 1941, when the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited had decided to connect the No. 1 and No. 5 shaft operations. Most of this development would end up totalling 8,000 feet of lateral development from this massive expansion phase. Company officials from the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Ltd. would additionally connect the two shafts by a drift section that connected the 1,400 foot level with the No. 5 shaft. Another connection was made when the company decided to also connect the 1,925 foot level with the No. 5 shaft. In general this whole entire connection had contributed 1,406 feet of drifting, and 593 feet of crosscutting. A huge amount of raising that totalled 5,171 feet was also performed when this expansion was being made. During this time period the company's hardworking miners had further expanded the 350 foot level when a drift section was drilled and blasted to about 589 feet. Much of this expanding was aimed at further recovering more reserves within the Falconbridge Nickel Mining Operation. In addition this whole entire construction phase soon had encountered more high-grade ore reserves to be mined from this location. All of this expanding was done because the company wanted to explore the 350 foot level as it had little production. More so the company's hardworking crew was rather also exploring the 1,750 foot level, when a whack of drifting that totalled more than 3,000 feet of lateral development was completed between the No. 1 and 5 shaft operations. Generally this allowed more workings to be opened up when the stoping procedures had once again extracting the rich nickel-copper ore. During this time the company would also commence shaft sinking phase on the No. 5 shaft when it was reaching a depth of 2,275 feet. This would additionally add a new pump sub-station that was installed on the mines 2,275 foot section. Further so it was mainly added because the mine was rather flooding the main mine workings at the time.
To Be Continued