The Wallbridge Hematite Mine was first discovery by a group of prospectors known as Messrs. Coe, Mitchell, and Company in 1879. It was at this time when interest was gained between the three and the Bethlehem Iron Company, of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States, had purchase this mine project. Exporting of the ore was also being done by Messrs. Coe, Mitchell, and Company, in which a total of 15,000 tons was taken from a pit at a daily capacity of 150 tons per day. Within 1880, the Bethlehem Iron Company was mainly interested in getting a portion of their supplies from of ore from the Madoc District, in Lower Canada. Upon examinations it was revealed that hematite of high-quality was noted from sampling that was done by the company. Further examinations were shortly after taking place which had indicated that this hematite ore was very well adapted for manufacturing of steel. A fairly large opening was made on this property that measured 200 feet from the east to west, and 80 feet from north to south. The property was rather first owned by Mr. D. L. Cumming, who was the original owner of the land, and had sent a sample lot of eight tons from Lot. 12, within the 5th concession of Madoc County, Hastings, to Three Rivers to be smelted.
Production by the Bethlehem Iron Company in 1881, resulted in blasting out 1000 tons of ore that was awaiting shipment. Much of the ore was also considered to have been a steel grey color, which had weathered to a dark brick red, enclosing cavities filled with black, glistening crystals of specular iron. Employment within the mine was also known to have consisted of 25 men who were employed within the Wallbridge Hematite Mine workings. Development was also progressed when a shaft was started and had reached a total depth of 40 feet below the surface. Iron ore which was produce from the Madoc District had proven to be high in quality, and the Bethlehem Iron Company and the South Bethlehem iron Company had purchase other properties. These newly purchase properties were known to have included other producing iron mines such as the Dufferin and Nelson Iron Mines. A total of nearly $58,000 was additionally paid for the Wallbridge Hematite Mine, and $20,000 for the lease of the other mines. Hematite was rather extracted from a large portion of Dolomite, in which had no defined walls to it.
In 1882, the Bethlehem Iron Company was still progressing with its iron mining operation known as the Wallbridge Iron Mine Property. Shaft sinking at this time had also progress as it was now down to 80 feet below the surface and had continued to produce excellent conditions for ore bearing material. Mining machinery was also added to this operation as hoisting was done with elevated pockets, for securing the ore and dumping it into railway cars. A spur line was shortly after completed which had play an important roll in connecting the mine project with the Central Ontario Railway Line. Production that was taken from this mine had ended up producing a total of 30,000 tonnes of ore. Some of the best ore came from this mine as it was approved to have been at regular standard grade than any ore producing mine on the continent.
Ore which was taken from the Wallbridge Mine was considered to have been fine granular hematite ore that was steel grey in color on fresh fractures, After extracting nearly 30,000 tons of ore, it was proven that the iron hematite became depleted in resources, and the mine was left to become abandoned by 1884. Production from the whole entire project had amounted to nearly 50,000 tonnes of hematite ore that was shipped by Coe, Michell, and Co for the Bethlehem Iron Company. Many different iron works had bought this iron ore for the processing into making manufactured steel.
In 1884, Mr. Coe had re-started mining operations on his own, which he deemed favorable, and a few thousand pounds were produce from this before the mine was once again deemed as exhausted. Mr. Coe at this time was entitle to a lease of nearly 15 years, in which net royalties amounted to 0.15 cents per a ton of ore produce. Hematite ore was rather considered to have lied along the surface that didn't need a shaft in the first place, and had been easy broken up for handling.
Within 1900, it was reported that the Wallbridge Hematite Mine would come back into operation as promising results were obtained from explorations. Mining operations for time being were carried out for 4 months, which had yield from 15 to 20 tons of ore per day. An old shaft which had become extended to nearly 115 feet was temporarily filled with debris, but plans were made towards cleaning it out as mining proceeded. The depth from the edge of a pit to the working place is 60 feet, and the sidewall of the pit was apparently insecure, and instructions were left to set a row of stalls, and leg them closely in order to protect the miners below. Hoisting was mainly completed by using a Derrick, and dynamite was kept in a small building on the edge of the pit, which had broken regulations in accordance with the mining act.
General Information on the mine
Ownership: Private Property Status
Mine or Prospect Status: Abandoned Mine Site
Type of workings: Underground and Surface workings
Township Location: Madoc Township
Closest City or Town: Madoc,
Province and Country Ontario, Canada
District location: Hasting County
Province: South Eastern
Subprovince: Hasting County Basin
Belt: Igneous, Mafic,
Tectonic Assemblage: Central Metasedimentary Belt
Formation type: Mafic Intrusive,
Chemical Compositions: Dolomite, Hematite
Production: 55,000 tons of ore
Common names: Coe-Michell, Wallbridge
Lot, Concession, Lot 12, Concession 5, Madoc Township
Deposit Status: Past Producing Mine with depleted ore reserves
Primary Commodities: (Iron - Hematite)
Secondary Commodities: Hematite, pyrite, specularite, Dolomite
Geological Events: Potential Zone of Meteorite Impacts
Start Date: 1880
Close Date: 1885
Re-Open Date: 1900