Historical Ore Reserves indicated at 39,405 tonnes grading 3.97% Cu
The Cheney Copper Mine was rather known to have connections with the major Gould Copper Mine Discovery. It all had started when a series of trenches had uncovered a rich copper ore discovery zone that became known as the Cheney Copper Mine. In 1916, the mine became under option to a prospector from Timmins and was leased by the Cheney Copper Mines Ltd. Further test pitting had soon revealed the actual vein of the Cheney Copper Mine that was said to have been quite impressive. The prospecting officials had then decided to start commencing further development by sinking an incline shaft to 70 feet along the vein zone. Many people had also reported that the shaft was about 80 feet high and timbered before it collapsed in 2000. A level was also being establish at the mines 50 foot section and was opened up with a few feet of drifting during the time period. Almost all production during that year had extracted 7 carloads of ore which produce 33,468 pounds of copper and had its own value of $8,564 towards the company's revenue. No further production or development was done by this company prior to shipping its first ore to the mill.
Another company known as Sudbury Basin Mines Ltd had developed this mine further in 1928,when the shaft was one again being sunken to 150 feet below the ground. Soon enough the company had commence further development on a newly developed level that was station on the 150 foot section of this mining operation. It was first opened up by a massive drift that was said to have went to a distance of 1625 feet, and also had 870 feet of crosscutting. The Sudbury Basin Mines Limited had also started on a whole new drilling stage that intersected the main vein zone for a distance of 2450 feet below the ground. A huge amount of copper was reported to have been discovered at the 180, 360, and 390 feet below the surface. In nature the mine it self was said to hold a massive copper deposit which was estimated at 39,405 tons of copper matte. Sudbury Basin Mine, Limited was carrying out an extensive development operation during the summer of 1928, with about 70 men employed for prospecting, underground development, wood cutting, surveying, and diamond drilling. Diamond Drilling was additionally done in order to test the vein along a line of holes that were done along strike. At this time the main prospecting shaft was down to 150-feet below the surface, and had about 450 feet of drifting and 140 feet of crosscutting that was done on the 150-foot level.
By 1955, the mine was once again under new ownership as the Pioneer Consultants had obtain full assets of the property by optioning it from the Sudbury Basin Mines Ltd. Most of the results had soon intersected three drill holes that estimated 2% copper over 8 to 11 feet. Another diamond drill hole had intersected 8.45% copper over 1 foot of core sample that was taken by the company. No other explorations became achieved by the company as it wasn't considered to be worth mining for. The mine became rehabilitated shortly after closing down and more then 3,500 tons of copper was said to have been sent to the Copper Concentrator's Milling facility.
In 1960, the Cheney Copper Mine was now being examined by the Rothsay Mines Ltd, who had conducted their own testing. This whole entire exploration procedure was done by a method called magnetic and electromagnetic surveying. However nothing encouraging came from this so the mine was left abandoned once again.
The Cheney Copper Prospect Location is rather situated on 6, 7, and 8, within Concession V, that's about 25 miles by road from Thessalon. The property was first owned and operated by the Cheney Copper Mines, Limited, before being under control by the Sudbury Basin Mines, Limited. It was also known to have consisted of six patent claims and an additionally 16 claims that were staked by the Sudbury Basin Mines, Limited. The main vein within the Cheney Copper Property had additionally been traced for 4,750 feet. In addition to this, there are also some blank stretches within this distance and over considerable sections it is only a few inches wide. In other sections this vein is considered to widen to several feet, where it is well mineralized with chalcopyrite, which is the only ore mineral. The main gauge mineral at the Cheney Mine is quartz, but there is a little calcite and siderite, and in one pit there is also a band of barite that's 18 inches to 3 feet thick. A small amount of pyrite is also known to occur with the chalcopyrite, and spectacular hematite that is found in the main vein. Most of the veins within the general area are also covered by rich specularite, that is usually micaceous in form, which are generally vugs lined with quartz crystals. This deposit in most places is a lode that consists of parallel stringers of quartz and chalcopyrite, and there are numerous angular fragments of the wall rock enclosed in the ore. The general sequence of events within the mineralization is known to also constitute fracturing of the Country Rock, deposition of quartz gangue, deposition of barite and pyrite, the formation of chalcopyrite in fractures of the earlier minerals, and deposition of calcite.
The strike of the main vein zone varies from east to a few degrees north of east and the dip average between 045 to 060 degrees south. Development of the main shaft was first started with a dip of 060 degrees, before reaching below the depth of 50 feet where it was 055 degrees. In early part of development it was known for following the vein closely to the 50-foot level that was made in 1915, by the Cheney Copper Mines, Limited. From here its commonly considered to become flattened on the 50-foot level at 045 degrees, and the shaft swinging away from it which made it necessary to crosscut a considerable distance to reach the vein at the 150-foot level. Lateral development that consisted of a west drift on the 150-foot level had followed this vein west for some distance along the diabase dike where the vein had pitched out. From here it had then swung southward in order to pick up the vein on the south side of this dike that was encountered. To the east of this shaft the vein had rather followed northward from the dike for 80 feet where this dike had ended or swung southward. Its the east of the shaft where the vein is exposed by pits for 130 feet which was 17 feet wide, and had quartz stringer projected into the country rock. It beyond these pits that a ridge of gravel is commonly known to cover the vein, in which several large size pits were dug but did not expose the vein. In addition to these, exposure there are other veins that were discovered near lamb lake, that was about 10 chains east of the main shaft. Within these pits the lode, which ranges from 10 to 20 feet in width and dips 055 degrees S, is irregular and tends to break into stringers with streaks of chalcopyrite in the quartz gangue. The last trace of this vein is also additionally found on an island in the lake where number of quartz stringers outcrop.
On the west side of the road near the shaft house, the vein is exposed in two pits from which some high-grade ore had been shipped. Much of the larger pits, also constitute lode, which made up of stringers of quartz and chalcopyrite in diabase and conglomerates. There is also one lens of quartz that 8 feet wide, well mineralized and containing a streak that's partially solid chalcopyrite 6-inches wide. From here the vein pitches out on the surface, as it does underground and reappears on the south side of the dike a short distance farther west. The vein exposed in pits near the shaft is known to continue to a considerable depth as is indicated by old diamond drilling reports from Hole No. 1, which was started at 450 feet to the south and cut the vein at about 460 feet below ground. At this depth the vein is strongly known to have an average width of 5 feet which contains a band of chalcopyrite that's a foot in width. One of the main veins worked was known as the Main Vein Zone that has a length of nine-tenths of a mile and contains excellent ore in some sections, carrying 5 to 15% Cu copper over a width of 2 to 4 feet.
Exploration work would once again take place when Pioneer Consulting had indicated that 3 drill holes intersected 2% Cu over 8 to 11 feet in 1955. One diamond drill hole had also intersected 8.45% Cu over 1-foot and 1 ddh oriented to intersect the mineralized vein at 1000 feet below the surface did not intersect this vein.
In 1989, Heaven Resource Corporation had conducted minimal explorations in the area that included grab sampling, Surveying, and geological mapping. Most of the work at this time was confined to further evaluating the Gould Copper Property that situated close to the Cheney Copper Mine in Gould Township.
Within 2007, Amador Gold Corporation had taken option on the property that was presently owned by two prospectors and the surface rights are also owned by private land owners. Amador Gold Corp had additionally reported that the main vein on the Cheney Mine Property consisted of quartz, specularite, chalcopyrite, malachite stain, and chalcocite. There are also several parallel vein systems that were exposed to the south of the main vein that was worked and developed at depth. This foremost formation is apart of the Gowganda Formation that's exposed along the rock cut consists of shallow dipping paraconglomerate with lenses of orange arkosic sandstones and argillites. A grab sample that was obtained from the main trench had rather returned modest assays for copper of 0.23% Cu. Another grab sample from the waste pile had contained a significant amount of iron carbonate and 6% Cu. Results from the channel assay of the veins along high-way 120 south of the Cheney Mine indicated three of the five veins sampled with an average grade of 2 to 8% Cu that occurred in chalcopyrite.